Mr Hough FM11.2 Winger tactic and Discussion

steve's tactic is making wonders, i am 2nd place with dortmund and i'm unbeaten by 16 matches, in europe i'm in the semifinales of the EC, having beaten teams like juventus home and alone, the same on the german cup, with luck i can make the treble if Bayern will lose a match or two

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Hough

Use what you like from the tweaks I made. Please do add it to the OP if you wish. I am currently trying to water my changes down a little so that my team is less tired and gets less injuries. I still feel that pushing up the d-line, increasing CD for defence and midfield a little, changing DR, DL, MLC, MLR to zonal and making the wingers man mark - is a better way of defending.

Just some thoughts on setting up the defence.

If the GK is given a little leeway so he can rush out, he saves a few one on ones that he would otherwise concede.

The central defence and central midfield need to stay in position so man marking should not be used. They will stay central and defend the goal, press the opposition to get the ball back and recycle the ball to the forwards and wingers.

The Full backs also need to be zonal as you come up against opposition wingers, centre forwards and wingbacks all moving into their zone. Man marking will pull them infield if the ai is using cuts inside or move into channels. Let the opposition move inside and get picked up by my 4 central players...

The 4 main attacking players I put as man marking. If they are fast, strong or skillful enough, then they will lose their marker and leave him in a cloud of dust hopefully. I like to use fast wingers and strong forwards although ideally I want forwards who are both strong and fast. My wingers ideally should have good composure and finishing too.

I Like to push up a little with the D-line as this puts pressure on the opposition. They make mistakes and we win the ball back. Too deep a d-line just invites far too much pressure and invites my team to make mistakes in dangerous areas. I am willing to risk them hitting a long ball over the top as this is pretty rare. I have decent headers in defence, so more often than not they knock it back into my midfield.

Tonight I will try lots of games with a new version of the tweaks as I think some are too severe and can maybe only work for a few teams. But like all tactics, they will only work with the right players, teamtalks, OIs, preperation and quite often a little luck.

Are you using the same stats for players as in the OP?

Hi Dave, first of all a great tactic!!

Can I ask you a question I am currently playing as two teams. Arsenal and for them I am using your tactic and Weymouth who I have managed to get into The Championship, with Weymouth I am using magnet_steve's tweak tactic and I am having equal success with both tactics.

In your opinion could these two tactics be used together with one team? Or would it be like using two different tactics and the squad would have to keep getting use to the tactics each time you changed it. (Hope that made sense).

Yes i think they could easily be used together, All you would have to so is go to Match Prep and set either mine or steves tactic as the 2nd tactic to learn, Once they get Fluid in the areas you will be able to go backwards and forewards between them withoput much change in performace.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I'm really struggling with K Olsa Brakel in the Belgian Pro League. Before adopting the tactic we were 6th and on a 9 game unbeaten run, since the change our results are:

0-1 at Charleroi

0-4 v Germinal Beerschot

0-0 at Genk

0-4 v Club Brugge

and 1-2 at FC Brussels who were bottom and winless in 15 matches.

I have changed the fb marking to zonal and changed the defensive line by 2 notches.

Next, I'll try pulling the right CM to DM.

Perhaps it is a matter of getting the players used to it. They are reasonably mediocre but had done fantastically well before I changed tactics.

Any ideas, anyone?

Go back to the tactic you where trying before, If you are doing really well why bother changing - If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!

Dave the flat 442 Im testing is very very good. Just beat Leeds 4-0 and had 11 ccc's!!! And im Portsmouth. Great work mate, even though it was tweaked by that magnet dude, its still your work mate.

If you would have a look at this flat 442, and make it even better then what it is, then Im certain weve found our diablo for FM11. Bring back the old glory days of CM0304 when one tactic brought you heaps of success, but you still needed to train and buy the right players. After all, its a game and we want to have fun!! Are you listening SI???

In CM0304 I made my own tactic which hardly lost a game, yet since FM 2008, ive found it so frustrating to make something decent.

Sir Dave Hough. Legend.

Yes. Although the tactic still seems to work without TM (I forgot to change the TM when I used my reserve strikers in a couple of games...) and still won comfortably.

Latest game Chelsea v Birmingham. 0-0 at half time. Told them I was disappointed, made 3 subs. Won 5-0.

