[FM 13] If Arrested Development can come back after a Hiatus, so can I! - A Cerud Career

cerud

Unfortunately, I had to take a break from my previous career save due to an insane amount of work coming my way. I can't complain; when you work from home, you take the work as it comes. However, after a month or so away, I can't really remember what I was doing with my last career. There's also been a couple updates for the game, so now that I have the time to play, I may as well begin anew!

I've played a bit off and on, mainly to test my tactical abilities. I think I'm beginning to gain an understanding, so without further explanation, here it is, Cerud's career for FM13!

Starting Date: July 2012

Beginning Manager Profile

Name: Cerud

Nationality: Canadian, with 2nd American

Languages: English, French, and Spanish

Past Experience: Sunday League Footballer

Good to be back! :)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career Summary

Club Career Summary

Year        Country       Team                     League                   Position   Other

2012-2013   Belgium       Torhout 1992 KM          Derde Klass A            1st        League Title
2013-2014   Spain         Extremadura U.D.         Segunda Div B            13th       ---
2014-2015   Spain         Extremadura U.D.         Segunda Div B            3rd        Lost in Playoffs
2015-2016   Ukraine       Metalist Kharkiv         EpiCentre Premyer-Liha   1st        League Title
2016-2017   Ukraine       Metalist Kharkiv         EpiCentre Premyer-Liha   ---        Resigned
2016        Canada        Vancouver Whitecaps FC   MLS                      3rd        ---
2017        Canada        Vancouver Whitecaps FC   MLS                      1st        MLS Cup
2018        Canada        Vancouver Whitecaps FC   MLS                      1st        MLS Cup
2018-2019   Netherlands   AFC Ajax                 Eredivisie               2nd        ---

Club Achievements

2019-2020 - Netherlands - JC Schaal

2018-2019 - Netherlands - KNVB Beker

2018 - Canada - Canadian Championship

2018 - Canada/USA - MLS - Supporter's Shield

2018 - Canada/USA - MLS - Cascadia Cup

2018 - Canada/USA - MLS - MLS Cup League Title

2017 - Canada - Canadian Championship

2017 - Canada/USA - MLS - Supporter's Shield

2017 - Canada/USA - MLS - Cascadia Cup

2017 - Canada/USA - MLS - MLS Cup League Title

2016-2017 - Ukraine - Inter Superkubok Ukraini

2015-2016 - Ukraine - EpiCentre Premyer-Liha - League Title

2015-2016 - Ukraine - DATAGROUP Kubok Ukraini

2012-2013 - Belgium - Derde Klasse A - League Title

Personal Achievements

2018 - Canada/USA - MLS - Coach of the Year - 1st Place

2017 - Canada/USA - MLS - Coach of the Year - 1st Place

2012-2013 - Belgium - Derde Klasse A - Manager of the Year - 1st Place

Managerial Stats

Manager Stats

*as of 8 September 2019

Number of Clubs Managed: 5

Number of Nations Managed: 0

Longest Time at a Club: 846 days

Shortest Time at a Club: 353 days

Number of Awards Won: 5

Total Career Earnings: $2.8M

Total Game Time: 2,615 days

Time Spent on Holidays: 0 days (0.00%)

Number of Players Bought: 82

Total Value of Players Bought: $74M

Number of Players Sold: 49

Total Value of Players Sold: $76M

Highest Fee Spent: $14.75M for Samir Pereira on 8 May 2019

Highest Fee Received: $17.25M for Andile Jali on 10 January 2019

Total Fees Paid to Agents: $13.25M

Number of Players Released: 41

Overall Career Stats

Overall Played: 316

Games Won: 209

Games Drawn: 57

Games Lost: 50

Goals For: 697

Goals Agaist: 269

Goal Difference: +428

Win Percentage: 66%

Cup Wins: 6

League Wins: 4

Promotions: 1

Relegations: 0

12 July 2012

hln.jpg

Torhout Make a Move for a Crazy Canuck

It would seem that Torhout 1992 KM have found the manager that they believe will lead their club. Unknown Canadian manager, Cerud, has taken the reins of the 3rd tier level club, his first job in football management. In a local press conference, the new manager took a few questions to address his new position.

