FM Morals/Ethics surrounding reloading

Kant says you should be ashamed. Mill says it's fine if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else.

Haha! As a political scientist this made me laugh good and well!

For the OP: personally I don't reload - ever (I hate when FM crashes and I have to replay matches even, no matter the result - hence my OCD saving all the time). I couldn't care less what others do though. Whatever floats your boat mate :)

I had a thread similar to this about Rage Quitting because you lose a match that you should have won easily or because you have a key player with a long term injury. Like someone said play the game how you please, some people consider you Satan for doing it and some people take it a little bit easier.

As someone who finds that my emotions get the better of me very easily, I don't blame people for finding themselves doing it out of frustration or depression (as opposed to it being a calculated decision). especially in high-pressure situations as I've been in that boat numerous times. However over time I've managed to control myself better and manage to restrain myself whatever happens. My most recent match is a good case in point...

I'm playing as Juventus, going to Lazio just befoe the winter break. The two of us and Milan (who would likely win the following day and go top if neither of us did, though in the end they actually lost) making for a very tight group of 3 at the top all season long, so while it was only half-way through the pressure was very much on. After taking the lead we were severely on the back foot in the second-half and I was going to put my sub forward on, only to find that I had made a major blunder when making changes before the match and he was playing in defence!!! It was one of those occasions when they score right at the point you make changes (even with the match paused) and they topped it all off with a winner right at the end of the game (though we're still level on points at the top after Milan blew their chance).

I feel satisfied that having been able to accept that I'm able to keep my head and continue no matter what now but sometimes the emotional impulse can be very strong for some people.

I found myself with a bit more self control over the years, right now I am playing with my Norwich side missing 7 key players all through injury including my young up and coming striker who is currently topping the goal charts and my no 1 keeper. Usually this would cause a rage quit and a reload! But now I just played through the pain watching my second XI making mistakes and just thinking 'oh if he wasn't injured he would have scored that!' In the end I am a lucky boy two games with my second XI (both lost 2-1) now I am on international break allowing the team time to rest and come back from those injuries. Not going to say don't rage quit but just look at the fixtures and see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel

It's fair in general, to restart after an accidental omission or slip, it's not likely that you'd ever accidentally walk away from a contract negotiation for example, in real life, which I have done, leading me to lose a key player ultimately, as he kept saying he wouldn't enter into negotiations after the previous ones "broke down". By that point the game had already autosaved and I'd let it go on as I thought it would be salvageable, but should have reloaded right away really.

If I make an error (like picking my League Cup team for a CL game), and I feel it's affected the result, I reload. Why?

Because if it were RL, such a mistake wouldn't be made. If I mess up the team talk or make bad tactical choices, that's what I would call a 'realistic' error.

If I make an error (like picking my League Cup team for a CL game), and I feel it's affected the result, I reload. Why?

Because if it were RL, such a mistake wouldn't be made. If I mess up the team talk or make bad tactical choices, that's what I would call a 'realistic' error.

That is the extent of my reloading as well; once I must have had a mouse spasm on the team selection as when I went into the game my #1 CB was in goal, and a midfielder was at CB. Reloaded that match. Still lost. :lol:

Used to quit and reload loads, like absolutely loads, then eventually realised I was just kidding myself.

These days I only do it when one of my players gets injured in pre-season friendlies that would keep him out of a competitive game, nothing more annoying. Once the season starts though I take it all like a man.

Whatever maintains your enjoyment. If save scumming is what keeps you interested in a save, go for it. I've done it sometimes early in a save until it manages to "grab me" with the storylines unfolding. But then I'm not gonna post screenshots of my resulting winstreak and share them on the boards.

Ultimately I don't think its something you can rely on for maintaining enjoyment in a sandbox strategy game. Doesn't matter if we're talking about Football Manager or Europa Universalis. But I still do it if the choice is between "save scum" or "lose interest in the save."

Something I did recently was forget to notice that a key player returning from a injury (at 72% condition) was called up by his national team for a friendly and inexplicably played in said friendly and re-injured. I reloaded and withdrew him from the squad, because before I simply didn't even look to make sure he wasn't called up. I'm not gonna beat myself up over doing that.

I only reload if the game has completely cheated me out of a game. E.g- being given a penalty and scoring it yet to only see that the game thinks that it has missed and not given the goal even though the ball is in the net :confused:

I only reload if the game has completely cheated me out of a game. E.g- being given a penalty and scoring it yet to only see that the game thinks that it has missed and not given the goal even though the ball is in the net :confused:

Animation issue as far as I'm aware - as in the wrong animation is selected for what has actually happened. If in doubt, trust the ME, (read the match report), and not what you see in the highlights.

The only real point is, if you do reload don't tout the effectiveness of your tactics, training etc and don't brag about your achievements because ultimately they don't hold as much water.

Archived