FM14 - Backgrounds

stevemc

How did you edit them? In Photoshop? Just knocking them back to say 60% will be enough for the picture to show thru.

I don't like other skins, I'm old school, I always use the FM default skins (or base skins).

You should be able to use most image editing programs apart from MS Paint (bascially any that can handle transparent png files).

If you don't have an image editing program paint.net is free, to edit the transparency in paint.net load the graphic goto layers -> layer properties there is then an opacity slidebar, lower it to increase the transparency. Alternatively adobe normally offer a free 30-day trial of photoshop and with that once you have found a level you like you can set an action up so you can automate it for the other files.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, will this not work if you are subscribed to the skin via Steam Workshop? Do you need to download the Base Skin and link to it locally, and not through Steam Workshop, for your edited files to work?

Doesn't matter which one you use as the Workshop just downloads and copies the skin into your skins folder for you, which you can edit from there.

Just found a good comparison. Obviously I need to edit more graphics files for it to work everywhere

Here is the player profile page where all is transparent

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192569688

Here is the player attribute page where only 1 part is transparent

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192569780

:D

Very difficult stuff especially if you have never done this like me.

If you cannot find what graphic edits something you can check the xml files located in the panels.fmf file (that you'd need to extract, they are also panels folder inside the various skin folders).

For example the attributes page is controlled by this file: player profile.xml

Inside it is code like this:

<!-- Personal Details -->

<container class="bordered_box" id="pdet" file="player profile personal details" />

The commented bit at the top tells you this code deals with the personal details (face bit in your second screenshot) the bolded bit tells the game which graphic to use for the panel in this case it's a bordered box, so for this panel you need to edit the various graphics located inside the boxes/bordered folder.

What would I need to edit to make the background darker opacity on both club and player screen for the Scorpio skin? I can't seem to find the relevant files or config?

3. You have a background enabled transparent skin but the background image makes reading the text hard.

In this case you can create some extra graphics to overlay over the background to dull it, or in the case of certain downloaded skins adjust the existing files. The size of the overlay graphics don't matter unless you want them to have a pattern, easiest way is to create one 1x1 pixel image of the colour and transparency you want and then copy and rename it until you have the nine files needed. (For an example of what the graphics should look like download the Background Base 2012 skin and look in the graphics\bgoverlay folder - you need to create similar graphics for your skin and carry out the coding change in the link)

An alternative method is to edit your background graphics directly (depending on how many you have) - you can use an image editing program to add a semi-transparent layer to your backgrounds, without needing to do step 3 via the game files.

Most of them will be in the boxes folder, the exact files I don't know.

You'll just need to check through the graphics and check to see which are already transparent and which aren't, to speed things up you can just edit the paper_middle and paper_middle_middle graphics first as they are replicated to fill most of the space (the others just make up the borders/edges of the panels), once you have found what the graphic changes you can then adjust the other paper files for that graphic.

Button - are the various buttons (confirm, ok, make offer etc...)

interface - is the header stuff that you shouldn't need to touch

menu - are the various drop down menus

table - graphics for some but not all of the tables in the game, so tables just use a box file.

icons - are the various little icons (red card, yellow card, star ratings)

Most of them will be in the boxes folder, the exact files I don't know.

You'll just need to check through the graphics and check to see which are already transparent and which aren't, to speed things up you can just edit the paper_middle and paper_middle_middle graphics first as they are replicated to fill most of the space (the others just make up the borders/edges of the panels), once you have found what the graphic changes you can then adjust the other paper files for that graphic.

Button - are the various buttons (confirm, ok, make offer etc...)

interface - is the header stuff that you shouldn't need to touch

menu - are the various drop down menus

table - graphics for some but not all of the tables in the game, so tables just use a box file.

icons - are the various little icons (red card, yellow card, star ratings)

Thanks for all your help, I think I've figured it... finally!

There you go, I've done it :)

2da0dj5.png

I could knock back the opacity even more, just did it as a test.

For some reason, the backgrounds don't show for International teams.

EDIT: Where do I find the .png files for the calendar page, squad page, inbox, contract page etc?

Right, I've edited the files shown (in green) in this screenshot as I work on an 80% transparent panel skin:

2rzdqa1.png

Where do I find the .png files for the calendar page, squad page, inbox, contract page etc? As these pages in game, still have solid white panels.

Thanks

I can't seem to work out any of the others. If I ever see anymore then I may look into it but right now I've gone through quite a few screens and am happy as theres not too much else not transparent now. EG I don't mind the calendar dropdown bit not being transparent.

