FM13: Leeds United - Marching On Together

NorthernGooner

English leagues - playable

Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain, Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia -all as view only

Then the database is set to custom - large, with

Players from top divisions - Europe

Players with national reputation - South America

This ends up with a database of 49,000 players.

Just remembered one of you posted this set up in the 2012 thread and it seemed a very decent, not too demanding setup.

Sooo....another last "test run" before full release I think.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it can be done but would mean having to play White and Byram in the wide roles in the midfield 4 if it's a flat 4, when they're probably better used in defence. The starting squad has good players for the AML/AMR positions but not really for a AMC, so overall I don't think the starting squad is well suited to a 4-4-1-1 but it could be done with the addition of a few players.

One other point on the scouting, I've found it impossible to get the Board to extend my scouting range beyond Europe so far, and I've also found that even if I know the name of a player and am pretty sure they are in my database, they don't come up in a player search unless they are within my scouting range/knowledge which I'm sure if different to previous years. So signing players from outside your scouting range seems to be a lot harder than it was on previous FMs.

I've not really done much with my coaches/DoF as yet - I'll look to sort that out once I get to the Premier League. :D

Hmm, this is very interesting. This could blow my usual approaches out of the water :(

Coen, would a foreign scout show up in the search? For example, Gilmar Francisco (spelling?)? He'd increase your knowledge of Brazil and it's players.

interested to know why you think jali and bressan are out?

got jali in the championship first window for 900k and bressan comes for similar

Interesting, someone posted a SS in the Request a Screenshot thread of them both, and they had 5-10m valuations. I clearly have got 2+2 and made 5! They must have transferred to new clubs.

My bad, Jali will be my first purchase then!

EDIT: Post 112 on page 2, they must have had immense development to get those valuations in January...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/319544-FM13-Request-a-Screenshot-Thread/page2

Hmm, this is very interesting. This could blow my usual approaches out of the water :(

Coen, would a foreign scout show up in the search? For example, Gilmar Francisco (spelling?)? He'd increase your knowledge of Brazil and it's players.

Thats very worrying, especially as the Scouting range at start is only basic.

Perhaps main game might be different (Hopefully)

Interesting, someone posted a SS in the Request a Screenshot thread of them both, and they had 5-10m valuations. I clearly have got 2+2 and made 5! They must have transferred to new clubs.

My bad, Jali will be my first purchase then!

Must of done Macca, I know that Bressan is defo still at Bate IRL. He bagged a brace in the Champions League the other week.

The 4-3-3 formation looks well suited to the players in the Leeds squad to start with. How well the other settings on it will work in FM13 who knows, but then I've struggled to get my fairly basic 4-4-2 to work on the beta even after signing players who were well suited to playing in it.

I'm finding I have to vary tactical settings every game based on scouting the opposition and trying to identify and counter their strengths and weaknesses to a much larger extent in FM13 than I did in FM12, which is actually more satisfying when it works.

True statement, I used to be really into the tactical side of the game, but to be honest as I've got older, I'd rather have a sensible, non exploit plug & play and accept that I will get results that I'm not happy with.

Not sure Nicko, can try some stuff later, there might well be ways round it but it is something I noticed - e.g. I tried a search for Carlos Fierro when I started my beta game, didnt show up on the search, but when I went to the mexico squad there he was. Also I tried to find Torstein Andersen Aase at the start of my game, didnt show up, but tried again at the start of the 2nd season when I'd had a scout dedicated to Scandinavia for a while and he did then show up.

So it seems to only show up players within your scouting knowledge even if you know the names, which is different to previous years, but possibly needs a bit more testing.

Oh and btw blackdog - that set up with the leagues and database you posted is the one I use, it served me well for a few long term saves in FM12 so am doing the same in FM13, although I think my database size was 54,000 players so I may have added another league as view only. I'll double check later!

