FM2012: Newcastle United thread - Triumphing by brave defending.....well maybe!

DandyDon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished my second season, can't tell whether to be disappointed or proud...

Made it through to the quarter finals of the Europa League, drew 2-2 at home with AC Milan before getting battered 3-1 away to the San Siro (ended up 3-1 'cause I was bombing forward trying for the win and they countered).

Finished second in the PL, would have won it but when we managed to get ourselves top we lost a game to Everton 1-0 and dropped down to second. Despite winning my last two games (Spurs & Man City) we still finished a point behind Man Utd.

Just finished my second season, can't tell whether to be disappointed or proud...

Made it through to the quarter finals of the Europa League, drew 2-2 at home with AC Milan before getting battered 3-1 away to the San Siro (ended up 3-1 'cause I was bombing forward trying for the win and they countered).

Finished second in the PL, would have won it but when we managed to get ourselves top we lost a game to Everton 1-0 and dropped down to second. Despite winning my last two games (Spurs & Man City) we still finished a point behind Man Utd.

Ouch...unlucky there James, great effort though :thup:

Looks like I'm going to have to sadly wave goodbye to Jonas in the January window. He's looking for more first team action, but at the moment Johnson and Gaitan are in fantastic form. By the middle of November they both have almost as many assists already as our wingers managed in the whole of last season.

Johnson has 10 assists from his 13 appearances and Gaitan has 9 from 14. Last season it took Jonas 27 games to make 13 assists (and he had the highest number of any of our wingers last season). Can't justify dropping either of them in that kind of form just to keep someone else happy, and so I think I'll have to find Jonas another club before he starts disrupting the other players.

Already had Moussa Sow complaining on Marveaux's behalf. :rolleyes:

1st season- FA Cup winners (lucky run until liverpool in the final, tough 1-0 win though :D )

Finished 6th in the league and had the signing of the season for 825k!! Rasmus Falk, he kept Ben Arfa out of the team playing a 4-4-1-1. 86% pass completion and only 19, reminded me of an attacking Jack Wilshere

1st season- FA Cup winners (lucky run until liverpool in the final, tough 1-0 win though :D )

Finished 6th in the league and had the signing of the season for 825k!! Rasmus Falk, he kept Ben Arfa out of the team playing a 4-4-1-1. 86% pass completion and only 19, reminded me of an attacking Jack Wilshere

Sounds like you got yourself a bargain, who'd you pick him up from?

Whats Cabaye like? Newcastle have offered me him but are wanting £20m.

He's absolutely dishy and dreamy :p

or did you mean as a footballer? He's quality as a Deep Lying Playmaker, fantastic passing ability, always a threat from set plays and with long range shots. Been very reliable from the penalty spot too. Topped the league in assists for me last season, and very much a team player.

He's absolutely dishy and dreamy :p

or did you mean as a footballer? He's quality as a Deep Lying Playmaker, fantastic passing ability, always a threat from set plays and with long range shots. Been very reliable from the penalty spot too. Topped the league in assists for me last season, and very much a team player.

Worth £20m though?

Worth £20m though?

You might be able to talk them down a bit, but he's a player I would consider paying that for.

YohanCabayeOverview_Attributes-1.png

That's how he looks in the second season, not quite up there with the assists so far compared to last season, but that's mostly due to the fact that he's funnelling the ball out wide to our wingers who are making most of the assists so far.

How comes so much people playing with Newcastle are winning the league or coming 2nd or playing in Champions League , just seams a tad unrealistic, I don't think anyone is cheating, is it a fact that their repuation is big? Just wandering

I wonder this too, normally it takes me a couple of seasons before I can mount a serious title challenge. In my first season I kept trading 1st and 2nd place for a while, then performances dropped, finished 6th, won no cups. Second season won the carling cup, 3rd round out the FA Cup and came 14th in the league, and in my 3rd season now (early-December) I'm 8th.

How comes so much people playing with Newcastle are winning the league or coming 2nd or playing in Champions League , just seams a tad unrealistic, I don't think anyone is cheating, is it a fact that their repuation is big? Just wandering

Honestly, no idea...I put my second place finish last season down to a freak implosion on Man City and Chelsea's part. Whether that was down to a problem with the rating of their squads, or just a fluke I don't know.

However it has allowed me to invest well enough in the squad to be a lot more effective this season attacking wise. Not sure we're good enough defensively yet to keep it up for the whole season, we'll see.