"Football has always been a passion of mine. I have the utmost respect to Torhout and am happy to be a part of the set up."

Chairman Joël Willem pledged his trust in his new manager as well.

"Cerud comes with a new outlook on the game, a new North American perspective. We trust that the marriage between our two styles will be a benefit for the club and its future."

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Torhout 1992 KM - Derde Klasse A

I only applied for this job and was happy to get it. My goal was to join a lower level club (the only ones that would have me!), but that had decent financial standings. Torhout is an average level club for this level. They are lacking in key positions, so I already see some work ahead for me.

About the Club

Torhout 1992 KM originally formed in 1926 as SK Torhout. In 1992, they merged with KVK Torhout under their current name. Their last competition win was in 2001; however, they did win promotion to the Derd Klasse A in 2009.

belgiumq.png

The Stats

Year Founded: 1926

Nickname: None

Fierce Rivals: None

Other Rivals: Roeselare, Cercle Brugge, Oostende

The Stadium – Velodroom

Year Built: 2001

Capacity: 2,000 (400 seated)

Owner/Rent: Torhout

Facilities

Corporate: Adequate

Training: Fairly Basic

Youth: Minimal

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Limited

A decent little park for what we need.

Torhout-6_500x375.JPG

2012-2013 Pre-Season

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

The Stats

Derde Klass A: Achieve a mid-table league position

Cofidis Cup: Reach the 4th Round

Media Prediction: 10th of 18

Wage Budget: $565,427

Currently Spending: $282,714 ($282,713 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $8,347

Main Kit Sponsorship: $91,800 (expires 2016)

Average Ticket Price: $14

Average Season Ticket Price: $187

Season Ticket Holders: 305

Estimated Value: $210K

National Club Ranking in Belgium: 53rd

Initial Thoughts

Well, this squad has no wingers. Guess they were going with a flat 4-3-3 before I came. That’s my main goal, bringing in wingers, mainly because I want to have tactical options and not just be restricted to a small range.

I’ve also started a hunt for a parent club, mainly because finances at these lower levels always end up taking a hit.

2012-2013 End of Pre-Season

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

The Matches

France - Ligue 2 Orange - CS Sedan Ardennes - tied 1-1

Belgium - Lower Leagues - KVK Beringen - won 7-0

The Netherlands - Jupiler Pro League - MVV Maastricht - won 3-1

Belgium - Lower Leagues - KFC Duffel - won 3-0

France - Lower Leagues - Club Sportif Avionnais Football - won 4-0

The Players

squadd.png

I’ve managed to bring in a bit of help, all in the midfield. A few wingers and some defensive midfield help as well. My addition of Standard as a parent club has also helped to secure a couple final positions.

Transfers

transferh.png

I’d like to ship a few players out still, but it’s more likely that I’ll have to release them.

Pre-Season Thoughts

The matches were set before I showed up and the CS Sedan one already played. Imagine my surprize at my first match being a 7-0 win! I was especially happy at the win against MVV Maastricht, given the league standing of that club. A very decent pre-season.

I also managed to grab a parent club, Standard, out of Liege. This should help us for the foreseeable future.

standardw.png

Good luck! Link up with Standard should be beneficial. :thup:

Thanks, Jason the Yank. The Standard link will be a huge asset for a while.

Welcome back and the best of luck in Belgium :thup:

Cheers, BWG! Good to be back.

August 2012 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Derde Klasse A

fixc.png

22 August 2012 – K Racing Club Mechelen – Away – 2-1 Win

The first ended with a nil draw. We had already played two games in the Cofidis Cup as so we may not have been as rested as I would have liked. We’re also still becoming tactically proficient. We came out in the second half and took a quick 2 goal lead. RC Mechelen grabbed one back, but it wasn’t enough.

29 August 2012 – KFC Vigor Wuitens Hamme – Home – 1-0 Win

This was a fairly evenly matched game and we had a bit of home advantage help us out. An own goal gave us our home opening win.

