FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of an update. I'm finally halfway through my second season. Well, mid December anyway. New signings have started to settle in, and our performances have been much more consistent than in the first season.

In the league, I'm currently sitting in 5th, 5 points away from the leaders. I've only lost 3 games all season, all away from home - Old Trafford, Anfield and Goodison Park. The match at Goodison was frustrating because I'd taken an early lead, but then Cheik M'Bengue decided to lunge in on Tim Cahill, leaving us with 10 men and little chance of holding our lead. My top league scorer, though, is Jay Rodriguez. It took him a few matches, but once he found his scoring boots he's bagged 6 in his last 5 matches. Shaqiri is also coming into his own too as a replacement for Obertan, who joined Chelsea for £15m in August!

Cups are looking good too. In the UEFA cup, I'm sitting top of my group after 5 games, winning 3 but losing 2. It'd take some sort of miracle score in the final game for me to get knocked out now, so I'm planning on giving a few of the youths a run out and maybe a little tactical experiment. Oh, my top scorer in Europe is Ryan Shawcross :D

I'm also into the quarter final of the League cup after knocking Chelsea out at Stamford Bridge. Surprisingly the quarter final is to be played on Boxing Day, and I'm at home to the league leaders, Arsenal.

I can feel another trophy being added to the collection this season, I just dont know which one it'll be yet.

Update:

Just finished my second season. Spent a large amount in January on Shawcross, Papadopolous, Adam Johnson and Alex Sandro. All 4 signing proved to be quality, with Papadopolous probably being my best signing on FM to-date.

Carling Cup: Knocked out by Arsenal in 4th round

FA Cup: Knocked out by Man United in quarters

Europa League: Knocked out by Real Madrid in semis

Premier League: Finished 4th, qualifying for Champions League

My main problem now is spending within a budget. Over 48 months has hit me hard so I only have £9 mill to spend.

Since Steve Harper is retiring at the end of the season, any suggestions on a good replacement keeper?

EDIT - Holy crap Sevilla just offered me 21mill$ for Cabaye :| 16.5 spread over 20 months....wondering if I should take it...

Halfway through 2nd season things are looking good.

Currently at top of the league along with Man U and Spurs 4 points behind us. In CL we'll meet Lyon.

Damiao and Wilfried is doing a great job up front, along with a danish newgen i found - 26 years old.

Ba was sold to Juve for £10M.

Shaquiri and Ben Arfa on the flanks, with Obertan and Mollo as backup.

Bought Vrsaljo for the right back and Yanga-Mbiwa as all around.

Mbiwa is playing brilliantly - so now i dont know to play him along with Vertonghen or Alderweireld...

Santon and Tioté isnt playing as good as i hoped for. Santon is backup, as Vrsaljo is impressing. Maybe I'll sell him in the end of the season.

Bought Marc-Andre ter Stegen - and he is pure class! Krul is now backup.

Signed Flamini, Poli and Gibson on free, but Flamini hasnt impressed me - so I'll ship him to Wolves for around £7.75M when we reach january.

Maybe ill sell Tioté also, if I can find a decent replacement.

Just into January season 1 now, should have an update later this morning :)

Btw, Steven Taylor is actually unreal! 8 MotM awards in 20 appearances, having just played an absolute blinder against Blackburn completely taking Yakubu out of the match. Looking at his stats Yakubu had 6 touches of the ball in the 78 minutes he was on, all thanks to me putting Taylor on specific man marking him :)

Hamzterz - How much did ter Stegen cost you?

Since Steve Harper is retiring at the end of the season, any suggestions on a good replacement keeper?

EDIT - Holy crap Sevilla just offered me 21mill$ for Cabaye :| 16.5 spread over 20 months....wondering if I should take it...

Defintely don't do it....at least not for that fee. I've rejected 16 million upfront bids for him already. So you could probably get a much better fee for him.

Update:

Just finished my second season. Spent a large amount in January on Shawcross, Papadopolous, Adam Johnson and Alex Sandro. All 4 signing proved to be quality, with Papadopolous probably being my best signing on FM to-date.

Carling Cup: Knocked out by Arsenal in 4th round

FA Cup: Knocked out by Man United in quarters

Europa League: Knocked out by Real Madrid in semis

Premier League: Finished 4th, qualifying for Champions League

My main problem now is spending within a budget. Over 48 months has hit me hard so I only have £9 mill to spend.

How much did you have to pay for Papadopolous Lawly?

