FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

Something's gone incredibly RIGHT with my latest Toon save...

Pld 13, Won 12, Drn 1, Lst 0, GF 37, GA 7...

... I don't believe it... there's no stopping us! The only points dropped all season were at Old Trafford, where 2 Rooney penalties saw Man Utd come back from 2-0 down. Grr. Still... the lads are only 3 points above Man Utd, and Man Utd don't appear as though their run is about to end any time soon. I am playing a flat 4-4-2 like this...

My most satisfying first almost-half-a-season EVER! And I've owned every FM in the series...

...oh, and we also beat Arsenal 6-0. If I knew what I was doing right (except rather luckily avoiding injuries to key players thus far), I'd tell you all, but to be quite honest I haven't a clue how the team are performing so well. I am, however, enjoying it. A lot :)

That's great! The brilliance of managing this side is that you have a lot of core pieces in place and you can tweak it well within the first six weeks to get pretty close to your future vision. Happy for you ... nice to see that its been a rewarding sesaon! I noticed you kept Best around ... how's he been for you? He had a hat trick in once match for me and put 2 in when they were needed most. Thinking about slowing down the paper work on his transfer for a bit.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't get Demba Ba to perform particularly consistently for me, but that may be more down to a failing of my tactic than anything else. Certainly some of the lads on here got him playing great guns in the first season, so probably worth persevering with. I was generally playing him on his own upfront, and maybe he didn't get enough support.

Jonas is a bit decptive, he plays better than he looks in FM I find. Can do a good job as an Inside Forward cutting in from the left side, or as a Defensive Winger on either flank. Either way he generally plays well enough that I'd concentrate on other areas before looking for more wingers. He has struggled to get into the side in my second season, but he was one of our best players in the first.

All good advice here ... one thing I would add is don't look at Obertan's stats in the game, just play him from time to time. He's much better than he looks. Think a lot of it has to do with his pace. Just give him a run out before you process his paper work. Like many here I went the Wilfried route for a striker and all I can say is I would do it again in a heart beat. 2.5m transfer with a 10-12k salary and goals won't be an issue for you. Plays well at the top of the 4231 and can manage both sides of the 442 attack. Speaking of Ba, had a lot of success using him as a left wing in combo with Jonas when I had Wilfried/Sturridge up top. Enjoy the save! BTW, what's the real word on Adam Campbell? In my save he looks like he could be a real star of the future for the toon. People think that he's got a bright future irl?

So .... started my newcastle save...

TRANSFERS SO FAR... :

newcastletransfershisto.png

as you can see, ive spent quite a lot , and managed to rid the club of some overpayed aging and talentless garbage .. NUFC legends excluded of course..

the big signing so far being Alex Frei, the experienced aging striker still has a few years in him, and although risky given his injury proneness and not great physicals.. i feel his ridiculous technicals and mental attributes will make up for it... he's very much in the 'feed him and he will score' mould.. the only issue will be providing him the balls..

ALEXANDER FREI

alexanderfreioverviewat.png

18 finishing, 18 composure.. decisions, concentration, off the ball, long shot, heading... immense

I think the other buys are pretty well known, but if anyone has any questions or wants a screenie, please just let me know ..

:)

will update after window closes and season has begun

well, first friendly has been played.... i cancelled all the friendlies already made and decided to test myself against some top teams with the added extra of bringing in around £500k each game...

well... my first was against a full strength Bayern side...

newcastlevfcbayerninfor.png

an AMAZING display from my side, particularly Gutierrez and Frei who the opposition couldnt handle at all..

That's great! The brilliance of managing this side is that you have a lot of core pieces in place and you can tweak it well within the first six weeks to get pretty close to your future vision. Happy for you ... nice to see that its been a rewarding sesaon! I noticed you kept Best around ... how's he been for you? He had a hat trick in once match for me and put 2 in when they were needed most. Thinking about slowing down the paper work on his transfer for a bit.

Best is around for emergency cover basically, as well as Lovenkrands. Neither have featured much and I would accept any bid for either. I plan to offload them both in January and see if I can get a good poacher to fill Sturridge's place once his loan expires. Moussa Sow seems the most likely target, but I imagine I'd need to get another striker next season to cover any absence during the African Nations.

Diouf has been the surprise package. He's not exactly consistent but he is always a threat, and always managed to score in the big games.

Just beat Liverpool at St. James's and Man Utd lost to Stoke so I now have a 6 point gap over them. I might need it as I am fast approaching the busy winter spell, but after my next game (Man City), I see no obvious threats other than fitness throughout the squad.

Colo and Taylor have each received a one match ban in successive games. Williamson does not seem to perform well enough in their absence, so I will probably be looking to improve there. And I also have to address the glaring gap in midfield (Tiote and Diarra) during the African Nations. I could probably manage without one of them, but both of them being out really messes up my plans. Demba Ba I can probably manage without, too.