Cofidis Cup

cupa.png

12 August 2012 – VC Herentals – Home – 3-0 Win

Our first match of the season was this one in the Cofidis Cup. We played well against a lower league club and never really gave them a chance.

17 August 2012 – Hoogstraten VV – Away – 3-0 Win

Our Board wanted to make at least the 4th Round and this was that match. It was against another club in our league, which also made it my first test against a similar level competition. We didn’t open the scoring until the second half, but then the game was all ours.

25 August 2012 – Lommel United – Home – 1p-1 Win

We were drawn against Lommel, a club in the league just above us in the 2nd tier of Belgian football. I knew it would be a difficult one and so took a bit of a defensive approach. It paid off as we were able to capitalize off a mistake and take a lead in the 75th minute from a heads up play by Yde. Unfortunately, we couldn’t hold on as Lommel hit back with only 3 minutes to go. Additional time didn’t solve anything, so it was then on to penalty kicks. It took until the 6th round of shots, but we held on and keep our unlikely cup dreams alive.

The Standings

standjz.png

We sit in 2nd place right now after a couple matches. The Belgian league is split into three rounds, the first with 10 games, and the second and third with 12 games apiece. The winner of each round qualifies for the promotion playoff. The overall winner of the league automatically qualifies. Either way, we’re on the right track.

Awesome Standard was my benefactor as well for a season... I think they like Torhout.

Seems odd since Torhout is a Flemish club and Standard is Wallonian, but I'll take it :)

9 September 2012

hln.jpg

Torhout Gives up Home Advantage to Beerschot

As Torhout continue their miraculous run in the Cofidis Cup, their current draw against Beerschot likely spells their exit. Beerschot, league leaders of the Jupiler Pro League, the top flight of Belian football, have made an offer of purchase for home advantage, which has been accepted. The date and time will remain the same, with the new venue being at Olympisch Stadion.

newscxl.png

I have never seen this before! Selling home advantage! Definitely works in my favour financially :D

September 2012 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Derde Klasse A

fixlc.png

1 September 2012 - KMSK Deinze - Away - 3-1 Win

We had quite a few starters tired for this match and so I decided to rest a few as I really want to take this first period of the league and guarantee a playoff spot. Deinze hits first, but we responded right away with 3 of our own in the first half. They were handed a red card partway through the second half, ensuring our victory.

8 September 2012 – KV Turnhout - Home - 0-1 Loss

We outplayed Turnhout, but never really made any serious attack. Their goal in the 16th minute stood as the only one of the match and handed us out first loss of the season.

16 September 2012 - K Standaard Wetteren - Away - 0-2 Loss

Another match where we were unable it hit the back of the net. The game was spent goalless for the majority, until Wetteren put 2 away within a minute of each other late on.

22 September 2012 - R Kapellen FC - Home - 4-1 Win

Here we go! A much better outing from the boys. We started early in the 4th minute with a brilliant run from deep by one of our defensive midfielders, Senanu. We went into the half with a 2-1 scoreline, but Kapellen hindered their effort by getting a red card just before the whistle. This allows us to put a couple more away in the second for the solid win and serving to get us back on our feet.

30 September 2012 - K Racing Waregem - Away - 3-2 Win

We almost blew this game. We took a 2-0 lead in the first half. With more than a few players acting complacent, I urged them to regroup, which I guess confused them. Instead, we allowed them to tie the match. It was only the additional time heroics of De Loof, my left winger, who saved us the 3 points.

Cofidis Cup

cupc.png

25 September 2012 - K Beerschot Antwerp Club - Away - 0-1 Loss

I figured going against the league leaders of Belgium’s top club would be difficult. This is why I sold the right for home advantage; may as well make some money off of it. We were on the defensive for most of the match, but surprisingly, we were able to hold Beerschot at bay. They did score in the 11th minute, but that’s all we gave them. I’m actually quite proud of how we played and in our overall showing in this cup.

The Standings

standq.png

Well, we now sit in a precarious top position in the table. There are three matches left to go in their period, meaning we can secure a playoff spot right away. I'd rather qualify for promotion by winning the league and our play is showing that it is possible; however, nabbing an early playoff spot would help to alleviate a bit of the pressure.

