Dela-Where?: Attempting to Bring a Small State to the Top Tier

cswalk08

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a fun parallel, I went to a real life US Open Cup Quarterfinal game last night and watched my beloved Philadelphia Union take on the Harrisburgh City Islanders (who I've played 3 times this season as Dover). It was a blast of game where the Union came out on top 5-2. Here are the highlights of the exciting game.

[video=youtube;cDUKuXC07W4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDUKuXC07W4

September Update

Table

screenshot20120627at120.png

Dover's Remaining Games

screenshot20120627at121.png

We need to win our next game if we want a shot at the title. Both games are at home but we have had miserable home form in the league of late. Chicago doesn't play either us or Jersey so only Jersey controls its own fate. Its going to be close.

Yes!!! I finally got the board to agree to stuff.

screenshot20120627at710n.png

screenshot20120627at710.png

I've got to put the prize money that I've won from the NAOC towards new youth facilities and a higher payroll budget (though its kind of useless now if they go low budget at the start of next year).

Dover Mustangs July/August 2015

To Playoffs We Go

screenshot20120421at111.png

Matches

screenshot20120627at112.png

USL-Pro East

screenshot20120627at112.png

We ended up 3rd on goal differential. We only tied Jersey but it wouldn't have mattered anyway as Chicago took home the trophy. We've lost all ability to win at home in the league and it continued in the promotion playoffs that saw us draw at home but a strong away game kept us alive for a rematch against Jersey to see who goes up to the USL Pro next year.

North American Open Cup

A tough fought game against seattle that saw us lose a very close game on the scoreline but not very close in actuality.

screenshot20120627at105.png

A Milestone during the promotion playoffs!

2015 USL-Pro East Promotion Playoff Final

1st Leg

screenshot20120628at105.png

I want from very to pissed off in almost no time. We had the fixture locked up, and then we decided to not play during the last 4 minutes and ta-da 2-2 tie.

2nd Leg

We were staring the loss in the face when Giezen, in his second game back from a long term injury, returns the favor from the 1st leg and scored a stoppage time to win us promotion to the 3rd Tier!!

Final Table

So despite going 0-5-2 against Jersey in my career we promote ahead of them to the USL Pro Division!

alexcharliemann-Soccer is definitely on the rise on the US. It was a very fun game to be at, funnily enough the stadium was only 1/4 full (about 4.5k people there, stadium holds 18.5k, usually sells out for league games). The open cup isn't really well followed or well attended. I'm hoping it'll be better in the semi final since we'll be playing an MLS team.

cerud-Thanks. I may have been quite exuberant in my reaction.

PaulHartman71-I don't know. We've beaten some USL Pro teams this year but never controlled a game. First goal is avoiding relegation but I think we might go top half if we can get a strong start. Promoting to the NASL requires finished in 1st and with a playoff with 3 NASL teams. I don't think we're ready for that unless we make some impressive signings.

deltablue-Thanks! I'm excited for the next season.

Dover Mustangs 2013 Review

USL-Pro East

Results | League Table | Most Valuable Player | Golden Boot | Defender of the Year | Goalkeeper of the Year | A very good season the saw us to promote to the 3rd tier USL Pro league with a promotion playoff win. No award winners but Jimenez finished 3rd in the golden boot race.

North American Open Cup

Results | Final | A fantastic run saw us go all the way to the semi final where we went out against the eventual champion Seattle Sounders

United States Open Cup

Results | Final | Unlucky draw saw us go out in PKs to a NASL side.

USL Cup

Results | Final | Lost in the 1st round, no to upset about it.

Other Competitions

MLS | Club World Championship: Final | Colonial Division 2 Reserve League | NEPL Academy Division | A Canadian 1-2 finish in the MLS and Man United win the CWC. A strong showing by our reserves that left 3 points out of third promotion wile our academy failed again to promote out of the bottom tier.

Fan Awards

Fan's Best XI | Fan's Player of the Year | Rafao takes the fan player of the year this season, and the pest eleven is shown on the left.

Dover Mustangs 2016 Season Preview

Board Expectations:

USL Pro: Avoid Relegation (Media Prediction 20th, Promotion Odds 200-1)

North American Open Cup: 1st Round

United States Open Cup: 1st Round

USL Cup: Learn from the experience

My Expectations:

USL Pro: Avoid Relegation

North American Open Cup: Make a run.

United States Open Cup: Have Fun

USL Cup: Make a run.

USL Pro

screenshot20120628at426.png

28 games in the and the league splits after the 1st 19 games.

alexcharliemann-Soccer is definitely on the rise on the US. It was a very fun game to be at, funnily enough the stadium was only 1/4 full (about 4.5k people there, stadium holds 18.5k, usually sells out for league games). The open cup isn't really well followed or well attended. I'm hoping it'll be better in the semi final since we'll be playing an MLS team.
Damn, well you guys made some noise. You can get kicked out for that at my club, these days we abide by library rules...

