The Long (Eaton) and winding road to...success or failure.

Raware

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     2nd      FA Vase winners
2013/14  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     1st   P  League Champions, FA Vase winners
2014/15  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League 1st Division South  1st   P  League Champions
2015/16  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League                     1st   P  League Champions
2016/17  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				4th   
2017/18  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				2nd   P  Playoffs winners
2018/19  Long Eaton United  Blue Square Premier                         - Left for Burton Albion - November 2018
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier                         3rd      Joined - November 2018
2019/20  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier				1st   P  League Champions, FA Trophy winners 
2020/21  Burton Albion      NPower League Two				4th   
2021/22  Leeds United       NPower League Two  				1st   P  League Champions
2022/23  Leeds United       NPower League One				1st   P  League Champions, JPT winners
2023/24  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				3rd			

Trophies won

NPower League One - 2022/23

NPower League Two - 2021/22

Blue Square Premier - 2019/2020

Northern Premier League - 2015/16

Northern Premier League 1st Division South - 2014/15

Northern Counties East Premier Division - 2013/14

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2022/23

FA Trophy - 2019/20

FA Vase - 2012/13, 2013/14

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nottingham Forest - February 2024/25

Nottingham_Forest_zpsfb16dcd2.png

Nottingham Forest

01.02.25 - Npower League Championship - Swansea City v Nottingham Forest : 0-2 : A brace from Uwe Platins gave us a good win in Wales and a winning start to February.

08.02.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Middlesbrough : 1-0 : Another tough game against one of the promotion hopefuls saw a predictable tentative game as both teams looked tight at the back. Thankfully though it was us that got the important decisive goal thanks to Soares, 7 minutes into the match.

18.02.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Sheffield Wednesday : 1-0 : Another close encounter saw us once again nick the game 1-0 as Uwe Platins struck on 72 minutes.

26.02.25 - Npower League Championship - Blackpool v Nottingham Forest : 0-2 : We finished the month off with a great win at the seaside thanks to our captain Gethin Jones and Pat Grant which rounded off an excellent month for us :).

February League Table : A perfect month for us saw us win 4 out 4 in the league and reclaim top spot even if it is on goal difference.

Nottingham Forest - March 2024/25

Nottingham Forest

01.03.25 - Npower League Championship - Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest : 0-0 : How we didn’t win this game I’ll never know as we had more than enough opportunities but in the end we had to settle for a point at The Valley.

04.03.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Derby County : 3-0 : The game that every Forest fan looks forward to arrived as our hated rivals made the trip down the A52. How they wished they hadn’t though as we battered the sheep thanks to goals from Simon O’Kane, Eddie Gray and Tom Milner completed a 3-0 win and double over Derby this season :).

08.03.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Ipswich Town : 3-0 : With our fans still buzzing over our 3-0 demolition of Derby 4 days earlier, we treated them once again with an outstanding performance against the Tractor Boys which saw us run out comfortable 3-0 winners.

15.03.25 - Npower League Championship - Wycombe Wanderers v Nottingham Forest : 2-2 : We faced bottom of the league Wycombe in a game which should have seen us win comfortably and after 45 minutes it looked as if we would as Uwe Platins and Soares put us 2-0 up. With this league being this league though, Wycombe showed signs that maybe they shouldn’t be involved in a relegation scrap as they fought back to get a deserved point.

19.03.25 - Npower League Championship - Burnley v Nottingham Forest : 1-1 : Burnley took the lead early on in this game which took us by surprise really and after that we were chasing the game. We finally got our reward on the hour mark but in the end we had to settle for a point.

28.03.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Huddersfield Town : 3-2 : Our month ended with an excellent win against Huddersfield, who were relegated from the Premier League last season and still have some very good players so to grab all 3 points was very satisfying

March League Table : 3 wins and 3 draws was enough to keep in touch with Villa but more importantly, confirm a play-off place for us. Considering we had this piece of news at the end of the month and then this piece of news, I think promotion is a definite must this season if we’re to have any chance of getting our ever increasing debt back under control.

Nottingham Forest - April 2024/25

Nottingham Forest

05.04.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Reading : 0-1 : A tight affair saw us concede a late goal to put a dent in our challenge for the title as Reading further increased their hopes for a promotion push.

