If at first you don't succeed, blame the game and try again - A San Marino Youth Challenge 2.0

Bedese

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Black and Yellow said:

I have been a long time lurker and just want to say I have a ton of respect for this save! Just a shame you can't get a new chairman in an intake, eh!? :lol:

Thank you! I think if we buy a cannon, then shoot our chairman out of one while we tie up our HOYD and make him watch, we might actually be able to do something about that :lol: 

Youth Intake Day!

07fd40b4ecdfe55bbc387f59f989b823.png

bf94466bc82ee7037dfb7d6705f18101.png

He's a cross between a LW and a CAM - and isn't great at either right now - but anyone with 5* PA is fine by me.

b2baf2d343c5f61a21c9eecdeff752bd.png

Well, we're going to be winning a few more headers in midfield ;) 

a2c1fd5663291f77dda8aea94cd768c5.png

He's not great at DM, but we need someone to go there...

3b149472278af3be0c098dc2d75fe804.png
c5e88329b3ea560e55f16c0414cd785c.png

7 minutes ago, Sir_Liam said:

Not the chairman again. :(

How much money have you got in the bank?  Presumably many many times what your chairman has just sold those players for...

Minus 385k, so actually not that much :lol: Still, it makes a lot more sense economically to keep them, because the millions for Europa Groups that they'll help you get to is way more beneficial than the ~70k you get for all of them combined. I guess our chairman never studied economics at school.

1 hour ago, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

07fd40b4ecdfe55bbc387f59f989b823.png

bf94466bc82ee7037dfb7d6705f18101.png

He's a cross between a LW and a CAM - and isn't great at either right now - but anyone with 5* PA is fine by me.

5.0 PA is indeed great, but in order for him to get there, you are going to have to keep playing him. I don't think CAM is it. WM(a) perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

5.0 PA is indeed great, but in order for him to get there, you are going to have to keep playing him. I don't think CAM is it. WM(a) perhaps?

I can get him gametime at CAM because I just play my youngsters in the league and cup anyway, but I'm really not sure what his best position is. If we had a RM then it'd be there. Problem is, the only wide man on my entire right side is a WB, and he's way too weak defensively for that. I don't want to train him to a new position on the left because it'll bite into his PA. I can get him gametime at CAM because I just play my youngsters in the league and cup anyway, so that's not a problem. I think I'd be better served using him as a CAM than as a RWB or training him to a LM, but I'm interested to see if you agree or not on that.

I certainly wouldn't re-train him as a ML.

What put me off any type of playmaker role were his attributes, but as poor as they are, they are actually good relative to his ability, (He just looks poor because I am used to a better standard of player so initially miss-judged him). 

An AP(a) for example wants the following. 

Dribbling 7
Firts Touch 13
Passing 8
Technique 8
Composure
Decisions 8
Off The Ball 7
Vision 11

When you look at it like that, factor in his age and the league he plays in, things are not looking nearly so poorly. 

Imagine if those attributes all went up 2 points? :eek:

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

11 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I certainly wouldn't re-train him as a ML.

What put me off any type of playmaker role were his attributes, but as poor as they are, they are actually good relative to his ability, (He just looks poor because I am used to a better standard of player so initially miss-judged him). 

An AP(a) for example wants the following. 

Dribbling 7
Firts Touch 13
Passing 8
Technique 8
Composure
Decisions 8
Off The Ball 7
Vision 11

When you look at it like that, factor in his age and the league he plays in, things are not looking nearly so poorly. 

Imagine if those attributes all went up 2 points? :eek:

This is why you're the best. He's my new CAM :D 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We're a lot weaker without all our players. Funny how that works, isn't it? We just about held on to win the league, but it wasn't easy.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:
Matteo Ercolani (YP125) - 7.71

He looks a lot better now the rest of our players have f***ed off.

Luca Canton (YP130) - 23

He's a pretty good striker.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Marcello Giorgini (YP132)

He's pretty decent technically, but I was having to use him at DM because we didn't have another one.

Aims for Next Season:

Groups.

Other teams:

League winners: :D

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Everton in the Playoff. Juvenes Dogana lost 3-0 to KR from Iceland, Folgore lost 3-0 to Ventspils from Latvia and Virtus lost 3-1 to Levski Sofia from Bulgaria.

