Question with regard to the next gen consoles.

I am wondering if SI have any plans to make FM available again on consoles.

The announcement of the PS4 is in less than 2 hours and if rumours are to be believed it will launch with 8 cores @ 1.6,maybe 4GB or more RAM and a GPU that equals that of a 6870/550 card.

I remember Miles said a while back that they would not release FM on console again because of the shortcomings of the console,while the new consoles can not beat the top end PC's but with the specs rumoured that would be equal to a mid range PC today and in theory should be a good base to run FM.

Is this something that SI will be looking at again for maybe FM15?

You might be thinking about CM5 which wasn't an SI product, I think the SI console release (CM 3) ran from 2001-03.

It all boils down to money though & whether the console market could provide enough additional customers (not just those moving from PC to console versions) to justify the costs of porting & fully testing the game on a couple of different platforms is debatable.

Edit: I didn't know about the FM06, 7 & 8 releases on the Xbox platform, proves that you really do learn something new every day.

You won't get a definite answer either way.

Hardware is improving, so the basis is there for FM on the forthcoming PS4 or Xbox. Do they have the resources to develop on another platform? Can the sales support development on another platform?

I'd think FM15 would come too soon mind.

"Limitations" probably isn't just about how fast a console goes. Just because it can work on something doesn't mean it should. There's some phones you could probably (technically) run full-fat FM on with a small number of leagues and a modified interface. But would you? No. I can honestly think of no worse platform for a game of this type than a console. FM is the perfect laptop game, as you can leave it on in the background and do other things. I imagine it would get quite boring as a console game.

The Sony announcement last night was seriously lame .

No showing of what it looks like or what it is going to be seriously cpapable of .

Who in their right mind announces a new console without showing it off .

It seemed like they are expecting Microsoft to announce their new one soon and are running scared of being left behind again early on

The Sony announcement last night was seriously lame .

No showing of what it looks like or what it is going to be seriously cpapable of .

Who in their right mind announces a new console without showing it off .

It seemed like they are expecting Microsoft to announce their new one soon and are running scared of being left behind again early on

Wrong.

ALL full console announcements come at E3. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have all held pre-release conferences (like yesterdays' Sony one) in the past (Sony didn't even NAME the PS1 in its pre-release conference, let alone show it) to build anticipation ahead of E3.

To be fair these new consoles are going to be better than most PCs in use today that have FM installed on them. I'd hazard a guess that the average FMer doesn't have a huge gaming rig, and they're running on a computer that 'just gets by', so it's not improbably that SI would revisit the new ones.

How would you even play FM with a gamepad?

Think outside the box.

does not compute

Yeah sorry, that was a bit of a twatish reply. You can get all sorts of accessories for consoles these days, track pads, keyboard, mouse; most come with hands free too like the kinect.

When the new xbox comes out it'll be much more powerful than my current iMac, so it should be more than capable. However, you cannot beat that desktop experience.

Archived