The Long (Eaton) and winding road to...success or failure.

Raware

Northern Ireland - May 2028/29

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

Again no game for us this month but the World Rankings were announced which saw us rise 2 places back up to 29th in the world. One more piece of news for us this month, some very disappointing news was my assistant Colin Cooper announcing his retirement at the end of the 2028/29 season :(. A real shame for me as I made him my assistant when I was at Nottingham Forest, Celtic and when I became Northern Ireland manager. Who I’ll find to replace him, I’m not sure yet…

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Ireland - June 2028/29

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

01.06.29 - World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 - Germany v Northern Ireland : 1-1 : A massive game for us which saw us labeled as very heavy underdogs against a very strong German team. We were always going to have to sacrifice possession in this game and probably everything else so I set the team up in a 4-5-1 formation. I knew that if we set up too defensively we’d just invite the Germans onto us and with their quality it’d only be a matter of time before they breached us. So, the idea with the 4-5-1 was to saturate the midfield and to try and stop them playing. At first I thought my plan had back fired as with just 12 minutes gone the Germans were 1-0 up thanks to David Slunecko. But, we responded excellently just 4 minutes later to grab an equalizer on the counter attack which is how it stayed for the rest of the game. Yes, they battered us but we managed to stifle their play and prevent them from scoring another goal as we snatched a very unlikely draw at RheinEnergieStadion :).

World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 : We drop back down to 2nd in the group but with arguably our toughest game (away at Germany) out of the way now, we leave ourselves still in a very good position within the group. However, with Ukraine winning again, they’ve closed the group up even more as just 3 points separate 1st and 4th.

Northern Ireland - Season Review 2028/29

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 : The end of the 2028/29 season sees us sitting 2nd in our World Cup qualifying group after playing just over half of our games. With both of our games against Germany out of the way now, we’ve got a great chance of qualifying especially if we can get a result against Turkey.

Squad : Nobody gave us a chance in our World Cup qualifying group, not even the FA, but the squad of players have done remarkably well to be in the position that we’re in. While we don’t have a massive pool of players to choose from, some of the players that we do have, have some real quality like our captain Matt McKay and vice captain Andy Cooley.

My views of the season… : A great season for us as we’re in a fantastic position with just 4 qualifying games remaining.

My aims for next season… : Obviously qualification would be nice via finishing either 1st or 2nd but with no pressure on us, we don’t have to worry too much if we fail to qualify as our performances so far should please the FA.

Former club watch

Long Eaton United : With 3 straight promotions under their belt they almost made it 4 as they finished 5th in League One and lost in the play-off semi finals.

Burton Albion : Finished 2nd in League Two and with that were promoted to League One.

Leeds United : Finished 11th in the Premier League.

Nottingham Forest : Finished 7th in the Premier League and qualified for the Europa League :).

Celtic : Surrendered their league title to Hibernian as they finished as runners-up in the SPL. Didn’t retain any of their cups either as they were knocked out early on in both the FA and League Cup.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     2nd      FA Vase winners
2013/14  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     1st   P  League Champions, FA Vase winners
2014/15  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League 1st Division South  1st   P  League Champions
2015/16  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League                     1st   P  League Champions
2016/17  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				4th      -
2017/18  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				2nd   P  Playoffs winners
2018/19  Long Eaton United  Blue Square Premier                         - Left for Burton Albion - November 2018
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier                         3rd      Joined - November 2018
2019/20  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier				1st   P  League Champions, FA Trophy winners 
2020/21  Burton Albion      NPower League Two				4th      -
2021/22  Leeds United       NPower League Two  				1st   P  League Champions
2022/23  Leeds United       NPower League One				1st   P  League Champions, JPT winners
2023/24  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				3rd	
2024/25  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				2nd   P	
2025/26  Nottingham Forest  Barclays Premier League 			8th	
2026/27  Nottingham Forest  Barclays Premier League			- Left for Celtic - December 2026
2026/27  Celtic             Clydesdale Bank Premier League		1st      League Champions, FA Cup winners, League Cup winners
2027/28  Celtic             Clydesdale Bank Premier League		1st      League Champions, FA Cup winners, League Cup winners
2028/29  Northern Ireland   

Trophies won

Clydesdale Bank Premier League - 2026/27, 2027/28

Scottish FA Cup - 2026/27, 2027/28

Scottish League Cup - 2026/27, 2027/28

NPower League One - 2022/23

NPower League Two - 2021/22

Blue Square Premier - 2019/2020

Northern Premier League - 2015/16

Northern Premier League 1st Division South - 2014/15

Northern Counties East Premier Division - 2013/14

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2022/23

FA Trophy - 2019/20

FA Vase - 2012/13, 2013/14

Northern Ireland - Season Expectations 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

Northern Ireland

World Cup Qualification expectation : Be competitive in the group

My views for the season ahead… : Considering the great first half of World Cup qualification we’ve had the FA still want us just to be competitive in our group so there’s no pressure on us to get to Italy in 2030. Obviously I want to get there though and with remaining games against Moldova, Turkey, Ukraine and Andorra there’s no reason why we can’t qualify.