2084 Results --------------- 2085 Results

Drawing and losing to Gibraltar is pathetic.

Here's your season review for this year:

b5066b377a9fa932fe827b218d18ed51.png

No Europe.

We were awful all year (my fault for playing the backups) and then lost two playoff games that we should have won. Our team is a complete mess right now, and we need some good intakes to sort that out. Until then, this is going to be bad. Our finances are going to take a bloody hammering.

I'm not bothering with any awards, because everyone was useless. Every other Sammarinese team lost in Europe, and the National Team did well in one game, drawing 1-1 with Scotland in a WC Qualifier. Onto next year.

1 hour ago, jengaehassim said:

Jupjamie, are you parking the bus in european matches?

Not especially, no. My theory is that the more we park the bus, the more pressure we'll be under because the ball just keeps coming back towards our goal, our players will tire much quicker and we'll get battered later on in the game. I'm defensive in Europe, but I wouldn't say I park the bus. Here's the tactic:

dbdb908f4ca49bc6155d5b465b46e9ab.png

It's set to counter, and the instructions on it are roam from positions, pass into space, be more expressive and low crosses. Individual instructions are for my keeper to kick it out to the FB/WB and to slow the pace down, for my BBM to try more risky passes, my DLF to roam, move into channels and close down much more and my AF to roam and close down much more.

12 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Interesting tactic, quite unusual shape.

Haha, thank you :D I went for it when we had two fantastic strikers, but our best player was a CAM, with the next two best players being wingers. Our weak spot was LB, and the only way I worked out of fitting all our best players into a starting lineup was to go with a LWB rather than a LB and play one of the wingers there. 

I originally had it as two CMs but that got battered, so I dropped it to one CM and one DM on the side without a FB to compensate for any defensive weaknesses, and that's worked wonders for me so far, with some great results in Europe. I've flipped the sides (so a RWB and LM now rather than a LWB and RM) because of the strengths of our current squad, but I'm very happy with the tactic.

Of course, it would be better if our chairman hadn't sold most of the players who made it work :D 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Back on top.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:
Marino Berti (YP137) - 8.40

Wow. He's developed at an insane rate. He's by far our best player now, and we're about to tie him down to an 8 year contract :D 

Luca Canton (YP130) - 24

I really like him.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Massimo Gualandi (YP136)

He's a decent second striker.

Aims for Next Season:

We're nowhere near strong enough for the groups, so lets just settle for a good intake.

Other teams:

League winners: :D

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: Fiorentino lost 5-1 to BATE.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: Cailungo lost 3-1 to Skonto from Latvia, Domagnano lost 7-0 to Hammarby and Juvenes Dogana lost 4-0 to Siroki Brijeg from Bosnia.

2086 Results --------------- 2087 Results

We tried really hard to not win that group, but it was such a poor one that we held on. San Marino are going up to Division C - but more importantly, I believe they have a Euro Playoff to attend to coming up...

14 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Not especially, no. My theory is that the more we park the bus, the more pressure we'll be under because the ball just keeps coming back towards our goal, our players will tire much quicker and we'll get battered later on in the game. I'm defensive in Europe, but I wouldn't say I park the bus. Here's the tactic:

dbdb908f4ca49bc6155d5b465b46e9ab.png

It's set to counter, and the instructions on it are roam from positions, pass into space, be more expressive and low crosses. Individual instructions are for my keeper to kick it out to the FB/WB and to slow the pace down, for my BBM to try more risky passes, my DLF to roam, move into channels and close down much more and my AF to roam and close down much more.

Interesting. What's the driver behind the tactic? Is it  something that you have developed previously because it works, or is kt something that is designed specifically for this group of players and you adapt it as the players come and go?

I love hearing/reading other people's thinking behind their tactics.

17 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Here's your season review for this year:

b5066b377a9fa932fe827b218d18ed51.png

No Europe.

We were awful all year (my fault for playing the backups) and then lost two playoff games that we should have won. Our team is a complete mess right now, and we need some good intakes to sort that out. Until then, this is going to be bad. Our finances are going to take a bloody hammering.