12.04.25 - Npower League Championship - Mansfield Town v Nottingham Forest : 0-3 : We put aside our blip against Reading last week to batter our local neighbours 3-0 thanks to goals from Simon O’Kane, his 10th goal of the season, Tom Milner and Soares.

15.04.25 - Npower League Championship - Wigan Athletic v Nottingham Forest : 1-0 : A disappointing defeat to middle of the table Wigan probably signals the end of our title challenge as Villa won to pull further ahead in the table, leaving us trailing them by 5 points with 4 games to go.

19.04.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Hull City : 0-0 : Our home tie with Hull fizzled out into a boring 0-0 draw which definitely ends our title challenge but probably more importantly though guarantees promotion for us
meaning we’ll be playing Premier League football next season!!! ;)

21.04.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Crewe Alexandra : 4-1 : With promotion sealed it gave me a chance to field a few of the fringe players and did they prove a point? The on loan Eddie Gray and the ageing Jesse Lingard both hit a brace to complete a 4-1 rout for us.

26.04.25 - Npower League Championship - Coventry City v Nottingham Forest : 1-2 : Having played so well in our previous game, the same starting 11 kept their places and it proved to be the right decision as once again they performed to give us all 3 points as Connor Wickham and Simon O’Kane grabbed the goals for us.

April League Table : Defeats to Reading and Wigan Athletic this month signaled an end to our title challenge but wins against Mansfield Town, Crewe Alexandra and Coventry City confirmed our position in the 2nd automatic promotion spot meaning that we’ll be playing Premier League football next season! :D.

To add to this fantastic news this month, we got confirmation of our new chairman as Fawaz Al-Hasawi was announced as our new owner although he’s already stated that there are no plans to provide any investment.

Nottingham Forest - May 2024/25

Nottingham Forest

03.05.25 - Npower League Championship - Nottingham Forest v Millwall : 2-0 : May saw us play out our final game of the season in front of our own fans who before and during the game were celebrating our promotion to the Premier League :D. With Millwall having nothing to play for and with us already planning for next season at a higher level, the game was a formality really as Simon O’Kane’s 2 goals finished our season in fine style.

May League Table : Just the one game in May finished our season off as Hull City joined us and Villa in the promotion places to the Premier League.

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss. No play-offs.

Edit: 96 points and you finished second. That has got to be some sort of record.

Absolutely! No Play-Offs! :D I hate Play-Offs. I'd of thought 96 points would've been enough too but Villa were on fire all season.

Nottingham Forest - Season Review 2024/25

Nottingham Forest

Npower League Championship/Npower League Championship progress : We went one better than last seasons 3rd place finish and play-off defeat as we clinched an automatic promotion spot, finishing 2nd in the league :D

FA Cup : After defeating Premier League West Ham in the 3rd round, I thought we might go far this season but despite outplaying Fulham in the 4th round we found ourselves on the end of a 2-0 defeat and out of the competition once again.

League Cup : West Ham ended our League Cup run in the 3rd round, although we did later get our revenge in the FA Cup ;).

Transfers : Quite a busy couple of transfer windows for us saw us bring in 12 players for ÂŁ3.5 million while 7 players headed the other way for a total of ÂŁ9 million with Elliot Cousins being the disappointing departure after my chairman accepted a ÂŁ6.75 million bid from Stoke City on my behalf.

Squad : Having been able to bring my own players in this season and build a squad which I thought was capable of a promotion push after last seasons play-off disappointment, they didn’t let me down as they went on to claim automatic promotion. Uwe Platins showed what potential he has as he stepped it up a level and bagged himself 22 goals in all competitions while Simon O’Kane got 13 goals in his first season with us. There’s no doubt though that while the set of players did fantastically well, we’ll definitely need to strengthen in the summer if we’re to survive in the top flight next season.

Finances : Despite raking in ÂŁ9 million from player sales this season (offset by ÂŁ3.5 million - net ÂŁ5.5 million) we still find ourselves in debt; nearly ÂŁ3 million in debt to be precise. The TV money from the Premier League and boosted gate receipts next season should sort our debt out though.

My views of the season
 : Play-offs were the minimum for us this season with automatic promotion really the aim so to have done that is very pleasing.

My aims for next season
 : Nothing other than survival!

Former club watch

Long Eaton United : Finished 4th in the Blue Square North and qualified for the play-offs. Made it to the Play-Off final but lost to AFC Telford 2-0 meaning they’ll spend another season in the BSN.

