Dela-Where?: Attempting to Bring a Small State to the Top Tier

cswalk08

Injury!

Left Midfielder John May has broken his leg for the 2nd time in 2 years and will be out for 6-7 months. The injury is to his lower left leg and occured during a game against Quintana. He spent a similar time on the mend last season after breaking his lower left leg in a game against AC Crusaders. May had been performing well this season with 2 goals in 11 appearances (7 starts) with an average rating of 7.11.

More Signings

The Dover Mustangs have made 3 new signings. Right midfielder Felipe Pagan joins the squad as a backup to John Fishbaugher and should provide some depth. Jonathan Purcicoe is a versatile midfielder that could be a replacement for John May while he is on the mend from a recent leg injury and provide depth at the other midfield positions. Colin Martin is a U18 player who should provide some defensive depth in the busy parts of the season.

The Draw Gods Forsake Mustangs

The Mustangs have been drawn to play at FC Dallas for the 2nd Qualifying Round of the North american Open Cup. The manager has vowed to storm Olympus and give the gods a piece of his mind.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cerud-Depth is awesome. NOw when players are hurt and tired I get to use players I have confidence in!

rancer890-I'm hoping the depth I've signed will allow the team to consistently play at a high level.

TheGreatTraveler-Hopefully. I'm running out of tiers haha

SRL88-Thanks!

deltablue-thanks! Hopefully it doesn't take more than a year or two with how we're playing so far.

raulzur-Thanks! We're playing in the 5th tier now. Almost halfway there.

Dover Mustangs May/June 2014

Still on top

screenshot20120421at111.png

Colonial Premier League

screenshot20120615at103.png

We're holding on to first place in the league by a thread and have a match up with the New Jersey Rangers coming up soon that could allow us to take better control of the division.

North American Open Cup

The draw gods have forsaken us once again!An unfortunate pairing against FC Dallas caused an early exit from the NAOC.

Dover Mustangs July/August 2014

Holding on

Colonial Premier League

screenshot20120618at237.png

screenshot20120618at237.png

We're holding on to first place in the league by a thread and have a match up with the New Jersey Rangers coming up soon that could allow us to take better control of the division.

United States Open Cup & Colonial Cup

screenshot20120618at238.png

We're into the semi-final of the Colonial cup after a strong game. As for the Baton Rouge game, I'm still pissed off about it. We lead for almost the entire the game and gave up an equalizer in the 90+4th minute. There was also a clear penalty denied to our side during extra time. Fenner made a PK in the shootout though so that was amusing at least!

October 22, 2014

Colonial Cup Final

At Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ

How Dover Mustangs Got To The Final

screenshot20120618at100.png

How Kalamazoo Outrage Got To The Final

screenshot20120618at100.png

The Final

screenshot20120618at110.png

We were in complete control this game. Despite this, our offense decide to take the night off and we won by three when it could have been much more with some better finishing. Our first cup win! Will it be part of a Double?

TheGreatTraveler-Thanks!

deltablue-Thanks, I am particularly a fan of our 0 goals against.

B.W.G-Thanks, and spoiler warning: we did.

DodgeeD-There are some pretty classic names in this edit but this one is 100% real. Kalamazoo Outrage Website

cerud-Agreed! It was nice being in a cup final for once.

Also, look at the tactic used by Kalamazoo in the final.

screenshot20120618at103.png

Very strange and very ineffective.

Dover Mustangs September/October 2014

Double!

Colonial Premier League

screenshot20120619at125.png

screenshot20120619at125.png

We leisurely held on and won our fourth consecutive league title which moves into the USL PRO East league for the 2015 season. The club is entering some financial issues and I'm not sure if we're going to be able to hold on to our more expensive players next year if their abilities do not grow during the off season. The $500k for winning the league has helped though.

screenshot20120618at833.png

In other news, my assistant coach has left to become the manager of the Eire Admirals. He served me well for four years and I wish him nothing but the best.

World Cup 2014

Group Stages:

Group A: Brazil 9pts, Australia 4pts, Italy 2pts, Egypt 0pts

Group B: Uruguay 7pts, Belgium 5pts, Canada 4pts, Qatar 0pts

Group C: Holland 7pts, Paraguay 4pts, Romania 4 pts, Cameroon 1pt

Group D: Germany 7pts, Ukraine 6pts, Chile 4pts, Ghana 0pts

Group E: France 9pts, Mexico 4pts, Switzerland 2 pts, Peru 1pt

Group F: Argentina 9pts, Portugal 4pts, Honduras 4pts, Japan 0pts

Group G: England 9pts, Ivory Coast 6pts, Slovakia 3pts, Iraq 0pts

Group H: Spain 9pts, United States 4pts, Wales 4pts, Senegal 0pts

Knockout Stages:

screenshot20120619at102.png

Needless to say Brazil used its home field advantage to full effect and dominated on its way to their title.

