Dela-Where?: Attempting to Bring a Small State to the Top Tier

cswalk08

Dover Mustangs August 2011

Almost There......

screenshot20120421at111.png

New England Premier League

screenshot20120426at102.png

screenshot20120426at101.png

John Fishbaugher has returned and things are beginning to turn around! We have 2 games left and need to grab 2 points from those games to garuntee to promotion. I believe we are going to do it even if we are facing two of the 3 teams right below us, Canton and Rhode Island.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dover Mustangs October 2011

Moving On Up!

screenshot20120427at129.png

screenshot20120427at129.png

We did it! We we were able put everything together right when we needed to. It's very satisfying to go up in our first year after dealing with the uncontrollable loss of key players mid season.

I'm very excited for the next season. I will probably post a full season review later today.

Dover Mustangs 2011 Review

Results | League Table | Most Valuable Player | Golden Boot | Defender of the Year | Goalkeeper of the Year | A great year where started, and finished on top of the table never losing our top place. Some shaky times towards the end but the team rallied together when it counted. We swept all the major awards for the league and have been promoted to the Colonial Amateur League.

North American Open Cup

Results | Final | A fantastic cup run that had up upsetting teams as high as the 3rd tier, and losing to a very strong Seattle side that went on to win the competition is nothing to be ashamed of

North America Amateur Cup

Results | Final | A decent run and knocked out in stoppage time on a questionable PK call. Definitely still not bitter about it, nope, definite do not remember the referee's name (Eric Bell) so I can't say order a player to run into him next game of mine he refs.

United States Open Cup

Results | Final | Unlucky draw, Oduro ran all over us, hopefully we'll be able to make a better run this year.

Other Competitions

MLS | Club World Championship: Final | NEP Reserve League | NEPL Academy Division | Our reserves were leading the league until the last few weeks, but unfortunately will be remaining in the NEPRL for another year. THe Academy team was average hopefully they step up their game this year. Unfortunately the Pink Cows of New Jersey (otherwise known as NYRB) took home their first significant silverware in 17 years of existence, winning the MLS Cup, my it sit alone of the shelves of an otherwise empty trophy case forever. As for the CWC, I can't explain it, at a complete loss for words, this is the 1st year of the save, things like this shouldn't happen!

Fan Awards

Fan's Best XI | Fan's Player of the Year | That XI was a great one and I'll always wonder what the season would've been like if we hadn't of lost those players, and Fishbaugher gets another deserved award.

screenshot20120426at446.png

Yes, because I had a choice in the matter :(

They'll whinge about that for ages. :rolleyes:

Congrats on promotion. I don't think I've crossed the Delaware River (at ground level). I know I've paid to get out of NJ back to into PA but I've never been out the other side.

Jolanthustrel-They fans to seems to continuously complain. Yes, Delaware is an exclusive place thus the cover charge, can you blame us though? I mean we border New Jersey gotta attempt to keep the state clear of that.

iHeadHuntax-Thanks! The future is looking up (except my Youth intake, they were all crap).

B.W.G-Thanks, and you called it! I can finally sign players to contracts they can't ignore!

screenshot20120430at237.png

Also saw this funny tidbit:

screenshot20120427at123.png

Dover Mustangs 2012 Season Preview

Notable Offseason Events

The Club turned Semi-Professional.

I can't seem to sign ANYONE

I applied for the U23 positions for USA, Canada, Brazil, Spain, and England and got rejected from all of them (Brazil laughed at me :( ).

The person who predicts my matches should be fired, he predicted us to lose almost every game last season :lol:

Board Expectations:

Colonial Amateur League: Avoid Relegation (Media Prediction 19th)

North American Open Cup: 2nd Qualifying Round

United States Open Cup: Learn From the Experience

North American Amateur Cup: Second Round

Colonial Cup: Learn from the experience

My Expectations:

Colonial Amateur League: Top half finish

North American Open Cup: 1st Round

United States Open Cup: Have Fun

North American Amateur Cup: Kill Eric Bell

Colonial Cup: Have fun

Colonial Amateur League

screenshot20120429at112.png

Here is the teams in the league for reference, and the league splits after the 1st 19 games (for real this time).

Dover Mustangs Preseason Friendlies 2012

Season 2: Return of the Fishbaugher

Friedlies

screenshot20120501at120.png

We appear to be a slightly weaker team than last year with a less successful preseason but we still had some fantastic results against high tier opposition, and are coming on strong just in time for the regular season. Favorite moment: I put on my backup keeper (Danny Johnson) in right midfield to replace an injured player to amuse myself....and he scored.