Burton Albion : Despite being the favourites to bounce back up to League Two after relegation last season, The Brewers finished a disappointing 16th in the Blue Square Premier.

Leeds United : Finished bottom of the Premier League on 28 points, 6 points off safety as they make an immediate return to The Championship.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
2012/13  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     2nd      FA Vase winners
2013/14  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     1st   P  League Champions, FA Vase winners
2014/15  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League 1st Division South  1st   P  League Champions
2015/16  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League                     1st   P  League Champions
2016/17  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				4th   
2017/18  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				2nd   P  Playoffs winners
2018/19  Long Eaton United  Blue Square Premier                         - Left for Burton Albion - November 2018
2018/19  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier                         3rd      Joined - November 2018
2019/20  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier				1st   P  League Champions, FA Trophy winners 
2020/21  Burton Albion      NPower League Two				4th   
2021/22  Leeds United       NPower League Two  				1st   P  League Champions
2022/23  Leeds United       NPower League One				1st   P  League Champions, JPT winners
2023/24  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				3rd	
2024/25  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				2nd   P		

Trophies won

NPower League One - 2022/23

NPower League Two - 2021/22

Blue Square Premier - 2019/2020

Northern Premier League - 2015/16

Northern Premier League 1st Division South - 2014/15

Northern Counties East Premier Division - 2013/14

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2022/23

FA Trophy - 2019/20

FA Vase - 2012/13, 2013/14

Nottingham Forest - Pre-season 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

League expectation

-------------------------

Barclays Premier League : Board expectation - Stay clear of relegation : Media expectation - 19th (out of 20)

Cup expectations

---------------------

FA Cup : 5th round

League Cup : 4th round

Transfer budget : ÂŁ12.5M

Wage budget : ÂŁ323k p/w

Current wage bill : ÂŁ379k p/w

Season tickets sold : 17,442 (3783+ from last season)

My views for the season ahead
 : It’s going to be a very tough season with nothing other than survival being my only priority
give me 17th now and I’ll snatch your hand off! To help us try and avoid the drop this season I’ve brought in 6 players for a total of £9.75 million as Graham Millar and Barrie Strachan both join us from Ross County on free transfers, Glenn Clough joins from Middlesbrough for £800k, Kyle Jones joins from Rochdale for £3 million, Leonardo Salerno comes in from Lecce on a free and Marc Renton joins us for a club record £6 million, smashing the clubs previous record of £3.5 million for Pierre van Hooijdonk from Celtic.

Some solid signings there. However it will be tough :(. Has Derby's record been beaten ever yet?

They'll never lose that record! I think we'll even beat that this season :D You going on Saturday then?

Congrats on winning promotion,hopefully you will be able to survive the Premier League!

Cheers B.W.G. I'll be happy with 17th :)

Nottingham Forest - August 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

02.08.25 - Friendly - Feyenoord v Nottingham Forest : 2-1 : We started our pre-season tour of Holland with a very tough game against former Dutch champions Feyenoord. It was always going to be a difficult game for us so when we went 2-0 down after 66 minutes it came as no surprise. What was pleasing though was how we responded as we pulled a goal back through new signing Marc Renton and even though that’s how the score stayed, I was pleased with what I saw considering it was our first pre-season game.

06.08.25 - Friendly - PSV Eindhoven v Nottingham Forest : 1-0 : Another tough game for us on our tour of The Netherlands as we faced another of the former Dutch champions in the form of PSV. While I was pleased with our last performance against Feyenoord despite our defeat, I was far from pleased with this performance as we were nowhere in this game as PSV completely dominated us and in truth should have won by 4 or 5.

09.08.25 - Friendly - Sc Heerenveen v Nottingham Forest : 1-1 : Our pre-season tour of The Netherlands came to an end with a tie against Sc Heerenveen which saw us once again outplayed by our opposition. How we ended up drawing this game I’ll never know but in the end the results weren’t the important factor, getting pre-season fitness under belts was.

17.08.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Norwich City : 0-0 : Our 1st Premier League game since the 1998/99 season (27 years!) wasn’t exactly what you’d call a thriller as we were live on Sky Sports for the Super Sunday game but nevertheless, avoiding defeat in our opening game has to be seen as a positive as we shared the points with The Canaries.

23.08.25 - Barclays Premier League - Newcastle United v Nottingham Forest : 1-2 : Up next for us was a trip to St. James’ Park in a game which no-one gave us a chance in. But we proved the critics and pundits wrong as goals from Soares and Uwe Platins ensured that we ruined many pools coupons across the land :).

