[FM14] You fill up my senses, like Nottingham Forest

Lenzar

NottinghamForest.png

Club History

Nottingham Forest Football Club is an English football club based in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire that currently plays in the Football League Championship. Forest have been based at the City Ground since 1898. The club is often referred to simply as Forest.

Founded in 1865, Forest were founder members of the Football Alliance in 1889 and joined the Football League in 1892. Forest won the FA Cup in 1898 and 1959, but their most successful period came under the management of Brian Clough, between 1975 and 1993, during which time they won their only league title, two consecutive European Cups, four League Cups and two Full Members Cups. Since then the club have fallen on harder times and have been outside the top-flight since 1999.

As of July 2012 the club has been under the ownership of the Kuwaiti Al-Hasawi family.

In 2013, the club appointed Mark Schueler as its new manager, hoping the otherwise untested Schueler would be the man to bring success back to the City Ground.

Under Schueler, Forest were able to win the Championship, coming within only a few points of Reading's points record set back in the 2005-06 season. The team also reached the semi-finals of the League Cup, defeating Manchester United 3-0 on the way.

Honours

European Cup: 2 - 1979, 1980

First Division/Premier League: 1 - 1978

Second Division/First Division/Championship: 4 - 1907, 1922, 1998, 2014

FA Cup: 2 - 1898, 1959

League Cup: 4 - 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990

Charity/Community Shield: 1 - 1979

The Club Today

Today Forest still play at their traditional home, unlike many others. The City Ground was a late 19th Century build originally and is still among the largest stadia in the country. Forest's main rivals, Notts County, still play just over the river at Meadow Lane - but the clubs have not played each other regularly for some time.

Nottingham.jpg

The playing squad is easily capable of staying within the division, and, with the backing of the Al-Hasawi family, should be able to recruit players capable of making the grade.

Takeover Analysis

On paper the initial squad looks fairly strong, but I'll need to get some folk in if I'm going to challenge for promotion. I have been given an ample budget of £6.25 million, with plenty of wages spare, to achieve this goal.

Squad

I've already decided to target a couple of new 'keepers, though I certainly expect that Darlow will play some part in my time at Forest.

Game notes

Something I've not mentioned is that I have modified the European competitions. The European Cup is back to being Champions only, meaning a return for the Cup Winners' Cup. The UEFA Cup will be the teams that came from 2nd-5th in each league.

I have loaded the English, Scottish, German, Italian and Spanish leagues, each to their lowest levels.

Pre-season

ForestPreSeason1314_zps9d3e306f.png

An excellent set of results gave me hope for the season.

August 2013

ForestAugust13_zpsafe50aa5.png

Our pre-season form continued, though the defence was wobbly at times. Certainly not happy to let in 3 late goals at Huddersfield, or allowing Wigan to score 4 in one of the more high-scoring games I've managed in since getting FM14. The 3rd round of the League Cup pits me in an A52 derby against, well, Derby. :p

ForestAugust13Table_zpsda67dfae.png

These performances were enough to secure me my first manager of the month award.

Next post will detail my transfers...

Transfers

Adam Federici (Goalkeeper, £3.2m, Reading)

As initial first choice Karl Darlow seemed a bit shaky on paper, I splashed out on a goalie with Premier League experience who also didn't look like getting any playing time. So far Adam has generally impressed.

David Bentley (RM, Free)

I was amazed to find a player of Bentley's relative quality on the free agent list. That said, he does not fit perfectly into my team and will probably feature only occasionally.

Esteban Lopez (RW, Free)

Signed as a potential prospect, Lopez's fairly disappointing showings for AFC Wimbledon make me think he won't make the grade.

Nuno Gomes (Striker, Free)

It was only after signing Gomes did I realise I shouldn't have - I never sign anyone who's scored against England, either IRL or ingame (same as that Italian club who booted the Korean). That being said, he's old so will probably be a useful player for this first year only.

Apostolos Vellios (Striker, Loaned from Everton)

Another striker I brought in just to give me extra cover.

September 2013

ForestSeptember13_zps3401725d.png

ForestSeptember13table_zps1faa15fe.png

A poor draw against a Boro side that were 23rd was the only blemish in a month I can say I am happy with. I have yet another away draw in the League Cup, this time against Blackpool. With some harder games out of the way, I am now hoping for more decent performances to consolidate a promotion place.

October 2013

ForestOctober13_zps4e917563.png

ForestOctober13table_zpsddd39bd1.png

The month started with two games against my rivals at the top of the table. Switching to my defensive formation shut both games down perfectly, before we took fairly simple wins in our next two matches, followed by a tight 1-0 win against Blackpool to continue my excellent League Cup run.

November 2013

ForestNovember13_zps25672188.png

ForestNovember13Table_zpsf9c76aa1.png

A poor month shows that we are perhaps not as far above others as I would like. Next month will hopefully bring the crowds in, as I have drawn United in the League Cup's Quarter Final.