I am about to start my save and I really think I am going to struggle to finish in top ten let along Champions League finish, but who knows, if you lot can achieve it I can too :) How about Nile Ranger and Samuel Ameobi, are they good prospects?

You might surprise yourself ;)

Young Sammy is a bright prospect if you can develop him....pretty miffed I lost him after first season.

Nile Ranger isn't as highly rated as previous versions of FM so I'd probably concentrate on Sammy out of the two.

Luck.

That, and the base squad has some damn good players who will perform well enough to bring you up the league provided you play to their strengths.

My agent reckoned I could get Jack Rodwell for around £9m in December '11... any truth in it?

and I'd still love to know if Sturridge will take a cut if he joins Newcastle... £60kpw+ is a bit steep for a 22 year old if you ask me...

I've managed to get him at the beginning of the third season on a free transfer as he refused to sign a new contract at Chelski. I'm paying him 45k/week but I doubt he'd take a paycut if you bought him.

My agent reckoned I could get Jack Rodwell for around £9m in December '11... any truth in it?

and I'd still love to know if Sturridge will take a cut if he joins Newcastle... £60kpw+ is a bit steep for a 22 year old if you ask me...

I had Sturridge on loan first year, he asked for too high wages 2nd season, then the 3rd season he was released and I managed to get him down to £56k per week, which is pretty damn steep still. So far he's on an overall total of 17 games, 6 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, but has been injured a couple of times.

Also to the guy asking about Cabaye, I'd happily pay £20m for him. He has been brilliant for me since the first season and is one of my best players this season. Overall total in all competitions (3rd season, up to the end of December now) of 24 games, 9 goals, including two penalties, both converted, 10 assists and 3 MoM's. Average rating of 7.40. A lot of money but he will become a key player.

I'm getting quite jealous of everyone who is finishing in the upper part of the league after first season. I'm currently struggling at 15th place in March with some serious injury troubles, referees who probably doesn't like Newcastle and extreme underperforming from basically everyone except S. Taylor, BUT just as he got back from his first injury he damages his back and when he recovers from that he breaks his leg. Poor lad :(

So when the season ends I will be looking for a goalie who ain't scared of the ball and some quality all around.

Oh and Marco Verratti is just as much a sweet signing as he always been, so okay 2 players who ain't underperforming ;)

Started my annual NUFC save yesterday and am in my 1st season around the 9th game or so. Thanks to those that have been posting in this thread as it's been most helpful in creating my side as well as fun to read.

Question for you all ... what leagues does your save have as loaded and which are playable? Thanks!

I had Sturridge on loan first year, he asked for too high wages 2nd season, then the 3rd season he was released and I managed to get him down to £56k per week, which is pretty damn steep still. So far he's on an overall total of 17 games, 6 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, but has been injured a couple of times.

Hmm... I might give it a shot if he gets released but it is still hefty... Moussa Sow accepted £28kpw on my demo, and my mate got Humberto Suazo on £32kpw...

I can get Mbaye Niang for £4m and he looks very tidy indeed, and would also be on less than a third of Sturridge's 50% loan wage percentage. Would he do a similar job?

Oh dear, some complacency seems to have set in after that result against Man Utd :(

We got turned over by CSKA Moscow in our next match, and then wasted a hatful of chances away at Fulham slumping to a 1-0 defeat. In our next home match we gifted Bolton a 2 goal head start inside 15 minutes. Despite bettering them for the remaining 75 minutes we could only manage to salvage a draw.

Not ideal preparation for our Boxing Day game against Sunderland.

Hmm... I might give it a shot if he gets released but it is still hefty... Moussa Sow accepted £28kpw on my demo, and my mate got Humberto Suazo on £32kpw...

I can get Mbaye Niang for £4m and he looks very tidy indeed, and would also be on less than a third of Sturridge's 50% loan wage percentage. Would he do a similar job?

Niang looks to be a class prospect I would snaffle him up for sure if you have the chance.

...So when the season ends I will be looking for a goalie who ain't scared of the ball and some quality all around.

Oh and Marco Verratti is just as much a sweet signing as he always been, so okay 2 players who ain't underperforming ;)

Carlos Kameni is is good as you'll get for £5.25m, but be prepared to lose him to the African Nations Cup for three weeks at the end of January.

I've never EVER (FM09 onwards IIRC) managed to get Verratti to perform well... what's the secret?