2nd season just finished - and what a season!

Won the trible - PL, FA & League Cup.

Knocked out in 2nd round in CL against Lyon. They got 2 penaltys at home - we got 1 denied - they won 5-4 aggregate. Beside that we we're dominating!

113.png

Best player:

damiao.png

Mbiwa was brilliant on the defence too!

Thinking about selling Tiote and Wilfried - they both was injured at bit, and i hate to be without them in january/february.

Anyone had any luck developing Adam Campbell yet?
2 goals in 2 games for me, but that's it. got his physical stats improving pretty well and he's on loan in the championship at the mo (I'm near the end of second season). Should be ready for more games in season 3 as long as he has a good tutor.

@Hamzterz That's an incredible season! Damiao absolutely ripped up defences by the looks of things.

How much did you get him for?

Paid £16.5M in january first season (over 18 months i think). The first half season he was a bit on/off, scoring 4 goals in his debut, and then none in 5 games. But since then he's been absolutely amazing!

@welshace

some interesting transfer moves there, I looked at Xulu in the first season, but couldn't squeeze the budget to get him at the time. Frei' s an oldie but a goodie, if he plays for you the way I saw him playing for Basle in the Champs League he should be very useful buy. :thup:

@Hamzterz and @Trilo_G

Looks like great seasons there lads, congrats

Anyone had any luck developing Adam Campbell yet?

Im going to have a go a developing him. should be a lethal poacher if trained correctly. As im typing this, just saw Raul on a free! 19 determination and 20 influence. Hello tutor!

I think that the seasons are unlimited, I've seen someone pass the 2100 mark on FM11.

I would believe that a large database would cover those players, maybe with the usual leagues loaded. I think you mean Llama? I'm not too sure about him but I think he plays in Italy.

Could someone PLEASE Tell me what leagues to load to get these players: Shaqiri, Wilfried, Damiao, Sturridge, Tshabalala, Llana (Spelling!), Mbiwa?

Much Appriciated!!!

The first four should be covered by having a large database or most of the European top leagues plus Brazil. I have the South African league loaded so the likes of Tshabalala are available.

NEWCASTLE SEASON TWO REVIEW.

In the second season Newcastle done the double of the Premier League and the Champions League.

In the domestic cups I fielded teams with a mixture of reserve and youth team players, we got knocked out early in both cups after poor peformances against Wigan and Norwich.

PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE.

nufcepltableendofseason.jpg

IN THE CUPS.

Community Shield. Newcastle 3-1 Chelsea.

FA cup 5th round. Norwich City 1-0 Newcastle.

Carling cup 4th round. Wigan 2-1 Newcastle.

Champions League final. Newcastle 2-1 Real Madrid.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FIXTURES.

nufcchampionsleaguefixt.jpg

THE SQUAD.

nufcsquadendofseason2.jpg

PLANS FOR NEXT SEASON.

We have already agreed to sign Marko Marin and Shinji Kagawa on Bosman free transfers. I am tempted to bring in transfer listed Mario Balotelli and Andy Carroll and my big signing could be Gareth Bale who is in the Tottenham reserves and has only played ten Premier League games this season after Spurs have accepted my £22.5m bid.

I am going to try and sell Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse who are both massively injury prone, along with Fraser Forster, Luuk De Jong and I will try so sell Sylvain Marveaux if Palermo don't take up the option to buy him for £5m when his loan finishes. I wil also try to sell some of the fringe players if I can.

Ken Feckin Hodcroft!

MarkStewartNews_Inbox-4-1.png

This guy seems to be following me around on FM just to irritate me....he took over from Ashley on two FM11 saves, and provided precisely zilch in investment....and now here he comes again! :mad:

I have just got the same message about Ken Hodcroft although it will be Roberto Mancini that will be appointed the new manager if the takeover goes through :(.

Great season Col...is Wheeler Dealer Harry still in charge at Spurs, or has some other madman stuck Bale in the reserves?

Thanks Dandy, Harry Redknapp is at Everton so he must of got sacked, Alex McLeish is now the Spurs manager

Ken Feckin Hodcroft!

MarkStewartNews_Inbox-4-1.png

This guy seems to be following me around on FM just to irritate me....he took over from Ashley on two FM11 saves, and provided precisely zilch in investment....and now here he comes again! :mad:

He took over from Ashley on my FM11 save aswell. I didn't think he was too bad, seemed a tad more ambitious than Ashley and more willing to expand the backroom staff.

He took over from Ashley on my FM11 save aswell. I didn't think he was too bad, seemed a tad more ambitious than Ashley and more willing to expand the backroom staff.

He was pretty annoying on my saves, especially the first one. He promised investment in the takeover process, then once he was in charge revealed there wouldn't be any. Then in 3 seasons he actually reduced our transfer budget after the season started. Was pretty stingy on the wage front too despite the massive amounts of prize money we had coming in during that time.