26.08.25 - League Cup 1st Round - Nottingham Forest v AFC Bournemouth : 1-0 : I made 10 changes to the side that beat Newcastle 6 days earlier and probably shouldn’t of as we made extremely hard work of beating League One Bournemouth as we had to rely on an own goal from Ian Preene to ensure our passage to the 3rd round.

30.08.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Southampton : 1-2 : As is going to be the norm this season, we were underdogs for this game yet surprisingly we didn’t play like underdogs as Uwe Platins put us into a deserved lead 2 minutes before the break. Our lead didn’t last long though as Anthony Page equalized for The Saints a minute later and then grabbed a late, late winner 3 minutes into stoppage time (where the ref got 3 minutes from I don’t know!) to resign us to our first defeat of the season, an undeserved defeat at that!

August League Table : A decentish start to the season as 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss leaves us sitting 13th in the table at this early stage. While the win at Newcastle was very pleasing and unexpected, if we’re to survive this season we need to be taking the points from the likes of Norwich and Southampton as we won’t be able to from the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Nottingham Forest - September 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

13.09.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Arsenal : 1-0 : We started September off with an extremely tough game as Arsenal made the trip to The City Ground. Knowing that we’d be on the back foot for much of the game, I set us up very defensively with 5 at the back and just 1 up front in the hope that we could shut Arsenal out while snatching a goal if a chance came our way. My plan worked perfectly :) as Arsenal dominated for large periods of the game but they just couldn’t break us down as Uwe Platins took his chance when it came his way as we surprised a lot of people by beating The Gunners!

20.09.25 - Barclays Premier League - West Ham United v Nottingham Forest : 1-2 : A 2nd successive win thanks to a brace from Marc Renton sees us rise to 6th in the table as we get an early nose bleed!

26.09.25 - League Cup 2nd Round - Everton v Nottingham Forest : 2-1 : Our reward for beating Bournemouth in the last round was a tough trip to Goodison Park and that proved to be the case as despite matching Everton in every department, the Toffee’s took their chances to send us out of the cup a round earlier than what the board were expecting :(.

27.09.25 - Barclays Premier League - Fulham v Nottingham Forest : 2-1 : I thought we had a good chance of taking all 3 points in this game especially after playing so well in our previous 2 league games against Arsenal and West Ham but we just didn’t take our chances as Fulham grabbed a late winner 3 minutes from time to nick all of the points.

September League Table : 6 points out of 9 this month sees us rise to 9th in the league as we continue our decent start to the season. Not so good in the cup as Everton halted our progress in a competition which I wanted to make the latter stages of as they beat us 2-1 to knock us out a round earlier than what the board wanted.

Nottingham Forest - October 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

05.10.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Liverpool : 1-0 : Another tough start to this month as it was last month as Liverpool made the trip to ours this time in a game which saw us labeled as heavy underdogs. Again, I set us up very defensively with 5 at the back and 1 up top and it worked again as a Bram Zschusschen own goal gave us a very unexpected 3 points :).

18.10.25 - Barclays Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest : 2-0 : The tough games were coming thick and fast now as after beating Liverpool we faced Manchester United at Old Trafford. I had no choice but to field 5 at the back again as anything else I felt would have left us exposed and probably on the end of a battering, so to come away from Old Trafford only losing 2-0 is quite pleasing. Well, as pleasing as a loss can be.

26.10.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Aston Villa : 3-1 : We finished the month off with a visit from Aston Villa who pipped us to the title last season and did the double over us too. So to beat them 3-1, even if they did dominate much of the possession, is very pleasing and puts a stop to our run of defeats against them.

October League Table : 6 more points out of a possible 9, with the only points us dropping being at Old Trafford, gives us a great platform as we almost hit the quarter way mark of the season. Having beaten the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool already this season, it gives us a great chance of survival, providing of course we can do what is necessary and beat the so called ‘lesser teams’. It’s a clichĂ© which is always used in football, especially in the Premier League but if we can hit the magical 40 point mark, that’s just 24 more points, then we should be ok; anything else would be a bonus. There’s along way to go yet but it’s looking promising so far :).