And yeah... Steven alway performs brilliantly for me, yet I see him underachieving on plenty of other saves. On FM11 he formed a partnership with Curtis Davies and between them, they were pretty much the main reason I managed to get into the Champions League following my second season. A lot of goals helped, but those two and Ben Foster helped me get the best goal difference in the Premier League, and the second best defensive record.

Worth not bothering with Sturridge on loan for the first season though? Would he be capable of achieving what Daniel could produce?

I doubt he'd produce the same results as Sturridge in the first season as he's so young, but if you have the chance to sign him permanently so early on I'd take it. He'll only get more expensive if he shows his potential.

He did in the demo. He got 13 goals in 4 apps for France under 20's. That's what drew my attention to him in the first place. I'll get both I think :). Going to have to structure a few deals to get some good cover but I was top of the league at the end of December on the demo. Only dropped 7 points in the league after 18 games (ManU 2 - 0 Newc, Chelsea 2 - 0 Newc, Newc 2 - 2 Liverpool) and one cup game (Newc 2 - 3 Bolton aet). Then, last game of the demo, I got hammered by Norwich at home and lost 2-0, but had Sow and Kameni incoming...

Sturridge was fantastic. Both he and Ba were in the top three scorers in the Premier League (Torres 9, Ba 9, Sturridge 8).

Started my annual NUFC save yesterday and am in my 1st season around the 9th game or so. Thanks to those that have been posting in this thread as it's been most helpful in creating my side as well as fun to read.

Question for you all ... what leagues does your save have as loaded and which are playable? Thanks!

Right then....let me see what I loaded up

South Africa (View Only) South Korean K-League (view only), Mexico (Promotion League and above), USA (MLS view only), Belgium (Pro League only), Denmark (view only), England...obviously, France (CFA and above), Germany (2nd Division and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Holland (Jupiler League and above), Norway (view only), Poland (view only), Portugal (2nd League and above), Russia (First Division and above), Scotland (Third Division and above), Spain (Liga adelante and above), Sweden (1st Division and above), Argentina (Second division and above), and Brazil (Second Division and above)

Also have players of certain nationalities loaded as well.

cheers guys think i will try him then in my 4-4-2 with attacking wingers as a poacher then. on another note well pissed off with Colo. Wouldn't sign an extension for me for anything less than£100k but is now at blackburn and they are only paying in £37k!! I would have gave him that!

Carlos Kameni is is good as you'll get for £5.25m, but be prepared to lose him to the African Nations Cup for three weeks at the end of January.

I've never EVER (FM09 onwards IIRC) managed to get Verratti to perform well... what's the secret?

And yeah... Steven alway performs brilliantly for me, yet I see him underachieving on plenty of other saves. On FM11 he formed a partnership with Curtis Davies and between them, they were pretty much the main reason I managed to get into the Champions League following my second season. A lot of goals helped, but those two and Ben Foster helped me get the best goal difference in the Premier League, and the second best defensive record.

Thanks for the tip about Kameni, has forgot about him since 08-09 or when he was insane.

I play Verratti as a Deep Playing Playmaker or Offensive Playmaker depending on who is injured at the moment and it seems to suit him well :)

Yeah Steven is a great player and has always performed well regarding on opposition or partner.

Right then....let me see what I loaded up

South Africa (View Only) South Korean K-League (view only), Mexico (Promotion League and above), USA (MLS view only), Belgium (Pro League only), Denmark (view only), England...obviously, France (CFA and above), Germany (2nd Division and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Holland (Jupiler League and above), Norway (view only), Poland (view only), Portugal (2nd League and above), Russia (First Division and above), Scotland (Third Division and above), Spain (Liga adelante and above), Sweden (1st Division and above), Argentina (Second division and above), and Brazil (Second Division and above)

Also have players of certain nationalities loaded as well.

Thanks for the reply ... appreciate it!

You might surprise yourself ;)

Young Sammy is a bright prospect if you can develop him....pretty miffed I lost him after first season.

Nile Ranger isn't as highly rated as previous versions of FM so I'd probably concentrate on Sammy out of the two.

Would you send any of them on loan or do you think they will be best suited to playing with club to help their development. Also what about Vuckic, send him on loan or play him in reserves?

Would you send any of them on loan or do you think they will be best suited to playing with club to help their development. Also what about Vuckic, send him on loan or play him in reserves?