Oh for God's sake! I've only went and made a huge mistake, just when Sturridge was coming into form too. When I got him on loan I musn't have looked properly and only got him for 6 months, and now Chelsea won't let him go for the rest of the season :'(

Oh for God's sake! I've only went and made a huge mistake, just when Sturridge was coming into form too. When I got him on loan I musn't have looked properly and only got him for 6 months, and now Chelsea won't let him go for the rest of the season :'(

Ouch...that's a sore one.

Talking of sore and Daniel Sturridge, a year after I had him on loan I got Sturridge on a free, and he played a couple of seasons here, yet his form was not that great, so I let him go for £4m. And now he has 4 in 4 for Bolton in the league.

71203083.png

However, I can't complain too much when I have started off so well with this guy.

83080926.png

As for this the start of my 5th season I've played 4, won 2, drawn 1 and lost 1. My side seems to perform best with this formation. The sub bench varies a bit depending on form and fitness. Meireles and Carrick were brought in last minute on free's as I needed some depth in the centre mid position and had no money.

94029319.png

I sometimes play Catalan in centre back with Santon in right-back. Dossena and Van Aanholt are just cover, and Williamson is in his last year of contract, won't be renewing, he is nowhere near the standard of the others.

Everton is another good youngster, he's 21, but Juventus offered to loan him for £2m with a future fee of £12m, and for that money I can't complain, I could find a suitable replacement if they do buy him. He's short of the potential to play to the standard of Perugini.

@AdamDK

I see you managed to get hold of Jack Wilshere, I've been having no joy trying to unsettle him at Arsenal...and now he's back in their first team with his value soaring.

I managed to get him for £3m in the 2014-2015 season. He has a release clause of £14.5m and some clubs have been interested, Man Utd one of them, but non of them have met the release clause, any offers less than that I reject. I think he was unsettled at Arsenal when i bought him, on the transfer list by request.

Defintely don't do it....at least not for that fee. I've rejected 16 million upfront bids for him already. So you could probably get a much better fee for him.

Yea I blew them off. Then Chelsea came stomping and activated Bassong's release clause :/ With a week left on the Jan transfer window I had to go running around to look for a decent CB. Ended up buying Roland Juhasz who I've used on FM10 and 11. I've made a max offer of 20million for ter Stegen with no luck. Will try again after end of season.

I have decent amount of transfer funds still left and I am waiting for end of season relegated fire sales :p

EDIT - Transfers so far

44289992.jpg

January Update

Finally made it to the end of January in season 1! Sitting 5th in the Premiership with 41 points from 20 games, 6 points behind 4th place Arsenal but we have 2 games in hand. After losing top scorer Daniel Sturridge (10 goals in 18 games) I've had to rely on Demba Ba to provide the goals, which he's started to do on a more regular basis than before and now has 4 in his last 4 games. We're through the League Cup final after beating holders Birmingham City in the semi's, Chelsea await us at Wembley. And in the FA Cup we have a trip to Craven Cottage in the 4th round.

I made 3 signings in the transfer window, firstly securing the signing of Belgian whizkid Kevin De Bruyne for a bargain £1.6m. My 2nd signing was Wigan's Mohamed Diame for £3.1m to provide much needed cover for Tiote in DM. Finally I arranged the signing of Thiago Neves who will arrive in the summer, possibly not needed judging by Gutierrez and now De Bruyne's performances, but I just couldn't resist on a free :)

End of Second Season Review

Well, this season went a lot better than the previous, winning three out of four of the competitions I was competing in, and getting into the final of the other. Unfortunately, it was the Champions League in which I failed, which was a fairy tale story in itself, however after giving it our all we fell at the last hurdle, losing 1-0 to Man Utd. Considering i would have been happy with getting to the last sixteen after recieving the group I had, I'm happy with our journey, and it gives us something to go for next season. Winning the domestic treble isn't half bad anyway.

clfixtures1213.jpg

table1213.jpg

I managed to win the league on the final game of the season, as I lost my game in hand over Spurs 1-0 to Man City, meaning I was a point behind with one game left. Luckily they lost to Man Utd 2-1 while I beat Wolves 1-0, meaning that the Premier League trophy was coming to St James'.

transfers1213.jpg

playerstats1213.jpg

Stand out players would be Paloschi who went on a fantastic run of form, scoring more goals than appearances in the league, and Granero was a fantastic signing for only £2m, putting Ben Arfa out the team. Krul put in some very good performances in goal and had a good centre back partnership in front of him in Shawcross and Vertonghen, who both can only get better. Cabaye was amazing as usual getting the most assists in the league and also a fair few screamers as well, winning himself player's player of the year. Griezmann, Shaqiri and Johnson all rotated on the wings and came in with their fair share of goals and assists, stepping in nicely when my stikers weren't performing. Griezmann also managed to get player's young player of the year, with Shaqiri finishing second.

