FM12: Leeds United - Bring back the glory days

AidanofLFC

can someone throw me a decent tactic,as im shipping about 3 goals per game at the mo in the first season....:(

I use a variation on a standard 4-4-2, with defenders set on default roles, and the rest of the team set on:

ML - wide midfielder (attack)

MC - advanced playmaker (support)

MC - ball winning midfielder (defend)

AMR - advanced playmaker (attack)

ST - poacher (attack)

ST - deep lying forward (support)

All team settings on default apart from the overall strategy, which is generally "attack" at home and "counter" away (but this gets changed around in games depending on how things are going in terms of possesion and chances)

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm finding it a lot harder to get work permits for young players than it was on FM11.

Just finishing off my signings in preparation for the Premier League. I've ended up not really spending that much as my new assistant manager seems to think that most of the current squad still have 3.5 star potential or better (we'll see about that).

Key players I have signed:

Marian Kello - free - new goalkeeper

Edgar Prib - £2.6m - hardworking midfielder who can play either central or on the left

Vegar Eggen Hedenstad - £3.2m - rightback, can also play in midfield, a step up in class from Parnaby

Torstein Andersen Aase - £2.5m - young striker who will be used as backup

Tom Cairney - £2.3m - adds some more creativity to central midfield

Plus a load of 16-17 year olds on the cheap to go in to the youth team.

Starting team for season 2 is:

Kello

Hedenstad/Gioda/Miliev/Viler

Snodgrass/Cairney/Pattison/Prib

Keogh/Sanogo

Still trying to find another defensive CM but the ones I go for keep failing to get work permits!

I used "Mr Hough's last FM11 tactic" - it's in the tactics upload forum. I leaked goals too until the side gelled - remember to set match preparation/additional workload area to "team work" to help blend. He uses the near post corner exploit in this tactic - Bottenelli scored 19 goals from corners in the Championship season!

thank u :D

Reluctantly concluded after three days of solid play in getting the team to the Prem that my game is just too slow. So I've followed Coen's recommendation (plus Argentina & Brazil!) and have set up a new game, this time with 66,000 rather than 160,000 players. Think I'll be going for the same players & tactic, but I'll post if I come up with anything differant.

Edit. Just realised after loading up my new game that the Ben Gordon sell on transfer clause varies between c £90K and £250K! Worth loading up for the £250K one I think!

Nicko, I know your love for all things South American, I found these two you might want to take a look at. I'm going to try and bid on both (not sure if they're even interested) but I can't scout them so will have to take a punt they have the stats in the right places.

Matias Caruzzo

Juan Manuek Insaurralde

See what you think, I'll let you know how I get on signing them...

Edit: They wanted £2.5m for Caruzzo, too rich for me at the moment.

My Premiership transfers! Must admit things aren't going overly great but we'll get there... maybe

rtdtuw.png

Some big money spent there, pressure's on now! :D

Good luck anyway, I've only spent about £15m to prepare for the Prem and I have a feeling I should have spent more - still I'd be happy with finishing 17th in this first season.

Nicko, I know your love for all things South American, I found these two you might want to take a look at. I'm going to try and bid on both (not sure if they're even interested) but I can't scout them so will have to take a punt they have the stats in the right places.

Matias Caruzzo

Juan Manuek Insaurralde

Caruzzo looks quality and has an italian passport so a work permit wouldnt be a problem...might see if I can get the funds together to go for him myself on my game!

Caruzzo looks quality and has an italian passport so a work permit wouldnt be a problem...might see if I can get the funds together to go for him myself on my game!

I've decided having made some educated guesses he's comfortably the best of the two. I'll be keeping a close eye on him to see if they drop the price, if you sign him let me know how he turns out.

Made it through to the end of December in my first season in the Premier League and we're just about holding our own - currently 14th, 5 points clear of relegation. :thup: As I said, I'll be more than happy if we can just stay up this season!

And I've just had the usual takeover by Yvonne Allen, thankfully she decided not to sack me after taking over but typically said there would be no more money. :lol:

Time to see about making some improvements to the squad in January, I think I need to look at a new keeper and central defender if possible.

Some big money spent there, pressure's on now! :D

Good luck anyway, I've only spent about £15m to prepare for the Prem and I have a feeling I should have spent more - still I'd be happy with finishing 17th in this first season.

Yeah normally it works out quite well and I finish top half but it's proving much more difficult this year. Played 6, won 1, drawn 2 and lost 3. Haven't lost by more than 1 and I started off vs Villa and Arsenal. Can't say I'm happy though.

