FM11 Big Euro Nation: Small Club to Big Club Challenge

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for a small bit of help as someone relatively new to Football Manager.

I'm trying to clean out my squad a bit and I'm seeing that it might be expensive to do. Releasing my players on a free requires that the club pay them compensation (does this come out of my transfer money btw, or the clubs finances?). Any ways to get rid of my players without compensation other than transferring them to other teams (which requires interest from other teams.)? How do you guys go about cleaning house?

Looking for a small bit of help as someone relatively new to Football Manager.

I'm trying to clean out my squad a bit and I'm seeing that it might be expensive to do. Releasing my players on a free requires that the club pay them compensation (does this come out of my transfer money btw, or the clubs finances?). Any ways to get rid of my players without compensation other than transferring them to other teams (which requires interest from other teams.)? How do you guys go about cleaning house?

I cleared out my Messina squad with free transfers, cost me about £40k in compensation, but we'd have had to pay that in their wages over the season anyway, so you have to decide whether you'd rather clean them out, or get rid of them now. I prefer to see them off the wage bill myself, but it's up to you. The money to free transfer them comes out of your balance but not any of your budgets.

2012/13 Mid-Season Update: Red Star Football Club 93, French National

Formidable! At the half way point of the season, Red Star 93 find themselves at the top of the league! Lenny Bernstein has built on the good foundations laid last year, adding just four players to the squad, whilst clearing out 14. The new additions have added strength in depth, but it is mostly the nucleus of last season's team that has propelled Red Star to the heady heights of the top of the French National. The team's success can be partly credited with the more attacking, free-flowing brand of football that Bernstein has introduced to the Stade Bauer this season. And it certainly seems to be paying off - Red Star have been scoring for fun, netting 37 times in the first 19 matches. And whilst the manager is not getting carried away yet, this has been a very promising start indeed...

UD_P%C3%A1jara_Playas_de_Jand%C3%ADa_escudo.png

End of Season Update - U.D. Pajara Playas de Jandia - 2011/12

Transfer Budget: £0

Wage Budget: £6,250pw

Finances: -£187,347 (End of Season)

Transfers - 16 IN (£0) & 20 OUT (£0)

Another big turn around, shopping in the free transfer market, I felt as if I strengthened the side considerably. Though I then realised there is a cap on the number of squad players who can be over 23, this threw a rather large metaphorical spanner in the works and required me to shift things around and leave some of the players I though would be challenging for first team places out of the 22 registered.

League - 4th

I was hoping for a decent start to the season, but I didn't get it as I collapsed to a poor 3-0 defeat on the opening day. Fortunately things settled down - I settled into a nice mid-table security, managing to score enough points to stay there, but not really putting together enough of a run to put pressure on the upper echelons. Las Palmas totally ran away with the league. It was with an expectation of somewhat of a thumping that I welcomed them to Fuerteventura just as I was again building a decent run. However, I pulled off a great 2-1 victory (my 4th win on the run), and it really spurred the team on, we went on to not lose again in the season's run in. Putting together an astonishing series of victories which saw me hit 4th (the final playoff place) with one game to go. A squeaky win against decent opposition put me into the playoffs.

Now, I don't know whether you've experienced the Spanish play-off system. It's certainly a marathon. I started at Castilla (Real Madrid's reserves/youth). A 2-1 home victory, and away draw meant I was throw. Next were Huesca who had actually won their league (how they ended up playing me I don't know!) a 1-1 home draw, and then 2-2 away draw meant I progressed on the away goals ruling. I can tell you it was pretty tense when I let slip a 2-0 lead in the second-leg! Finally, I came up against something of a forum favourite in the form of Oviedo (who I believe have completed this challenge before). It was actually the most comfortable. I won 4-2 at home, and shut them out for a 0-0 away to reach the Liga adelante.

Squad

The entire squad performed admirably, and as such, I'll introduce you to them. (For those unfamiliar with my system first teamers will be in bold and in the future exciting young players will be in italics (I don't have any yet))

Goalkeepers

Samir Kouakbu - Signed on a free at the beginning of the season, I think this guy can go onto big things

Juan Carlos Caballero - Back-up

Defenders

Mario - A rock in the heart of the defence. One of the few players who really look cut out for the league above.

