Explosion in London Underground

defusion

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cockney Cobbler:

I tell you what has amazed me, besides myself everyone else in the office here is just working as though nothing happened. Kudos to the British stiff upper lip icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feck stiff upper lip, if i were in London i'd be putting personal safety first and evacuating the city for the day to make sure there aren't any others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what the terrorists (assuming it is, which it must be) would want tbh, mass panic and the thing is, in a funny sort of way, the emergency services seem to be controlling the situation very well and it all seems very calm outside now which is amazing given how they've shut some roads off near where I am.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

If it isn't a "power surge" and is in fact an attack then i would say it is defo linked to G8 as opposed to Olympics ... unless some veiled early threat to hosting the games in London ... may as well have waited a year or so if they wanted to do that tbh when money has been spent building, etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Power surges don't blow up Buses mate

I just saw a clip on the news of where the bus exploded. That is about 50 yards from my mate's flat. I hope to christ he was not in.

Bloody hell. To anyone who knows the area, the bus was down Woburn Place away from Euston, but before you reach Tavistock. I used to live in the next road over from it until saturday. About 60 or 70 yards from where it blew up... jesus. I am so glad so many of us moved away on Saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

If it isn't a "power surge" and is in fact an attack then i would say it is defo linked to G8 as opposed to Olympics ... unless some veiled early threat to hosting the games in London ... may as well have waited a year or so if they wanted to do that tbh when money has been spent building, etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why London though? All the political focus is on Scotland during the G8, and whoever's responsible had to be aware of the IOC committee's decision being made yesterday. The symbolic power of bombing the city that has only yesterday been bigged up as the best city in the world can't be denied.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

all the phones are ffyced

ffycin hell i need to speak to people </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same here..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sky Blue Tom:

Why London though? All the political focus is on Scotland during the G8, and whoever's responsible had to be aware of the IOC committee's decision being made yesterday. The symbolic power of bombing the city that has only yesterday been bigged up as the best city in the world can't be denied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps because The City is the World's largest financial centre (briely rivalled by the WTC), and because the UK is the second largest contributor to the force currently occupying Iraq.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sky Blue Tom:

Why London though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume its because its a soft target at the moment, due to the police resources being used to protect the leaders in Scotland.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WYorksRanger:

Vodafone have deactivated their network due to sheer volumes of calls, only able for use for emergency services now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just in affected areas of London so far btw.

Why London though? All the political focus is on Scotland during the G8, and whoever's responsible had to be aware of the IOC committee's decision being made yesterday. The symbolic power of bombing the city that has only yesterday been bigged up as the best city in the world can't be denied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they wouldn't strike in scotland cause the security constraints are major.

they always go for surprise attacks when no-one is expecting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zigson:

Perhaps because The City is the World's largest financial centre (briely rivalled by the WTC), and because the UK is the second largest contributor to the force currently occupying Iraq. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you're probably right. I just think the timing of all this in relation to the Olympic bid is impressive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I think it was just 90 casulaties at Aldgate icon_frown.gif

p.s. the cool flat is all ok (tersmit, kellybaws, keith, schmeichel, and frannybaws) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

unfortunately so

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Doctors say at least 90 people were injured at Aldgate Station, while Home Secretary Charles Clarke spoke of "terrible injuries". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from BBC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

stock markets are collapsing as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should be shutting the markets down!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Look at the wreckage of that bus... fooking hell. (ITV News) icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone from SI ok Ter? No-one travel on them lines?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cockney Cobbler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

I tell you what has amazed me, besides myself everyone else in the office here is just working as though nothing happened. Kudos to the British stiff upper lip icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feck stiff upper lip, if i were in London i'd be putting personal safety first and evacuating the city for the day to make sure there aren't any others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what the terrorists (assuming it is, which it must be) would want tbh, mass panic and the thing is, in a funny sort of way, the emergency services seem to be controlling the situation very well and it all seems very calm outside now which is amazing given how they've shut some roads off near where I am. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye it probably is what they want but i'm a coward if i'm honest and wouldn't be able to get anything done worrying about whether another bomb is going to go off or not.

This sounds to me like it's comparable to the Madrid bombings in terms of casualties etc. Has to be al Qaeda. Shows the war on Iraq helped fight terrorism eh Tony and Dubya.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I think it was just 90 casulaties at Aldgate icon_frown.gif

p.s. the cool flat is all ok (tersmit, kellybaws, keith, schmeichel, and frannybaws) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank the Lord icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

stock markets are collapsing as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should be shutting the markets down! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they should keep working to show the fecking terrorists that they can't stop us working!

Head honcho policeman on ITV saying all he will confirm at the moment is there has been a series of explosions. All transport in London has stopped for the time being. He's also asking for the media not to induldge in speculation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

i really wish they wouldn't shove cameras in the faces of people who care clearly very injured and sitressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dust Lady \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

i really wish they wouldn't shove cameras in the faces of people who care clearly very injured and sitressed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You watching Sky News?

The way the reported kept going on at questions at the guy was a bit poor :/

They probably planned it for today for added impact... You know, it could have been next tuesday, or monday, or whatever, but they did it for today 'cos they knew there would be s stir that way if London did get it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Are the explosions still going on or have they stopped now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure tbh, I think most of them happened around the same time and they are just dealing with the fallout now, but it still seems a little low key (no disrespect to those involved) compared to 9/11 and Bali.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavinho:

Bus Network stopped.

Some people are being sent home from work now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My girlf really wants to come home but how are people supposed to get back home with no transport in and out of London?

Archived