I sent the game back! Does this make me a traitor? Am I too old for FM now?

Richie, wholly unfounded and completely wrong. If you read my posts properly you will see this isnt about money. Frankly, I dont think you read the OP or you would not have written that.

Money is not the issue. Steam isn't really the issue. The issue is not being given the choice! My questions are why does it bug me so much and why SI felt it so neccessary to take away the option of choice.

From where I'm standing, its seems for you the lack of choice is one of the little things that annoy you. And that maybe you've reached the point where the little things annoy you far more than they used to?

Hey ndeberg, thx for the reply.

I'm thinking it is the age thing. There is a part of me that enjoyed being able to set up the game and finish a season all in the space of a couple of hours. Of course, over the years it has taken longer and longer to get to the end of the month never mind season. However, the anal part of me really enjoys picking over every detail there is to do with my team. There are many more things now that annoy me about the game than say 10 years ago but there are also probably hundreds of new aspects which have increased enjoyment/addiction, to epic levels. Maybe even thousands.

Perhaps I am just trying to deflect away from facing the inevitable responsibilities of life and lack of time and energy to immerse myself in the game and so I have picked out this one aspect to help me 'move on' so to speak.

However, I didn't take this decision lightly which is why I feel a slight pang of treachery.

Doesn't having a program take up memory in the background eventually cost you money in the long run (updating components; GC and HD working harder so decreasing shelf life; electrical costs as the fan and other components have to work harder)? I know it's all probably very small amounts but it al adds up int the end.

And yes, I am aware that moaning about minimal cost incursions is a sure sign I'm getting older but it doesn't change the facts.

I think you could be onto something there, I am indifferent to steam for me it is neither a bad thing or a great thing. I do like the fact that it keeps my games in one place and has some cracking deals on it for other games. If you have not tried it with steam then you really should just give it a go and set steam to offline, I assume then you will not be bothered by it at all.

ok Joey maybe i was being overly critical but when people say words along the lines of 'i would never discovered FM unless i pirated it so is not a bad thing' it does make me wonder. It almost seems to suggest that even if u no longer obtain illegally that u are happy for others to do so.

I mean sure i dont paticuarly care for Steam but i hardly notice it tbh. In fact when my fm11 disc broke i was thankful i had a free steam code as gift from when FM Live ended, saved me a few months waiting for fm12 so i have it instealled since then

Digital music is still good in the sense that it's much more practical.

Yeah but the point is that the conversion from analogue to digital distorts the sound, and it is only practical because the CD and DVD medias filter out certain details of the audio spectrum. If not the files would be too large.

... But this is all nonsense to most people, because the average user (and thus the customer base) couldn't care less about sound quality. Most people aren't able to discern one tone from another, let alone the details that technology can't measure but trained and talented persons can. This is why 128byte mp3-files through a static-generating miniature amplifier directly into the ears via plastic earplugs is thought of as a good idea. And it is, but this has nothing to do with music.

Down with corporations, and capitalist agendas. Valve is stealing our money, skimming it off the top of every sale of the game. Buying this game now supports two evil capitalist orginizations. That is why I hate steam.

Thank you for allowing me to make this political. The USA is a whore, and the rest of the world are her clients.

(Except China. China is boss.)

ok Joey maybe i was being overly critical but when people say words along the lines of 'i would never discovered FM unless i pirated it so is not a bad thing' it does make me wonder. It almost seems to suggest that even if u no longer obtain illegally that u are happy for others to do so.

Richie, I dont really care one way or the other if people choose to get the game illegally or not. My point was that SI are justifying the steam inclusion because they say it is works against piracy. But, just like all the other things that were introduced to combat piracy, it wont make a jot of difference, no matter what they say.

I really don't get peoples grievances with Steam, and why/how they see to have had so many problems.

I had never used it before this years game, but for this incarnation of the game I had to, so I did. And I can be 100% honest in saying I havent encountered a single problem with it.

You say that digital distribution is purely used to allow developers to make more money, that is bollocks.

The PC market needs digital distribution to survive. Walk into any games store now and you'll see 99% of the store devoted to consoles and console games with the PC games piled away in a tiny corner and usually with a range of the "top 10" and a handful of old crap.

If it wasn't for digital distribution then sales of PC games would be a huge amount lower than they are right now and they would only get lower.

As for those who go on about Steam like it is the antichrist, you're all wrong. Yes it is another program you've got to run but so what, it sits in the background, not doing anything, it doesn't effect you while you're playing the game. If you look at the positives of it, it makes keeping a game patched up much easier, it has a community of millions upon millions of members, virtually every new release is available on it anywhere in the world, it allows you to access your games anywhere and it syncs your save games across whichever computers you use it on (not for FM I know, but for a huge number of games).

I personally think that Steam is one of the best things to have ever come to the PC market. I remember when I first got into PC gaming, I used to play in clans for 3 different games and each clan used a different third party program to chat while in and out of game, used a different third party program for voice chat. Almost every time any of my clans had a match we had the problem that the team we were playing against used different software to what we did and so you'd have to spend an hour sorting that problem out. Now with the rise of Steam everything is much simpler. You have all your games on one account, chat is handled by Steam, voice chat is handled by Steam, communities and team pages are handled by Steam, everything is in one place and is so much more straightforwards.

So, to all you old guys who think that steam is an abomination, accept change and realise that it is one of the best things ever to come to the PC.

Yes, clearly everyone who doesn't like steam is 'old' and can't accept change. How about this: I'm a truly ancient 22 years of age, the profession I'm gunning for is a Sci-Fi novelist and my political beliefs are most accurately surmised as Transhumanist/Extropian (look it up).