Dover Mustangs Preseason 2016

Season 6: Revenge of the Board

Youth Intake

screenshot20120628at341.png

Another very good intake with a few players the will be able to contribute shortly. Acuna is going to challenge Jimenez for the starting role with Rafao very quickly I think.

Friedlies

screenshot20120630at900.png

I set up as many friendly against MLS squads as I could. Most of the games were pretty close possession and chance wise and we just need to have better finishing to be able to top them.

Transfers

screenshot20120630at853.png

We took a lot of players from our intake which meant that dead weight had to go. I had been trying to shop May and a few others all last year without much success. I am still trying to sell Marin because now his pay is up to $5.5k/week and I've tried negotiating lower but now he wants $10k! I'm also trying to move Giezen because this level is probably one step too much for him and he's one of the top earners at the club as well at $1.4k/week. I've brought in a AM® (Appleton) for the 4-3-3 and a Back up GK (Jordan) who is around the same ability as Fenner and is 5 years younger.

Dover Mustangs March/April 2016

A Fine Start

Matches

screenshot20120701at124.png

USL-Pro

screenshot20120701at124.png

A very respectable start to the season. We sit in 8th place, 6 points out of the playoff positions. A very disappointing loss against Cincinnati though, the players definitely got a piece of my mind.

USL Cup

Strong win propels us into the 3rd Round of the cup.

In fantastic player news, I talked to Marin and got him to lower his salary demands and signed a two year deal at $2.9k per week. I now have also signed a few more extensions and now have almost 3kp/w to work with as well as 2 more international spots. I'll post any new additions to the squad.

cerud-They are in the USL Pro West division. Of the people I released the top 4 were back ups that hadn't played in more than 5 games over the last two seasons the rest were former youth players that didn't have potential worth staying around and were replaced by most of the youth squad.

B.W.G-Thanks it's looking to avoid relegation

Scarman- Thanks!

TheGreatTraveler-Its been incredible so far. I'd say the first 4 were expected since I kept bringing in better talent and usually had the highest salary in the league but the 5th was a definite surprise when I couldn't add much to due budget restrictions. It's pretty much certain that it won't happen this year though.

AK22-Thanks, its been a good start but we've fallen a bit since.

deltablue-I think the squad doesn't know how to have a bad season :lol:

SRL88-Thanks, if I finished in this position I'd be very happy with the season.

Dover Mustangs May/June 2016

Cup Success, League Mediocrity

USL-Pro

screenshot20120706at632.png

screenshot20120706at631.png

Our performances has slipped and we stand in 12th place. I really want to sneak into 10th place in the next four games to guarantee us a spot in the top 10 and a $2M payout at the end of the season. It's possible and my next four games are against the 4th, 6th, 14th, and 18th placed teams. We'll need at least two wins in those four games and likely more to pass SGM and Puerto Rico.

USL Cup

We continued our progress this cup and have reached the quarterfinal with a close win over a USLE side.

North American Open Cup

We got our first win over an MLS side! We're back in the 4th Round but we will be facing another MLS side, Columbus Crew, away from home and it will take another great performance to move on. The win over Chivas was especially impressive when you see the general stats below, and Andrew Trevino only got the start because Renzo Marin was tired.

Stats from the game

screenshot20120706at936.png

In other news our board has agreed to attempt to buy our stadium!

screenshot20120706at612.png

Updated facilities after the improvment to the youth facilities

screenshot20120706at634.png

rancer890-Definitely the goal for the season. Also I have attempted to make the Marauders my feeder club just waiting to see if the board can make a deal.

cerud-I have to play them twice in the next 2 months Wins in both would be greatly beneficial.

The Euro's have ended and 14 different coaches left their positions/were fired so I applied to all of them.

screenshot20120707at244.png

England repeats as Euro Champions (probably due to avoiding any penalty shootouts)

screenshot20120707at237.pngscreenshot20120707at243.pngscreenshot20120707at252.png

Well there goes any ego I had

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I haven't been having as much fun as I would like playing this save of late so I'm going to take a short break from it and start up a journeyman career. I only think I'll take a few weeks off before I go back to it but I want to play a different save and see if I can have a bit more fun. I've also been busy the past week or two since I found a new job and have been getter ready to relocate in 2 weeks.

I did play the save til the 19 game league split point and managed to sneak into 9th place thanks to a few teams having amazing crashes into the bottom half.

Hopefully I'll be back to this thread soon but look out for my journeyman thread!

-cswalk08

Archived