[FM13]40 Years of Management and I End Up In Bloody Crewe

AcidBurn

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, Flamengo - I had a great few seasons with them back on FM11 with a best of a newgen striker called Chiquinho... Great FMemories :cool:

Having said that, good to see you got the move you wanted to the MLS. best of luck in Philly!

Thanks, I just couldn't get into it being such a big side. Hopefully over this save I can build a few teams up before leaving.

Good luck in the States!

Sad to see Chapecoense go down as soon as you left; I would have a expected a more slower demise than that :(

Cheers, it is sad to see them get relegated so quickly. Although they have made a cracking start to life in the 2nd Division and I think they'll be back up next season.

Best of luck at Philadelphia :thup:

Thanks, just having to remind myself of all the rules!

I think it's worth mentioning that my updates will slow down now due to several real life things.

mls_1_0.jpeg

StartingLeague.jpg

The club are actually in a reasonably good position as long as we can get a couple of wins from the games in hand. Still I think sacking the previous manager when you're in this position shows that Uncle Yury the Russian tycoon might not be the most patient of managers. The top three from each conference go straight into the play-off's whilst the teams that finish 3rd and 4th place each other in a one off match to see who gets the final play-off place. The leagues are fairly even mainly due to teams not being able to overspend and buy success. Montreal are obviously the strongest side this season they are still a head by some distance although New England do have a couple of games in hand. Montreal seem to score a hell of a lot more than any other side around. I expect there is decent competition from several sides for top place in both conferences, surprisingly there are five clubs listed as rich San Jose, Los Angeles, Montreal, Seattle and ourselves. This will only really help with their facilities and the ability to offer big contracts to any designated players.

Best Players At Club

Michael Alexander

Has the most potential from any youngsters at Philly by quite some way should be a decent player for the MLS and is about on par with many other youngsters at various clubs.

Viana

A key player in midfield, lacks in some areas but that's to be expected from non-designated players in the MLS. He performs well enough and that's what really matters.

Remo Edjogo-Owono

Another top player and Viana's midfield partner obviously he's the best of the two, very good all round maybe a bit slow but pace is not needed to much for how I will play him.

Juan Carlos Vasquez

This lad gets a lot of interest from other clubs within the MLS but I want to keep hold of him and see what he can do, I think if used right he could be a key player for the side.

Dan Vaughn

No-nonsense midifelder as the old cliche says. Should be very good at protecting the back four.

Carmine Velastegul

Not the strongest mentally but probably the main defender for the side. Think he proves this area might need some work.

Players In

Mamute

Young and full of potential I parted with £500,000 of our allocated funds which was nearly all of it to bring him in. Has strengths as a poacher and not much else, he was signed from Chapecoense and I brought him through when I was there at 15 years old but at the time he wasn't old enough to start and I ended up loaning him out.

Luis Felipe

I felt the club was short of any quality up front so along with Mamute I also signed former Gremio striker Luis Felipe. He has some great attributes in some areas and is a decent finisher for this level, hopefully his partnership with Mamute can fire us into the play-off's.

Jack Butland

The club really needed a new GK, he might be getting on a bit but he's experienced having played over 400 games and also very consistent, he hasn't averaged below a 7 since the 2018/19 season.

MLS Regular Season

LeagueFinish.jpg

Results1st.jpg

ResultsEnd.jpg

A bit inconsistent as you can see from DWLWLWDWLDWLDLWD. However despite this we managed to sneak into the wildcard place and will face DC United next for a place in the proper play-off's, because we finished higher we have home advantage so I expect us to go into the play-off's. Worth noting we can beat anyone on our day as proved in the spanking of league leaders Montreal in their own back yard but we can also lose to anyone as well. Luis Felipe is scoring quite a few goals and Mamute has dried up in terms of goals a bit lately but still offers more than just scoring.

Nothing like raiding an old club for some youthful talent. :)

Looks like a decent if slightly inconsistent start. Still, you should be raring to go next year for your first full season in charge :thup:

It'll be important over the next season of so to wait and get the right DP's, two of ours are retiring so hopefully some contracts somewhere are running out and I can bag a decent player!

Would have stayed in Brazil personally but still a good move!

Cheers, you'd have stayed at Flamengo? I started to get annoyed at the 70 games a season State Championships get boring. Saying that I still kept a save from before leaving Chapecoense so I can go back at some point.

mls_1_0.jpeg

Play-offs.jpg

The play-off's went really well but ultimately ended in disappointment, we started off by winning the Wild Card match in style with a 4-3 win over D.C. United it looks less comfortable than it was as they got their third goal in the 80th minute. Next up was Montreal who we dismantled at home 3-0 and we did well away from home as the match was 1-1 until the 88th when they scored then they bagged another in the 90th, it was a nerve racking last few minutes but our one early goal was key for the victory. After a 1-1 draw with Houston at home I thought we'd struggle in the away leg but I was wrong they went 1-0 up and we didn't look like scoring at all in the first half. I really thought we'd lose or it'd go the distance as a draw, however new signings Mamute and Luis Felipe combined to grab all three goals between them and send us into the final.

