Emulating Van Gaal tactics in game

Hey guys,

As a huge United fan, I'm always playing FM in the way of trying to recreate what the real life team does, tactic signings etc, and with the news that it's more or less going to be Van Gaal that will be the new manager, I've started trying to research his normal style of play, formations and managerial approach.

What I've found so far is that he works between two formations - primarily a 433 with a deep lying playmaker in front of the back 4 and wingers wide. He also uses a 4231 sometimes. So what i'm trying to do now is figure out what other aspects of his tactics are, and how to best emulate them in Football Manager.

Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Simon

(Could someone edit the title of the thread since i was heavy handed with my l's)

I read this recently about what he is trying to achieve with the Dutch team.

''Correct. In my view, this fits our skills better. We want to create some space. Make the playing field tight. Easier to get possession back and once we do, we can use the space up front with the specific qualities of Robben, Lens, Narsingh, Schaken and Van Persie. We sort of demonstrated that against – of all opponents – Andorra. Against them, we pressured high up the park. We did get the ball back early but hardly any space to move. Against Romania, we dropped deeper and we were much more effective. I call that provoking pressure.

We did that in my AZ days too, but no one recognised it. Everyone said we played so offensive, but we really didn’t. We were quick on the break once we had the ball, sure, but we always created our space first. That is a subtle difference to the Barcelona system, which I want Oranje to play. The passing game Barca plays is technically perfect, but its too wide.

They play the ball 10 meters diagonally max, and then back again or wide to the other flank. I believe in bypassing the nearest stations and finding the goal more directly. You need to provoke the space first, so to speak. And then you can utilise space for swift, deep actions. I think it’s more entertaining and more effective. Barca wants the ball really quickly but they will be high up the park and they will have absorped lots of space doing so. Despite the moments of genius of a couple of world class players it gets boring, to me. KNVB wants me to develop or re-discover a Dutch style of playing. Barca style isn't.''

Funny you should ask this. I'm actually trying to replicate his style at Anderlecht at the moment. It's quite difficult but this is my interpretation. I'm sure one of the more tactically sound can correct my errors. These are just brain dumps, not a coherent explanation.

Typically a 4-3-3 with 7 lines.

GK

DC DC

DR DL

DM

CM CM

AML AMR

STR

Keeper passing short to the defenders. Transition the ball vertically more than horizontally. Play wider. In possession with wingers should be wide to create space and open up the defence but come in with the ball. The central midfielders should be more technically proficient rather than destroyers. Think Xavi not Keane.

Mobility wise lots of movement from the full backs, wingers and central midfielders — other positions stick to positions, i.e., CDs, AMC and striker.

Defensively likes one of the 4 defenders to join the midfield in attacks. Three staying back.

Quick passing isn't important, but possession and passing is. Lots of fluid movement and passing options.

This is what i have come up with so far. Focusing on the 433 first and then this can easily be tweaked to a 4231.

I've gone for a rigid formation with a control focus.

GK - Sweeper Keeper

DR - Complete Wing back

DL - Complete Wing back

DC - Central Defender

DC - Ball playing defender

DM - Deep lying playmaker

RCM - Advanced Playmaker

LCM - Box to Box midfielder

AMR - Inside Forward

AML - Winger

CF - Complete Centre forward

Contemplating changing specific roles in the team depending on what other think.

Team instructions are as follows:

Shorter passing

Work ball into box

Play out of defence

Drill Crosses

Exploit the wings

Play wider

Push higher

Hassle opponents

Get stuck in

Higher tempo

Be more expressive

Not sure if i should be including retain possession and pass into space - (Maybe someone could advise better on these)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm currently trying to implement a dutch school philosophy with United :)

Currently got a 41221. 4231 and Gaal's Ajax 121232 (3-4-3)

Gaal normally has his 3CMs setup as a dlp ,box to box and a AP. He prefers his STs to hold-up the ball and play others in as well as score so a DLF works there. He is normally a pure winger man but has used a IF more often in recent times (Robben)

I've gone down the quick passing route as it just looks better. High pressure, high defense line early Gaal-esque , short passes with high tempo Fluid and attacking/control. I have a sweeper GK to make him play the ball quick with throws and cover the high line. Gaal would normally move a FB to mid to make his 3-4-3 just like Cruyff I gone a different route and made both the FBs very attacking and made the dlp midfielder become the 3rd defending player which works as a DLP but a halfback would be better in terms of defense. In a way it is a even more attacking than any of the dutch school managers which I may need to adjust if it gets cut through and we don't dominate enough.