I'm not bothering with any awards, because everyone was useless. Every other Sammarinese team lost in Europe, and the National Team did well in one game, drawing 1-1 with Scotland in a WC Qualifier. Onto next year.

It's not good, but it's certainly interesting. 

Have you had a look at your Sammarinese rivals who did qualify for Europe and see where their strength came from?

Better intakes?

Italians?

Foreigners?

Loans from parent clubs?

Something else?

17 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Interesting. What's the driver behind the tactic? Is it  something that you have developed previously because it works, or is kt something that is designed specifically for this group of players and you adapt it as the players come and go?

I love hearing/reading other people's thinking behind their tactics.

It's completely drawn up just for this save. Our five best players at the time I made it were two strikers, a CAM and two wingers. I wanted a way to get them all on the pitch at once, so I drew this up to let that happen. The great thing about this save is if a tactic doesn't work, it doesn't matter - you were going to get tanked anyway, so it's worth a try. I got smashed originally, dropped one of the CMs back to a DM for more defensive stability, and things just clicked. I'll have to adapt it when our squad strengths and weaknesses change, but so far I've been able to keep it the same and just flip the sides (so my WB used to be on the left and my winger on the right etc).

21 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

It's not good, but it's certainly interesting. 

Have you had a look at your Sammarinese rivals who did qualify for Europe and see where their strength came from?

Better intakes?

Italians?

Foreigners?

Loans from parent clubs?

Something else?

I have, actually. I scouted every single player the other teams produced in intakes (which really weren't many - a lot of the teams only produced a handful of players and I'm pretty sure some of them didn't have an intake at all), but they were all useless. They haven't really been loaning many players in, either. Instead, they're picking up rejects from Serie C/D teams in Italy, who are pretty good for this level - no-where near as good as our players, but good enough to cause us trouble if we aren't careful.

16 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

It's completely drawn up just for this save. Our five best players at the time I made it were two strikers, a CAM and two wingers. I wanted a way to get them all on the pitch at once, so I drew this up to let that happen. The great thing about this save is if a tactic doesn't work, it doesn't matter - you were going to get tanked anyway, so it's worth a try. I got smashed originally, dropped one of the CMs back to a DM for more defensive stability, and things just clicked. I'll have to adapt it when our squad strengths and weaknesses change, but so far I've been able to keep it the same and just flip the sides (so my WB used to be on the left and my winger on the right etc).

Just a suggestion so feel free to completely ignore, but maybe you should experiment just a tiny bit more with roles then?

Specifically in the AMC slot as he's your best player and vital to your team, maybe you could get more out of him than you currently do as a SS.

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Just a suggestion so feel free to completely ignore, but maybe you should experiment just a tiny bit more with roles then?

Specifically in the AMC slot as he's your best player and vital to your team, maybe you could get more out of him than you currently do as a SS.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. I can't decide whether to use him as an AP(S) or AP(A), but I think I'll start him out as an AP(A) and see how it goes.

1 minute ago, Jupjamie said:

I was just thinking the exact same thing. I can't decide whether to use him as an AP(S) or AP(A), but I think I'll start him out as an AP(A) and see how it goes.

If you are going to do that, have a think about the relationship between the AP(a) or AP(s) as the case may be, and think is the DLF(s) going to look to inhabit a similar space as the playmaker? (I would suggest that it is). If that's the case, you need to have a think and maybe experiment with other roles that will take the DLF(s) into other areas, but where he is also not going to conflict with the AF(a). For the record, I have played 2 AF(a)'s together in the same tactic before so don't think that you can't double up, (although there are better alternatives).

7 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

If you are going to do that, have a think about the relationship between the AP(a) or AP(s) as the case may be, and think is the DLF(s) going to look to inhabit a similar space as the playmaker? (I would suggest that it is). If that's the case, you need to have a think and maybe experiment with other roles that will take the DLF(s) into other areas, but where he is also not going to conflict with the AF(a). For the record, I have played 2 AF(a)'s together in the same tactic before so don't think that you can't double up, (although there are better alternatives).

The best way to experiment is by seeing it in action. I have a feeling that the AP(A) might attack space that opens up when the DLF drops deep, but we'll see what happens.

Archived