Some great results against Liverpool and Arsenal; the early signs are good! Seems like you've got your tactics spot on in these games :thup:

Cheers AK :thup: This season in the Prem is certainly giving me a lot to think about tactically :D. I don't think I've swapped and changed tactics so much in this save. Normally I play a counter attacking 4-1-3-2 but I've been having to switch to a defensive 4-1-3-2, a counter attacking 5-1-3-1 and a defensive 5-1-3-1 just to name a few.

Nottingham Forest - November 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

01.11.25 - Barclays Premier League - Bristol City v Nottingham Forest : 0-4 : A superb 4-0 win away at struggling Bristol City on my birthday thanks to goals from Marc Renton, Soares and a double from Uwe Platins shoots us up to 2nd in the league, even if it’s only for a few hours.

05.11.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Queens Park Rangers : 0-2 : I thought we had this game in the bag despite QPR’s recent good form as at times we were playing some wonderful stuff but we just lost our concentration as Kieran Parsonage snatched a late goal 7 minutes from time. We pushed on to try and find an equalizer but got caught again as Armin Janjic doubled the away sides lead to confirm the win for them and leave us feeling slightly deflated.

09.11.25 - Barclays Premier League - Blackburn Rovers v Nottingham Forest : 3-1 : How Blackburn are languishing at the bottom end of the table I’ll never know as they were superb throughout this game as we never got a look in. Uwe Platins grabbed a goal for us but Blackburn saw us off with 3 of their own to deservedly take all 3 points.

22.11.25 - Barclays Premier League - Stoke City v Nottingham Forest : 0-1 : A big win for us was very much what was needed after losing 2 on the bounce especially against one of the ‘lesser teams’ in the form of Stoke.

28.11.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Hull City : 1-0 : Another massive win for us against one of our relegation rivals thanks to Uwe Platins’ 8th goal of the season sees us end the month where we started it in 6th. How we didn’t win by more than one goal though is a mystery as we completely battered them.

November League Table : 3 wins and 2 losses (9 points out of 15) was more than pleasing as we’re picking up vital points to get us to that magic 40 point mark. With just 15 more points needed from 24 games to guarantee what I think will be safety, we can then relax (or should be able to relax) without the fear of relegation and money worries once more. Easier said than done though as I know how quickly form and results can turn so we have to stay focused.

20.07.24 - Friendly - Glentoran v Nottingham Forest : 0-1 : We started our pre-season off this year with a week in Ireland as we took on Irish champions Glentoran at The Oval. I gave a half each for the majority of our squad to enable them all to get some pre-season fitness under their belts which included starts for our new signings. It was one of our new signings that got the winner for us as Sixto Byram, signed on a free from Lazio during the summer, struck right on full time to give us a winning start to our time in Ireland.

27.07.24 - Friendly - Cliftonville v Nottingham Forest : 0-4 : Our weeks tour of Ireland ended with a 4-0 win against Cliftonville at Solitude as goals from Simon O’Kane, George Haynes, Frank Clarke and Jesse Lingard sent our fans back home to England happy and full of Guiness.

Sorry to be so pedantic but Glentoran and Cliftonville are in Northern Ireland, there are separate leagues in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Otherwise... great save so far, been following this for a few days now. Great to see you getting a chance at the club you support too. Especially since you did it the right way but working your way up to them from the bottom!

Sorry to be so pedantic but Glentoran and Cliftonville are in Northern Ireland, there are separate leagues in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Otherwise... great save so far, been following this for a few days now. Great to see you getting a chance at the club you support too. Especially since you did it the right way but working your way up to them from the bottom!

Doh...typo :o. I had a long term save in N.Ireland a few FM's ago with Lurgan Celtic where I took them to the top division in N. Ireland so I know the teams/league well. Although it was nothing as epic as Nep's Knockbreda save!

Nice to hear that you've been following the thread and are enjoying it :thup:. I'm enjoying it at the minute as like you say, I'm managing the club I support after working my way up. I always like to play my saves realistically and I think that the way I've done it so far is quite realistic (apart from the bit with us in the Prem!) :D.

Nottingham Forest - December 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

07.12.25 - Barclays Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Nottingham Forest : 1-0 : Our tough month started with a trip to White Hart Lane in a game which saw us labeled as heavy underdogs. Spurs were flying high in the league and have some outstanding players so I did what I have been doing this season and that was to set us up in a 5-1-3-1 formation in the hope that we could shut them out and snatch a break away goal. For 88 minutes it looked as we would be able to keep Spurs from scoring and take a valuable point but the ongoing pressure from Spurs throughout the game proved to be too much in the end as they grabbed a deserved winner to take all 3 points.