Edit: Have just been crushed 4-0 by Man United at Elland Road

Made it through to the end of December in my first season in the Premier League and we're just about holding our own - currently 14th, 5 points clear of relegation. :thup: As I said, I'll be more than happy if we can just stay up this season!

And I've just had the usual takeover by Yvonne Allen, thankfully she decided not to sack me after taking over but typically said there would be no more money. :lol:

Time to see about making some improvements to the squad in January, I think I need to look at a new keeper and central defender if possible.

I had her take over in my FM11 Leeds save. Have you ever had Peter Lorimer take over, he did in my FM10 save and it was awesome!

Matias Caruzzo

Juan Manuek Insaurralde

Caruzzo looks quality, really good find there. Slightly better than Gioda, on a par with my new "Leeds Legend" Bottenelli! Lower Prem quality imo. Juan Manuel looks tasty too, but suspect that a w/p may be a problem.

Nicko just started again, had a 3 losses in a row - 1 to bristol city and kilkenny, couldn't stomach that, 3-1, Brum 3-1 at home and forest 3-0 at home, my strikers are shocking so therefore I've decided to also lower the amount of players and look for better striking options.

who would you recommend?

so far offering for gioda, bottinelli, caruzzo, fernandez (give him another try) cardacio, jesus mendez and zezinho for january

what strikers would recommend?

by the way I'm using your tactic this time

Could try Mushaga Bakenga as a striker, he's been good for me. Still using him in the Prem.

Am looking to strengthen my defence in January in the first Prem season and have brought in Guillermo Burdisso for £4m, another South American with a European passport.

Am also thinking of going for Caruzzo but Boca want £8m for him...hmm

Nicko just started again, had a 3 losses in a row - 1 to bristol city and kilkenny, couldn't stomach that, 3-1, Brum 3-1 at home and forest 3-0 at home, my strikers are shocking so therefore I've decided to also lower the amount of players and look for better striking options.

who would you recommend?

so far offering for gioda, bottinelli, caruzzo, fernandez (give him another try) cardacio, jesus mendez and zezinho for january

Hi mate. I'm starting again too. I'm going for the following ST:

Darwin Quintero, ST Colombia. I believe he will get a w/p and we'll need to pay £1.5-£2M. So that will be over 48 months. He's on £10K and we'll do well to keep him to around that.

Wilfried, ST Ivory Coast. £2.5M min release fee. He has been signed for Leeds before so plan to just keep trying for him every week. He'll want £15K.

I will be adding:

Andile Jali £1M over 48 months.

Zezinho (up front £475k over 48 months)

Shikabala (not sure about w/p, but will report back soon on prospects of getting him).

Reneilwe Letsholonyane (again not sure on w/p).

These plus the players I listed before, Gioda, Bottenelli (about £2.5M over 48), Pillud (about £1.5M over 48), Gabriel Silva, Izco maybe. Vitinho, Romario, maybe Marcelo from Brazil under 20's.

Loan Frimpong, Robinson and Kane (because of very low wages) to get up HG.

I'm going big on 48 month deals, as I've realised it's the only way to stretch the available transfer cash/adjusted wages as far as possible as push up the quality of the team. I'll also be selling everyone.

Edit. Ok looks like Letsholonyane & Shikabala will not get w/p, so ignore that. Still think Quintero might.

who would you recommend?

Kilkenny got sent off against me. I must admit I laughed a little

By the way I loaded up one of my auto saves. I'm going to buy players I like rather than players who are better than those I have. Don't know why I did otherwise. However I'm finding it difficult to find them as when you load a league instead of giving you the real players it gives you mostly a pile of fake ones

Really struggling in my first season back in the Premier League now, we're in to April and I've slipped in to the bottom 3. :eek: We've had some key injuries (Sanogo's been out for months with a broken leg) and just don't have the quality of back up in the squad to cope - I think I've gone for too many young promising players and not enough experience.

I'll carry on if we do go down though (provided they don't sack me), if I can keep much of the same squad together and give more time for some of the players to develop we should have a good team - my reserves and youth team and doing brilliantly!

And we're still in the FA Cup. :D

Edit - Well that was another tense ending to a season!!

First we faced Everton in the FA Cup final - and beat them on penalties after it finished 2-2 at the end of extra time.

And then we had to play Everton again in the last game of the season, the relegation places still hadn't been decided but we managed to pull off a 2-1 home win to stay up:

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages.png

So that'll do, survived the first season in the Premier League (just!), won the FA Cup and qualified for Europe. :D

So January transfer windows here, cleared out a lot of the deadwood and got in a couple.