CONCACAF Champions League

screenshot20120619at104.png

Sounders win, and don't appear to have been challenged very much in the knockout phase. We'll see how the do in the CWC later.

Dover Mustangs 2014 Review

Colonial Premier League

Results | League Table | Most Valuable Player | Golden Boot | Defender of the Year | Goalkeeper of the Year | Another league championship but a much closed one than last year. Renzo Marin won the league MVP but failed to even make the top 3 for the Golden Boot showing the higher quality of the league. Chris Fenner and Rafao were both robbed in my opinion to make the top 3 for Goalkeeper and Defender of the year respectively.

North American Open Cup

Results | Final | We were able to win our qualifying group while going undefeated. But an unlucky draw saw us fall to FC Dallas in the 2nd Qualifying round.

United States Open Cup

Results | Final | Losing a game we could've won prevented any repeat of our fantastic run from the year before.

Colonial Cup

Results | Final | We are the champions. 15 goals for and 0 against in the 5 games of the tournament showed our dominance.

Other Competitions

MLS | Club World Championship: Final | Colonial Amateur Reserve League | NEPL Academy Division | Our reserves went Undefeated and promoted to the next division! Our academy team also showed a lot of improvement from the previous year. The sounders went out early in the CWC and LA won the MLS.

Fan Awards

Fan's Best XI | Fan's Player of the Year | Marin wins his 3rd fan MVP in 3 years, and the Best XI includes a lot of our new signings from the year.

Dover Mustangs 2015 Season Preview

Board Expectations:

USL-Pro East: Avoid Relegation (Media Prediction 20th, Promotion Odds 100-1)

North American Open Cup: 3rd Qualifying Round

United States Open Cup: 1st Round

USL Cup: Learn from the experience

My Expectations:

USL-Pro East: Avoid Relegation

North American Open Cup: Make a run. (We need the money)

United States Open Cup: Have Fun

USL Cup: Have fun.

USL-Pro East:

screenshot20120619at222.png

Here is the teams in the league for reference, and the league splits after the 1st 19 games. 28 games total The previous experience against teams in this league are 2 wins and 1 loss against York, a win against Harrisburg City, a win against Ocean City, and 2 losses and a draw against Jersey Express

Financial Siutation:

screenshot20120619at232.png

The club has dropped into an insecure financial status, and I have to do something about it. The wage budjet I have been given is lower than what I am currently spending even after adjusting all of the transfer money to it. I am going to have to to sell some players and I am setting up friendlies that should bring in significant money to the club.

B.W.G-Thanks. Our real problem is attendance we only averaged 665 fans last season and are gaining very little income from ticket sales.

rancer890-I'm selling off players that have big salaries but are getting old and am looking for one or two additions from loans and free transfers. I need to boost attendance and I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.

cerud-Thanks, I'm trying it out. I'll post some more financial information to see if I'm doing something really stupid.

deltablue-This one is real too!

Dover Mustangs Preseason 2015

Season 4: Will Win Games for $$$$

Youth Intake

screenshot20120619at121.png

We had a good youth intake and I signed a lot of them because they beat the crap out of my U18 squad (a lot of the players released below were old U18 players with meh ratings). Vega looks phenomenal and I'm bring him up as a backup to the first team and he'll start most reserve games and similarly with Morrice.

Friedlies

screenshot20120620at522.png

This preseason was all about making money and we were able to do that. We played MLS Side-San Antonio twice, multiple NASL Sides, and some other sides. There were a lot of positive results and we definitely got better as we went along.

Transfers

screenshot20120620at332.png

I let go a lot of dead weight including I believe the last of the original Dover players. I brought in a new striker to pair with Marin as well as a left mid to end the controversy over who should play there. Fishbaugher and Leslie were both Overall Best XI players for the club and I'm sad to see them go. Fish lost a lot of skill between this year and last as wasn't going to be as dominant as he was in previous leagues. Leslie was a great player who I would play everywhere on the right side of the field including striker, but due to a glitch was part of another team and would be ineligible for games frequently and I couldn't have that with his large salary. Dorsey was the only other 1st team loss and he was not as good as the rest of the squad and wanted big money to stick around, and thus I politely informed him where the door was.

Financials

Expenditure

screenshot20120619at952.png

The only think besides Salaries I seem to be spending a decent amount on is scouting. I may have to cut a few of my scouts if that is the case.