Northern Ireland - September 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

07.09.29 - World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 - Northern Ireland v Turkey : 1-0 : A huge game for us against group leaders Turkey which saw us play out a very tight game at Windsor Park. Both teams had few chances but it was us that managed to get the all important winning goal thanks to Glenn Donnelly’s 55th minute strike which puts us back at the top of the group :).

11.09.29 - World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 - Northern Ireland v Moldova : 1-0 : I was expecting this game to be a little easier than it turned out to be considering our performances in the group so far and Moldova’s performances. But, games at this level are never easy and with us having played a tough game against Turkey 4 days earlier, that obviously affected us more than we thought. Still, we managed to get the win courtesy of a fantastic individual effort from our captain Matt McKay just before the hour mark which keeps us at the top of the group :).

World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 : 2 great wins this month sees us solidify our place at the top of the group as we sit 4 points clear with just 2 games remaining. Obviously qualification isn’t guaranteed yet but considering we’ve got Ukraine and Andorra left to play, we should be picking up a minimum of 3 points at least meaning that we should qualify and win the group! :)

The world rankings were also released this month and thanks to our performances in our World Cup qualification group, we’ve soared to a record 20th in the world :).

Northern Ireland - October 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

12.10.29 - World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 - Ukraine v Northern Ireland : 1-3 : Things didn’t start well for us as Ukraine took the lead after just 14 minutes through Andrey Sinitsa but we responded excellently as goals from Matt McKay and a brace from Marty O’Connor gave us a fantastic win which confirms our qualification from the group! We’re going to the World Cup :)

16.10.29 - World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 - Northern Ireland v Andorra : 3-1 : We battered Andorra as many expected us to do but I do feel that we should’ve won by more. Still…I don’t care. We not only qualified but we won the group…to the surprise of many, including me :).

World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 : To not only qualify from such a tough group but to finish top and win it by 5 points is a great achievement for us and probably something that no other Northern Irish team has ever done. Germany snuck into the runners-up place which means they’ll have to play out a play-off against Scotland to qualify for the World Cup.

Northern Ireland - December 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

The 2030 World Cup draw was made this month which sees us placed in Group E alongside Australia, Portugal and DR Congo. While it’s not the toughest group that was drawn (that goes to Group H - Argentina, Germany, Holland and Costa Rica) it’s still going to be a tricky group to get out of. Obviously Portugal are 1st seeds and favourites to win the group but we’ve got a good chance of claiming that 2nd qualification spot. With the FA delighted that we’ve made the World Cup they’re just wanting us to learn from the experience so there’s no pressure on us which makes my job a little easier.

I found this part of the forums yesterday and have just read through this thread, really enjoyed reading through your journey, good luck in the World Cup.

I would say also, you've actually inspired me a little to stick with saves, as usually, as soon as things start going wrong and I get a new idea, I quit and start a new save, don't think I'd start so low though, I'd never get to the Premier League (and by that I mean the Northern Premier League :D )

seriously though, enjoyed reading and will keep an eye out :)

I found this part of the forums yesterday and have just read through this thread, really enjoyed reading through your journey, good luck in the World Cup.

I would say also, you've actually inspired me a little to stick with saves, as usually, as soon as things start going wrong and I get a new idea, I quit and start a new save, don't think I'd start so low though, I'd never get to the Premier League (and by that I mean the Northern Premier League :D )

seriously though, enjoyed reading and will keep an eye out :)

Welcome to the forums :). Glad you enjoyed reading through my journey, I'm still enjoying playing it even though FM14 is out. I do like to try and stick with the same save even if things start going wrong. It gives me a sense of realism when playing especially when starting so low down. Hopefully, as you say, if this has inspired you, you can get a save going.

I also see you're in Derbyshire. Small world...me too :)

Welcome to the forums :). Glad you enjoyed reading through my journey, I'm still enjoying playing it even though FM14 is out. I do like to try and stick with the same save even if things start going wrong. It gives me a sense of realism when playing especially when starting so low down. Hopefully, as you say, if this has inspired you, you can get a save going.