13.12.25 - Barclays Premier League - Everton v Nottingham Forest : 1-0 : Our tough month continued as despite the Toffee’s languishing at the wrong end of the table, we knew we were in for a difficult game as you always are at Goodison. Again, we set up very defensively but even with us just edging possession, we failed to create many chances as Everton took full advantage to score one of theirs and take all of the points.

20.12.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Chelsea : 0-1 : Like I said, it’s a tough month for us and the visit of Chelsea didn’t make it any easier! 5-1-3-1 was the shape we took as anything else would’ve probably seen us on the end of a proper bumming at home, which is never good! (I still remember the 8-1 against Man Utd in 1999!) We knew we faced a difficult task especially with Chelsea playing the way they are so in the end to only lose 1-0 has to be seen as a decent result even if it does subject us to our 3rd straight defeat.

23.12.25 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Manchester City : 1-3 : Another toughie as we welcomed Man City to The City Ground and to be honest, we were lucky to get away with a 3-1 defeat
City were that good.

27.12.25 - Barclays Premier League - West Bromwich Albion v Nottingham Forest : 1-1 : We ended a terrible month with a point at The Hawthorns thanks to Glen McGovern’s 32nd minute strike which at least gives us 1 point this month!

December League Table : A poor December for us saw us pick up just 1 point out of a possible 15 as we slide down to 9th (I blame Nottingham Forest for putting the jinx on us! ;)). However, looking at the teams we faced I have to say that I didn’t expect anything from these games anyway so it’s not all doom and gloom despite no win in 5. We must pick our form up though going into the new year or with just 6 points separating us from the drop zone, we could soon see ourselves on a fast and slippery slope!

• 3 weeks later...

Nottingham Forest - January 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

10.01.26 - FA Cup 3rd Round - Wycombe Wanderers v Nottingham Forest : 2-3 : FA Cup 3rd round weekend gave us a welcome break from league action as we made the journey to Adams Park looking to progress to the next round with minimal fuss and as we reached half time, it looked as if we would as we raced into a 3-0 lead. We made hard work of the game though as we took our foot off and let Wycombe creep back into the game in the 2nd half as they pulled 2 goals back. Luckily though, we managed to hang on to get the victory and with that a place in the 4th round
just!

13.01.26 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Newcastle United : 1-1 : A return to league action saw us still have to wait for a win as Newcastle went back to the North East with a point after a very dubious penalty was awarded to them, leaving us without a win in 6 games now.

18.01.26 - Barclays Premier League - Norwich City v Nottingham Forest : 0-0 : A frustrating performance from us as we just couldn’t break the deadlock against a resilient Norwich side who had been reduced to 9 men!

24.01.26 - FA Cup 4th Round - Everton v Nottingham Forest : 0-4 : After disposing of Wycombe in the last round we drew Everton in the 4th round who earlier in the season had knocked us out in the 3rd round of the League Cup. How revenge was sweet as we surprisingly battered them with Marc Renton netting a hat trick!

27.01.26 - Barclays Premier League - Southampton v Nottingham Forest : 2-0 : A difficult trip to St. Mary’s against a Southampton side that were flying high in the league saw us fail to upset the odds as we never really had a chance and Saints were well worth their win, leaving us without a Premier League win in 8 games now and sliding down the league! Damn you Nottingham Forest

31.01.26 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v West Ham United : 1-0 : A much needed win at home against The Hammers gives us a little bit of breathing space as we pull 9 points clear of the relegation zone at the end of the month.

January League Table : I thought we were going to go another month without a Premier League win but that win against West Ham put an end to our woeful run as we finish January in 9th. I think we can safely say that Bristol City are down now but there’s still a hell of a lot to play for as just 9 points separate us and Everton in 18th with 15 games to go. I still think that 40 points should be enough so 3 more wins should hopefully see us safe.

Not a good month for us regarding players as Matthew Regan, George Haynes and Callum Chambers have all come to me wanting a new challenge and have requested to leave the club. While I’m not too bothered about Regan and Chambers leaving (they’re both 31 years old) I’d still like to keep hold of Haynes as he’s only 26. But, should he insist on leaving I’ve already taken the step in preparing for his possible departure by bringing in Derek Marsden from Everton for £2 million who is actually a much better player so chances are that Haynes will get his wish and leave in the summer.