Income

screenshot20120619at952.png

Our gate receipts are going up it would seem. Our season tickets quadrupled from 100 last year to 400 this year. This is still no where near capacity for our 7000+ all seater stadium.

In other news some of our players are beginning to get call-ups. Pagan has gotten called up by the senior Puerto Rico National Team once, and now Gorecki has been called up for the U20 North American Championship.

screenshot20120620at221.png

The club is definitely moving up in stature (still only a 1/2 star reputation though).

We have also become a fully Professional Club and I was hoping that would be a big wage budget increase....Nope!

Injury-wise- We have lost Renzo Marin and Baez for the first 2 months of the season due to injury.

EDIT: 1st game of the season: 2,186 Attendance. This could be a good sign.

Yeah, when I'm in lower leagues, I usually don't hire the maximum number of scouts that I'm allowed. For me in Serie C of Brazilian football, I'm allowed 6 scouts. I have 3 because the amount they spend on travel adds up. In higher leagues, I'd hire more, but they are definitely a luxury :)

On a side note, that's the most insanely good youth intake I have ever seen!!

Dover Mustangs March/April 2015

Not In First

USL-Pro East

screenshot20120621at133.png

screenshot20120621at110.png

I believe that this is the first update where we are not on top of the league. We are still doing well though. These games have seemed a lot closer then in previous years and it will be very interesting to see where we go from here. I'm also experimenting with tactics as I've gotten pretty bored of my Diamond 4-4-2 that I had variations of in all 3 slots. The win over CASL was from a 4-3-3 based around tomtuck's Man City tactic. I've also put in a counter attack tactic for our next match against an MLS side to see if that is more effective.

USL Cup

Loss in a close game at home while down a man for a significant part of the game, didn't really care about this competition too much anyway, but it was a possible source of prize money.

An excellent youth intake,that should help with the finances in future years as they should be cheaper.Also going very well in the league considering it's your first season in that division.Keep up the good work :D

DodgeeD-There are truely a fantastic group. Vega, Morrice, and Worthington have already made multiple first team appearances. It'll be interesting to see if Morrice can challenge Canales for the first team role.

B.W.G-Definitely have geared my siginings towards not spending money. I'm thinking of selling Marin because his salary has gotten really high after the promotion and he is really underperforming.

deltablue-Definitely happy with how its gone so far.

cerud-Agreed, I'm still playing with tactics but I think things could get better once I solidify it.

Dover Mustangs May/June 2015

Keeping the Pace

USL-Pro East

screenshot20120624at308.png

screenshot20120624at307.png

Things are going well minus a bit of rough patch towards the end of the month. Marin has yet to find form since returning from injury and its hard to justify his $3.4k/w salary anymore so I may be looking to sell him especially with Jimenez playing so well and only need one true striker when I play the 4-3-3.

North American Open Cup

screenshot20120624at308.png

We got a bye to the 1st round proper this year and have taken advantage of a friendly draw so far and will play Chicago magic at home in the 3rd round. We beat them at the beginning of the month at home so I am hopeful.

Dover Mustangs July/August 2015

Down to the Wire

USL-Pro East

screenshot20120626at121.png

screenshot20120626at121j.png

The race for the title is going to come down to the wire. We stand 3 points back from the top two teams and 1 point ahead of fourth places. The top 2 teams play each other in the first game of september and we play Jersey Express on the next to last game of the season. We missed a big opportunity not beating Chicago at home, and while our defense has stepped up its play our offense is basically non existant for most of the month. I might do a small update at the end of september if its still very close.

North American Open Cup

Wow, we've put good run together. Thanks to a very friendly draw we've managed to surpass our run from our first season. We've made a ton of prize money (about $1.8M) and no longer have much a financial problem (The borad still won't give me any more payroll room though...so I signed two new players to spite them anyway ^_^ )

United States Open Cup

Went out to an NASL the we pushed the distance away from home. Not a bad performance.

screenshot20120625at925.png

I've gotten a few job offers since I last posted them, and looking at the wage and transfer budgets on them is slightly depressing when I look at my own situation :lol:

cerud-Nope, I turned it down. Won't leave until I at least get Dover til the MLS. Now that we have some money in the bank next year should give us.

AK22-Thanks! I think it'll likely come down to the game against Jersey in October. Their coach always seems to get the best of me though.

Other Competitions

Gold Cup

screenshot20120626at220.png

Copa America

screenshot20120626at220.png

Concacaf Champions League

screenshot20120626at222.png

screenshot20120626at528.png

We are in now in the Semi-final of the NAOC!! This was a very interesting game with our domination in extra time and Melo's late equalizer that allowed us to stay alive. Fantastic Performance and It's scary to think, but we are two wins from qualifying for the Concacaf Champions League.

Archived