I also see you're in Derbyshire. Small world...me too :)

only time I've managed at level 9 in England was on FM12, I did AFC Liverpool (I'm a LFC fan) and we were top of the league half way through the first season, my assistant kept asking me to drop my main keeper, so in the end I did, lost 4-0, exit the game and have never been back on it since!!

and where abouts in Derbyshire? I'm guessing near Long Eaton?! I'm near Alfreton :)

Decent enough draw, you have a chance there.

I think so too Nobby. 2nd should be more than acheivable.

only time I've managed at level 9 in England was on FM12, I did AFC Liverpool (I'm a LFC fan) and we were top of the league half way through the first season, my assistant kept asking me to drop my main keeper, so in the end I did, lost 4-0, exit the game and have never been back on it since!!

and where abouts in Derbyshire? I'm guessing near Long Eaton?! I'm near Alfreton :)

Moral of the story...ignore your assistant! :) I was in Long Eaton but moved to Woodville in Derbyshire 6 months ago.

Excellent job topping that qualification group :thup:

I'm sure everyone is waiting in anticipation of your World Cup performance. Good luck!

Ta AK. As Nobby said, a decent draw for us so qualifying from our World Cup group is more than a possibility :)

Northern Ireland - February 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

Again no game for us this month but we rose another 2 places in the World Rankings which sees us sitting 16th in the world :).

The draw for the 2032 European Championship qualifiers were also made this month which sees us placed in Group D alongside Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, Hungary and Finland. Like our World Cup group, it’s not the most difficult group but it’s going to be a tough one to get out of as, excluding Liechtenstein the other teams are more than capable of qualifying from the group.

I wished my league positions moved up like your world ranking does when you don't play.

Given those new signings you've made with that transfer money, I'm sure you'll be back up at the right end of the table next season. Although I can't complain about rising in the world rankings without even playing! :)

Northern Ireland - March 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

05.03.30 - Friendly - Northern Ireland v Republic of Ireland : 0-0 : We welcomed neighbours and rivals Republic of Ireland to Windsor Park in our first “friendly” since qualifying for the World Cup. It turned out to be a stale affair as we played out a 0-0 draw but the intensity and atmosphere of the game was good preparation for the upcoming World Cup where we’ll face games and atmosphere’s similar to this.

World rankings were also announced this month which sees us drop a place to 17th.

Northern Ireland - May 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

29.05.30 - Friendly - Northern Ireland v Zimbabwe : 2-0 : Our 2nd and final friendly game before the World Cup starts next month saw us easily dispose of Zimbabwe thanks to goals from Richard McGarvey and Glenn Donnelly.

The world rankings saw us rise 2 places this month up to 15th in the world…our highest ever placing :).

Given those new signings you've made with that transfer money, I'm sure you'll be back up at the right end of the table next season. Although I can't complain about rising in the world rankings without even playing! :)

I was sure too. Remains to be seen...

WorldCup_zpsad9ded05.png

Northern Ireland - World Cup 2030 Preview

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

The odds for the World Cup were released and it sees us ranked as one of the weakest teams in the competition. While I think we’ve got more of a chance than the bookies are giving us, I do think that we’ll do well to get out of the group. 2nd round and I’ll be happy :).

WorldCup_zpsad9ded05.png

Northern Ireland - World Cup 2030

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

17.06.30 - World Cup Group E - Northern Ireland v Australia : 4-1 : We opened our World Cup campaign with a fantastic win against the Aussies in a game which really saw both sides match each other. However, it was us who took our chances as a goal from Marty O’Connor and a superb hat trick from Glenn Donnelly gave us a rather flattering opening win of the group. Like I’m complaining though!!!

22.06.30 - World Cup Group E - DR Congo v Northern Ireland : 0-3 : We were odds-on favourites against the favourites to finish bottom of our group but it was far from an easy victory for us as DR Congo were probably the better team throughout the match. But again, it was our superior finishing that clinched the win for us as Paul McKendry, Gareth Patterson and Andy Cooley netted the goals for us which means that we qualify from the group with a game to spare :).

27.06.30 - World Cup Group E - Northern Ireland v Portugal : 0-1 : Having already qualified from the group, the pressure was off us in this game and it was probably a good thing as we were always going to find it difficult against a very good Portugal side. With Portugal having won both of their two games too, the winner of this game would finish top of the group and in theory face a weaker team in the 2nd round. As it turned out, Portugal did beat us and deservedly so to finish top of the group; but what was probably more surprising was the fact that Russia finished above Brazil in their group which means that we’ll face Russia in the 2nd round while Portugal will face Brazil :).