This is what i have come up with so far. Focusing on the 433 first and then this can easily be tweaked to a 4231.

GK - Sweeper Keeper

DR - Complete Wing back

DL - Complete Wing back

DC - Central Defender

RCM - Advanced Playmaker

AMR - Inside Forward

AML - Winger

Contemplating changing specific roles in the team depending on what other think.

Shorter passing

Work ball into box

Play out of defence

Drill Crosses

Exploit the wings

Play wider

Push higher

Hassle opponents

Get stuck in

Higher tempo

Be more expressive

Not sure if i should be including retain possession and pass into space - (Maybe someone could advise better on these)

Close to mine I have my CBs both to Central Defenders but may try a Ball playing defender to go a bit more direct and more true to Gaal. I gone DLF rather than complete mainly cause of RVP.

I wouldn't use retain possession as leads to more pointless possession more than anything and will take the quickness out of the attack.

GK - Sweeper Keeper

DR - Complete Wing back

DL - Complete Wing back

DC - Central Defender

RCM - Advanced Playmaker

AMR - Inside Forward

AML - Winger

Shorter passing

Work ball into box

Play out of defence

Drill Crosses

Exploit the wings

Play wider

Push higher

Hassle opponents

Get stuck in

Higher tempo

Be more expressive

You want to play a possession based style of football - exploiting the flanks isn't the way to do this.

Likewise, playing wider and exploiting the flanks will lead to your team running the ball out wide and then having little to do with it bar drill in crosses.

Hassling opponents is an extreme shout that will serve to kill your own players physically. It's rarely advised to use it for 90 minutes and if you are going to, it is advised you put other extreme measures into place to make it easier on your players (generally speaking you'd be advised to push much higher alongside it in order to compress as much space as possible).

You're playing a higher tempo on a control duty which already promotes a higher tempo. Something to reconsider.

The long and short of it is, though, that you've got 11 shouts selected. That's shout overkill. You should consider a starting base of 4-5 shouts and only add/remove as you see fit to achieve what you want.

Ask yourself, are the following shouts really necessary?

- Drill Crosses

- Exploit The Flanks

- Hassle Opponents

- Higher Tempo

- Get Stuck In

Would leave you with a decent base of:

- Shorter Passing

- Play Wider

- Push Higher Up

- Work Ball Into Box

- Play Out Of Defence

- Be More Expressive (I would even question the use of this and contemplate Fluid Fluidity instead of Rigid which adds plenty of freedom in itself)

It's a much less convoluted, simpler template already. There's no contradictions (except possibly the final one but that's not strictly a contradiction). It's concise and still achieves what you want to a basic level.

Your actual player roles seem fine to me. :thup:

Hassling opponents is an extreme shout that will serve to kill your own players physically. It's rarely advised to use it for 90 minutes and if you are going to, it is advised you put other extreme measures into place to make it easier on your players (generally speaking you'd be advised to push much higher alongside it in order to compress as much space as possible)

I keep seeing people say this all the time lately when its not true. Yes its an extreme shout but its not really that extreme and its perfectly fine to use it all the time and for 90 minutes, not sure why everyone is advising not to use it for 90 minutes at all.

I agree with the rest of your points though.

I keep seeing people say this all the time lately when its not true. Yes its an extreme shout but its not really that extreme and its perfectly fine to use it all the time and for 90 minutes, not sure why everyone is advising not to use it for 90 minutes at all.