Not sure Nicko, can try some stuff later, there might well be ways round it but it is something I noticed - e.g. I tried a search for Carlos Fierro when I started my beta game, didnt show up on the search, but when I went to the mexico squad there he was. Also I tried to find Torstein Andersen Aase at the start of my game, didnt show up, but tried again at the start of the 2nd season when I'd had a scout dedicated to Scandinavia for a while and he did then show up.

So it seems to only show up players within your scouting knowledge even if you know the names, which is different to previous years, but possibly needs a bit more testing.

Thanks Coen. I suspect that you'll be spot on in your suspicion. To be fair, it's a good, realistic development to the game. I'll still sign my S Americans, I just need to work out how to do it come Friday :)

Ah maybe I was doing something wrong on the search filters, which is entirely possible as it was early on and I probably wasnt used to the updated interface etc. :D

Admitedly I didnt try too hard to find new players at the start of my game beta anyway as I wanted to see how well I could do in the 1st season using most of the starting squad with only minor changes, I didnt start my squad overhaul until the 2nd season. But were I to start again I'd be looking to make much bigger changes right from the off based on how things went in that first season!

So in the interests of a bit of further research I just loaded up a new Leeds game on the beta and noticed that:

- the only transfer clause I could sell on at the start of the game was the Howson one, for £377k

- there were still some players I couldnt find on the player search at the very start such as Carlos Fierro & Torstein Andersen Aase, but other players like Bressan, Jali and Quintero did show up. I also tried picking some random obscure players from some lower ranked international squads to see if they showed up when I searched for them by name, and some of them didn't. Based on this I think being able to search for a specific players name does depend on your scouting knowledge to some extent, which I'm sure hasnt been the case in the past.

So in the interests of a bit of further research I just loaded up a new Leeds game on the beta and noticed that:

- the only transfer clause I could sell on at the start of the game was the Howson one, for £377k

- there were still some players I couldnt find on the player search at the very start such as Carlos Fierro & Torstein Andersen Aase, but other players like Bressan, Jali and Quintero did show up. I also tried picking some random obscure players from some lower ranked international squads to see if they showed up when I searched for them by name, and some of them didn't. Based on this I think being able to search for a specific players name does depend on your scouting knowledge to some extent, which I'm sure hasnt been the case in the past.

Have sent you a PM mate

All very strange.

Though as more staff show up using Coen's set up I have a scout with a broadish Euro knowledge. Hottges of Germany. Wonder if thats it?

Noob question time. How do you sell on a transfer clause?

The knowledge of the scouts that you employ would have a bearing I'd expect. Hence my suggestion of employing the likes of a Gilmar Francisco to bring Brazilian players into the game.

Last year I think that you (mouse) left click on the side of the clause to trigger it?

so wish i could get into a save as leeds again like i did on fm10 when we were in league 1. however i like longer saves and for this reason i wont be leeds this season. i still like to read on here to see how your all getting on with the mighty whites. its too easy with leeds in the championship i could have concoured the world withing 6 years. haha!!

If you go to transfers --> clauses and select each one individually, an option will appear to sell it on if it's possible to do so. (Only seems to be the case for the Howson one at the start of the game.)

so wish i could get into a save as leeds again like i did on fm10 when we were in league 1. however i like longer saves and for this reason i wont be leeds this season. i still like to read on here to see how your all getting on with the mighty whites. its too easy with leeds in the championship i could have concoured the world withing 6 years. haha!!

I do actually agree with you to a large extent, I prefer taking a club from as low as possible and it was much more fun having to start in League 1. I'll still start with Leeds, but probably do what I did on FM12 and have a long term save with someone like York City at some point just to really get in to a long term challenge. :D

If you fancy a challenge Matty, load up an old FM07 Leeds game; that will give you something to get your teeth into. No money, poor team, money disappearing, unreasonable Chairman's expectation. Oh, hold on..

I miss League 1 too - in particular that extra season to get the side ready for the Prem challenge.

