[FM12]“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page”

roganp

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck as your career moves to North America!

Gone a good job.

I think so. Hopefully whoever takes over Ipswich can continue what I started.

All the best in the States. Also, look on the bright side - no chance of relegation! :D

An astonishing season at Ipswich! I don't think I've ever seen that many league goals scored in a season before! :eek:

As for the move to NY, it's a great step up. I just wish you good luck with the rules over there ;). I'm still not sure about the rules on drafts, etc but I'm sure rancer would have no problem helping you if you needed clarification on rules.

An astonishing season at Ipswich! I don't think I've ever seen that many league goals scored in a season before! :eek:

As for the move to NY, it's a great step up. I just wish you good luck with the rules over there ;). I'm still not sure about the rules on drafts, etc but I'm sure rancer would have no problem helping you if you needed clarification on rules.

Thanks... I think I'm going to need some help with these rules. I've got to grips with most of them, but I'm dreading when all this drafting starts. I think rancer made a short guide on how they work, so I need to pop over to his thread soon to give that a read.

72000160.png

New York Red Bulls - 2017 Mid-Season Update

MLS - 1st

NewYorkRedBullsFixtures_Fixtures.png

My first game was against Portland.

It's been the perfect start to life in The Big Apple as we've won every game under my management. I'll be honest and say I've had to do very little work with this team as the previous manager got us to the top of the table before being sacked, but I have implemented the same tactics I used at Ipswich and so far the outcome has been the same... lot's of goals. There's still some way to go and we also have the US Open Cup to think about, but at this stage a spot in the playoff is looking very secure.

Also for those who are unfamiliar with the structure in the US, although the league is split into two different sections, Eastern and Western conference, sides from both play each other two times a season which is why there are 34 games in a regular season.

I'm totally confused by the rules aswell, probably the one thing thats always stopped me going there.

The same reason for me too :(. I know rancer, cerud and a few other FMCU users would be more than happy to help but it's just the one place where my European footballing brain cannot come to terms with the US rules of "soccer" ;)

Looks like you'r having no problem though roganp :thup:. The goals are flying in!

Great start to your time in New York! Also, if you have any questions about MLS or the New York team, let me know. The Metro in my username is for the MetroStars, who became the Red Bulls in 2006.

Thanks, will do :)

ViolettevNewYorkInformation_Overview.png

NewYorkvVioletteInformation_Overview.png

Poor Violette from Haiti. I didn't actually know were in this years CONCACAF Champions League until the draw for the preliminary round was made. Now we've got through that we will come up against Alajuelense(Costa Rica), Atlas(Mexico) and Tauro(Panama) in the group stages.

The way we are playing at the moment I can't see them posing much of a threat ;)

Well I've done that CL in my journeyman save and nearly every season I was there the four semi-finalists were all from Mexico, but hopefully you'll do better than the AI sides

Well I've done that CL in my journeyman save and nearly every season I was there the four semi-finalists were all from Mexico, but hopefully you'll do better than the AI sides

I hope so. We've started off great, beating Alajuelense 6-2 away.

You seem quite good for progressing through the group stages :thup:

Yeah, we are looking very strong at the moment and have just won our second game against Tauro 3-0. Atlas should provide a bit more of a challenge, but I'm still confident of beating them fairly comfortably.

72000160.png

New York Red Bulls - 2017 Season Review(Joined 11 games into the season)

MLS - 1st in Eastern Conference, 1st in Overall Table

As I've mentioned several times, I arrived with the club in a very strong position at the top of the Eastern Conference and I was able to continue the good work of the previous manager. With the implementation of my attacking style of play we were completely dominant, dropping just 7 points in the 23 remaining games. As a reward for coming 1st in the overall table we were given the Supporter's Shield.

In the Eastern Conference Semi-Final we were drawn against one of the wild card sides Philadelphia Union, a tie that turn't out to be completely one-sided as we won the 1st leg 0-4 before confirming our place in the Eastern Conference final with a 4-1 win in the 2nd leg. Sporting Kansas City managed to give us a much tougher game in the final, taking us to extra time, but with fatigue setting in and an extra man advantage we proved far too strong and won the game 3-1

Now, finally onto the overall final. Us vs San Jose to decide who would be the 2017 MLS champions. I was full of confidence in the build up to the game, until about a week before the final when bad news was delivered to my inbox. Star man Michael Joseph was to miss the game because of international duty with Nigeria and you will see why this was such bad news when you get to the key players part of this review. Still, we had a massive game to play and I was still confident of delivering the clubs first MLS title, but obviously less confident about doing it without the focal point of our attack in the side. His absence from the team unfortunately showed as without him we lacked a cutting edge and in the 111th minute of the game we were cruelly punished as Brazilian forward Afonso netted his second of the match to make it 3-2 to San Jose. A goal that proved the winner.

CONCACAF Champions League 2017/18 - Into the Quarter-Finals

Our continental quest has gotten off to a fantastic start as after thrashing Haitian side Violette, we topped our group with a 100% record to progress to the Quater-Finals which will take place during the next MLS season.

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup - Finalists

As the cup holders we were expected to do well in this competition and after 3 very easy tie's we found ourselves in the final once again. The final was pretty even, we had a large number of shots at goal however, we failed to create a single clear cut chance and one goal from Seattle was enough to secure the trophy for them.