Cleon what would make you dedcide when to use the Hassle Opponent shout. Lam was stating that there is no point using it if your team has low aggression and low work rate. While others gamers are saying that you should never use the should against technical inferior sides with great pace up front and on the wings.

I am a great fan of the current Chile side. I like the way they press and play in the opponents final third most of the time. I want to re-create this style of play with my Arsenal team but I am not sure what strategy or philosophy to use and I do not know what shouts to use to achieve this style of play.

I'm thinking more something like Control+Fluid with the following TIs:

- Retain Possession, Pass Into Space, Play out of Defense, Float Crosses, Push Higher Up, Roam From Position, Hassle Opponents, Higher Tempo

Could you have a look at my settings and let me know if I am using the correct instructions to achieve the high pressing style of play that is used by Chile and Dortmund sides. My formation of choice will be either a 4-2-3-1 Denmark or 4-1-4-1 formation.

I'd avoid hassle opponents if you want to keep your shape. Van Gaal is always talking about organisation, transitions and disorganisation. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure hassling opponents will pull your players out of position as they look to close down the ball more.

You want to play a possession based style of football - exploiting the flanks isn't the way to do this.

Likewise, playing wider and exploiting the flanks will lead to your team running the ball out wide and then having little to do with it bar drill in crosses.

Hassling opponents is an extreme shout that will serve to kill your own players physically. It's rarely advised to use it for 90 minutes and if you are going to, it is advised you put other extreme measures into place to make it easier on your players (generally speaking you'd be advised to push much higher alongside it in order to compress as much space as possible).

You're playing a higher tempo on a control duty which already promotes a higher tempo. Something to reconsider.

The long and short of it is, though, that you've got 11 shouts selected. That's shout overkill. You should consider a starting base of 4-5 shouts and only add/remove as you see fit to achieve what you want.

- Drill Crosses

- Exploit The Flanks

- Hassle Opponents

- Higher Tempo

- Get Stuck In

- Shorter Passing

- Play Wider

- Push Higher Up

- Work Ball Into Box

- Play Out Of Defence

- Be More Expressive (I would even question the use of this and contemplate Fluid Fluidity instead of Rigid which adds plenty of freedom in itself)

It's a much less convoluted, simpler template already. There's no contradictions (except possibly the final one but that's not strictly a contradiction). It's concise and still achieves what you want to a basic level.

I can see what you mean now about the contradictory team instructions. Only when you see it written down that you see the logical point of view.

I'll give your instructions a try, think they will be alot closer to LVG's tactics than what I'd come up with.

When I move to a 4231, what role do you think would be best suited for my AMC? Not sure if Van Gaal prefers a second striker/tranquiesta sort in there.

I'd avoid hassle opponents if you want to keep your shape. Van Gaal is always talking about organisation, transitions and disorganisation. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure hassling opponents will pull your players out of position as they look to close down the ball more.

It depends on how high and how attacking you play. Hassling opponents doesn't have to equal = players out of position, the set up its used in and the shape are all important. Tempo, Mentality, width and d-line all play a part in just how far someone has to close down. They'll only get caught out of position if you say for example sit deep and try to hassle opponents as there would be more space that would be needed to make up for the high closing down. But if you was using a high line then there wouldn't really be a gap, so they'd keep shape more etc.

Simon - I'd reccomend using rigid if you are trying to emulate LvG due to him having players knowing exactly what their role is and giving them specific jobs, rigid represents this a lot better. He's a very rigid manager.

As for the AMC in a 4-2-3-1 it depends on what striker he uses. He likes his striker to hold up the ball but still score goals, but he likes very attack minded wingers/IF's with the striker playing them into good positions and linking play up for them. So depending on who you had as the striker would determine what the AMC should be used as. If the striker you have isn't the type who can play others in then use the AMC as an AP maybe? If the striker is comfortable with linking play then have someone more aggressive who is a goal threat like LvG does, so maybe an AM on attack or a shadow striker etc.