Assistant says I struggle against teams playing a high d line. He may be right but I am now on a 15 game winning streak scoring 73 goals and conceding only 2.

who do you use as target man steve drogba or anelka? thanx

Hey Mr. Hough Your tactic is a Monster. I'm now managing NAC Breda and after 4 games in Eredivison 3 Wins and 1 Draw, 18 scored ! (omg) 5 conceded. With only one singing (free Rensing). I am using your classic from the first post with tweaked Fulbacks and D-line. Thank you very Match !

Best tactic in FM 2011 to date, allows you to win most matches as long as you invest in a sturdy defence. If your team is lower league and you play against higher league oponents dont expect this tactic to win it for you though, you still need quality players to match those of the opposing team. If you do that then you will see the value of this tactic.

I just won quadruple with Man city first season. League cup was easy, won the title with like 6 matches left in the season scoring over 100 goals, FA cup no problem vs fulham, EURO cup was hard vs juventus as we went goal down in first half, with teamtalk we played better in second half but only managed to score from corner in the 90th minute. In extra time we seemed to dominate even more and we scored a second goal and never looked back.

I can imagine what will happen when i buy the best players available to me and play in the champions cup next season.

Will post screens later.

Bring back the old glory days of CM0304 when one tactic brought you heaps of success, but you still needed to train and buy the right players. After all, its a game and we want to have fun!! Are you listening SI???

In CM0304 I made my own tactic which hardly lost a game, yet since FM 2008, ive found it so frustrating to make something decent.

no thx.

the days of diablo tactics are gone and i hope it stays that way.

Mate sounds promising. If you can PM me your work in progress, would love to test. As Im a big fan of the flat 442. :)

I will PM you a link later. Just setting up a new game, then I will tinker a little with Mr Hough tactic. I will try to get the attacking power of the original mixed with a compact and sturdy defence. My intention is to try and do this without half killing my players through exhaustion, which my current tweaks seem to do.

steve's tactic is making wonders, i am 2nd place with dortmund and i'm unbeaten by 16 matches, in europe i'm in the semifinales of the EC, having beaten teams like juventus home and alone, the same on the german cup, with luck i can make the treble if Bayern will lose a match or two

Congratulations.

Are you using the same stats for players as in the OP?

Pretty much the same. Only thing I would add is that stamina and workrate are needed for the full backs and central midfield. The CML & CMR especially are going to do an awful lot of running and closing down. They don't need to be particularly fast but must be at least 12 in marking and tackling, 15 in stamina and workrate. The MCR should be your stronger, tougher player. The MCL needs to be the better passer of the ball.

who do you use as target man steve drogba or anelka? thanx

I do the same as Mr Hough and put both my strikers as target men in the list. Drogba then Anelka second. I don't know if the game picks this up or ignores the second player. Difficult to tell from the matches I have watched.

I do the same as Mr Hough and put both my strikers as target men in the list. Drogba then Anelka second. I don't know if the game picks this up or ignores the second player. Difficult to tell from the matches I have watched.

doing this though i really think helps the strikers play better together, Not sure why maybe because they are both set to target men.

I hope the game don't just use the target man at the top because why can't you have 2 target men playing in one team?

no thx.

the days of diablo tactics are gone and i hope it stays that way.

I don't think a diablo tactic is possible with the current match engine. I am betting that no matter how good a tactic is during season 1, the ai will have learnt how to counter it by season 2. In my testing I found that Man City playing a 4-2-1-2-1 with sturdy DMs and very fast/skillful striker and advanced wingers, tore me apart most of the match. I was incredibly lucky during that game to win. West Ham too, was a very hard game as they really parked the bus across the goal. I won 1-0 eventually, but I was tearing my hair out most of the match.

Other people may have different views, but I think the game is much more than building a super tactic. All the teamtalks, press conferences, interaction/discipline of players, training, match prep etc. are there for a reason and do have an effect on most games. Use all the tools at your disposal to gain the advantage. Even the so called Diablo tactic would fall on its face if you are doing everything else wrong.

Thanks Dave for adding my tactic tweaks to the opening post. Your tactic is fantastic at creating goal scoring opportunities. I have always approached tactic building from the other end. If I don't concede, then I cannot lose.....

I hope over the next few days to refine it a little as I think it is OTT on the closing down. If I can do this without losing the defensive stability, then I will be extremely chuffed.