I brought Vukic and Abeid up into the First Team squad and have been giving them some games. I let Ranger go out on loan. Not sure what other folks have done with them so far.

Also hoping to blood young Adam Campbell at some point this season once he recovers from injury as he seems to be the biggest potential star out of the lot of them.

I brought Vukic and Abeid up into the First Team squad and have been giving them some games. I let Ranger go out on loan. Not sure what other folks have done with them so far.

Ranger I sold, as with Sammi Ameobi, both had decent potential ability but by the time they'd reach that ability I'm hoping the standard of my team is higher than that. As for Vuckic, he has remained in the reserves, with one loan, and Abeid was out on loan in the first season. He had a few games in the second season and has had some first time action this season as well. He's played pretty well, definitely will be a solid player when his potential has been reached.

On FM11 he was probably my best signing on my Gateshead save, for £500k and scoring over 40 goals from the AMC position in one season in the Premiership, and eventually helped me win it, playing him as an attacking midfielder (attack), and he only got into the team by Kenia getting injured for 3 months, never looked back after that.

Christ, busy weekend. Hardly had time to play! Halfway through pre-season now, and have finished almost all of my major signings...

Along with a bunch of regens (12 to be precise), I've decided to aim for English, home grown players and try to build a decent side with them. So, in came Tom Cairney for £1.1m, Alex Smithies for £975k, Marc Albrighton for £6.75m and Jay Rodriguez for £4m plus Rob Elliott - the only reason I signed him was so I could get some sort of fee for Elliott, otherwise Burnley would have wanted £5m+ my scouts reckoned. I also have Hargreaves coming on a free soon too.

40 players left, which included Mcfadden (free) and Jonas for £8.75m. Too many no-hopers in the reserves & under 18's for my liking tbh.

Now for a dilemma. I still have enough funds to sign either Shawcross or Cahill. Both have similar stats, so I'm swaying towards signing Shawcross as he's 2 years younger and much, much taller. Have I made the right decision there? I've never had Cahill before, but Shawcross was decent on FM11 when I signed him.

Gaz,

I had both of them on seperate FM11 saves and they're both very decent, if it's going to cost you about the same fee for each of them then I'd say go for Shawcross due to the (relative) advantage of youth. Otherwise buy whichever one is more cost effective.

Shawcross is better, younger and he seems to be performing pretty well for me 20 apps, 4 goals and an average of 7.29. Plays well as a limited defender (stopper).

I just had my unbeaten league start brought to an end away to Spurs, losing 4-0. I was doing pretty well up until that, with my last three matches being 2-1 Man City (home), 2-0 Chelsea (away) and a 0-0 at the Bernabeu to cement a 2nd place finish in the Champions League. Oh well, let's see if we can bounce back vs Liverpool at St James'.

Just realised that Simon Kjaer had a minimum release clause of £8.25 million in the January window and stuck in a bid for him.

However, regardless of how much I offer his agent he won't drop his wage demands below £85,000 a week. Considering making a bid for Scott Dann instead.

can anyone teach me how to set up Ba and Paloschi for their roles?

Also the roles for Ben Arfa , Cahilll and Coloccini? i m using 4-4-2

I lost like 36 goals in 28 matches, and only score 4x goals, anyone help can me a bit I m new to FM thanks guys

Can I just recommend fellow Toon players have a look at Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre? I signed him for 3m as a backup for Ba (and as many players know, this means he will get plenty of game time!) Sanogo ended the first season playing 21(8) games and scoring 22 goals in all competitions.

For those interested in details, I play a 4-4-1-1 (Target man-support, Trequartista behind him)

Oh, and re the Trequartista, both Ben Arfa and Vuckic were the bomb for me in this role - Ben Arfa equal topped the league with 13 assists from 22(4) matches while Vuckic scored 7 and set 7 up from 17(6) games

Hi guys, im new to this so excuse me if its noy any good.

Anyways, just thought i would pass on info about to players i bought whilst in charge of Newcastle Uniited.

The first of which is (ST) RUBEN ROCHINA of Blackburn Rovers, although you might have wait until January he worth the wait, i managed to get him at a bargain price of 900k he has scored 30 league goals in 36 games since joining.

The other is an AML called JULIAN LUQUE of Racing Santander, i picked him up for 3.1M but his wages are low and his stats are great for a youngster and definetly a long term first teamer.

I hope this is of help to anyone.

Archived