Out

Nemeth - 250K

Forssell - Free

Brown - Free

Rachubka - Loan Future fee of 150K

Becchio - Loan Future fee of 675K

In

Pugh - 500K

Smithies - 1.5M over 48 months

Mattock - 4M over 48 months

Alot for Mattock I know, but I like to buy British as much as possible and hes probably the best I can get in at the moment. Hes also been a constant performer for me in past FMs.

As for how i'm doing, lying in 1st in the league, out of the League and FA cups. Only lost 4 games in the league so far Played 26 won 16 drawn 6 lost 4 on 54 points 2 ahead of West Ham. Scored 61 goals conceded 25.

Scoring goals all over:

Wilfried - 12

Vayrynen - 10

Sanogo - 9

Miyaichi - 6

Lees - 5

Kisnorbo - 5

Gimpel - 4

White - 4

Clayton - 3

Howson - 2

Snodgrass - 1

Gomez - 1

The defense has stood up alot better than I thought it would. I rotate Lees, Kisnorbo and Gimpel with Bromby as back up and last resort as I still can't shift him.

Lees is now rated as a good player for most championship teams and should go on to be a good premiership defender.

Gimpel is rated as a decent player most championship teams and should go on to be a leading premiership defender.

As you can see from above my CB's score a lot of goal pretty much all of them coming from corners with more likely than not snodgrass getting the assist.

My squad at the moment is:

GK: Smithies

RB: Parnaby

CB: Lees

CB: Gimpel

LB: Mattock

CM: Howson

CM: Clayton

AMR: Snodgrass

AMC: Vayrynen

AML: Miyaichi

ST: Wilfried

Bench

Lonergan

Kisnorbo

White

Gomez

Sanogo

Back up

Bromby

Pugh

Sam

Somma

This formation works really well for me, got a lot of players that can cover multiple positions, scoring lots of goals and not conceding many.

Squads still very small and will be looking to pad it out a bit once in the premiership.

Really struggling in my first season back in the Premier League now, we're in to April and I've slipped in to the bottom 3. :eek: We've had some key injuries (Sanogo's been out for months with a broken leg) and just don't have the quality of back up in the squad to cope - I think I've gone for too many young promising players and not enough experience.

I'll carry on if we do go down though (provided they don't sack me), if I can keep much of the same squad together and give more time for some of the players to develop we should have a good team - my reserves and youth team and doing brilliantly!

First we faced Everton in the FA Cup final - and beat them on penalties after it finished 2-2 at the end of extra time.

And then we had to play Everton again in the last game of the season, the relegation places still hadn't been decided but we managed to pull off a 2-1 home win to stay up:

So that'll do, survived the first season in the Premier League (just!), won the FA Cup and qualified for Europe. :D

Nice one Coen - indeed that'll do!

Well done!

And we're still in the FA Cup.

Nice one Coen, good luck in your next season. Remember to sign established players as well as youth players :p

js150 - good to see things going well for you - I'd be interested in how Smithies is doing for you, I've been trying to a decent keeper for the Premier League and he is one of the options I'm considering, I did try to sign him in the last transfer window but ended up not having the funds to do it.

Nice one Coen, good luck in your next season. Remember to sign established players as well as youth players :p

My scouts are under instructions not to even bother looking at anyone aged over 25. :p

But yes, after my experiences this season I think perhaps a couple of more established players might be an idea!

js150 - good to see things going well for you - I'd be interested in how Smithies is doing for you, I've been trying to a decent keeper for the Premier League and he is one of the options I'm considering, I did try to sign him in the last transfer window but ended up not having the funds to do it.

Think he will end up being my back up, at the moment him and Lonergan are about on par. Hes played well in his first 3-4 games. Going to look into Luis Guilherme when I get into the prem, he did well for me in last years FM.

My scouts are under instructions not to even bother looking at anyone aged over 25. :p

But yes, after my experiences this season I think perhaps a couple of more established players might be an idea!

Well Done Mate.

I did that as well before getting sacked after 10 games in Champ!!!

Won 2 Drew 1 Lost 7 (all close)

Will keep Brown & Forsell this time instead of letting them rot in Reserves!!!

Think he will end up being my back up, at the moment him and Lonergan are about on par. Hes played well in his first 3-4 games. Going to look into Luis Guilherme when I get into the prem, he did well for me in last years FM.

Cheers, maybe Smithies isnt the answer for me then as he seems to expect to be first choice. I'm starting to think I let Lonergan go too soon as I've not really got a better replacement yet. An experienced top quality keeper is a priority for me now for my 2nd season in the Prem I reckon.