I don't think a diablo tactic is possible with the current match engine. I am betting that no matter how good a tactic is during season 1, the ai will have learnt how to counter it by season 2. In my testing I found that Man City playing a 4-2-1-2-1 with sturdy DMs and very fast/skillful striker and advanced wingers, tore me apart most of the match. I was incredibly lucky during that game to win. West Ham too, was a very hard game as they really parked the bus across the goal. I won 1-0 eventually, but I was tearing my hair out most of the match.

Other people may have different views, but I think the game is much more than building a super tactic. All the teamtalks, press conferences, interaction/discipline of players, training, match prep etc. are there for a reason and do have an effect on most games. Use all the tools at your disposal to gain the advantage. Even the so called Diablo tactic would fall on its face if you are doing everything else wrong.

Do u still have all your strikers in the targetman list?

This tactic is so horrible in defense it's scary.

That is why lots of people, (including me) have been trying to improve the defence. Offensively the tactic is great. Try my tweaks - see the opening post. Or try to improve the defence yourself. You may come up with something you want to share with everyone.

That is why lots of people, (including me) have been trying to improve the defence. Offensively the tactic is great. Try my tweaks - see the opening post. Or try to improve the defence yourself. You may come up with something you want to share with everyone.

Yeah sorry for being unconstructive.

I havnt been using for it for many games, but i just conceded 3 goals in 10 minutes - so frustrating.

I have used the tweaks suggested - Zonal marking for the fulllbacks and moving the defensive line up a couple of notches.

Oh well, hopefully it will improve.

Just to prove this point, I tried a couple of seasons with hands off. I have probably the best assistant manager in the game and a world class squad (although not a very deep squad for this tactic). My team played poorly in several games - only winning the league cup in the first season. I honestly believe half the battle is nothing to do with tactics. Even if you have a wonderful tactic - you need the right players, and back up for when they are injured or need resting. I am convinced that my team talks and substitutions etc. would have won me a lot more than the assistant managed.

It terms of the kind of players, do you still use the player requirements that mr hough has on the opening post? Thanks

Hi Magnet_Steve

I used to play Mr. Houghs 4-1-2-3 and had great success with it.

in the end of last season I then switched to the new 4-2-2-2 and when your altered it to 4-4-2 I tried that.

Mr. Houghs worked ok for me but when I use yours I can't seem to score any.

The funny thing is that I'm allso Danish U21 manager and when I played the 4-1-2-3 I lost 3 games in a row.

When I changed to your 4-4-2 I won 10-0.

So at the moment I play your 4-4-2 with the U21 and Mr. Houghs 4-2-2-2 with my Premier League team.

I play one season IFK Norrkoping (swedish second division)

Tactic: Original tactic with FB on zonal and DL 2 notches up

Finished 1st (media prediction 6th) promoted to the premier league

Reach final of the Swedish Cup (2-0 up, 2-2 at 90th minute, lost the penalties)

Here the screenshot: Dave, thank you very much

Fixtures: (T = Home U= Away)

IFKNorrkoping.jpg

IFKNorrkoping1.jpg

league

IFKNorrkoping2.jpg

Hi Magnet_Steve

I used to play Mr. Houghs 4-1-2-3 and had great success with it.

in the end of last season I then switched to the new 4-2-2-2 and when your altered it to 4-4-2 I tried that.

Mr. Houghs worked ok for me but when I use yours I can't seem to score any.

The funny thing is that I'm allso Danish U21 manager and when I played the 4-1-2-3 I lost 3 games in a row.

When I changed to your 4-4-2 I won 10-0.

So at the moment I play your 4-4-2 with the U21 and Mr. Houghs 4-2-2-2 with my Premier League team.

Which premier league team do you play as; who are your strikers and wingers ?

I am trying to make Mr Hough tactic better defensively whilst keeping the attacking potency. The 442 I posted is my first experiment. I am trying several variants of this 442 at the moment. Hopefully I can get one that works with most teams.

My current game was abandoned as a test when every single central defender in the first and reserve teams was injured over 3 matches. Even my midfielders who could sort of play as DC were out too !!!! Obviously I started leaking goals from everywhere...

Dave the flat 442 Im testing is very very good. Just beat Leeds 4-0 and had 11 ccc's!!! And im Portsmouth. Great work mate, even though it was tweaked by that magnet dude, its still your work mate.

If you would have a look at this flat 442, and make it even better then what it is, then Im certain weve found our diablo for FM11. Bring back the old glory days of CM0304 when one tactic brought you heaps of success, but you still needed to train and buy the right players. After all, its a game and we want to have fun!! Are you listening SI???