Cool, I'm going to edit the panels and test it tonight.

Thanks very much :)

depends the resolution you play at. There is no proper size as such - it will always be resized to fit your screen. larger images scaled down always look better than smaller images scaled up though so go for the largest, best quality you can get.

If you play on a widescreen monitor or screen you might want to go with 16:9 photos.

3. You have a background enabled transparent skin but the background image makes reading the text hard.

In this case you can create some extra graphics to overlay over the background to dull it, or in the case of certain downloaded skins adjust the existing files. The size of the overlay graphics don't matter unless you want them to have a pattern, easiest way is to create one 1x1 pixel image of the colour and transparency you want and then copy and rename it until you have the nine files needed. (For an example of what the graphics should look like download the Background Base 2012 skin and look in the graphics\bgoverlay folder - you need to create similar graphics for your skin and carry out the coding change in the link)

An alternative method is to edit your background graphics directly (depending on how many you have) - you can use an image editing program to add a semi-transparent layer to your backgrounds, without needing to do step 3 via the game files.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to try and dull down the backgrounds.... is there a program that can do this in bulk?

Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to try and dull down the backgrounds.... is there a program that can do this in bulk?

Photoshop can you should be able to download a free trial from the adobe website or you can use The GIMP which is a free open-source alternative, I also expect most other image editing software has a similar function (not paint.net though) or you can do an internet search (for an example search for 'batch processing of graphics' gives links to various programs that can batch edit graphics).

Right, I've edited the files shown (in green) in this screenshot as I work on an 80% transparent panel skin:

Where do I find the .png files for the calendar page, squad page, inbox, contract page etc? As these pages in game, still have solid white panels.

Thanks

Calender -all over the place, some use bordered boxes, there are also some files in boxes/calendarbar/cell

Squad (if you mean the page with the list of your players where you pick your team) - boxes/titled/home

Inbox - boxes/bordered/no margin/paper

Photoshop can you should be able to download a free trial from the adobe website or you can use The GIMP which is a free open-source alternative, I also expect most other image editing software has a similar function (not paint.net though) or you can do an internet search (for an example search for 'batch processing of graphics' gives links to various programs that can batch edit graphics).

Thanks Michael. I've downloaded GIMP and I think I know what to do. Just doing some trial and error. Thanks for all your help

I have transfered my stadium backgrounds from fm13 ones i made and they worked on FM14 but some i have made recently don't work ?? I have made logos and facepacks and they work just not stadium backgrounds can somebody tell me why ??

2da0dj5.png

EDIT: Where do I find the .png files for the calendar page, squad page, inbox, contract page etc?

This one looks great!

Can anyone put their edited skins into a zipped archive and load it to mediafire?

Thanks!

This preference was removed as an option to untick; it was never intended to be removed completely. That is, it would always be on by default with no option in the Preferences to switch it off. However, unfortunately, there was an issue that caused this setting to be unflagged at the last minute. This will be addressed in a future update.

Sorry to be so dense; I really don't like tinkering with code. Is Bardi saying that in the update (possibly hours or a day away) there will simply be a tick-box in Preferences to make all backgrounds enabled? If so I'd rather wait for that.

2da0dj5.png

Love this skin. Would it be possible for you to share it so others can use your skin in the game.

How do you find out the unique ID for a teams background?

I believe they have two unique ID's per background? I can see one, in the title bar. But where is the other one?

Thanks

EDIT: also, want to to make page transparent, any idea where these files live?

do73f8.png

I've managed to place two backgrounds:

14wszv9.png

2d14xy.png

With the following lines in the config.xml:

<record from="wembley" to="graphics/pictures/team/765/background"/>

<record from="wembley" to="graphics/pictures/stadium/102969/background"/>

<record from="wembley" to="graphics/pictures/nation/765/background"/>

I can see the code 765 with the unique ID's switched on (you can see it on the screenshots), but how do I see that 102969 code, where is that displayed? So I can repeat this for other nations.

Thanks

EDIT: Found it, under STADIUMS in the Editor.

If you don't want to mess around with the default FM files then you can just paste this line into the settings/<Skin Name> settings.xml file for the skin you are using (if you are using the default skins then download the base skin):

<boolean id="enable_background_changes" value="true" />

Thanks for your help in getting my backgrounds working again.

I've managed to place two backgrounds:

2d14xy.png

Does anyone know how to change the colour (opacity?) of the darker rows behind players' names on the main squad screen? I wold like them a little bit darker. Also, how can font size be changed on this same screen? What worked on FM13 skin does not seem to work now.

Archived