Good start so far, the link with Standard is certainly a big bonus for you :thup:

Very! Although Standard is not doing well themselves. They just fired their manager because they're languishing in the mid-table.

Great Job! Advance the easy way, get first place!

Cheers! So far, so good. I minor hiccup but we're back on track.

Good to see you back on the boards, cerud :)

Good luck with your career. It's been an impressive start!

Thanks, AK22 :thup:

21 October 2012

hln.jpg

1st Period Belongs to Torhout

After notching eight wins in ten matches, Torhout have ensured their entry into the playoff promotion race. Their path saw them rise 4 points above the next closest club, Temse, in what was a tight affair to the end. Torhout manager Cerud spoke to media after the last result.

Knowing that we have a fighting chance already lined up this year will take a bit of pressure off the boys. But this doesn't mean that we just hang up the boots and relax. There's twenty-four more matches to go and we sit in a strong position to challenge for the title. Now that a playoff spot is sealed up and we're out of the Cofidis Cup, the title must be our only goal.

playug.png

qualify.png

October 2012 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Derde Klasse A

fixk.png

6 October 2012 - Hoogstraten VV - Home - 2-1 Win

The referee awarded Hoogstraten a penalty in the 5th minute, a horrible call. However, we were able to regroup well. By the 18th minute, we had taken the lead and held on for the rest of the match.

14 October 2012 – K Olsa Brakel - Away - 3-1 Win

I think we got a little lucky with this match. We were awarded 2 penalty kicks in the first half and added another. Olsa Brakel took back one just before the half, but there was nothing new in the second.

21 October 2012 - FC Verbroedering Geel-Meerhout - Home - 3-1 Win

Yde gave us a quick lead in the 5th minute. This propelled us through a massively dominant first half and we were up by 3 goals before the whistle. Geel-Meerhout was able to grab a goal back, but it was simply too much of a climb back up.

27 October 2012 - KSV Temse - Home - 2-0 Win

Finally, a match with a clean sheet for my goalkeeper! The first half was a nil draw. After prodding our boys for a better second half, they responded in kind.

31 October 2012 - Rupel Boom FC - Home - 0-2 Loss

Not our best match by far. I think we were getting a bit complacent with our recent record. We held the possession battle, but Rupel Boom had better chances and capitalized on a few of our mistakes. I'm hoping that we rebound better in early November.

The Standings

standz.png

While I'm happy with our record, we have no room for complacency. The top five clubs in the table are all within 6 points of each other and positions can change very quickly. One saving grace is that my squad seems to be coping well with the schedule. My starting left winger, De Loof took out with a sprain for about 4-6 weeks, but that's it so far. His back up has also been able to set in and be a man to rely on.

Ideally, I'd love to be about 6 points free of our opposition by our 20th match, but we'll see. There's a few clubs with good records.

Ahhh, another joining the lower ranks of Belgium and the confusing league system :p.

I think I've got my head wrapped around it :)

Good to see you back Crued :cool: Doing well with Torhout :thup:

So far. Just hoping I avoid the November drop that seems to plague everyone for FM 13 this year.

Looks interesting :thup: will follow.

But do I understand correctly that the best you can (and already did) get from the league is a playoff spot either way?

Thanks, jayahr. I'll try and explain my league's set up as best I understanding. There are 34 games in the season. The club that wins the overall league gets automatically promoted. There are 3 playoff spots. These are given to the winners of 3 periods. The season is divided into these 3 periods: the first being 10 matches, the second and third are 12 matches respectively. However, if the club that won the league also won one of the periods, then their playoff spot goes to the next club in the overall league standings. The 3 playoff clubs play for a final promotion spot with the lowest club of the higher league, who is trying to stave off relegation.

Hope that makes sense!

November 2012 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Derde Klasse A

fixdk.png

4 November 2012 - KSK Ronse - Away - 1-1 Tie

Ronse outplayed us in this match. We did open the scoring in the 4th minute, but the lead was short-lived. This ended up playing out as a nervy affair.