Having said that he wasn't heading up a consortium on those occasions, so perhaps might not be so bad this time round if the deal goes through.

Pld 20, Won 19, Drn 1...

This is getting a little too easy! I have real worries over morale next season, as I am positive I could never create a run of results anywhere near as good as this again. I'd rather have had this kind of form later in the game to be honest...

January Transfers

Out: Elliot, R Taylor, Lovenkrands, Best

In: Kameni, Sow, Niang

Still looking for a holding midfielder, but my scouts reckon I have a very decent chance at grabbing Jack Rodwell from Everton for under £10m. I'd certainly trust him to fill the spot while the first-teamers are away, and its another young lad to concentrate on improving for the future, but there's a good chance I won't be able to afford him if my scouts are wrong.

On the other hand, the new signings so far have impressed. Sow scored a hard-earned debut hat-trick past Shay Given which impressed me a lot to say the least, and Kameni did well to keep a clean sheet on his debut in the same match (Newc 4-0 Villa. Sow, Sow, Sow, Diouf). Then followed an FA Cup match at Colchester. The overall team performance was poor, it must be said, but my beloved Toon continued their run after Niang scored the winner (Colch 1-2 Newc. Williamson, O'Toole, Niang).

Next we face Everton in the League Cup semi-final (first leg, at St. James's) with a fully fit squad aside from Kameni having just recovered from a cold. Everton aren't in the best of form and I will be fielding what I consider is my strongest possible team.

The only worry looming now is that in the second half of this season, nearly every 'big' team I play will be an away match. So far the only teams in the top 9 that I have played at their own grounds are Man Utd (2nd, 2-2) and Stoke (7th, 2-1), and the team have most definitely been more impressive at home than they have been away.

I know it won't last forever, and I expect to drop points heavily in the second half of the term, but I am really enjoying this while it lasts. Much like in real life, to be honest.

Update:

In Jan I signed Ramsey for £10m, Van Stegen for £2m and Shaqiri for £10m. I'm now 3 games away from the end of the season and I'm in the FA Cup Final against Man United. Got knocked out of the Champs League in the group stages and knocked out of Europa in the 2nd round. Sitting in 5th and am on course to qualify for the Champions League.

I've been offered Andy Carroll from L'pool for £10 mill. Should I re-sign him? I'm gonna get rid of Papis Cisse for a less injury prone and younger target man. Is Andy Carroll the man to help me to win the league over the next few years?

Been taken over by Ken Hodcroft and got offered the Chelsea job with £35m and I rejected it.

I'm assuming that's Aaron Ramsey you got for £10 million there, very good price for him :thup:

Managed to stop the rot of that bad run of form I take it :D

Yeah Aaron Ramsey :) couldn't resist with his potential. Has been quality for me.

After Jan I had a quality run of form and even managed to beat Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. My jobs now very secure :D

Yeah Aaron Ramsey :) couldn't resist with his potential. Has been quality for me.

After Jan I had a quality run of form and even managed to beat Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. My jobs now very secure :D

Congrats :thup:

As far as Carroll goes, £10 million is not a bad price for him, depends on whether you really use a targetman style striker. Not sure he's any less injury prone than Cisse either. Who else have you got upfront in the squad?

A super result there Dandy :D, Sow is certainly doing the business for you with all six goals :eek:.

The Ken Hodcroft consortium takeover bid has collapsed on my save :)

Definitely his best performance so far, not surprisingly he got a perfect 10 for his match rating.

Congrats :thup:

As far as Carroll goes, £10 million is not a bad price for him, depends on whether you really use a targetman style striker. Not sure he's any less injury prone than Cisse either. Who else have you got upfront in the squad?

I've got Christian Benitez, Asamoah Gyan and Daniel Sturridge - all poachers so I needed a target man. I decided to sign him.

Look at the FA Cup result. I was pessimistic going into penalties, my 5 best players at pens on the pitch were 15,11,11,9,9 and we were 2-1 down too :D

facupwin.jpg

By jlawlor91 at 2011-11-07

4 finals, 4 wins :)

I'm very, very tempted to start a Newcastle save, given their heroics in reality at the moment :thup:

I want to get Pardew's 4-4-2 to work as I never really have a chance to play with a good 4-4-2 formation; although, I have promised to make numerous saves [Arsenal, Dortmund, Juve] I might bump this save up the list :D

I'm very, very tempted to start a Newcastle save, given their heroics in reality at the moment :thup:

I want to get Pardew's 4-4-2 to work as I never really have a chance to play with a good 4-4-2 formation; although, I have promised to make numerous saves [Arsenal, Dortmund, Juve] I might bump this save up the list :D

Just do without sleep Llew, you'll find the time somewhere :p

Archived