Righto, second Leeds save. Here is the side:

GK Lonergan, Rab

DR Pillud, Lees

DL Gabriel Silva, Paul Ambrosi (decent only, but wage demands are so low and can be sold easily at season end).

DC Gioda, Bottenelli, Lees, Gimpel.

DMC Andile Jali, Renelwei Letsholonyane (gets w/p), Cristian Pellerano, Brown.

AMR Augusto Fernandez, Shikabala (gets w/p).

AML Shikabala, Zezinho, White, Pugh

ST Wilfried, Darwin Quintero (gets w/p), Pablo Mouche (decent enough, transfer listed and can play AML), Forsell.

Bench Vayrynen etc, Harry Kane on loan (£350 wages).

Not bad that side...

Righto, second Leeds save. Here is the side:

GK Lonergan, Rab

DR Pillud, Lees

DL Gabriel Silva, Paul Ambrosi (decent only, but wage demands are so low and can be sold easily at season end).

DC Gioda, Bottenelli, Lees, Gimpel.

DMC Andile Jali, Renelwei Letsholonyane (gets w/p), Cristian Pellerano, Brown.

AMR Augusto Fernandez, Shikabala (gets w/p).

AML Shikabala, Zezinho, White, Pugh

ST Wilfried, Darwen Quintero (gets w/p), Pablo Mouche (decent enough, transfer listed and can play AML), Forsell.

Bench Vayrynen etc, Harry Kane on loan (£350 wages).

Not bad that side...

First Season Nicko? plus who did you sell?

First Season Nicko? plus who did you sell?

Yes pal, started again and followed Coen's players load (& Argentina/Brazil).

I sold everyone that I coul sell (including £6.75M over 48 for Snoddie) and loaned out Bromby.

Just watching first friendly with this team - awesome. Shikabala has a box of tricks!

Good to see the Leeds thread already up and running :) Bought the game yesterday played pretty slowly up to the first few games didnt do much in the way of buying and selling was trying to keep it pretty realistic. Heres the transfer activity:

endofjantransferwindow.png

Popov for 210k has been a real bargain averaging way over 7 in the 6/7 games he has played so far. Only rated the same as Kisnorbo and O'brien though but for 210k and 2.4k wages you cant go wrong. Definately better than paying the 4k wages for O'dea.

Scott Loach has been absolutely outstanding makes some brilliant saves and keeps alot of clean sheets well worth the money, just got to hope that he develops to his full potential now so that i can use him when i reach the premiership, if not he should be an ideal back up.

Held a Leeds trial day in pre season and Jason Banton really stood out an 18 year old who was released from Liverpool scouts said he had decent potential so snapped him up on a £55 p/w hot prospect contract, instantly valued and 1.1million.

Thats all for now will update at the end of the season with how i got on.

Nicko, do you check the CA & PA of all these players you buy or do you just scout them?

I hate the fact I can't play and win with the current Leeds squad, I know I sound like a broken record! I'm tempted for the first time ever to play as another team!

Nicko, do you check the CA & PA of all these players you buy or do you just scout them?

I hate the fact I can't play and win with the current Leeds squad, I know I sound like a broken record! I'm tempted for the first time ever to play as another team!

I can't scout any of them and don't use genie scout etc. Quintero/Shikabala/S Africans' attributes tell me they are lower Prem quality. The South Americans were used on my first Leeds save and all, with the exception of Ambrosi who is just decent, are quality. I took a punt on Mouche but his pace/acceleration and crossing are pretty good and he'll be easy enough to sell on at season end.

I can't scout any of them and don't use genie scout etc. Quintero/Shikabala/S Africans' attributes tell me they are lower Prem quality. The South Americans were used on my first Leeds save and all, with the exception of Ambrosi who is just decent, are quality. I took a punt on Mouche but his pace/acceleration and crossing are pretty good and he'll be easy enough to sell on at season end.

Fair do's :)

I just didn't want to see players on this thread where people have judged them from their PA on the database as it would hurt my eyes :):)

I'll play the game then, looks like I will have to sell half the team and bring in quality to get anywhere on FM12! New game start tonight for me!

Well there we go first season in the Premiership is done

englishpremierdivisiono.png

Had a great run in the begining of the season and was fighting for European spot, but after 1. january it all went down the drains and I only won 4, draw 4 and lost 10, making my final position 12th which I was very happy with, yet so frustrated since it went so well in the begining.

So now I will go and get in some quality players to do even better next season.

Archived