Alberto Campillo - First choice RB by default more than anything.

Bacar Balde - Similar to Campillo. Not the greatest player but did a good job for me.

Rodrigo Sanchez Cano - Youngster who has the potential to be another decent player.

Salvador - Dislodged by Cano. I don't think he's cut out for the next step.

Midfielders

Ivan Martinez - Super-sub. Competent in almost every position, excellent to have on the bench.

Raoul Loe - Picked up in January, added real class in the middle of the park.

Xabier Alonso - DM incumbent until Loe came along, played in one of the playoffs while Loe recovered from an injury.

Fanuel - A Mozambique international, a good winger.

Edu Garcia - Excellent back up at this level for Fanuel.

Javier Barranco - left before I could take a screenshot, just a back-up player.

David Pino - Two-footed, and played well all season. Very impressed with him.

Dimas - The creative spark in the team, laid on plenty of goals for the team, despite his terrible physical attributes. Was the team's penalty taker, did not impress in that role. 3 from 7.

Strikers

Pituli - Good back up, scored some important goals from the bench.

Javier Adan - Top-scored, and you can't ask for more than that from a striker.

Bruno Gaspar - back-up. Didn't do a lot to cover himself in glory.

Kike Lorenzo - Played well all season as a target man. Got himself on the scoresheet when it mattered.

Aims For Next Season

1/ Survive

Story So Far

Season			League			Position			Achievements/Wins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12		Second Division B4		13th				Avoided Relegation
2012/13		Second Division B4		4th				Promoted via Playoffs

Previous Updates

2011/12

Congrats on promotions Almondo and PRDH. Well done! :thup:

I've had a rather horrible start myself in the league. Losing 3 in a row with a 1-9 goal difference. Meanwhile I've managed to beat both 2nd division and 1st division sides in the two cups so far. Not sure what to make of that. We drew Motherwell in the next round of the league cup though, so that's that I would guess.

The squad is pretty crap. I'm not happy with what I managed to pull together at all. A couple of half-famous names in Francis Jeffers and Charlie Miller, but behind them it's really bad. Gonna start using the "Team Blend" match preparation now, hopefully that'll give us our first points soon.

Closed the game to go out earlier and ran the game now nothing appears in the load save screen...a blank box, can't even cancel it. Re-installed the game but still the same. The save games are there in the documents folder under SI etc....garrrr nothing but trouble so far....

If anyone has a clue to help it is more than welcome.

nice update PRDH, and congratz on the promotion.

i have finished my season now, and update will be following shortly, once i've finished trying to sort out my petulant bloody players. They all seem to have PMT. I currently have my veteran GK demanding a transfer cos he didn't like the way I spoke to our ST when he asked to move clubs and I refused...

Closed the game to go out earlier and ran the game now nothing appears in the load save screen...a blank box, can't even cancel it. Re-installed the game but still the same. The save games are there in the documents folder under SI etc....garrrr nothing but trouble so far....

If anyone has a clue to help it is more than welcome.

Somehow got it working again...thank ****...end of season report coming soon

5804.gif

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!!

Hello. Lazy Sunday plus huge yearning to play the new FM has led to an impulsive Steam purchase of FM11. My willpower is pathetic...:D

Anyway, to the important stuff...as you can see above, I have taken charge of Torpedo Armavir. They're predicted to come 18th, have a 5000 all seater stadium and fairly basic facilities across the board. I am a well renowned ex-Sunday League manager, going by the name of Omez Robtrachenko :cool:.

Let the games begin \o/

Cheers PRDH! Congrats on your promotion, I hated that aspect of Spain last year, it took me around 6 seasons to escape!

Having to reload my game and holiday it myself rather than off Gilbster's save as its corrupted for me. Shame. Hopefully I'll get Torpedo Armavir again.

FC Chernomorets Novorossiysk - Season one - 2011

Performance

After an awful start, losing the first 3 league matches, we went on to record 13 wins and 8 draws in our next 25 matches, peaking as high as 4th in the league. An absolute shocker then occured as we gained just 1 point in our next 6 matches and ended the season down in 9th place.