Transfers

screenshot20120430at159.png

Due to the 2 foreign player limit I had let Tiago go so I could sign Marin who is a 19 year old striker of equivalent level to Estuardo Sanchez. We'll see if the move turns out to be a smart one. In fantastic news, Fenner, Bolatti, Leslie, Giezen, Benjamin, and Fishbaugher all signed with me on part time contracts. Fishbaugher turned down offers from 6 other clubs to accept. This greatly appreciated loyalty from my big players will hopefully allow us to have a good season. Garcia and May are both very young prospects who I hope to develop into high level players (my youth team and intake is pitiful so I sought out good youth from other sources). I having a very hard time getting anybody to be interested in signing with the team though. I have attempted to signed probably 20-30 players from other clubs but none of them are interested in contract negotiation with me even though I'm willing to pay them more then they are currently making. Tips on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

cerud- Thank you! Having signed players has made the game so much less stressful. Now to trap them into (er I mean reward them with!) longer contracts! Muahahaha.

PaulHartman71- Thanks! I think AVB took the sacking from Chelsea a bit hard. He's doing pretty good in Philadelphia they are slightly better this year.

B.W.G- Thanks! I'm not worried I beat a few of these teams in cups last year.

rancer890-I think you're right (and it has nothing to due with the fact I'm currently in mid-june :lol:), but I still think the guy who runs the local paper should be fired.

As I said above I'm actually in Mid-June of the season because I'm coming into the last two weeks of college and this is how I'm procrastinating. Would you, as the readers, prefer one big update at the end of june, a March/April and a May/June, or one for each month?

cswalk08, I'm wondering how big regionally your league is now. I think you had said initially when you started, you were around the New England area? Now that you've moved up a few leagues, how big is it. How many states are involved? I assume it's only an American league, no Canadian cities.

ralzur-Thanks! Unfortunately I'm in the 7th tier but will hopefully be moving up this year too.

cerud-I've only moved up one league so far. The NEPL seems to be pasically from Ohio east and Virginia north, while the CAL has a bit wider of a range including some Canadian teams. Below are all the teams originally in these leagues and their locations. There are 3 colonial leagues who teams move within each other when they have the choice.

New England Premier League:

Dover Mustangs-Dover, DE

Youngstown Johnnys- Youngstown, OH

Haverhill Revolution-Haverhill, MA

Canton Invaders-Canton, OH

New Bedford Whalers-New Bedford, MA

Rhode Island Reds-Providence, RI

Elm City SC-New Haven, CT

Utica Zmajevi-Utica, NY

Hudson Valley United-Poughkeepsie, NY

Queens City-Queens, NY

Manchester Mavericks-Manchester, NH

Morgantown Bobcats-Morgantown, WV

Electric City United-Scranton, PA

Barnstable Americans-Barnstable, MA

Parlor City-Binghampton, NY

Altoona Railroaders-Altoona, PA

Colonial Amateur League:

McLean-Mclean, VA

Select de Trois-Rivieres-Trois Rivieres, QC

Oakwood SC-Gastonberry, CT

PA Classics-Manheim, PA

Bridgeport International-Bridgeport, CT

Seacoast United-Hampton, NH

NJSA 04-Holmdel, NJ

Albertson SC-New York, NY

Lakers du Lac Saint-Louis-Montreal, QC

Westchester Flames-New Rochelle, NY

Richmond Strikers-Richmond, VA

FC Westchester-Purchase, NY

Empire United-Syracuse, NY

Match Fit-West Windsor, NH

Met Oval-Holbrook, NY

South Central Premier-Bridgeport, CT

LaSalle Stompers-Windsor, ON

FC Delco-Downingtown, PA

PDA-Zarephath, NJ

Potomac-Baltimore, MD

Relegated into the CAL for 2012

N.Y. Athletic Club-Pelham, NY

FC Sonic-Bethlehem, NY

opss.. my bad!

I don't understand something. The MLS should be 2 groups (i think east and west) and in the end the best teams from each group will play in play-off. Am I right?

Edited db means that each team plays the other teams once (19 games), and then the league splits into 2 (top 10/bottom 10), which then teams play an additional 9 games, for a total of 28 regular season games. And then top 2 seeds get a first round bye, and (3) vs (6), and (4) vs (5) in the quarter-finals. Lowest seed faces (1) and the other QF winner faces (2), and then MLS Cup Final. All rounds are 2 leg aggregate. :)

Dover Mustangs March/April 2012

A Familiar Start

Colonial Amateur League

screenshot20120502at223.png

screenshot20120501at541.png

We have started off very strong similar to last year. Promotion definitely looks attainable and I'll be striving to win the league again this year. I think it my crazy preseason schedules that give my team excellent match fitness to start the year is what puts us at such a high level at the start of the year while the rest of the teams are not quite as fit.