Although LvG prefers the 4-3-3 over the 4-2-3-1 as he likes his midfielder deeper. He hardly ever strays from the 4-3-3

It depends on how high and how attacking you play. Hassling opponents doesn't have to equal = players out of position, the set up its used in and the shape are all important. Tempo, Mentality, width and d-line all play a part in just how far someone has to close down. They'll only get caught out of position if you say for example sit deep and try to hassle opponents as there would be more space that would be needed to make up for the high closing down. But if you was using a high line then there wouldn't really be a gap, so they'd keep shape more etc.

Simon - I'd reccomend using rigid if you are trying to emulate LvG due to him having players knowing exactly what their role is and giving them specific jobs, rigid represents this a lot better. He's a very rigid manager.

As for the AMC in a 4-2-3-1 it depends on what striker he uses. He likes his striker to hold up the ball but still score goals, but he likes very attack minded wingers/IF's with the striker playing them into good positions and linking play up for them. So depending on who you had as the striker would determine what the AMC should be used as. If the striker you have isn't the type who can play others in then use the AMC as an AP maybe? If the striker is comfortable with linking play then have someone more aggressive who is a goal threat like LvG does, so maybe an AM on attack or a shadow striker etc.

Although LvG prefers the 4-3-3 over the 4-2-3-1 as he likes his midfielder deeper. He hardly ever strays from the 4-3-3

Cleon with regards to the teams shape and hassle opponents - would you say that the 4-2-3-1 (2xCm) is better than 4-1-4-1 when you want to hassle opponents or does it really matter what shape you as long as the d-line is push higher when the team is told to hassle opponent. My second question is about width, tempo and mentality.

Would higher tempo and play wider be the correct shouts to use with hassle opponent and a high defence line. Would it be better to use a attacking or control strategy alongside fluid or very fluid.

It is still quite extreme, though. It ruins shape, it encourages reckless chasing of the ball akin to kids in a playground 'playing football' and that naturally drains player's fitness. You either need to have a big/manageable squad to play hassle opponents for 90 minutes every game of every season or you need to have incredibly fit players. I use Hassle for 90 minutes in a couple of saves - I've detailed my use of it in my 433 thread a bit - and it can work wonders but unless I'm compressing space as much as possible then I wouldn't even consider using it because the gaps left open would be suicidal, for one. Thankfully I've got a lot of fit/energetic players so I can get away with it but if I didn't have that I wouldn't use it.

I play a game on the Sunday and my players start at 100%. After the game they're at around 70%. By the game seven days later without any playing in between, their fitness is usually between 93-98% (only one or two players get close to 100%).

That's simply all I mean when I say it's 'extreme'. It's a shout I encourage under certain circumstances/in specific systems because it can be very useful. But without those precursors it can be suicidal as I've found out on other saves :D

Cleon, if I would like my attacking players (midfielders & attackers) to press high up the field without using the ’hassle opp’ shout but my defensive players to keep shape and not closing down as aggresively (yet not standing off, if you know what I mean)

1. can I do that via players instructions? seems like some offensive positions has that PI but some don’t due to their already aggresive closing down, so all I have to do is use ’close down more’ on those that doesn’t have that greyed out

2. would that create a big gap between the aggresive closing down offensive players & not as aggresive defensive players? can I minimize that by pushing much higher up?

- Drill Crosses

- Exploit The Flanks

- Hassle Opponents

- Higher Tempo

- Get Stuck In

- Shorter Passing

- Play Wider

- Push Higher Up

- Work Ball Into Box

- Play Out Of Defence

I've given this a go today and so far it's going well. Only thing I'm slightly disappointed in is that my possession stats are relatively low from what I expected. I'm currently averaging about 55% per game at the half way mark of the season. Not creating as many clear cut chances as I'd like either but I think I might need to adjust my player roles for this.