League Table

Past Positions

Whilst it felt awful to end that way, it was still much better than preseason suggestions of 16th, and as such we were awarded Overachievers of the Year.

Squad

Transfers

Lots of players brought in, and only 1 released cos he was moaning about being transfer listed.

Current Squad

Some pretty decent performances, with special kudos to:

Dmitry Sysuev - The only striker I inherited who was anything like good enough. Turned in some good performances until the tail-end of the season where his confidence plummeted.

Clifford Mulenga - Offered to me by his agent, and brought in for just £9k. A delight down the left, with occasional starts up front when we were desperate.

Sergiy Puchkov - The 6'8" giant in our back line was just brilliant, both in defence and for set pieces up front.

Finances

We made a season's profit of around £750k, and the board were still happy to give me minimum expectations of just avoidiing relegation. However I decided to push on for a minimum of a top half finish, giving me a transfer budget of £1m and wages of £30k, and we are currently spending just £19k.

Next season

We already have 2 new strikers coming in on January 1st, so the priorities for players is a couple of DL's and a couple of DC's to backup the 2 we have.

If I'm honest an injury free season would likely see us in the top 5 with the first XI we have, so its squad players we need, and I'd like to hold onto as much cash as possible for when [if] we get to the Premier League... :)

Media prediction is 14th, with odds of 40-1 to win the league

Season    Division            Position     Acheivements
---------------------------------------------------------
2011      First Division      9th          None

iacovone - that was the shortest retirement i think i've ever seen!! welcome back mate.....

PRDH - congrats on promotion there - was some second half of the season.

Almondo - congrats on promotin mate - good luck in the second division.

LennyBernstein - great first half to the season there. hopefully you can keep that form up and gain promotion.

Ohanzee - welcome back mate.

As for my Arezzo game, i suffered the crash that seems to be affecting a few people so far where the game crashes in the first match played. hopefully there is a quick fix for this... :( not having much luck so far!!

Thanks rlipscombe. Its good to be back! A quite pathetic retirement tbh!

It seems the holidaying feature skips a week, so I've not been able to reload, therefore I'm not Torpedo Armavir. Instead welcome Omez Robtrachenko to Nosta Novotroitsk. They're of similar stature - stadium of 10000, fairly basic facilities, not much cash and an all red kit. Lets see what I can do :cool:.

Just to add Novotroitsk is found along the Ural river in the province of Orenburg. Orenburg is found in the South East of Russia, along the Kazakhstani border. Sounds like an interesting place.

Here's the club badge:

nosta%20novotroitsk.jpg

Looking good dr p wigwam. :thup: Good luck next year, hopefully you can push for promotion with some more depth in the squad.

Cheers rlipscombe. Sad to hear you're having technical issues. I've not had any such so far myself. Hope they can fix it asap.

We've finally found some form. After losing the 3 first league matches we now have 3 wins and 2 draws in the last 5. Luckily you can still bring in free-transfers after the transfer window closes. We can already scout 10 different countries to, so hoping we can improve the squad further as the season moves a long.

Already regretting bringing in Charlie Miller though. 3 yellow and 2 red, that's all he's done so far. :rolleyes: I fined him 2 weeks wages after his 2nd red and he went mental along with most of the team. So I transfer listed him and sent him to the reserves. Doubt he'll ever play for us again, but if he comes crawling into my office and begs on his knees I'll consider it. :cool:

*edit* Good luck iacovone. Nice to see you back.

There's nothing like being given a hefty wage and transfer budget by an ambitious board to strengthen a squad. Or at least I imagine that's probably the case. I think I'll probably be heading straight back down. We had to spend £3.7m improving the stadium to bring it up to standard. Money we simply don't have. I'm ground sharing at some tiny stadium for 10 months, and the expenditure means I'm £3.3m in the red. The knock on effect being that my transfer budget was £0, and my wage budget £7,604pw - a whole £1,100pw increase on last season. I've managed to bring in enough players to make a team, but I can't see myself making much of a splash in the Liga adelante.

Oh well, chin up, I'll just have to make do. I'll come back stronger.