Finding tactics really inconsistent, started well but starting to go on a bit of a bad run now, not won in about 5. Narrowly lost to QPR in Quarter Finals of Capital One cup which wasn't too bad, only 1-0. But dropped down to 9th in the league after been in the playoffs most of the season, just coming up to the start of December.

has anyone managed to sign bressan/jali on the beta,bressan is availible on a free but goes to fenabache all the time,and they wanted 4.5m for jali on my save,but i did get 3.5m for white,and found asier del horno a good prem left back for free

NorthernGooner - I found the same in the first season, very hard to get any consistency. Things have only really improved for me in the 3rd season when I've improved the squad a lot but also have started spending more time looking at opposition scout reports for every game and tweaking my tactics based on what I think are the oppositions weaknesses, I've not been able to find any tactic which seems to work consistently but at least by spending a bit of time looking at each game I'm starting to get much better results - it's only small things like I'll check the pace of the opposition central defenders, if they're slow I'll sit deep, play on the counter and hit long balls for my fast striker to run on to, if they're fast I'll try to concentrate on getting crosses in for my target man instead, I look to see where most of their goals conceded have come from and focus my passing in those areas, all fairly easy to pick up from the scout reports - that sort of stuff.

tugboat - I didn't try on my game, sorry!

NorthernGooner - I found the same in the first season, very hard to get any consistency. Things have only really improved for me in the 3rd season when I've improved the squad a lot but also have started spending more time looking at opposition scout reports for every game and tweaking my tactics based on what I think are the oppositions weaknesses, I've not been able to find any tactic which seems to work consistently but at least by spending a bit of time looking at each game I'm starting to get much better results - it's only small things like I'll check the pace of the opposition central defenders, if they're slow I'll sit deep, play on the counter and hit long balls for my fast striker to run on to, if they're fast I'll try to concentrate on getting crosses in for my target man instead, I look to see where most of their goals conceded have come from and focus my passing in those areas, all fairly easy to pick up from the scout reports - that sort of stuff.

tugboat - I didn't try on my game, sorry!

I've PM'ed you again mate

I've PM'ed you again mate

I've replied!

Anyway, figured I'd put my current Leeds save on hold until the proper release now, as it seems there will be some updates to the match engine. Currently looking good for automatic promotion in my 3rd season but I want to finish out the season on the proper release version so I can suss out if I need to make any changes to tactics before going up to the Premier League. :D

I'd enjoyed playing as Leeds before especially when they were LI (as you guys said above) because it was more challenging to get in to the Championship and then have a good run from there. The same applied to Norwich and Saints when they were down there. I also liked alot of the players you had then, e.g. Snodgrass, Howson and I think Beckford if I'm not mistaken. Plus Becchio and McCormack of course.

Now, sorry to say (and I'm not a fan of a rival or wishing to cause offence) I cannot get in to Leeds (ignoring the Warnock factor) because a team that contains the likes of Diouf, Michael Brown and even Norris makes me too irritated (sorry, but what a collection). Anyway, I will enjoy reading your updates here because being based in Bahrain I am interested to see how the involvement (or not) of the imminent investment comes across in game. Any of you that have started the full version can comment on that?

Your club has a great tradition and a good amount of passionate fans, and it would be nice to see how it works out IRL after the awful Ridsdale-inspired downturn.

first batch of players to check out:

Name: Darko Brasanac

Nationality: Serbian

Club: Partizan

Position: CM/ WB/M(L)

Value: £190k

Sale Value: £300k

hp4qK.png?1

Name: Nicolas Marazzi

Nationality: Swiss

Club: Lausanne

Position: AMR (but train to ST obviously...)

Value: £95k

Sale Value: £100k

Work Permit Needed?: no

HgfAr.png?1

Name: Damien Boudjemaa

Nationality: French

Club: Petrolul

Position: AMC

Value: £8k (!!!!)

Sale Value: Im going to guess not too much... but he has just moved so might take some convincing

E7jfu.png?1

Name: Urko Vera

Nationality: Spanish

Club: Ponferradina

Position: ST

Value: £575k

Sale Value: £1million or so i guess... only just found him.. just moved though..