No, my beef with Steam is based on it's performance on multiple platforms with multiple genres of games. In my own estimation it has done very badly indeed, causing problems with every single game I've ever installed.

No offence, but your issue here is failing to see that other people's experiences are equally as valid as your own. Let me demonstrate:

it makes keeping a game patched up much easier,

For most people, yes. Personally I never had a problem with going to a company's website and downloading the latest patch. Meanwhile Steam has managed to **** up every single patch install for FM12, inconveniencing me to the tune of several hours, mutiple times longer than it would have taken me to simply download and install a patch.

it has a community of millions upon millions of members

I have absolutely no interest in this.

virtually every new release is available on it anywhere in the world,

Only with an internet connection. Scrap that, a good internet connection if you want to download it. I've lived places with crappy internet connections and let me tell you, trying to activate and download games from steam was not fun. One notable struggle to install a game lasted a day and a half and multiple requests for customer support. Alternatively if I had been able I would gladly have walked 40 minutes there and back into town and simply installed the damn thing.

I personally think that Steam is one of the best things to have ever come to the PC market. I remember when I first got into PC gaming, I used to play in clans for 3 different games and each clan used a different third party program to chat while in and out of game, used a different third party program for voice chat.

Hooray! ...for those who play multiplayer. don't personally view this as a feature because I don't play multiplayer, at all. There are lots of us. Heck, Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) is one.

Now with the rise of Steam everything is much simpler.

*splutters*

Yes, everything is so much simpler than opening my Amazon package, sticking in a CD and hitting 'run setup'. Not that I've had to contend with steam-related crashes, denials of service, messed up patches, mysterious refusals to run, potential compromise of my credit card details thanks to hackers, unreliable installation system etc etc.

As for those who go on about Steam like it is the antichrist, you're all wrong.

I don't think Steam is the antichrist. On the contray I can completely understand it's appeal. However my greviences are based on three points:

1) My horrible experiences with Steam.

2) The fact that I don't want or need what Steam has to offer.

3) The fact that using Steam with FM12 is no longer optional.

Best,

Toffee

I wish the game still came on 2 floppy disks (1 for saving!) and that Pat Nevin was still part of the database.

It's so unfair that I have to use steam to install and play the game. I want to install from floppy disk. Where is my option. Or tape drive! And while I'm at it, why do I need to use a PC? Where is my Amiga option? It's like they just don't care about me anymore. I demand options!

I have no idea why it became cool for the kiddies to hate steam, but it has ever been thus.

Yes, clearly having a bad experience/not wanting a service = disliking it because we want to be cool.

What I don't understand is how so many pro-Steam posters arguments boil down to:

Well I don't have a problem with Steam, so I can't understand for the life of me how someone else could possibly dislike Steam. Huh, they must be mentally defective.

I personally used steam before FM12 and I think it is alright. It automatically updates my games and I've never had a problem. It is free, quick and easy to download so when this years release was announced as a steam only production I never really understood the controversy. Each to their own I suppose but if steam annoys people so much they would rather not play FM then they probably won't miss as much as I would. I guess those with "horrible experiences" of steam are much much unluckier than I am. Strange considering I know nothing about this technology crap and just follow on screen instructions.

I hope the OP has a change of heart and comes back soon though.

Yes, clearly having a bad experience/not wanting a service = disliking it because we want to be cool.

What I don't understand is how so many pro-Steam posters arguments boil down to:

Well I don't have a problem with Steam, so I can't understand for the life of me how someone else could possibly dislike Steam. Huh, they must be mentally defective.

I was thinking that myself Toff!

Yes, clearly everyone who doesn't like steam is 'old' and can't accept change. How about this: I'm a truly ancient 22 years of age, the profession I'm gunning for is a Sci-Fi novelist and my political beliefs are most accurately surmised as Transhumanist/Extropian (look it up).

No, my beef with Steam is based on it's performance on multiple platforms with multiple genres of games. In my own estimation it has done very badly indeed, causing problems with every single game I've ever installed.

No offence, but your issue here is failing to see that other people's experiences are equally as valid as your own. Let me demonstrate:

For most people, yes. Personally I never had a problem with going to a company's website and downloading the latest patch. Meanwhile Steam has managed to **** up every single patch install for FM12, inconveniencing me to the tune of several hours, mutiple times longer than it would have taken me to simply download and install a patch.

I have absolutely no interest in this.

Only with an internet connection. Scrap that, a good internet connection if you want to download it. I've lived places with crappy internet connections and let me tell you, trying to activate and download games from steam was not fun. One notable struggle to install a game lasted a day and a half and multiple requests for customer support. Alternatively if I had been able I would gladly have walked 40 minutes there and back into town and simply installed the damn thing.

Hooray! ...for those who play multiplayer. don't personally view this as a feature because I don't play multiplayer, at all. There are lots of us. Heck, Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) is one.

*splutters*

Yes, everything is so much simpler than opening my Amazon package, sticking in a CD and hitting 'run setup'. Not that I've had to contend with steam-related crashes, denials of service, messed up patches, mysterious refusals to run, potential compromise of my credit card details thanks to hackers, unreliable installation system etc etc.

I don't think Steam is the antichrist. On the contray I can completely understand it's appeal. However my greviences are based on three points:

1) My horrible experiences with Steam.

2) The fact that I don't want or need what Steam has to offer.

3) The fact that using Steam with FM12 is no longer optional.

Best,

Toffee

Best post so far Toff, and I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said!

Archived