10 November 2012 – KFC Izegem - Home - 3-1 Win

A better response from the boys. We took the lead in the first half with a goal from Yde, our team leader. Both goals in the second half were gifts to us, a penalty and an own goal. I'll take either! Unfortunately, our starting goalkeeper, Laleman, took a sprain and wlll be out for 4 weeks

18 November 2012 - KSV Bornem - Away - 3-0 Win

Not a bad way for our backup goalkeeper to show his place! A clean sheet away from home and a solid effort from the rest of the squad. Again, we were gifted a couple goals, but the showing was still good.

24 October2012 - K Berchem Sport 2004 - Home - 2-2 Tie

Kind of disgusted with this one. We had the 2 goal lead going into the half and then blew it in the second. It was just a different team that took the pitch for the final 45 minutes, for both sides. We were sluggish and they found a renewed desire. They tied the game in the 91st minute, which really hurt.

The Standings

standk.png

We're pretty much at the halfway mark of the season now and still sitting in the top spot. I wish that we didn't throw away that last match as we would have had a 6 point cushion in the table, but we are still slowly pulling away. It is a tight table and I do expect a lot of movement before the season's end.

We only have 3 matches in December and then a month break until we start up again in mid-January.

Looks like it's going to be a close division this, at least the playoff spot is in the bag already.
Nice not having so much pressure later on in the season, until the playoffs.

Yeah, not having to worry about a playoff spot enables me to work towards the long goal of the league title rather then individual periods. It's nice.

December 2012 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Derde Klasse A

fixle.png

1 December 2012 - VV Coxyde - Home - 2-0 Win

Bossekota missed a penalty shot in the early part of the match but was given another chance to make it right. Another goal in the second half secured this win, one that we were expected to take rather easily anyway.

8 December 2012 – K Racing Club Mechelen - Home - 3-0 Win

I signed a new striker, Penga-Ilenga, and he didn't disappoint on his debut. He had a fantastic 35 yard goal, making him an instant favourite of the fans. Yde continued his ascension with two quality goals of his own.

16 December 2012 - KFC Vigor Wuitens Hamme - Away - 3-0 Win

This away match culminated our best month yet. The first half was a back and forth sort, with neither team finding the net. However, the second half was all ours with 3 goals from three different players. Always like to see many players contributing to the scoreboard.

Friendlies

friendn.png

23 December 2012 - Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz FC - Away - 1-0 Win

We are on a one month winter break now, so I decided to try our luck against the league leaders of the tier above us. To be honest, Mouscron-Péruwelz had the bulk of the chances, but we were the club that came out ahead. I wonder if this is a foretelling of things to come...?

The Standings

standtj.png

A great month! Clean sheets in all matches, including a friendly against a higher level club. We still haven't increased our point lead though so Turnhout keeps pace with us, but there is an expansion against the rest of the table which I'm happy about. I brought in Penga-Ilenga to give a better striking option as I have been pairing a few younger players with Yde. It seems to be working in the early stages.

I don't think I'll be too busy during this transfer window. I don't want to disturb what I have.

Torhout is pretty well suited to win the Division with most of their current team, I was surprised myself why they didn't have a manager, I think you doing better then I did. In 34 league matches I scored 67, conceded 43 and had 66 points. I had 18 wins, 12 ties, 4 losses, I think you progressing far better to solidify the Third Division for yourself :)

Torhout is pretty well suited to win the Division with most of their current team, I was surprised myself why they didn't have a manager, I think you doing better then I did. In 34 league matches I scored 67, conceded 43 and had 66 points. I had 18 wins, 12 ties, 4 losses, I think you progressing far better to solidify the Third Division for yourself :)

Yeah, they have a decent squad, but they were lacking in key positions. Shored up these and life has been good so far :)

2012 Global Review

5199060364_8b27bb5a36_m.jpg

Not much to comment on yet, but there are a few updates for the year in review, mainly from North America.

Domestic Clubs

Major League Soccer

2012 - Winners D.C. United, Runners Up San Jose

Domestic Cups

Nutrlite Canadian Championship

2012 - Winners Montreal Impact, Runners Up Vancouver Whitecaps

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

2012 - Winners New York, Runners Up Seattle

International Cups

FIFA Club World Cup

2012 - Winners Chelsea, Runners Up Corinthians

January 2013 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Friendlies

friendak.png

1 January 2013 - KSV Bornem - Home - 0-0 Draw

A club in our own league. I think both of us were recovering from New Year's Eve hangovers.