3ggsn.png?1

Good to see the thread up and running once again. And nice couple of opening posts made a nice read.

Game has just this minute finished downloading on steam and just about to set the game up with all the usual leagues running. Definately going to attempt to get that swiss striker you linked welshace would make great competition for Becchio in a 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1 formation i plan on playing. Look forward to some of the gems you guys find and hope at some point i can input my own, didnt have much luck on the demo though so not promising anything.

Only found one player as yet and i snapped him up on a 6 month loan to trial him out paying nothing p/m and 100% wages:

Name: Loret Sadiku

Nationality: Sweedish

Club: Helsingborg

Position: CB/DM/MC

Value: 190k

Sale Value: Not sure

sadiku2.png

Good utility player can play DC/DM/MC and good stats for a 20 year old imo.

Alright lads, hope you're all getting stuck in to those Leeds saves!

I'm probably going to continue with my beta save for now (into my 3rd season and look like we'll go up as Champions this time. Rather than post specific players thought it might be worth just posting my entire squad:

LeedsUnited_SquadPlayers-1.jpg

Most of my signings were either free or cost less than £1m, the only one who wasnt was Miiko Albornoz who cost £2.5m. Definite scandinavian look to the squad cos that's where I've found most of the bargains. :D

Kicking off a leeds save, being an Aussie i became a fan when dukes and kewell were there.

1st shoping window

Hateley 900k gonna turn into a midfield playmaker

Hiljemark 1.4

Adryan 875k

Pohjanpalo 130k

M Ryan 475k My aussie hope and back up GK. had him become pretty good on other saves

Playing a direct 4-5-1 with Becchio up front. Has 6 in 5 so far

Sold just the usual targets

Do you get a bit more shopping money in the next transfer window?

Some nice signings there Glaps don't know how you got that much though, so far I have sold Brown and Connolly, and also sold the Howson clause, also trying to get rid of a few more, have you managed to get rid of Somma and Nunez? The only signing I have brought in so far is Chris Herd, hard midfield worker, just what is needed to replace Brown. Also Paddy Kenny is now injured for 3 months and looking to sell Rachubka, reccommended signings for GK?

Sold the clause for Howson, extra 377k, my dof got taken by someone 275k comp. I asked the board for more revenue from sales and got it upto 95%

Think my budget got upto bout 1.5m and did alot of deals say 100-200k down the rest 48mths.

Adryan was all 48mths cause of his release clause they accepted it

Nunez still here, even for free no one wanted him. Somma i only got 200k but he was better off going

Alex Manniger is a free GK, no bad either

Matty Ryan young Aus GK but will cost 450-500k 1st window or free next season, chance to be a good premier GK with the right training

Was gonna loan Herd to and Guitetti from Man City but the loan payments take huge chunks ouf of yr budget

Yet another game, yet another Leeds save...

As usual I kick started a new game with a Leeds save. I am to the closing of the transfer window and this is what I have done so far.

Sold the usual suspects: Connolly (250k), Brown (140k), Rachubka (190k), Somma (200k), Bromby (free), Kisnorbo (250k) and Pugh (100% loan), Wasn't able to get rid of Nunez unfortunately

Brought in: Birkir Már Sævarsson (28k), Skacel (free), Boudjemaa (100k), Vanden Borre (free), Jorge Teixeira (1,4M), Pohjanpalo (100k), Batshuayi (loan)

Lost in the Capital Cup first round, but have gone now 4 games into the season without losing a game, 1 draw and 3 wins and sitting on top of the league.

Playing 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 tactics

yeah I am finding it tough going as well - 2 wins 2 draws and 6 losses in first 10 games. creating chances OK but having probs taking them and comedy defending leaking stupid goals. trying to play a 442 as I think the squad suits it - bought in shane ferguson from newcastle to fill the LM spot and he has been pretty good. other than that just flogged off the usual muppets from the reserves (nunez, connolly, gray etc) but fidning it hard to attract players. am having same problems as mentioned by others re: austin and brown just hacking away from distance even with long shots on rarely. can't figure out the best way to use diouf - rm - winger? amr - adv playmaker? I get one good game and two rubbish ones out of him and him and brown hate my team talks no matter what I say they both want to punch me i think.

