Never seen a player dribble round a goalkeeper...?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2017 at 10:02, upthetoon said:

good thing I've put off buying this game.. will be skipping this version entirely. it shows just how little ME has actually progress in the basics.

I don't understand the pelters FM17 gets on here.. I think it's good. The way the players ping the ball about now is really satisfying.

On 1/17/2017 at 03:04, RobertPage said:

I second this. IMO the game is ugly in terms of watching matches. I try to get my friends to play the game but with no luck. Reason? Graphics. Understandable that it may not be possible to have it all but despite the additional animations the matches still look very rigid and lack fluidity in everything. Often good goals looks bad due to body shape and movement and watching defensive and goalkeeping errors make you want to rip your hair out when it's against you or make you laugh when for you.

I'd love something to be made for those with Hi End PC's to play the matches on with good quality graphics and animations.

Watching goals of the month from different leagues on FM17 shows how limited and outdated the ME is.

Identical long range efforts

No dribbles,tricks,chips,rounding the keeper,

No long range freekicks, volleys or maybe a good team goal with a lovely through ball or one two.

This is 2017 and it's not good enough IMHO

26 minutes ago, qwerty22 said:

Watching goals of the month from different leagues on FM17 shows how limited and outdated the ME is.

No long range freekicks, volleys or maybe a good team goal with a lovely through ball or one two.

Just use the 2D match engine, which is still a joy to watch.

On 1/18/2017 at 07:51, qwerty22 said:

To be fair, that's a pretty poor way to evaluate the goals that are scored in any edition of FM. Very easily could be that the function is biased towards a certain type while a bounty of all those types of goals are being ignored for selection.

On 18/01/2017 at 13:51, qwerty22 said:

Pretty much all of these exist.

On 12/01/2017 at 10:16, Silver Twilight Sparkle said:

I've been saying this for years, players never try to dribble a GK or lob him. Having them do this would really improve the finishing that a lot of people complain, especially during counter attacks as players have plenty of space to do this but just miss them all the time.

I have seen, but rarely for both. I think lob shots more often than dribble the GK. But generally the lob shots goes over the bar.

On 13/01/2017 at 12:30, HUNT3R said:

Collision avoidance works just fine, but there are no actual collisions in the game. That's why it can't happen. It's not a matter of something that hasn't been fixed. It's that collisions don't exist and it'll require a massive re-write to add.

A good explanation, finally. 

On 13/01/2017 at 14:58, eriktous said:

Might also give a bit more incentive to put a substitute goalkeeper on the bench. Right now, I see absolutely no reason to do so.

You should put one. There will be a moment your GK will get injured and you will need a substitute. 

On 14/01/2017 at 06:00, xzar_monty said:

There's a lot that doesn't happen, although the game gives you every indication that it should.

1) Goalies don't distribute quickly (even though the match engine gives you an option and they are even able to develop a flat bullet throw).

2) Nobody tries overhead kicks (even though there is a PPM for it).

3) Strikers don't round keepers (despite the PPM).

4) Lobs. Well, in my view, these DO happen, but they are exceedingly rare. Much more rare than they should be.

Never seen #1, #2 or #3. I agree that #2 should be rather rare, but during the course of a season, I would expect to see at least a few.

1) Me as amateur gk annoys myself with that kind of thing. It's bad animation for positioning before to save a shot, the GKs don't tackle strikers when necessary (mainly if he's a sweeper GK, he need to be really a sweeper to clean balls behind the defensive line but generally the GKs don't follow well the def line. And other things.

2) Really. Very rare. I think funny it's just overhead kicks when happens, none a volley kick. 

3) Very very very very rare.

4) They happens, but more rare than real.

On 14/01/2017 at 06:33, Barside said:

Keepsr can be booked & sent off in the full match engine but only for handling the ball outside the area.

Just in that way.

On 14/01/2017 at 07:17, Dagenham_Dave said:

On a similar note, has anyone actually seen a keeper punch the ball? All keepers have the 'tendency to punch' stat, but I don't think I've ever seen it in all the versions of the game. 

They punch sometimes. I think it could happen a bit more, but it is not annoying me than the lack of collisions, foul on GK, Gk committing fouls on the strikers and so on. 

On 14/01/2017 at 12:11, xzar_monty said:

@Arkim: That's superb! Thank you. Overheads kick ought to be rather rare. I'm not sure how often they happen in real life, but would it be realistic to guess that in the English Premier League, we perhaps see one or two per week? (I don't mean a *goal*, simply an attempt will do.)

And so, I challenge anyone to come forth with a video or a pkm of

1) quick throw from a goalie

2) goalie punching the ball

3) striker rounding the keeper

4) someone lobbing the keeper.

I will be very happy to be proven wrong in all of these. I think I've seen ONE lob, but I'm not sure. The rest, never. #1 and #2, especially, should be seen in basically every match.

1) i haven't seen it because there is a standard animation to GKs put the ball in game, this just is quicker or not depending the situation of the team and the match.

2) they punch, yes

3) very rare

4) not too rare but generally the player misses the shot. 

3 hours ago, tiago_wakabayashi said:

You should put one. There will be a moment your GK will get injured and you will need a substitute.

I'm not convinced. That's just one lost game (at most). To me that doesn't outweigh all the games where I can have an extra outfield option on the bench. Especially in leagues that only allow five subs on the bench.

53 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I would love someone to post a video of a keeper punching the ball, as I've never seen it on any version of FM ever. 

Seriously? I can't believe that.

A few versions ago I had two first team keepers (Can't remember which club).  One used to catch crosses no problem but the other punched virtually everything, even ones that were easy catches.

It does seem to have gone out of FM a bit although someone has linked a pic in the OTF FM thread of a keeper punching.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 00:25, eriktous said:

I'm not convinced. That's just one lost game (at most). To me that doesn't outweigh all the games where I can have an extra outfield option on the bench. Especially in leagues that only allow five subs on the bench.

i haven't had a keeper on the bench since CM01/02. I tend to make my subs around 60th minute anyway.... so lets say my keeper is injured once in game per season... it'd also have to happen in the first 60 mins for me to benefit from a sub keeper... and the game would have to be close for it to matter... I much prefer the bonus slot for a good youngster or an extra utility man to make necessary tactical changes easier to implement.

11 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I would love someone to post a video of a keeper punching the ball, as I've never seen it on any version of FM ever. 

happens quite often for me ... I have areola in goal. if I see one in game this week ill try post a screen shot. Vids have to be 10 seconds long and as soon as they are, the file seems to big to upload here and I have no other vid tech!

Archived