Sir Dave Hough. Legend.

Which tactic,mate? :)

My current game was abandoned as a test when every single central defender in the first and reserve teams was injured over 3 matches. Even my midfielders who could sort of play as DC were out too !!!! Obviously I started leaking goals from everywhere...

This has been happening for me without using your tactic. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a problem with the game. People say it isn't scripted in the injuries department but from what you say, and my own experience, I'm beginning to have my doubts.

This season I've had 11 first team players injured. Bear in mind that I've been using a single tactic for probably 6 seasons all together. Everything is fine for most of the season but when I'm having a ridiculously good patch like winning my first 8 games, scoring 22 goals and conceding 2, the game all of a sudden decides to injure 4 of my 6 strikers in quick succession, they're not on hard tackling or particularly high closing down. Then it will target all my center backs, or it will target all my central mids. People may say it's my tactics or training, but how can it be when this doesn't happen again for 6-7 months? The game targets certain areas of the team, I'm certain. It can't just be a coincidence every single year.

Magnet, awaiting your PM with the updated 442 mate :)

Nothing really worth sending you at the moment. I seem to have run into a couple of dead-ends with the stuff I was doing last night. As soon as I get chance, I will start again with some tinkering. Lots of real life stuff to do today as well asFM.

Which premier league team do you play as; who are your strikers and wingers ?

I am trying to make Mr Hough tactic better defensively whilst keeping the attacking potency. The 442 I posted is my first experiment. I am trying several variants of this 442 at the moment. Hopefully I can get one that works with most teams.

Hi Steve

I play as Wrexham and in year 2018, so most of my players are regens but they are really gifted.

Hi Steve

I play as Wrexham and in year 2018, so most of my players are regens but they are really gifted.

I have found that playing a left footer on the right and a right footer on the left works well for both strikers and wingers. Wingers are cutting in and the strikers finish better. Most of the crosses I get come from my full backs, so as long as they are using the correct foot, then all is ok.

I started my second season with Fenerbahce and still using this tactic with defensive tweaks.

First season i won the league easily but in European Cups we sucked.

Second season i've won my first 6 match and scored 18 goals, conceded only 2.

When the team blended the tactic i started to use defensive positioning at match prepreation.

Andre Bikey and Federico Fazio are my central defenders. They're highly enough for Turkish league.

Thanks again Dave, your tactic's working for me like a watch. :))

9blso2.png

Chelsea using a tweaked Mr Hough tactic.

oi5fo3.png

Drogba the goal machine.

20ur05f.png

My current team.

http://www.filefront.com/17865704/Chelsea

The link.

The changes I made:

AML and AMR become ML and MR.

All passing increased by two notches.

Closing down radically altered. Everything increased to get my players behaving like wild animals.

Tackling to normal for GK.

DR, DL, MCL and MCR changed from man to zonal marking.

ML and MR changed to man marking.

Team CF decreased by 1 notch.

Team passing increased by 7 notches.

Team tempo increased by eight notches.

Team closing down increased by 1 notch.

Team timewasting increased by 1 notch.

Team Defensive line increased by 5 notches.

Lots of changes to set piece instructions that better fit my players, are defnsively sound/offer more attacking options/offer chance of a counter attack.

hi magnet how do you set match preparation??and your target man are the two strikers?

I hope the game don't just use the target man at the top because why can't you have 2 target men playing in one team?

Hi Dave

Agree with your point but my guess is that the target man list is a functional user interface change rather than a football oriented change. In the old days we used to have a single selection for target man, if that player wasnt selected or was substituted then the player in THAT position became the target man. Obviously that wasn't ideal so if I were the developer looking at improving the target man selection on the interface, I would suggest a list of players in order of preference similar to the penalty taker list. That way, the target man becomes the top listed available player as opposed to whoever happens to be the ST/R or wherever the position may be. If I was designing the interface to have multiple target men at once then I would expect a Target Man tickbox in each players individual settings.

I'm just guessing at this as a software developer myself, not saying that I agree with the design principle of only having a single target man, I don't. Would be good if someone from SI could tell us whether it works this way or not....

all the best!!

Hooligan

My match preperation was team blend until everyone was ok with the tactics and then I let my Ass Man take over. I have probably the best Ass Man in the game, so I thought I would see how he did for a while. I will be testing defensive positioning for away games and attacking positioning for home games. I may throw in set pieces after a game where we have done poorly at attacking or defending set pieces.