The aim is to sign a striker who will consistently bag the goals for me, as although Bangoura and Paloschi had good runs, neither of them were consistent with both of them falling off the pace at the end of the season when I needed it most. I also need to get rid of a fair few who I don't see in my plans, so unless I sign a striker for an amazing amount of money I can see myself making profit in the transfer window, which will please Mike Ashley.

January Update

Finally made it to the end of January in season 1! Sitting 5th in the Premiership with 41 points from 20 games, 6 points behind 4th place Arsenal but we have 2 games in hand. After losing top scorer Daniel Sturridge (10 goals in 18 games) I've had to rely on Demba Ba to provide the goals, which he's started to do on a more regular basis than before and now has 4 in his last 4 games. We're through the League Cup final after beating holders Birmingham City in the semi's, Chelsea await us at Wembley. And in the FA Cup we have a trip to Craven Cottage in the 4th round.

I made 3 signings in the transfer window, firstly securing the signing of Belgian whizkid Kevin De Bruyne for a bargain £1.6m. My 2nd signing was Wigan's Mohamed Diame for £3.1m to provide much needed cover for Tiote in DM. Finally I arranged the signing of Thiago Neves who will arrive in the summer, possibly not needed judging by Gutierrez and now De Bruyne's performances, but I just couldn't resist on a free :)

Good job on persuading Neves to sign. I tried to get him but at that point my wage budget wouldn't stretch enough to quite pay what his agent wanted and he broke off talks with us. When I was in a better position to offer him a deal, his Agent wouldn't even open talks.

Irritating. However I now have Nicolas Gaitan, so worked out alright in the end.

@AdamDK

Quite a pasting you gave Chelsea there, nice to see your Italian regen living up to his seeming potential.

@Scott1892

Some season you had there :thup: I had Griezmann at Stoke on FM11 and he was an absolute goal machine for a winger. Finished one season as our top scorer with 23 in the league at one point.

Yeah it is Dandy, he has been incredible. October has been a great month this season, just take a look at this.

78588992.png

A shame I came 2nd in Manager of the Month.

I've only played 8 games as well in the Prem, got two games in hand, so if I can win those hopefully I'll be top/2nd if I can keep up my current form.

Currently in the 3rd season, about 5 games in and we've not won. Qualified for the group stages of the CL after battering Lille in both legs. However my fixture list for the Prem was horrendous -

Aston Villa (A)

Man Utd (H)

Man City (A)

Arsenal (H)

Spurs (A)

Liverpool (H)

Everton (A)

Currently in the 3rd season, about 5 games in and we've not won. Qualified for the group stages of the CL after battering Lille in both legs. However my fixture list for the Prem was horrendous -

Aston Villa (A)

Man Utd (H)

Man City (A)

Arsenal (H)

Spurs (A)

Liverpool (H)

Everton (A)

Nice cushy start to the season eh :eek:

Who did you slag off at the FA in a press conference then?

If you can find him then GUILLERMO OCHOA is always a goalkeeper I for but he isn't listed in America Mex 2012 in my game :(

just finished first season finished 6th and won the league cup.... first time ave ever won anything in first season! just starting pre season now and got 9m to spend come on the toon! any ideas on a good forward to sign! had sturridge on loan last season! but rather sign one this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just finished first season finished 6th and won the league cup.... first time ave ever won anything in first season! just starting pre season now and got 9m to spend come on the toon! any ideas on a good forward to sign! had sturridge on loan last season! but rather sign one this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilfried seems to be a popular signing on here, Moussa Sow and Alberto Paloschi have done a good job for me. If you're willing to spend big spread over 48 months then there's Damiao.

Just got spanked 5-0 by Everton and sit in 17th. That cruel fixture list has ruined my morale and confidence of the players, I hope Newcastle keep the faith as I didn't take the Spurs job.

Yikes, looks like a real horror run, hope you can pull the squad together and get back on track. Surely you've got some easier games coming up soon? (well on paper at any rate)

Anyone have any suggestions for a possible feeder club? Apparently the board are going to allow me to pick it... I was hoping for one were I can send my youngsters and they'll get competitive first team action! Work permit wouldn't go a miss either! Suggestions my good people!

nice job guys! i'm really surprised that you can finish top 4 the table. i just finished my friendlies. After looking at the players you recommended, i'm pondering if i should start a new save. My transfer policy will remain the same as real life keeping transfer fund small and limiting the wages. Btw do you guys assign tutor for youngster? how do i know if one is a good tutor for another?