It is still quite extreme, though. It ruins shape, it encourages reckless chasing of the ball akin to kids in a playground 'playing football' and that naturally drains player's fitness. You either need to have a big/manageable squad to play hassle opponents for 90 minutes every game of every season or you need to have incredibly fit players. I use Hassle for 90 minutes in a couple of saves - I've detailed my use of it in my 433 thread a bit - and it can work wonders but unless I'm compressing space as much as possible then I wouldn't even consider using it because the gaps left open would be suicidal, for one. Thankfully I've got a lot of fit/energetic players so I can get away with it but if I didn't have that I wouldn't use it.

I play a game on the Sunday and my players start at 100%. After the game they're at around 70%. By the game seven days later without any playing in between, their fitness is usually between 93-98% (only one or two players get close to 100%).

That's simply all I mean when I say it's 'extreme'. It's a shout I encourage under certain circumstances/in specific systems because it can be very useful. But without those precursors it can be suicidal as I've found out on other saves :D

Meh, I disagree with this, although I play in the German league with less games per season than most Euro leagues. I do not personally see the "kids playground football" you are describing.

Play drop deeper and hassle and watch the result of it. Hassling is only truly effective if you press up the pitch too.

That I would thoroughly agree with.

I don't think Van Gaal presses as heavy as hassle opponents. The quote I posted above suggest he is trying to stand off and invite pressure with Holland instead of stepping up and pressing heavily as he wants to create space for his attackers.

Van Gaal belives in wingers , so wingers is essential in Van Gaal's philosophy.

Wide players is the key, so not only wingers, full-back also.

As Cleon and others said earlier, Van Gaal is really rigid manager, he wants every players on the pitch know what's their task, what they should do and what they shouldn't.

Van Gaal says he wants the striker to be main goalscorer in the team, though he would like to have striker who can hold the ball well and pass it to midfielders and wingers.

I come up with this

4-1-2-2-1 , 4-5-1 , 4-3-3 or whatever you want to call it :D

jkrl.jpg

Team instructions : Pass into space, Work ball in to box, Play narrower(?), Hassle opponent, Push Higher up

Play drop deeper and hassle and watch the result of it. Hassling is only truly effective if you press up the pitch too.

I've found it can be pretty effective in a very rigid formation against teams who park the bus. You need to drop deep to drag them out but then when they do come out you want to hassle them straight away to get the ball back.

I've also found more success now by playing a very high line without using the hassle opponents shout. Instead i instruct the front players to mark tighter and central midfielders and full backs to mark tighter and close down. The pressing seems more effective than using the Hassle Opponents shout and the 2 CD and anchor man keep their positions while the rest of the team presses.

Also I guess a lot does depend on the players being used in the tactic.

Finally on shouts I've found the more rigid you are playing the more shouts you need. To me rigid philosophy is more about being more controlling of how you want your players to act on the pitch. Having more instructions for them to follow makes sense to me.

Anyway always good to see another tactical thread on emulating a real life manager. Interesting to see what results people have with this approach.

Interesting you say that Cleon.

I must admit my understanding is different - perhaps I am talking more generally, as in his approach to management (his man management as well as the footballing aspect) - in that I imagine Van Gaal to value universalism. A collective philosophy with a focus on team work:

"Football is a team sport, and the members of the team are therefore dependent on each other. If certain players do not carry out their tasks properly on the pitch, then their colleagues will suffer. This means that each player has to carry out his basic tasks to the best of his ability, and this requires a disciplined approach on the pitch. In my opinion this can only be achieved if there is discipline off the pitch." - LvG

He has spoken previously of how adaptable he is in the formation he has used over the course of his career but his philosophy has stayed the same. He relies on fluid (as in inter-changeable) movement and a fluid (in a FM sense: Universal) attacking mentality the team must have. From what I have gleaned from various sources his players value space manipulation: One wide players goes forward and narrow, another stays back and steps wide etc.

I suppose though that you're right in that to translate this to FM it is a rigid approach - although he values a strong team mentality, his players also know their role (was very tempted to put a Dwayne Johnson 'The Rock' quote in here - hopefully there are some wrestling fans reading!) and how it contributes to the team as a collective.