The MLS is the final of the play-off's and decides the overall winner of the league. Strange to see two teams who finished so low competing to be crowned the MLS champions but that's the way the league works. We couldn't win the match though and it was one we really should have won easily. It would have been a fantastic start to my career as Philly manager but it wasn't to be.

Best 11

Best11.jpg

FansPlayeroftheYear.jpg

NewcomeroftheYear.jpg

Viana was crowned the Fans Player of the Year must have been down to the number of games played as I expected Luis Felipe to grab the award. He did win the MLS Newcomer of the Year award though and was a lot better average rating wise than the other newcomers this season. I don't understand how Leggett got the nod up front ahead of Mamute based on goals and average ratings. The defence was okay but maybe the fullbacks could do with playing better, most if not all the players will be given another chance for my first full season in charge next season.

Short stint at Flamengo, shame you lost the title to your rivals but still a strong season. I can see why that many games a season would be boring but I'm still shocked you went to the MLS! Surely there were more competitive jobs around after nearly winning the Brazilian league? Nevertheless nicely done to come so close to the US title, albeit you're starting to develop a habit of falling just short of league titles which I'm sure you don't want!

Short stint at Flamengo, shame you lost the title to your rivals but still a strong season. I can see why that many games a season would be boring but I'm still shocked you went to the MLS! Surely there were more competitive jobs around after nearly winning the Brazilian league? Nevertheless nicely done to come so close to the US title, albeit you're starting to develop a habit of falling just short of league titles which I'm sure you don't want!

I could have gone to a much bigger club or league but MLS appealed to me, I'm hoping to take on jobs that can be a project rather than an already big side if that makes sense. For some reason I just can't win in finals the play-off one here, three Brazilian cup finals in a row and state finals. Hopefully I can break that habit soon! Eventually I want to manage an English club in league one or two and take them to the top.

mls_1_0.jpeg

Players Out

TransfersOut.jpg

So several players were released on free transfers Angel Garcia was traded to Los Angeles for their first round draft pick. Adrian Martin was shipped out to Houston for £325,000 allocated funds and one permanent international player slot which means we can have an additional foreign player in the squad for next season. Matthew Ihekoronye was traded to Colombus for £250,000 allocated funds, their first round draft pick and a permanent international player slot.

30 years old but a very good full back for us and I'm sure he'll turn out to be an excellent signing. Not the best going forward but I'm not in Brazil any more so the need for attacking wing backs isn't as high as it was.

Not that good but needed to add to the Americans we need in the squad due to the foreign player restrictions, signed through the draft as all the decent players were snapped up straight away.

Another striker as we are a bit thin on the ground up top if Mamute or Luis Felipe are injured, plus I fancy going 4-3-3 at some point this season with three central attackers. He has some very good attributes that could make him a successful signing.

We needed another fullback and Mofokeng is pretty good physically and reliable defensively.

Yet another fullback and a very good one rated highly by the coaches Nana should become a key player for us especially with his ability to play in both fullback positions.

He's old but should still be able to finish if chances are created for him. He will most likely be backup to Mamute and Luis Felipe.

MLS Regular Season

10GamesTable.jpg

10GamesResults.jpg

We're sitting 3rd in our conference with three games in hand so things are looking reasonably good. We started the season okay but were conceding a lot of goals hopefully the 4-1 loss against San Jose was just a blip and the defence has improved a lot since switching to a 4-5-1 with Leggett and Vasquez playing very well on the wings and Felipe and Mamute rotating as the lone striker. I think the main thing is to get into the play-off's so a top three finish is what I'll be aiming for but we should be good enough to challenge for the top spot.

MLS Regular Season

mls_1_0.jpeg

20Matches.jpg

20Results.jpg

Not good at all recently a couple of great wins over New England and Montreal but poor results losing to D.C. United at home and failing to score in quite a few matches. Not sure what's wrong with us we just seem extremely inconsistent but it's not all doom and gloom because we are in 3rd two points off the leaders who we smashed at their own ground and we have 4 games in hand over the teams around us. If we can find some consistency over the next 14 matches there's no reason we can't top the league. Is it my or are there too many goals?

The New Designated Player

Designated.jpg

There were a lot of big teams sniffing round Tazaki like AC Milan, Juventus and Sevilla. As his contract ran down a few more clubs started to show an interest but I went in and offered big money straight away, basically I've been keeping a real close eye on the players whose contract are running out over the next year or so and this guy was the only one worth splashing big money on. When he arrives he'll be earning more than my entire first team put together. His attributes are immense for the MLS and I'm hoping his pace will be lethal as either a winger, inside forward or striker.

On dodgier form now but the sides around you seem to have lost even more points so it's alright. That Japanese forward is insane for the MLS, he should be playing at a top international club really, fantastic signing.