Colonial Cup

screenshot20120430at158.png

This is a Cup for among the teams in all three Colonial Divisions (Colonial Amateur League, Colonial Division 2, and Colonial Premier League). A good first round win over a fellow CAL team and we'll see how the match with a higher division opponent goes in the next round

raulzer-Currently in the real United States structure there is no promotion/relegation so this is a editted version that allows it as well as supplies a few more tiers to the structure.

AK22-Its how I like it gets all the 1st team, reserves, and U18s fit for the season.

TheGreatTraveler-Thanks! I also am making money on each of those friendly. Slowing building up the cash we need to make upgrades to facilities.

Dover Mustangs May/June 2012

A Drop in Form

Colonial Amateur League

screenshot20120502at223.png

screenshot20120501at541.png

Not a sequence of results that we're particularly proud of but the new signing, Marin, has taken off in scoring and leads the league in the category. We maintained our lead in the standings but we'll need to regain some form if we are to hold on to the title.

Colonial Cup

screenshot20120501at122.png

The Erie game was very close with us going down in the 17th minute and finding an equalizer in the 44th only to give an own goal right before half time. Being away from home and playing against superior opposition took its toll but I bet if it was a home game we would've won.

North American Open Cup

screenshot20120502at253.png

Another good run in this cup but we had the unfortunate draw of playing a NASL team that has since gone on to make it to the Quarterfinals of the cup. I aslo have some ire directed at the referee of this contest for as of 57th minute we were up 1-0 on a Giezen goal in the 3rd minute and had hit the woodwork twice when he sends off one of my players on a questionable call which allowed St. Louis to score two goals (70th and 87th minutes) to see us off. The game was ours in all the main stats until the card and Kevin Stott will pay!

Other Competitions

Euro 2012

screenshot20120501at504.png

Congrats to all you English folk, but I cannot explain how Northern Ireland even qualified for the tournament let alone finished second. My save is turning weird fast :lol:

CONCACAF Champions League

screenshot20120502at300.png

Colorado becomes the first USA team to win this tourney and will play in the CWC.

Dover Mustangs July/August 2012

Getting Back on the Right Foot

Colonial Amateur League

screenshot20120502at309.png

screenshot20120502at309.png

Our form has returned wit the only issue that everyone else has kept pace. We have a 4 point lead with 6 games remaining in the season. Our next game is against the currently 2nd placed Westchester Flames and a lot hinges on that result. A problem that stands in our way is that the team hasn't scored in the last 4 games (across all competitions) and that needs to change fast.

screenshot20120502at310.png

Another good run in this tourney where we were unfortunate to draw the defending cup holders in the the third round and were eliminated in a very even game a way from home. No shame in the way we went out and we'll hope for another good run next year.

United States Open Cup

screenshot20120502at310.png

An poor game and a quick exit from the cup. We were played off the pitch by a better team and we'll hope for a better go of it next year.

Doing very well so far,bit unfortunate in the cups.Don't now which is more weird,Northern Ireland qualifying and getting to the final or England winning it.

I can live with Colorado Rapids winning the CONCACAF Champions League as I've done it on FM12 :D

Wow not sure which is more surprising, England vs Northern Ireland final or Northern Ireland beating the Germans on penalties! Domestically looks like you right on course to win the league, big game with Westchester Flames though, better get a result out of that one!

Dover Mustangs September/October 2012

Back to Back

Colonial Amateur League

screenshot20120508at105.png

screenshot20120509at122.png

A two months that started off about as bad as they could we were able to rally the team together in a team meeting and put together an amazing run. It is worth noting that the final win came after going down a man in the first five minutes and after Sherbrooke scored first. Another season in the books and we have Colonial Division 2 to look forward to next year.

Sorry about the delay in this post, I earlier today took my last exam as a college student so needless to say I haven't had much time for FM in the last week :lol:

Now that I have a lot more free time updates should be rather regular for the next two weeks. My main question is what more do you want me to talk about? Do you want more write ups about each game? Any other info? Let me know so I can make this thread better. Also, expect the season review post to be made sometime later today.