It'd be interesting to see how his team plays when, if, he comes to the premier league and how one can emulate that onto FM. I'm sure he will be very much en vogue around these forums on his arrival at Old Trafford!

I think the key to understanding Van Gaals tactics are, as mentioned, the wingers - and not wether the formation is a 4-3-3 or not. Mata will be very important to his system. When he managed Bayern he often strayed away fromthe 4-3-3. He would often adopt a 4-2-3-1 or even a 4-4-2 due to the players at his disposal:

A flat back four, Van Bommel as a holding midfielder, Schweinsteiger as a Box-2-box-midfielder of some sort, Ribery (Olic) and Robben on the wings cutting inside, Gomez (Olic) on top and Müller right behind him making runs into the pnealty area from deeper postions.

Considering the players at his disposal, should he become the ManU manager, I think it is very likely we would se somthing similar - with both Rooney and Van Persie playing up front (Van Persie on top, Rooney a bit deeper).

I think the key to understanding Van Gaals tactics are, as mentioned, the wingers - and not wether the formation is a 4-3-3 or not. Mata will be very important to his system. When he managed Bayern he often strayed away fromthe 4-3-3. He would often adopt a 4-2-3-1 or even a 4-4-2 due to the players at his disposal:

A flat back four, Van Bommel as a holding midfielder, Schweinsteiger as a Box-2-box-midfielder of some sort, Ribery (Olic) and Robben on the wings cutting inside, Gomez (Olic) on top and Müller right behind him making runs into the pnealty area from deeper postions.

Considering the players at his disposal, should he become the ManU manager, I think it is very likely we would se somthing similar - with both Rooney and Van Persie playing up front (Van Persie on top, Rooney a bit deeper).

Where would he put Mata, on the wing? From what I have seen, Mata doesn't do at all well on the wing.

I agree - at least not at the moment - and he does not consider himself a winger, from what i have read. But I still think he would be used quite a lot on the wing (as an advanced playmaker/inside forward in FM-terms) in a Van Gaal system.

There are a lot of excellent Van Gaal articles floating around the internet at the moment regarding his philosophy and it's actual quotes from the man himself.

I'm 100% with Cleon on the fact he would use a rigid philosophy. In the articles it describes how he is quite particular about the types of players he selects. His preferred formation is a 4-3-3 and he has defined roles for each position and will only play people who fit the profile of that role. So Man Utd fans can probably forget about seeing Rooney and RVP up front together next season if Van Gaal is manager.

We'll just have to wait and see. As I mentioned, hed did not stick rigourlusly to his 4-3-3 at Bayern; the Champions Leauge semi finals against Lyon in 2010 being good examples: http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/ucl/2010/2000485_tl.pdf

I would not be surprised to see him fit both Rooney, Van Persie and Mata in the same formation.

And Kagawa. People always forget about Kagawa :(

There are a lot of excellent Van Gaal articles floating around the internet at the moment regarding his philosophy and it's actual quotes from the man himself.

I'm 100% with Cleon on the fact he would use a rigid philosophy. In the articles it describes how he is quite particular about the types of players he selects. His preferred formation is a 4-3-3 and he has defined roles for each position and will only play people who fit the profile of that role. So Man Utd fans can probably forget about seeing Rooney and RVP up front together next season if Van Gaal is manager.

Agree RE defined roles (although not sure it is that black and white) however disagree RE position. See the below quote:

"A system depends on the players you have. I played 4-3-3 with Ajax, 2-3-2-3 with Barcelona and a 4-4-2 with AZ. I'm flexible. The philosophy stays the same though. I don't think that you can adapt it to every possible situation. You need the right mindset, and it depends on how the players see the coach and vice versa. The coach is the focal point of the team but you need to have an open mind, and so do all the players. Everyone needs to work together to achieve a common goal." - LvG.

Archived