MLS Regular Season

mls_1_0.jpeg

EndTable.jpg

Last14.jpg

SupportersShield.jpg

Our form picked up pretty well over the last 14 matches the defence could maybe do with being a bit better but our goal scoring ability saw to it that it didn't matter too much. The only bad results were the home loss against New England and another home loss against Los Angeles. I also hated the 2-2 draws against Houston and Columbus as in both these games we were 2-0 up and really shouldn't blow a lead like that. There were a lot of positives beating Columbus 7-1 away from home as good as was scoring three goals quite regularly. This good form also meant that we qualified for next seasons North American Champions League due to having the best record in the MLS, we were awarded with the supporters shield for doing this, I'm not sure if that's a real trophy or not but I'm guessing not as it doesn't show up on my manager history.

StadiumIncrease.jpg

The stadium now holds 40,686 fans I'm not sure how much of it we will fill for normal MLS games but Uncle Yury didn't mind spending a lot of cash on that and on improving the clubs training and youth facilities.

Good grief, he must be the best player in the MLS.

Overall he probably is but there are some players who have better mental attributes than he does.

A brilliant find. He should terrify those shoddy MLS defences!

Hopefully he can I'm not sure if he'll be up front or on the wing, Mamute is scoring regularly so he might have to rotate up front with him but when he's not up front he'll be on the wings.

The stadium now holds 40,686 fans I'm not sure how much of it we will fill for normal MLS games but Uncle Yury didn't mind spending a lot of cash on that and on improving the clubs training and youth facilities.[/Quote]

Might as well! Not much you can spend the cash on, so it's a good way of improving the side whilst he's still around.

MLS Play-off's

mls_1_0.jpeg

Play-offResults.jpg

Not really sure what happened here, we just about got past Montreal and then got hammered against New England despite the game being slightly in our favour stats wise. Every shot they had on target flew in I was confident we could win at home but turning around such a big score would be near impossible we won 3-1 but went crashing out. The only upside is we already qualified for the North American Champions League but I would have liked to actually win a proper trophy with Philadelphia but it wasn't to be.

US Cup

USCup.jpg

I think the cup could always be like this we breezed past the lower league side Kansas City Brass but got taken apart by New York. Since I've arrived at Philly we have relied on foreign players a lot and have 13 in our squad the problem with this is that you can only name 5 foreigners in the match squad. Unless I can bring in some decent American players I think there could be more of the same for a few seasons yet.

North American Champions League

NACL.jpg

There are only three sides in each NACL group and we faced Aguila from El Salvador and T&TEC from Trinidad and Tobago. It was relatively simple we went mad against T&TEC with a 10-0 win but only just got past Aguila at home. The NACL runs through two MLS seasons so it'll finish in the first few months of 2030. We have drawn last seasons winners Mexican side Cruz Azul so it won't be easy.

North American Champions League

Best11.jpg

All positions have been really good this season, Mamute has done wonders as the lone striker with 19 goals and 11 assists but his strike partner from last season Luis Felipe will be sold in the window because he just couldn't take the chances he was given and only score 1 in 4. Leggett and Vasquez were both great on the wings constantly making life difficult for the opposition. I'm not sure where the best 11 has got that Mike Smith score 10 in 14 because his history says 5 in 5. Kind of hard to know where to improve but I think there will be a lot of changes due to contracts running out and the opportunity to sign some decent hopefully American players.

I think this formation is great for the MLS because a lot of AI sides seem to play 3-5-2 with a flat midfield 5. This means our wingers and fullbacks can overrun the AI flanks with attacking CM's encouraged to get forward at all times the AI doesn't know how to stop them. Obviously it won't work all the time but looks very good and if I can tweak it slightly over the next few months I think we could end up doing very well.

Unfortunate against New England. :(
Painful defeat against New England :(

I know, I'm not sure what happened we didn't play that poorly all season then when we needed to get a draw or even only lose by a single we go get beat 4-0.

Unlucky against New England but good luck against Cruz Azul it will be a tough one the Mexican sides are always good

Cheers, not sure how or why we lost by so many in the first leg, just one of those days. Mexican sides are hard work I'm not sure any sides other than Mexican or American ever qualify from the group stages.

Philadelphia Stadium?

They already leave PPL Park?

A new one was built in 2021, the board have just agreed to another expansion taking the capacity to over 46,000.

Congrats on a great season, shame you lost to New England but it'll be good to see you in the Champions League next season. You certainly have the squad for it.

Thanks, New England game was annoying. We have a decent front three good enough that we should challenge for the Champions League every time we are in it.

I'm a bit confused it says "regular season" before the screenie with the Montreal and New England games, I'm going to guess that's a mistake and you meant that's the final playoffs?

Very well done on winning the regular season which means your side is pretty much the most consistent now, but I think you'd swap that for a better performance afterwards! Looking good on the NACL however even if the opposition wasn't much to talk about.

Archived