So I have two Centre Backs Injured (My Number 1 & My Back-up), and then my Number 2 gets a Yellow & a straight red in a match, not only does he get a 1 match ban for the red, but he also gets a 1 match ban for getting to 4 yellows? WTH!?

Edit: Turns out my Reserve is due back before the next game...lucky cause all my U19 defenders are injured as well...

Welcome back Iacovone, was gutted to hear of your attempted retirement. glad to see you have as much trouble as I do staying away. Russia looks like fun, but I want to give Italy a real shot first.

Congrats Almondo & PRDH on gaining promotion already, we at Darfo Boario can only hope to be that good.

Logo-3.png

2011/12 - Hallescher FC - German Third Division

Transfers - 12 IN for 22k & 15 OUT for 7k

League - Massive overachievement to be promoted first time of asking. The squad will need huge improvement to compete in the 2nd Division.

Squad List/Stats - Yellow/Red cards should not be taken into account.

Top Scorer - Markus Muller, 12

Most Assists - Nico Kanitz, 16

Most MOM - Christian Strohdiek, 9

Ave Rating - Christian Strohdiek, 7.64

Finances - We lost a lot, around 900k.

Season  | League          | Pos | Cup           | Europe            | Other Achievements
11/12   | 3rd Division    | 2nd | n/a           | n/a               | Promoted

Cheers again chaps, always had a fascination with Eastern Europe so I was really pleased to see it in our challenge this year! Enjoying the change to negotiations now, great leaps appear to have been made. Had one agent try and take an extortionate fee for his player. He clearly didn't know how small we are!!

SnakeXe's Messina - Season 1 - 2011/12

Story of the Season:

Serie C2/C - 2nd, Playoff Finalists

The league position graph tells its own story, we should have won the league comfortably. Unfortunately we fell apart after losing the Serie C Cup Final and Taranto put together an unbelievable run of 14 wins from their last 15 games to pip us. The team's confidence was shot going into the playoffs, but we somehow got to the second leg of the final at home with a 1-0 lead from the away leg at Avellino. It wasn't to be as we lost 2-0 to shatter our dreams.

Serie C Cup - Runners Up

Stormed our way to the final, blowing away Serie C1 competition left right and centre. A creditable draw at home in the final first leg against AlbinoLeffe, who were clearly a lot better than us, wasn't enough in the end, as we went down 3-1 away from home. The result probably ruined our season ultimately.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 - Squad

Transfers - £8,500 profit

Free transferred a whole lot of dross, and got a decent £9k for a below-par winger. Broke our transfer record of £0 to sign Nei for £500, who was a decent acquisition.

5 Most Important Players:

5. Ighli Vannucchi - AMRC - Has great quality in the midfield, but probably should have performed a bit better.

4. Duccio Innocenti - SW/DRC/WBR - Good performances at fullback, but getting on a bit.

3. Davide Carrus - DM/MC - Made a good partnership with Vannucchi in the centre.

2. Igor Latte-Yedo - DC - A shame he was so injury prone, our best defender by far though.

1. Mario Artistico - ST - Fantastic free transfer, unfortunately seemed prone to sulking when he wasn't playing well, which contributed to us losing both the Serie C Cup Final and the Playoff Final.

History:

Season    League                  Position  Achievements                   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12   Serie C2/C              2nd       Serie C Cup Runners Up, Playoff Finalists

Messina 100 Club:

A list of those Messina players who make 100 or more appearances for the club under my management.

Name                Pos        Era                    Apps   Goals     AvR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Season:

Win promotion at all costs.

Congrats on promotion ToMexico. Well done! :thup:

Good luck in Scotland minisav!

That hurts being so close SnakeXE. Hope you can finish 1st next year. Playoffs can be so cruel. :(

As for Albion Rovers, we're looking like we can't lose atm. 8 wins in a row, and 19-3-3 since those 3 losses at the start. Feel pretty certain we can get promoted atm.

So I've just come across the Spanish disciplinary blunder. Two yellow cards = one match suspension - I didn't think it was on my game, but it is. I already have nine players one yellow away form a suspension and I'm only five games in. Do I carry on and just deal with it? I can see it making it tricky with the 25 named squad. Or should I abandon this save and go elsewhere?