Squad

Transfers

Out of all the signings made, only Bobby Boswell, Zarek Valentin and Damian Perez were signed by me.

Finances

Key Players

Michael Joseph - A truly sensational season for the young forward. By far the best player I've managed on this save so far. The league's top goalscorer this season by a country mile and he has now become the New York Red Bulls all-time top goalscorer with an astonishing 65 goals in just 69 games for the club.

Jonathan Gallardo - Naturally a full-back, but I decided to use him in the AMR role and he showed how well he can play in that position topping the league's assist table. I'm not sure if he deserves to be on £47,500 p/w though.

Aleksander Noskovic - A fantastic début season for the Serbian winger as he contributed many goals and assists.

Zarek Valentin - Gallardo's promotion to further up the pitch meant I was in need of a new right full-back and Valentin proved to an excellent aquisition.

Nick LaBrocca - The experience head in the midfield and he had a fantastic season.

Year       Team              Country    League                     Position   Important Notes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/2012 Boston United England Blue Square Bet North 14th Joined the club in March 2012
2012/2013 Boston United England Blue Square Bet North 2nd Playoff Semi-Finalists
2013/2014 Boston United England Blue Square Bet North 1st Promoted!, FA trophy Finalists
2014/2015 Boston United England Blue Square Bet Premier 15th FA Trophy Winners!
2015/2016 Boston United England Blue Square Bet Premier 1st Promoted as league champions, FA Trophy Winners
2016/2017 Ipswich Town England npower League One 1st Promoted as League Champions
2017 New York RB USA MLS 1st Joined 1.6.2017, MLS cup and Open Cup finalists, S Shield winners[/Code]

[b][i]Next Season[/i][/b]

In what may be seen as a slightly knee-jerk reaction, a couple of days after our defeat in the MLS cup final I decided the hand in my resignation and step down as the manager of the New York Red Bulls. As much as I've tried, I just can't adjust to the structure and rules of the MLS, so I feel it's best that I move on and head back to Europe.

So, I am now on the look out for a new job. I received a very tempting offer to become the new manager of Southampton, but I decided to turn it down as I don't want to go back to England so soon after leaving. Hopefully wherever I go, Michael Joseph will be able to join me :D

So, even with a season in MLS under your belt you still struggled to adjust to the rules of soccer? I think if I spent 10 seasons in MLS I still wouldn't understand the rules! (Sorry rancer but no matter how hard I try I just can't wrap my head around the rules).

Will be interesting to see which European country you've moved back to.

1556.png

Dundee-United--Tannadice-Park-CLUB_1077155.jpg

Tannadice Park

14,223 All-Seater Capacity

Brief club information

Dundee United Football Club is a Scottish professional football club located in the city of Dundee. Formed in 1909, originally as Dundee Hibernian, the club changed to the present name in 1923.

United are nicknamed The Terrors or The Tangerines and the supporters known The Arabs.

The club has played in tangerine kits since the 1960s and have played at the present ground, Tannadice Park, since their foundation in 1909. United were founder members of the Scottish Premier League (SPL) in 1998 and have been ever-present in the competition since then.

Domestically, the club has won the Scottish Premier Division on one occasion, winning the Scottish Cup twice and the Scottish League Cup twice. In European competition, the club played in European competition for the first time in the 1966–67 season, going on to appear in European competition in 14 successive seasons from 1976, reaching the European Cup semi-finals in 1984 and the UEFA Cup final in 1987, but lost on both occasions. Uniquely, the club has a 100% record against Barcelona in competitive European ties. Taken from wikipedia

[video=youtube;ylIAd-Y4AKU]

Previous League Finishes

Information General

Club Facilities

Current Squad

2017/18 SPL League Table

First Impressions

This is a great challenge for me. I've always wanted to have a go at breaking up the Celtic/Rangers dominance, although nowadays it's just Celtic dominating(won 6 of the last 7 SPL titles). My first task as the Dundee Utd manager will be to try and reduce the wage budget as we already 9k over. Luckily, I've joined right at the end of the season and will have a full pre-season to re-shape the squad how I want it.

You need to get Joseph into the FMCU Dream Team thread. Absolutely totally frickin' awesome dude! :D
I second what AK22 said!
I third what AK said! Gotta be the best striker in FMCU at the minute.

He's been submitted :D

Unfortunately there's no chance of him joining me in Scotland, he's recently signed for PSG for £2M :(

I can understand European managers not fully grasping North American sports mainly because of how the whole trading and draft systems is in all North American sports. It would definitely be a foreign concept. I grew up with it in being a lifelong NHL fan (that's hockey, eh? ;) ) and draft day as well as the trade deadline in March are pretty much considered holidays in Canada...well, at least for me they are!

I guess the best way to think of trades would be...the European system is more capitalist (ironically) as palyers are bought for money. The North American system is barter and trade as players are traded for other players and other assets.

Great season at NY. Suprised you stepped down when you did. Already in quarters of CL so thought you might try and win that before moving on. GL at Dundee Utd, hope there's another Joseph waiting to be discovered
Good luck in Dundee - I didn't expect to see you leave New York so soon.

Thanks guys :)

I would have liked to have stayed at New York longer, but unfortunately I couldn't adjust to the rules over there. Staying probably would have made the save less enjoyable for me, so it was for the best that I moved on.

Archived