Group B decider: Denmark v Germany/Portugal v Netherlands

boots

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:cool:

Good to see Ronaldo finally stepping up, just when we needed the most.

Good game. Pity for us.

Those first 5 minutes got me worried, but I think that after that bad start we controlled the game. We could've easily scored another 3/4 goals.

Don't know what the dutch manager was thinking. Playing that XI against a team that is more confortable playing counter attack...

It was a bit more than 5 minutes. I'd say we looked like scoring a bunch for about 20 minutes. After that we were out of steam, the Portuguese defense found their men and the Portuguese midfield and attack got far more of the ball, pushing the Dutch team back sufficiently to murder our attacking intentions.

He was thinking we needed two goals more than Portugal. Would you have chosen to play a defensive strategy? If so, we could have gotten a draw. Of course Portugal are good at counter attack, but when you have no choice, you have no choice.

Were there no better CB's and LB though?

No. Just no. These were the best defenders all of Holland have to offer at the moment. Looks like we need a new generation to grow up.

With the exception of LB, there's Pieters (injured) and some coming bloke at Vitesse (bweerk :p), not yet good enough.

Should've played that line-up against Germany, tbh. Might've got ripped to shreds but might've got something out of it as well.

Yep. And certainly against Denmark. That loss doomed us, immediately.

• SI Staff
No. Just no. These were the best defenders all of Holland have to offer at the moment. Looks like we need a new generation to grow up.

With the exception of LB, there's Pieters (injured) and some coming bloke at Vitesse (bweerk :p), not yet good enough.

I don't understand why Vlaar got picked over Heitinga - but there weren't any other options. Willems at DL is also the best option. He wasn't good, but to be fair - he wasn't too horrible.

Normally yes, Erik Pieters - which doesn't make one overly happy either - but he's reasonably stable in his defensive efforts.

I don't understand why Vlaar got picked over Heitinga - but there weren't any other options.

We have no better options, it's true, but what I don't understand is why Heitinga was dropped and not Mathijsen. Imo Mathijsen was a lot worse against Germany than Heitinga, even if the latter still was pretty awful himself.

I would like to have seen both Portugal and the Netherlands go out after what was one of the biggest displays of diving like a fairy I've seen in a long time.

Amazing, you've missed Chelseas CL campaign?

There's always someone who saw an entirely different match, isn't there? :D

What does Chelsea have to do with anything, really?

Every few minutes during the match a player from one team or other would throw themselves to the floor. My favourite moment being where a Portuguese player brushed a Dutch player only to have them go flying across the pitch into Cristiano Ronaldo, who was half way through the motions of going down himself until he just seemed to lose the heart to finish it off.

So Bendtner's been fined £80,000 and banned for one match for a goal celebration, really? I didn't see it but it can't have been that bad???

He lowered his pants and his knickers had Paddy Power written on the waistband. Think UEFA called it 'stealth marketing' or something like that.

So Bendtner's been fined £80,000 and banned for one match for a goal celebration, really? I didn't see it but it can't have been that bad???
Advertising "an unauthorised sponsor" around the waistband of his pants. £80K for that though? Whole FA's have been fined less.

He lowered his pants and his knickers had Paddy Power written on the waistband. Think UEFA called it 'stealth marketing' or something like that.

How bizarre :D

Still over the top with the fine but he shouldn't have been that stupid.

Good game. Pity for us.

It was a bit more than 5 minutes. I'd say we looked like scoring a bunch for about 20 minutes. After that we were out of steam, the Portuguese defense found their men and the Portuguese midfield and attack got far more of the ball, pushing the Dutch team back sufficiently to murder our attacking intentions.

He was thinking we needed two goals more than Portugal. Would you have chosen to play a defensive strategy? If so, we could have gotten a draw. Of course Portugal are good at counter attack, but when you have no choice, you have no choice.

Well yeah, it was more than 5m. What I wanted to say is, that after a bad start (10-20m), the players calmed down and I felt that sooner or later we would score.

Yes, you needed to score, but I don't think that was the right approach from the start. When I saw your midfield, I honestly thought we wouldn't lose. De Jong vs Moutinho-Meireles-Veloso... You were never going to win the midfield. And by losing that battle, you were completely exposed to our counter attacks (our biggest threat). And you became even more exposed when you took the left back. Which I think was a sign that your manager didn't know what else to do.

I would've started with another ball winning midfielder (Schaars, Strootman(?)...) and Afellay insted of Huntelaar. Then at HT, if needed, play like you started. I think it would've been more effective in the 2nd half with our midfield showing signs of fatigue (particularly Meirleles).

If, big if, if we had scored a second we could have pulled back a little I suppose. This was a gung ho attacking formation, to deal the KO right in the first round. Gambled and lost, but there was little choice.

Affelay... are you joking? He isn't even remotely effective when fit, let alone after half a season in the medical office.

Can someone please clear up this confusion.

Yesterday, the commentators kept saying, if Germany lost and Portugal won, then Portugal and Denmark would have gone through. I didn't understand that, because that would have put all 3 teams on 6 points, and when it came to the head to head, Germany would have had a better head to head result against Portugal, so, in theory, how could they have gone out?

Yesterday, the commentators kept saying, if Germany lost and Portugal won, then Portugal and Denmark would have gone through. I didn't understand that, because that would have put all 3 teams on 6 points, and when it came to the head to head, Germany would have had a better head to head result against Portugal, so, in theory, how could they have gone out?

But Denmark would have a better head to head result against Germany.

The easiest way to work it out is to ignore any matches involving Netherlands and then create a league table.

Based on a 1-0 Denmark win, it would look like this (I think):

w  d  l  pts  f  a  gd
Portugal  1  0  1   3   3  3  0
Denmark   1  0  1   3   3  3  0
Germany   1  0  1   3   1  1  0

I think that would put Portugal top on their coefficient and Germany out on goals scored.

But Denmark would have a better head to head result against Germany.

The easiest way to work it out is to ignore any matches involving Netherlands and then create a league table.

Based on a 1-0 Denmark win, it would look like this (I think):

w  d  l  pts  f  a  gd
Portugal  1  0  1   3   3  3  0
Denmark   1  0  1   3   3  3  0
Germany   1  0  1   3   1  1  0

I think that would put Portugal top on their coefficient and Germany out on goals scored.

Germany out on the account of having scoed fewest goals. Hence, a 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc., win for Denmark would've seen both through regardless of the size of Portugal's win.

Edit: What you said :D

Since there are 3 teams on 6 points, head to head doesnt count anymore, and its on goal difference in the matches between those 3 teams (the matches against holland would have been ignored).

If, big if, if we had scored a second we could have pulled back a little I suppose. This was a gung ho attacking formation, to deal the KO right in the first round. Gambled and lost, but there was little choice.

I understand that, but the chances of such strategy working against us were too low.

Affelay... are you joking? He isn't even remotely effective when fit, let alone after half a season in the medical office.

Affelay/Kuyt/Narsingh... Someone to play on the wings.

Archived