Currently testing some more tweaks that are designed to keep tight at the back, but have more offensive potential - without tiring the players too much. Will be playing a few games tonight.

Edit:

Almost forgot. Both strikers as TM. Best one at top of list. Don't know if it makes a difference using both, but that is how Mr Hough was doing it, and this is just a tweak of his tactic...

Also try it with left footers on the MR and STCR; right footers on the ML and STCL. This should force them to cut inside.

Mr Hough the tactic is really great. In the 1st season with Liverpool ( Year 2010) win the Premier League, Carling Cup, Europa League and lost the Final of the FA against Chelsea with a lot of Bad luck. We have a lot of injuries in the defence and the tactic stil working great. The Strikes scores a lot, almost 3-4 goals per game.

1temp.jpg

teamnd.jpg

I use the original tactic. I think this is your best tactic, not only for the results, the style of play is very attacking and beautiful. I don´t concede too much.

Sorry for my english, great work.

Mr Hough the tactic is really great. In the 1st season with Liverpool ( Year 2010) win the Premier League, Carling Cup, Europa League and lost the Final of the FA against Chelsea with a lot of Bad luck. We have a lot of injuries in the defence and the tactic stil working great. The Strikes scores a lot, almost 3-4 goals per game.

I use the original tactic. I think this is your best tactic, not only for the results, the style of play is very attacking and beautiful. I don´t concede too much.

Sorry for my english, great work.

I am surprised Hulk only managed to score one goal for you on the AML spot, for me hes banging in goals for fun. Judging from his rating though he probably assisted a lot.

Hooligan

My match preperation was team blend until everyone was ok with the tactics and then I let my Ass Man take over. I have probably the best Ass Man in the game, so I thought I would see how he did for a while. I will be testing defensive positioning for away games and attacking positioning for home games. I may throw in set pieces after a game where we have done poorly at attacking or defending set pieces.

Currently testing some more tweaks that are designed to keep tight at the back, but have more offensive potential - without tiring the players too much. Will be playing a few games tonight.

Edit:

Almost forgot. Both strikers as TM. Best one at top of list. Don't know if it makes a difference using both, but that is how Mr Hough was doing it, and this is just a tweak of his tactic...

Also try it with left footers on the MR and STCR; right footers on the ML and STCL. This should force them to cut inside.

What is a good assistent manager for you? Who did you use?

Not sure if it matters on what side you put your wingers depending on their strongest foot. For example i have Hulk playing on the AML and i still see him cut inside regularly with the ball glued to his feet even though he has a weak right foot. To me if he has natural positional rating then he will do the job regardless.

I am certain that two footed players have a better goal return then one footed players but this can be solved for one footers by teaching them "avoid weaker foot" ppm. I currently have hulk and yaya sanogo with that ppm to see if it improves goal return, at first glance it does but not by much.

If you ever see a striker shoot and make a horrible miss, then it could be due to his weaker foot.

I am surprised Hulk only managed to score one goal for you on the AML spot, for me hes banging in goals for fun. Judging from his rating though he probably assisted a lot.

Maybe was because he play few matches, he was injured all the time :S, in this seasen i believe he can do it better. I believe Liverpool team have a curse, i have lot of injuries all the time ( Glen johnson 8 months, Gerrard 3 months, Carragher 3 months, etc ) .

Hey Dave,

a little update from my MK Dons game. End of season 2 and unbelievably I came 2nd in the championship! So that's back to back promotions using your tactic! My media prediction was 23rd. Hopefully starting my first season in the premiership today, media prediction 20th and I think this will be the first season I really struggle. I'm still using your original tactic with no tweaks as I'm more of a 'attack is the best form of defence' kinda gal rather than 'if they can't score you can't lose' :) Thanks again for sharing Dave

npowerChampionshipInformation_Stages.png

MiltonKeynesDonsTransfers_History-1.png

Hey Dave,

a little update from my MK Dons game. End of season 2 and unbelievably I came 2nd in the championship! So that's back to back promotions using your tactic! My media prediction was 23rd. Hopefully starting my first season in the premiership today, media prediction 20th and I think this will be the first season I really struggle. I'm still using your original tactic with no tweaks as I'm more of a 'attack is the best form of defence' kinda gal rather than 'if they can't score you can't lose' :) Thanks again for sharing Dave

Sorry Jib, what type of match preparations do u use?

OI?

Your results are really great! ;)

Archived