Sidebar skins

TomDixon77

I don't suppose anyone else has been trying to create one? I can get the main tabs in the sidebar with no problem, but for some reason it totally kills the main menu, the specific background doesn't even show up.

If anyone's got any ideas I'd love to hear them.

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of with no success. Unless someone knows different, I think sidebar skins may be no more.

Such a shame.

I'll never forget the day I switched to Chris Rice's Turnstyle skin, such a beast of a Skin that brought Football Manager more to life. :cool:

I don't suppose anyone else has been trying to create one? I can get the main tabs in the sidebar with no problem, but for some reason it totally kills the main menu, the specific background doesn't even show up.

If anyone's got any ideas I'd love to hear them.

I'm not a skin maker. Done just a few panel tweaks to make my game more fitted to the way I play, but my first impression is connected with priorities. Sidebar comes in first (priority="1") than background doesn't show up (priority not set).

Probably, You've thought of it :)

Right, this is the code that controls the middle section of the scrren (squad screen, etc.). This section of code works for the main menu.

<!-- main area - contains sections/actions panel and content areas -->
         <container id="main" >
           <layout class="arrange_horizontal_attachment" alignment="middle, extend" gap="0" offset="0"/>
           <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="vertical" inset="0" layout_children="true"/>

<!-- margin on each side of the content, gets hidden in full screen mode -->
           <container width="10">
             <!-- hide this panel in "navigation disabled" mode -->
             <attachment class="test_multiple_globals_attachment" default_value="true">
               <list id="get_properties">
                 <record get_property="FS  " test_mode="0" value="true" skip_if_null="true"/>
                 <record get_property="SBhd" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="true" skip_if_null="true"/>
               </list>
               <integer id="set_property" value="hidn"/>
             </attachment>
           </container>

<!-- screen content area -->
           <container id="scca" auto_size="horizontal">
             <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" layout_children="true" inset="0"/>
           </container>

<container width="10">
                 <record get_property="SBhd" test_mode="0" comparison_mode="1" value="true" skip_if_null="true"/>
               </list>
             </attachment>
           </container>			

</container>

From the top, the outer container arranges the inner containers from the middle out (there are three child containers) and al the child containers will stick to the top and the bottom of the parent container.

The first and last child containers are 10 pixel spacers. These are hidden on the main menu (the attachment class in each container controls that).

The middle container is the main screen area and fills up whatever space is between the two outer containers.

Now, if I switch the last spacer for the sidebar, like so:

<container width="10">
               </list>
             </attachment>
           </container>

<!-- screen content area -->
           <container id="scca" auto_size="horizontal">
             <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" layout_children="true" inset="0"/>
           </container>

<container width="170" id="sect" file="sections">

</list>

</attachment>				
		</container>

</container>

We get nothing on the main menu or, if I take the hiding code out, the sidebar on its own (which then doesn't want to work).

• 5 weeks later...

It's quite strange that we had sidebar when the aspect ratio of most screens was 4:3/5:4 and now that every laptop and every monitor you can buy is widescreen, and very often lacking in vertical resolution, SI decide to remove sidebar completely and use a bunch of tabs/buttons that take up vertical space. At least horizontal space is used now, without completely empty areas and all, but still a sidebar would be much more useful than any of the additional information that is currently displayed.

It's quite strange that we had sidebar when the aspect ratio of most screens was 4:3/5:4 and now that every laptop and every monitor you can buy is widescreen, and very often lacking in vertical resolution, SI decide to remove sidebar completely and use a bunch of tabs/buttons that take up vertical space. At least horizontal space is used now, without completely empty areas and all, but still a sidebar would be much more useful than any of the additional information that is currently displayed.

Well said. I wish SI would would pay attention to this statement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After becoming curious as to why the intro screen background shifted to the right when I hit one of the buttons (new game, etc.) as I play at very high res (2560x1440) and it turns out that it was that image that was causing the intro screen to go blank when there's a sidebar. I don't know if I can definitely make it work, but sidebar skins may be possible after all (I've also lost the skin that I used for the screenshots in this thread, so I'm going to have to start from scratch)

• 1 month later...

I can't imagine it's impossible. It'd be a pain ill admit but you could presumably code a full width and height intro panel from scratch that's independent of the main containers (something in front). The sidebar then shouldn't affect it.

I can't imagine it's impossible. It'd be a pain ill admit but you could presumably code a full width and height intro panel from scratch that's independent of the main containers (something in front). The sidebar then shouldn't affect it.

Okay, that looks like it's working. Now, does anyone know the id of the intro screen, so I can hide the new panel once you leave it?

Although, you can't get into the preferences from the main menu for some reason.

Intro screen is 2 iirc so this should still work

<attachment class="test_global_attachment" get_property="scid" set_property="hidn" skip_if_false="true" value="2"/>

Not sure why the prefs screen won't show.

I think that's the opposite of what I'm after.

Right, I've got rid of one bit of weirdness (the tutorials menu always showed on the second level menus, even if you didn't press that) by getting rid of the tutorials button. It still seems to react very slowly to stuff, but it works. Now to find out if there's anything else that doesn't work.

Right, I've got rid of one bit of weirdness (the tutorials menu always showed on the second level menus, even if you didn't press that) by getting rid of the tutorials button. It still seems to react very slowly to stuff, but it works. Now to find out if there's anything else that doesn't work.

Send me a copy to my pm ill see if theres anything i can do to help

We must get sidebars back !!! The game is worth nothing without

Slight over reaction i think mate bbut yes it would be good to have a sidebar skin again, like the 2007 version skin you did Tom i think? Best skin this game ever had!

Archived