[edit] - Yeah, I'm starting somewhere new. Disappointing, but I've got 3 first team players suspended for the next game, after they've picked up a couple of yellow cards. You can't have a big enough squad to compensate because of the registration rules. It's going to make the season unplayable really I think. I'll keep it saved and come back to it if any fix is save game compatible. Meanwhile I think I might go to Germany.

any chance of uploading the East Stirlingshire save?? i've had a soft spot for them since i read a book about them and have always fancied having a go with them... just dabbling with a few other games while i hope for a fix on the crashing issue i have with Arezzo......

So I've just come across the Spanish disciplinary blunder. Two yellow cards = one match suspension - I didn't think it was on my game, but it is. I already have nine players one yellow away form a suspension and I'm only five games in. Do I carry on and just deal with it? I can see it making it tricky with the 25 named squad. Or should I abandon this save and go elsewhere?

I've been having yellow card issues in France too, although it all seems very random. I have players out through suspension every game. One guy has just picked up a suspension after collecting 12 yellows. Another has been given a suspension for 6 yellow and another still got a suspension for collecting 3? Totally bemused...

I've been having yellow card issues in France too, although it all seems very random. I have players out through suspension every game. One guy has just picked up a suspension after collecting 12 yellows. Another has been given a suspension for 6 yellow and another still got a suspension for collecting 3? Totally bemused...

It's a pity. I was well into the game and progressing well. But if I carry on the next game I will have 2 defenders suspended and a striker. With my, already, thin squad it would be impossible. Especially as I've still got 7 players one away from a suspension which could hit the next game. Felt I was doing well as well. Was up in 12th in Liga adelante too.

Oh well.

It's a pity. I was well into the game and progressing well. But if I carry on the next game I will have 2 defenders suspended and a striker. With my, already, thin squad it would be impossible. Especially as I've still got 7 players one away from a suspension which could hit the next game. Felt I was doing well as well. Was up in 12th in Liga adelante too.

Oh well.

It certainly is getting ridiculous for me too. And apparently no rhyme nor reason to it either. I understand your frustration, although my squad seems to be coping with it just about - we've just won promotion and may even go on to win the league!

any chance of uploading the East Stirlingshire save?? i've had a soft spot for them since i read a book about them and have always fancied having a go with them... just dabbling with a few other games while i hope for a fix on the crashing issue i have with Arezzo......

You can try this one. Should be them bottom if my naming is correct. (Large DB, players from top clubs in each continent and based in Scotland)

Game delayed due to a problem.

League names have disappeared. I go to World->Scotland and the league spaces are there but the things are blank. And on my squad thing it says "5th in" and then it's blank. No idea what's happened but on reloading my Germany game it's there. Will test other saves as it could be an installation problem.

Beating Expectations

Unlocked: Nov 8, 2010 4:29pm

You have gained 90% board confidence in overall competitions

Doing pretty good if I do say so myself...(Full update coming...5 games left in the league...)

Looking forward to your first update Des!!

Got my entire pre season out of the way last night. Really took some time developing the behind the scenes at Nosta. Feel like I've put together a good squad capable of survival and have secured some solid pre season results.

My biggest coup came from the Ivory Coast - an agent approached me offering a 30 year old keeper for just £100. He's by far and away one of the best in the division if you just look at his stats so I was delighted to take him. DELIGHTED by the addition of agents - absolutely fantastic. I've also signed a Guinean AMC on loan for the season through the same agent. He's doing his job, moving his African stars to Europe, and I'm getting some cut-price talent. Tonight will be our first game of the season, I'm cautiously optimistic...

Well hello again. I have a new manager to introduce to you all. Pete Harmer stands before you as the most recent appointment at SV Stuttgarter Kickers.

The Kickers are naturally fierce rivals with their more illustrious neighbours contesting the Stuttgart Derby (when they can). They play in the 11,544 capacity GAZi-Stadion auf der Waldau (it's a mystery to me). They come with a squad of players and an assistant manager, as well as a healthy wage budget of £44,000pw.

The do however expect a safe mid-table position. So the pressure is on to hit the ground running.

The Kickers have a decent history, finishing as First Division runners up in 1908.

Archived