Nottingham Forest - February 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

03.02.26 - Barclays Premier League - Arsenal v Nottingham Forest : 0-1 : Our difficult month of fixtures which include Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal started at Arsenal as we made the trip to the Emirates in a game which saw nobody give us a chance. In these types of games this season where we’ve been billed as heavy underdogs, I’ve been setting us up very defensively with 5 at the back and this game was no different. It proved to be the right decision again as despite being dominated for virtually the full 90 minutes, we took our only chance on target thanks to Leonardo Salerno’s early strike as we managed to shut out The Gunners and snatch all 3 points :).

08.02.26 - Barclays Premier League - Liverpool v Nottingham Forest : 1-1 : Another tough game for us had us travelling to Merseyside as Liverpool welcomed us to Anfield. No game at Anfield is ever easy and once again we set ourselves up in a 5-1-3-1 formation in the hope of another snatch and grab. A minute before half time though and it looked as if our plan wasn’t going to work as Ronald Schouten put Liverpool 1-0 up. A few spoken words at the break saw us come out in the 2nd half and take the game to the scousers as we slowly got back into the match and we grabbed a deserved equalizer through Uwe Platins which in the end was enough to give us a valuable point at full time.

14.02.26 - FA Cup 5th Round - Nottingham Forest v Watford : 0-0 : Watford were our opponents in the 5th round of the FA Cup and although we looked like favourites on paper it wasn’t that straight forward as Watford came with a game plan and executed it perfectly as they took us to a replay back at their place in 10 days time.

24.02.26 - FA Cup 5th Round Replay - Watford v Nottingham Forest : 1-2 : We made no mistake this time around against The Hornets as we made sure that we took our chances to book our place in the 6th round and take another step closer to Wembley :).

28.02.26 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Manchester United : 2-1 : We rounded off a superb month for us with an outstanding display against United as a brace from Uwe Platins ensured that we took all 3 points and broke many a football coupon :).

February League Table : A fantastic month for us saw us beat Arsenal and Manchester United while holding Liverpool to a draw while we also progressed to the FA Cup 6th round after disposing of Watford after a replay. I couldn’t of asked for a better month as those points take us 2 points away from the magic 40 point mark that I wanted to reach to ensure what I feel will be enough for safety :).

Nottingham Forest - March 2025/26

Nottingham Forest

08.03.26 - Barclays Premier League - Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest : 1-1 : A very even game between two well matched sides ended in an unsurprising draw as another point takes us closer to safety.

11.03.26 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Fulham : 1-1 : I wanted a win against a struggling Fulham side but we were surprisingly outclassed as Fulham made a point of proving the doubters wrong by dominating much of the game. Thanks to Brian Simmons’ 73rd minute strike though we took a point which takes us to our season target of 40 points. If we don’t get another point now and are relegated on 40 points we’ll be extremely unlucky.

14.03.26 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Bristol City : 2-0 : Goals from Derek Marsden (his 1st for the club) and captain Gethin Jones was enough to give us all 3 points against bottom of the table strugglers Bristol City.

21.03.26 - FA Cup 6th Round - Chelsea v Nottingham Forest : 2-0 : Our tie against Chelsea in the 6th round was always going to be a difficult ask for us and despite fielding a very defensive formation Chelsea dominated us as we were lucky to keep it to 2-0.

25.03.26 - Barclays Premier League - Nottingham Forest v Blackburn Rovers : 0-1 : Blackburn were well worth their win as they were better than the 1-0 score line suggests. We just didn’t have an answer for them.

28.03.26 - Barclays Premier League - Queens Park Rangers v Nottingham Forest : 0-0 : We ended the month with a very lucky draw at Loftus Road as QPR missed a hat full of chances as well as a penalty!

March League Table : 6 points out of a possible 15 this month doesn’t seem like a good month but I’m more than happy with it as it further solidifies our position in the Premier League as we sit 8th in the league, with even a slight chance of Europa League qualification! :). As for the FA Cup, Chelsea ended our dreams in it but considering how far we went and who we went out to, I can have no complaints.

One more bit of news this month was a job offer from Stoke City who despite offering me a better wage and a better wage budget than I have at Forest, I chose to decline as their squad is no better than what I have here at Forest and frankly, why would I leave the club I support to go to a struggling Stoke City side.

Archived