Why aren't assistant managers promoted to managers?

I admit I am relatively new to FM, so maybe my observation is not 100% correct, but my feeling is that there's never any assistant manager who just takes the job if the main manager is sacked. And I am not talking about interim trainer, I am talking full time.

This, in my experience, happens quite a lot in real world football. At least in the German Bundesliga it does. Certainly, we are talking about the bit smaller Bundesliga clubs here, but from the top of my head, we have several teams being managed by former assistants. Wiesinger in Nürnberg, Keller in Schalke, Streich in Freiburg and Lewandowski in Leverkusen immediatly come to mind (and Schalke and Leverkusen are actually very big clubs...).

So... is this something rather typically German and does not happen in the PL, and therefore is not being implemented in the code?

So far, whenever new trainers are being sought, the clubs are looking all kind of places, even bringing in a ridiculous amount of foreign trainers. At the moment in my FM2013 Bundesliga save, at least a third of the German clubs are coached by Dutch or Italien trainers. Seems a bit odd to me...

Nice question indeed...I have played for FM for the last decade and never really seen it, but truth be I don't usually check for that.

I can add to your list Vitor Pereira (FC Porto current manager) that was AVB Assistant Manager!

So I wonder if it also happens in FM or only in real life?

I'm playing in Bundesliga and in season 4 Braunschweig sacked their manager and promoted the assistant to caretaker until the end of the season.

I was surprised , and thought it was a really nice touch, as just a few days ago a similar thread was bemoaning the lack of caretaker managers and manager's trial periods.

So I guess it does happen in game, just not very often.

It's far more realistic this way. No assistant manager in real life has gone on to become a decent manager. The computer knows this and applies that rule accordingly.

Not sure if this is meant to be slightly ironic, but that's of course not true - where would the new managers come from, anyway? A lot of them start their professional lives as assistants or as Reserve managers (Pep?).

And in my save, that's exactly what happens: You seem to have the old names over and over again in new jobs - whereas in real life, I think it is much more common that some managers simply don't reappear, after they've been sacked for a few times (of course, there are also the ones who appear and appear and appear...).

I'm playing in Bundesliga and in season 4 Braunschweig sacked their manager and promoted the assistant to caretaker until the end of the season.

I was surprised as just a few days ago a similar thread was bemoaning the lack of caretaker managers and manager's trial periods.

So I guess it does happen in game, just not very often.

Good to know.

I do think it should happen more often, though. It seems more realistic this way. And those small little details (which certainly would not take much tweaking to be introduced into the game) can be, as far as realistic gamefeeling goes, quite important, I would say. You probably could also do this as a type of "characteristic" for the club, there are clubs who are more willing to promote internal staff to the driver's seat, and there are others who are looking more for the big (or not so big) name from the outside.

Or, again, is this something where different countries maybe differ in their ways to handle this? Is it less common in English football, than in German football?

Not sure if this is meant to be slightly ironic, but that's of course not true - where would the new managers come from, anyway? A lot of them start their professional lives as assistants or as Reserve managers (Pep?).

And in my save, that's exactly what happens: You seem to have the old names over and over again in new jobs - whereas in real life, I think it is much more common that some managers simply don't reappear, after they've been sacked for a few times (of course, there are also the ones who appear and appear and appear...).

I do think it should happen more often, though. It seems more realistic this way. And those small little details (which certainly would not take much tweaking to be introduced into the game) can be, as far as realistic gamefeeling goes, quite important, I would say. You probably could also do this as a type of "characteristic" for the club, there are clubs who are more willing to promote internal staff to the driver's seat, and there are others who are looking more for the big (or not so big) name from the outside.

Or, again, is this something where different countries maybe differ in their ways to handle this? Is it less common in English football, than in German football?

I agree about it being the same names every time, no matter how many times they get sacked. A few sackings should see a manager need to drop the level at which he gets a job, at least in most cases.

I also think it should happen a bit more, and it does happen in England (with mixed success). Chelsea are now on their second recent "interim" manager, Wolves had a disastorous spell after promoting their old assistant Terry Connor, similarly Blackburn with Steve Kean. Hmm, I guess it happens in England, but doesn't seem to work!

It's far more realistic this way. No assistant manager in real life has gone on to become a decent manager. The computer knows this and applies that rule accordingly.

Walter Smith.

A Rangers icon as a manager, 10 league titles from a possible 12/13.

Started out as assistant to Souness.

If I look at Bundesliga, then the following managers started as Assistant- or Reserve-managers.

Bayern: Jupp Heynckes (1979 assistant, 1980 promoted to manager of Mönchengladbach)

Leverkusen: Sascha Lewandowski (2007-2012 Leverkusen II, 2012 promoted to manager)

Freiburg: Christian Streich (2007-2011 assistant manager, 2011 promoted)

HSV: Thorsten Fink (2006-2008 assistant at RB Salzburg)

Mainz: Thomas Tuchel (2008-09 assistant manager at Mainz, 2009 promoted at Mainz)

Hannover: Mirko Slomka (2001-04 assistant manager at Hannover, 2004-06 assistant manager at Schalke, 2006 promoted)

Schalke: Jens Keller (2008-2010 asisstant and U19 manager at Stuttgart, 2012 assistant at Schalke)

Bremen: Thomas Schaaf (1987-1995 U17 manager and assistant, 1999 promoted to manager at Bremen)

Nürnberg: Michael Wiesinger (2011-12 Nürnberg II, 2012 promoted)

Hoffenheim: Marco Kurz (2006-07 assistant at 1860 München, 2007 promoted at München)

Augsburg: Markus Weinzierl (2006-08 assistant at Regensburg, 2008 promoted at Regensburg)

Fürth: Mike Büskens (2002-09 assistang at Schalke, 2009 manager in Fürth... and sacked yesterday...)

The following ones got directly into a manager's job (not necessarily the one they're in today) without ever working as assistants before:

Jürgen Klopp (Dortmund)

Armin Veh (Frankfurt)

Lucien Favre (Mönchengladbach)

Bruno Labbadia (Stuttgart)

Norbert Meyer (Düsseldorf)

Dieter Hecking (Wolfsburg)

That's actually more coaches following the path from assistant manager to manager than I even thought.

But if they did implement it where it happened a lot, those assistant managers would then be taking our jobs. What would be the point in that? The aim of the game is to get a job, and that would be harder if there was widespread "promoting from within" from a position that you cannot hold yourself.

Can you imagine the scenes on this forum? Dey tuk our jerbs!

they_took_our_jobs_poster-r6cf16a82e875430bb2a86fbccdf400d7_jbqw_400.jpg

West Brom manager Steve Clarke went straight from being even lower as Liverpool first team coach into managment and they're a solid Premier league team.

Obviously forgotten in the premier league Steve Clarke, Chris Houghton, Nigel Adkins, Brian McDermott, Brendan Rodgers and Arsene Wenger who started as a Assistant Manager at AS Cannes. I have seen this a few times in the game, but not as much as it happens in real life, especially Premier league coaches/Ass Managers going to lower league clubs as managers.

David Moyes was originally an assistant manager, then manager at Preston.. now look at him, one of the most stable jobs in football.

Soon to be succeeded by the Bayern job being the easiest job on the planet...funny that, it's almost like Pep can only succeed at clubs that are already dominant...

Perhaps his coaching style doesn't develop dominence but refines it? Maybe he should have a go at a sleeping giant like Crystal Palace?

Archived