Anyone have any suggestions for a possible feeder club? Apparently the board are going to allow me to pick it... I was hoping for one were I can send my youngsters and they'll get competitive first team action! Work permit wouldn't go a miss either! Suggestions my good people!

Not sure what the situation is with Work Permit Feeder clubs this time round, read somewhere that there's a problem with Belgian feeder clubs as the player has to be resident in Belgium for the full three years to get their permit....and you can only send them on season long loans, so each summer they return the counter resets on the days to gain nationality.

I haven't made any moves on finding a feeder club yet, but I'll be looking for one during the summer. Usually start with a decent lower league side to farm out some of the reserves to, or an SPL club possibly.

Done 2 in the last month. Played at home to West Ham and lost 2-1, just drew 0-0 to 10 man Wolves. Never been so mad, I've hardly changed the team around from last season!

Have you tried any tactical changes to try and keep it tight till you get a little more morale in the squad? (I'm assuming you've probably tried several, but just checking)

Wow! The past 1½ month has been fantastic! We're now 11 points clear of United & Arsenal. Spurs is massive 21 points after us!

25 games played, and we're looking to secure the title!

Bought Welbeck and Adam Johnson in january. Welbeck was meant to be 4th choice in the attack, but 4 goals and 2 assist in 4 games - and matchwinner against United at OT(!!!) - has proved otherwise.

Just finished season 1 and im pretty pleased with the league performance finishing 4th only behind the 2 Manchesters and Arsenal.

leagueend.png

The team did really well over the whole season tbh and im not looking to strengthen in too many areas. Maybe another left-back as when injuries hit, we were shrt in the full-back positions. I am also looking to nail down which formation I will play with between 442 and 4231. 442 allows Ba and Wilfried to play in their best positions where they have formed and excellent partnership. On the other hand, 4231 allows either Ben Arfa or Vuckic to play a pivotal role in each game as neither are as effective from another position. Vuckic can slot in upfront aand Ben Arfa on the right but I dont see them being as effective as they are in AMC. I may sell Modise although he looked good when he played as I have quite a few people who can play CM/CAM who i prefer to use. Lallana will probably also leave although maybe just on loan as i feel he could be good if given a chance.

teamol.png

The youngster who has improved the most in my opinion is Gosling. He would definitely be first choice if it wasn't for Tiote. Maybe he could be first choice at right-back although he is excellent in CM.

gosling.png

Also, I was awarded Manager of the year, which is always nice :)

Thought I'd give an update here on my 5th season now as it is January. I've found that at home a 4-1-2-2-1 formation has worked great for me. Shaqiri on the right wing, Wilshere on the left and Perugini up front. Away I've been using a 4-3-1-2 formation. Cabaye, Tiote and Ramires have formed a solid midfield combination and I have Carrick and a youngster called Robbie Ramasut who is looking fairly promising rotating in that role.

As far as goals go Renzo Perugini has been fantastic, 20 goals in 15 games in the prem, 22 goals in 22 games in all competitions.

League standings

72362341.png

I'm through to the semi-final of the League Cup and also the first knockout round of the Europa League, dominating my group with 5 wins and 1 draw.

Europa League

25733421.png

I intend to finish this season in a champions league qualifying spot, win the League Cup, and I'd love to win the F.A. Cup and Europa League but with the tiredness that the fixture congestion from these tournaments and league games could cause, I'm not counting on winning those two.

Just going through preseason in season 3, so far have managed to sign Thiago for £4m and Rodwell for £15m, I just need to sign a top quality striker to play upfront on their own and compete with Paloschi. Preferably to play as a poacher, most of the strikers I've seen recommended have gone elsewhere, and Neymar and Cavani don't want to sign for me. Any ideas?

Just going through preseason in season 3, so far have managed to sign Thiago for £4m and Rodwell for £15m, I just need to sign a top quality striker to play upfront on their own and compete with Paloschi. Preferably to play as a poacher, most of the strikers I've seen recommended have gone elsewhere, and Neymar and Cavani don't want to sign for me. Any ideas?

I'm still only in the second season, been away for a few days so haven't had the chance to play FM since Wednesday really. Not sure which of the usual suspects might be available for you, have you checked out the likes of Niang to see how he's developed?

There's usually a surprise bargain or two to be had in the transfer list around the 3rd season as well. Otherwise what about the likes of Lucas Barios at Dortmund, Vaclav Kadlec, Mattia Destro, Robert Aquafresca or Khouma Babacar (not surely how highly rated he is compared to FM11 but he was an absolute monster on that)

Archived