01.07.30 - World Cup 2nd round - Russia v Northern Ireland : 0-1 : Having completed my objective of qualifying from the group, anything else is just a bonus for us now. However, having thought that we’d probably draw Brazil in this round I was expecting us to go out of the competition. I know games at this level are never easy but facing the likes of Russia who are ranked 28th in the world rather than Brazil, I felt we had a great opportunity of making it to the last 8…and I was right as we held our own and grabbed the win thanks to Glenn Donnelly’s 4th goal of the tournament which sets us up against Holland in the Quarter Final.

06.07.30 - World Cup Quarter Final - Northern Ireland v Holland : 0-1 : Nobody expected us to be here and if I’m honest, neither did I. It just goes to show though what great progress we’re making as a nation as we’ve made it to the Quarter Finals of a major competition for the 2nd successive time (we reached the Quarter Final of the 2028 European Championships under the previous manager). Against the likes of the Dutch though it was always going to be tough for us and in the end, quality shone through as a solitary Jeffrey de Groot goal gave the Dutch the win to end our World Cup dreams :(.

Northern Ireland - Season Review 2029/30

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

World Cup Qualifiers Group 4 : We finished our World Cup qualifying campaign off by winning the group to many people’s surprise which confirmed that we’d be on our way to Italy :).

World Cup : We made it out of the group which was my main objective as we went on to make it all the way to the Quarter Final! A great achievement for us.

Squad : People wrote us off even before we began World Cup qualifying but the players proved them all wrong as we topped the group ahead of Germany, Turkey and Ukraine to qualify for the 2030 World Cup. Again, once the World Cup groups were drawn people wrote us off again…and once again the players proved them all wrong as we went all the way to the play-offs. Paul McKendry made it to the World Cup dream team substitutes bench while Glenn Donnelly finished as our top scorer in the competition with 4 goals in 5 games.

My views of the season… : I couldn’t of asked for any more as firstly we made it to the World Cup and then secondly, performed way beyond what was expected of us in the World Cup.

My aims for next season… : Our attention turns to the European Championship qualifying stage now. With some tough teams in our group, to qualify would be another great step for us.

Former club watch

Long Eaton United : They put their disappointment of their play-off defeat last season to the back of their minds as they finished 3rd and won the play-offs this season to confirm their place in the Championship! A far cry from where I started with them!

Burton Albion : Finished 17th in League One, 6 points above relegation.

Leeds United : Finished 8th in the Premier League.

Nottingham Forest : Finished 6th in the Premier League and qualified for the Europa League :).

Celtic : Won the SPL after surrendering it last season while also winning the Scottish League Cup.

Career Summary

Season   Team               League          		              Position   Achievements
2012/13  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     2nd      FA Vase winners
2013/14  Long Eaton United  Northern Counties East Premier Division     1st   P  League Champions, FA Vase winners
2014/15  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League 1st Division South  1st   P  League Champions
2015/16  Long Eaton United  Northern Premier League                     1st   P  League Champions
2016/17  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				4th      -
2017/18  Long Eaton United  Blue Square North				2nd   P  Playoffs winners
2018/19  Long Eaton United  Blue Square Premier                         - Left for Burton Albion - November 2018
2018/19  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier                         3rd      Joined - November 2018
2019/20  Burton Albion      Blue Square Premier				1st   P  League Champions, FA Trophy winners 
2020/21  Burton Albion      NPower League Two				4th      -
2021/22  Leeds United       NPower League Two  				1st   P  League Champions
2022/23  Leeds United       NPower League One				1st   P  League Champions, JPT winners
2023/24  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				3rd	
2024/25  Nottingham Forest  NPower Championship				2nd   P	
2025/26  Nottingham Forest  Barclays Premier League 			8th	
2026/27  Nottingham Forest  Barclays Premier League			- Left for Celtic - December 2026
2026/27  Celtic             Clydesdale Bank Premier League		1st      League Champions, FA Cup winners, League Cup winners
2027/28  Celtic             Clydesdale Bank Premier League		1st      League Champions, FA Cup winners, League Cup winners
2028/29  Northern Ireland   
2029/30  Northern Ireland   World Cup					Knocked out in Quarter Final

Trophies won

Clydesdale Bank Premier League - 2026/27, 2027/28

Scottish FA Cup - 2026/27, 2027/28

Scottish League Cup - 2026/27, 2027/28

NPower League One - 2022/23

NPower League Two - 2021/22

Blue Square Premier - 2019/2020

Northern Premier League - 2015/16

Northern Premier League 1st Division South - 2014/15

Northern Counties East Premier Division - 2013/14

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - 2022/23

FA Trophy - 2019/20

FA Vase - 2012/13, 2013/14

That's a top effort in the World Cup :thup:

Are you going to carry on with them, or look to get back into club management now?