December 2013

ForestDecember13_zpsd3199754.png

ForestDecember13Table_zpsf8577854.png

After a strong start, including our amazing win over United in the League Cup, we ended with a couple of poor home draws. We need to turn such draws into wins if we are to be promoted - I wouldn't put money on any of the top six teams, all of whom are showing genuine EPL-in-waiting quality. We face Chelsea in the League Cup semis, and Swansea away in the FA Cup.

January 2014

ForestJanuary14_zps9818761d.png

ForestJanuary14Table_zps0c6b9567.png

A poor start to the new year, with the team seemingly losing the ability to create any chances - even against 22nd place Blackburn it took most of the game before we threatened. With 2 games in hand, however, I hope to keep a decent lead over Wigan. Disappointed to get nowhere in the FA Cup, but the loss against Swansea was to be expected.

New Signings

Mikael Silvestre (Defender, Portland, Free) - I signed Mikael as a backup/rotation centre-half to boost my defence a little as aside from Wilson and Halford, I had limited reasonable options.

March 2014

ForestMarch14_zps835bbb5c.png

ForestMarch14Table_zpsdb0e5f93.png

More heavy scoring as we approach the end of the season. We are 13 points ahead of 2nd with 27 available...can we do it? My personal goal is to do so with at least 100 goals scored, but I suspect things may dry up soon.

The win against Charlton was simply incredible as we were down to 10 men for most of the match after Halford picked up 2 yellow cards in less than a minute.

April/May 2014 and 2013-14 Review

ForestApril14_zpsa04a6957.png

An almost perfect end to a very successful season.

Final league table

ForestFinalTable14_zps959ab9f2.png

In the end the league was a formality, although at times (especially that awful loss to Burnley who are unfortunately joining us) things looked far from certain. At the other end of the table, Ipswich lose their title of being the longest serving second-tier club, but at least can look forward to a decent shot at some silverware - the JPT. ;)

Cups

The FA Cup was over as soon as it began with a loss against Swansea (something United are discovering can happen to anyone :D), but the League Cup turned out to be special, after easy wins against lower league opposition we managed to beat United before falling to a Chelsea side that were just too strong over two legs.

Top players

Top Goalscorer- Simon Cox

With 31 goals, Cox was vital in my title win. He was cruelly denied the chance to be top scorer by the fact that Rob Hulse of Burnley was allowed to play an extra 3 games to go top.

Most Assists- Radoslaw Majewski

Not rated by Forest fans irl apparently, Majewski was simply amazing, scoring almost as many as he provided.

Top rated- Greg Halford

Halford, who can play virtually anywhere, was a vital part of the Forest defence along with regular partner Wilson, who was the 2nd highest rated.

Overall I feel I have a team that can survive next season, though I will definitely be making a few purchases just to patch some leaks.

Winners & Losers 2013-14

EPL winners: Man City

Relegated: Norwich, Hull, Palace (way behind even Hull)

FA Cup winners: Chelsea (v Liverpool)

League Cup winners: Chelsea (v Norwich)

European Cup winners: Barcelona (v Galatasaray)

Cup Winner's Cup winners: Marseille (v Lazio) - even now the curse strikes!

UEFA Cup winners: Arsenal (v Man City)

Wait till you see where Ipswich are. Deltablue's going to be crying all night. ;)
Great season there, and always good to chuckle at Ipswich :D

Actually gents, a) it's a regular enough occurrence since FM11 at least, so while disappointing, hardly unexpected or catastrophic, b), Norwich going down more than makes up for it :D

• 5 weeks later...

Well done on a great season with just the 3 losses, I really like the style and will be following from now on.

Good luck in the PL next season, A shame about England in the WC though, normally FM is our best/only hope of success.

• 3 weeks later...

August 2014

ForestAugust14_zps6674b906.png

A simply excellent start. I was worried about Simon Cox adapting to a higher level...clearly I was wrong. But the EPL is a marathon, not a sprint...

Signings

Alejandro Faurlin (Midfielder, QPR, £4.4M)

I felt I was lacking some strength in depth in midfield, and managed to tempt Faurlin away with our new found EPL status.

Ryan Bennett (Defender, Norwich, £1M)

Again I felt a signing in defence was needed, and Bennett is a strong looking young defender available cheaply thanks to Norwich's relegation.

Jordan Willis (Defender, Coventry, £1.6M)

Highly recommended as having great potential, Willis may prove useful in the next few years.

Jesper Juelsgard (Full back, Kobenhavn, £4M)

I didn't feel my left backs were good enough, so I found this Dane who has so far proven himself solid.

Phil Jones (Defender, Free transfer!?)

Apparently United released Jones - this may be some sort of money issue due to European revenues being greatly reduced. Still we will benefit from a world class defender.

Marc André Ter Stegen (Goalkeeper, Gladbach, £24M)

Gladbach's relegation meant that ter Stegen's release clause was activated. I spent the majority of my transfer bonus to get us this solid keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

September 2014

ForestSeptember14_zpsf8599ee1.png

ForestSeptember14table_zpsdba6340c.png

A mixed month has proven that at times we simply lack the ability to score, and that we are definitely beatable at this level. The loss to Leicester was simply unacceptable, even considering the fact that several reserve players played in that game.

With games against City, Spurs and Arsenal to come, I do not think October will be full of green lines. :(

Archived