Funny bates related story - still getting my head around the DoF role and accidentally left it up to Bates to hire one after evil overlord gwyn williams leaves. In true Bates penny pinching style he hires what appears to be a wineo from the street corner who has no attribute at all in double figures. cheers ken.

yeah I am finding it tough going as well - 2 wins 2 draws and 6 losses in first 10 games. creating chances OK but having probs taking them and comedy defending leaking stupid goals. trying to play a 442 as I think the squad suits it - bought in shane ferguson from newcastle to fill the LM spot and he has been pretty good. other than that just flogged off the usual muppets from the reserves (nunez, connolly, gray etc) but fidning it hard to attract players. am having same problems as mentioned by others re: austin and brown just hacking away from distance even with long shots on rarely. can't figure out the best way to use diouf - rm - winger? amr - adv playmaker? I get one good game and two rubbish ones out of him and him and brown hate my team talks no matter what I say they both want to punch me i think.

Funny bates related story - still getting my head around the DoF role and accidentally left it up to Bates to hire one after evil overlord gwyn williams leaves. In true Bates penny pinching style he hires what appears to be a wineo from the street corner who has no attribute at all in double figures. cheers ken.

Playing him MR with Green in a 442- but as you say very inconsistent

Some nice signings there Glaps don't know how you got that much though, so far I have sold Brown and Connolly, and also sold the Howson clause, also trying to get rid of a few more, have you managed to get rid of Somma and Nunez? The only signing I have brought in so far is Chris Herd, hard midfield worker, just what is needed to replace Brown. Also Paddy Kenny is now injured for 3 months and looking to sell Rachubka, reccommended signings for GK?

If you offer Somma out for 500k you usually get an offer of 375k most of it is in installments though but cash for him all the same. Nunez's wage seems to put the lower league clubs who are interested in him off, might be the case of having to wait for his contract to expire but ill try offer him out for next to nothing in january.

As has been said previously it's tough this year. However, and after starting up numerous times to experiment, I've pulled a good side together. To do so I had to 'sacrifice' Aiden White who I got serious money for (just under double his value at £3.7M) and sold the usual suspects. The White transfer fee allowed me to adjust the wage/transfer budget in order to make the following signings:

Anthony Vanden Borre (free), very hard to sign but a very large loyalty bonus can do the trick.

Wescley, DC £90K Pronte Preta.

Juan Manuel Torres, DMC Metalist £1.5M.

Madson AML/R/C £700k Santos (can also be signed on a free for 1.1.13).

Adriano Pimenta AML/C £300k (can also be signed on a free for 1.1.13).

Torstein Andersen Aase, ST £5K.

Adryan AMC (£875K over 48).

Carlos Fierro ST on a 12 month loan (practically impossible to sign for a fee).

Joining on frees on 1.1.13:

Ignacio Canuto DC Figueirense.

Julio Cesar versatile left sided sided Gremio. Looks quality.

Tiago GK Vasco.

I think I've added that bit of quality that was required but have a heavy wage budget at £210K/week. I'd like a better DL than Drury/Peltier but I've run out of wage budget to sign either Jonas Elmer, Reynald Lemaitre or Andreas Ibertsberger who are all available on frees but want good money. If I can shift Nunez I might be able to add one of them. I'd also like a better back up GK and again, whilst the likes of Sebastien Viera or George Forsyth are available at a decent price, I haven't got the wage budget. Madson in particular is highly recommended. I used the player set up recommended by Coen so if you are using this too these players should be in your game.

EDIT

Just to add, I picked up Lemaitre at DL. Overall it's a good side, but the lack of the likes of a Quintero this year (you can get him, he'll get a w/p but he'll cost £3-£4M!) means that I expect goals will be at a premium. So, top six but I don't see us running away with the League.

Archived