Thanks AK :thup:. I'll probably stay with Northern Ireland for the European Championships in two years time (if we qualify that is) and maybe look at getting back into club management after that. I might load a few different leagues too. I quite like the idea of managing in a different country now :)

Browsed through the majority of this career and I have to hand it to you, a top career too! Great job with Northern Ireland in the World Cup, I'm interested to see where you go next now! Keep it up!

Cheers bud. Nice to have you reading :)

Great effort in the World Cup.

Thanks Nobby. Can't moan at making the World Cup Quarter Finals with Northern Ireland :D. Although I think we did well to actually get there considering our qualification group with Germany, Ukraine and Turkey.

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Ireland - Season Expectations 2030/31

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

Northern Ireland

European Championships Qualification expectation : Be competitive in the group

Four Associations Tournament expectation : Respectable league position

My views for the season ahead… : The FA want us to be competitive in our European Championships qualification group but I think that after our World Cup performances we’ve got more than a chance of qualifying from our group that consists of Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary and Lichtenstein.

As for the Four Associations Tournament, the FA want a respectable league position but with just the 3 games in the tournament and with those games coming against Scotland, Republic of Ireland and Wales, I think that we stand a good chance of winning it for the first time.

Northern Ireland - August 2030/31

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

Having lost my long serving assistant Colin Cooper in the summer, I offered Steve Chettle (who was previously on my staff at Nottingham Forest) the chance to step into Colin Cooper’s shoes and become my new assistant. That and the announcement of the new world rankings which sees us stay 8th in the world, were all that happened this month as we had no game.

Northern Ireland - September 2030/31

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

10.09.30 - European Championship Qualifiers Group D - Finland v Northern Ireland : 1-4 : We opened our European Championship qualifying group with a trip to Scandinavia as we faced Finland at the Sonera Stadium. Things started badly for us as after just 4 minutes we were 1-0 down after Janne Metiainen broke free from our last defender to slot the ball home. We responded 8 minutes later though as Conall Caldwell pulled us back level with a close range finish to leave it 1-1 as we went in at half time on level terms. A few words of encouragement at half time seemed to do the trick though as 3 quick fire goals from us in the space of 8 early 2nd half minutes effectively ended the game for Finland as we finished them off to win 4-1 and leave us sitting 2nd in the group after the 1st game.

That win also saw us rise a place in the world rankings as we now lie 7th in the world :).

Northern Ireland - October 2030/31

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

11.10.30 - European Championship Qualifiers Group D - Northern Ireland v Czech Republic : 0-0 : The 1st of our 2 qualifying games this month saw us face probably the most difficult team in the group as we welcomed Czech Republic to Windsor Park and with both teams fairly evenly matched it was no real surprise that the game ended 0-0.

15.10.30 - European Championship Qualifiers Group D - Liechtenstein v Northern Ireland : 0-2 : Going into our 2nd qualification in the space of 4 days, we were understandably heavy favourites against a weak Liechtenstein side. Even though we won 2-0 thanks to a Marty O’Connor brace, we could’ve and should’ve won by a bigger margin.

European Championship Qualifiers Group D : The group is already taking shape as many people thought it would with both ourselves and Czech Republic looking the favourites for the 2 qualification spots.

Northern Ireland - November 2030/31

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

20.11.30 - Friendly - Northern Ireland v China : 1-1 : With no European Championship qualification game now until next June, we arranged a friendly against China as they made the long journey to Windsor Park. China probably edged this game though as they had more of the ball and the better chances but we did well to pull back after going a goal down early on to take a very credible draw against an under-rated Chinese side.

Northern Ireland - February 2030/31

NIreland_zpsa5e4fd71.png

12.02.31 - Four Associations Tournament - Northern Ireland v Wales : 2-1 : We started our Four Associations Tournament off this month as we faced the first of 3 rivals, with our first game coming against Wales. Not a big tournament but it’s a chance for a piece of silverware for the nation and thanks to a brace from Glenn Donnelly, it’s given us a good start to trying to achieve that as it leaves us sitting top of the group with 2 games remaining.

Archived