9 January 2013 - R Standard de Liège - Home - 0-1 Loss

Our parent club decided to schedule a friendly only three days before our league was going to be starting up again. Bad timing aside, we played well! This is a loss that I think we can be rather proud of in how we responded. We almost grabbed a tie on a few occasions.

Derde Klasse A

fixdg.png

12 January 2013 - KMSK Deinze - Home - 1-0 Win

Our first match back after our break was a bit of a lacklustre affair. We got a break in the 47th minute, but this match could really have gone either way.

19 January 2013 – KV Turnhout - Away - 4-0 Win

Turnhout is the club that is right behind us in the table. We had also lost to them earlier in the season, so I wanted to ensure a good response. I got what I wanted. We literally blew them out of the water in the first half, a 4 goal blitz. They came back more defensive in the second half, but we held them off and took a well earned win.

27 January 2013 - K Standaard Wetteren - Home - 1-1 Tie

This match was more difficult than it should have been. Wetteren hit against us for the tie in the 88th minute and also ended out clean sheet run at five matches.

The Standings

standdn.png

We now have a commanding 9 point lead at the top of the table with 12 matches left to go. The win against Turnhout really helped separate us from the rest of the pack. As we head into this final period, I'm not taking anything for granted, but I'm feeling good.

We also signed one player in the January transfer window, a defensive midfielder named Christophe Préseaux. He should help ensure our back end is strong.

Other News

The second period has been won by us as well. The playoff spot has, therefore been awarded to the 2nd place club of the period, KV Turnhout.

February 2013 Update

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Derde Klasse A

fixzq.png

3 February 2013 - R Kapellen FC - Away - 1-0 Win

I think the boys are seeing the title before it has actually been given out. Another disappointing performance against a side we should be handling easy. A penalty shot was the deciding factor.

9 February 2013 – K Racing Waregem - Home - 1-1 Tie

A better match in terms of ball possession and controlling the play, but we're still being complacent in our play. Yde tied the match for us, but this could have easily slipped away from us.

16 February 2013 - Hoogstraten VV - Away - 1-0 Win

Hoogstraten dominated this match, which is scary because they are a club fighting against potential relegation right now. We're finding ways to win, but they are definitely not deserved.

23 February 2013 - K Olsa Brakel - Home - 2-0 Win

This was much better! Préseaux opened the scoring in the 17th minute with his first ever for the club. Another goal in the first half gave us a good lead and we continued to dictate the pace of the match. I was happy to see a return to how I expect us to play.

The Standings

standz.png

With 8 matches left to go in this season, I'm confident enough to state my expectations of winning the league. Our 15 point lead should be more than enough to guarantee us the title and automatic promotion.

I'm beginning to take stock of the players that I have to see who could potentially make the jump to a higher league. I'm also hoping that I can convince the Board to go professional in the off-season. Becoming a full time club is imperative to success at a higher level.

Looks done and dusted to me, great first season in Belgium. Reckon you'll have to make many changes for the next step up?

Thanks, EvilDave. I will need to do a few changes for sure. We're a part time club, so I hope to become full time. Who I can sign will depend on my wage budget and I'm not too sure how good that will be. A lot of "ifs" still. There are a few players that can definitely make the jump up a league, so I'll be going with them and look to add depth where I can.

From my experience you won't get to be Professional until you hit the Pro League, and you'll find plenty of free transfer talent when you hit the 2nd League, its just a matter of finding the good talent to get you promoted.

Ouch. That would mean I'd be the only non-pro club in the 2nd tier I think.

2013 Youth Candidates

Torhout_1992_KM_Logo.png

Youth Candidates

youthc.png

Nothing really that special. My assistant has picked Pierre-Yves Millot out as the best of the group. If I could train him up, that would be great as wingers seem to be in short supply in Belgium, but that's a big if.

Archived