B.W.G-I'm going to go with England winning it :lol: I don't know if I approve of your us of, as they are known by other MLS fans, the CRapids

PaulHartman71-I may have failed in that one game but I managed to make up for it!

TheGreatTraveler-Luckily the team finds form when it needs it (with some help from an angry manager) ;)

Scarman-We're moving on up again! Hopefully my team still isn't at a level equal to its abilities yet and we can put another good season together

Yeah you definitely did make up for it, feared the worst for you when I saw you'd lost that but you managed to turn it around very well in the end! Not really sure what you can do in terms of updates, like the current style you have and not a massive fan of reading individual match reports myself, generally just skim read them, but obviously some people like the extra detail. Good luck in the next tier up :thup:

Dover Mustangs 2012 Review

Colonial Amateur League

Results | League Table | Most Valuable Player | Golden Boot | Defender of the Year | Goalkeeper of the Year | Another league win that sees us promote to the next level. And another year where we sweep the awards. Marin won the Golden Boot and broke Estuardo Sanchez goal mark from last year, and a repeat wins for Fishbaugher and Fenner in the MVP and Goalie awards. Captain Torres won best defender, and there still isn't a manager of the year award :( . We're moving on up and I"m excited to see what this group will do in the Colonial Division 2. On to the 6th Tier!

North American Open Cup

Results | Final | Another good run, but had the misfortune of being drawn against a fantastic AC St Louis team that reached the semifinals of the competition.

Results | Final | A decent run where we lost a game I feel we could've won. A frustrating end to the run but still a satisfactory performance.

United States Open Cup

Results | Final | Just a bad performance overall in a difficult but winnable game, maybe next year we'll finally get a win in this competition.

Colonial Cup

Results | Final | Really bad luck of the draw to get a team who finished very high in the final Colonial Premier League table so early in the cup.

Other Competitions

MLS | Club World Championship: Final | NEP Reserve League | NEPL Academy Division | Our reserve and academy teams both had great years both finishing in the top 3 of their division. Hopefully next year they'll begin to climb up the ranks to follow the Senior team. The Seattle Sounders had a great year winning both the MLS and the NAOC, props to Sigi Schmid. And the CWC seemed to return to a state of near normalcy with a Brazilian team, instead of a Saudi Arabian team, knocking off a Spanish power in the final.

Fan Awards

Fan's Best XI | Fan's Player of the Year | Marin edged out Fishbaugher for this years Fan MVP and another best 11 that saw Marin take his place in the overal best XI

PaulHartman71-I think my team aims to make the league races as exciting as possible only way I can explain random spurts of poor form whenever we're about to pull away.

TheGreatTraveler-Hope so. Though I wouldn't complain if wasn't too hard. Yes! In the first year the NY Cosmos were relegated and replaced by the Minnesota Stars, but last year they swapped places so the original MLS 20 are currently what make up the league.

Dover Mustangs 2013 Season Preview

Notable Offseason Events

I finally have foudn people wiling to sign for me

Still haven't found an international job

The club still only has a 1/2 rating

Board Expectations:

Colonial Divistion 2: Avoid Relegation (Media Prediction 20th, Promotion Odds 20-1)

North American Open Cup: 2nd Qualifying Round

United States Open Cup: Learn From the Experience

Colonial Cup: Learn from the experience

My Expectations:

Colonial Division 2: Top half finish

North American Open Cup: Escape the group phase.

United States Open Cup: Have Fun

Colonial Cup: The Qualifying round is in the middle of fixture congestion hell so I'm probably going to send out a reserve squad. We'll see what happens.

Colonial Amateur League

screenshot20120509at250.png

Here is the teams in the league for reference, and the league splits after the 1st 19 games. NYAC joins us from the CAL last year. The only previous experience against any of these teams is the 2 times I beat NYAC Last year and 2 friendlies with AC Crusaders in previous years which have 1 win for each team. This year's friendly has not occurred yet.

North American Open Cup:

screenshot20120509at250.png

This year we have to qualify for the Open Cup through the Phase I Group Qualifying. We have drawn into a rather difficult group where most of the teams are from tiers higher than ours including one NASL Team.

rancer890-I'm hopeful but I've been challenged and beaten frequently by teams at this level in cups. I think Cosmos didn't have their act together in the first year and last year they won promotion back and made it to the final of the NAOC. Also fun side-note: the Markham Maruaders (Is that a typo on the in game name?) have won promotion to the CAL and have turned semi-pro.

screenshot20120509at238.png

SRL88-Thanks! At the very least the NAOC is going to be a very challenging group section.

deltablue-Thanks! :thup:

Archived