Do people die? (or is that a little to much reality?)

no, realism is wanted if it makes the game better, wanting someone do die on the pitch or in a car accident etc, in my opinion, should never be in the game!

I will play devil's advocate here.

If many users are all foward for reality in the game, then Death, Corruption, earthquakes and floods destroying infrastructures then it should be in the game.

See now my point of realism in the game to certain point?

I amazed to some users in these forums that are quickly harsh others users that don't share their opinion and like old games calling it "stupid horrible post" and all the likes.

If realism is so wanted in the game, it should be included regardless of making the game better. It was many of you requested. You wanted the FM games to be close to realism as possible. Now which is it?

If many users are all foward for reality in the game, then Death, Corruption, earthquakes and floods destroying infrastructures then it should be in the game.

I amazed to some users in these forums that are quickly harsh others users that don't share their opinion and like old games calling it "stupid horrible post" and all the likes.

If realism is so wanted in the game, it should be included regardless of making the game better. It was many of you requested. You wanted the FM games to be close to realism as possible. Now which is it?

I dont think they would ever put this into the game due to legal reasons and quite frankly im glad. This would just leave a sour taste in the mouth, its better to concentrate on tactics and transfers than worry about your favourite player randomly dying.

I know its realistic for players to die in real life, but I play the game as a form of escapism (Im not really a football manager...sadly :() so I dont need everything to be real!

You want reality?? ok, a ex player of Benfica (Robert Enke), suicides. So if a player have low levels of mentality he'll suicide???

You must be joking!

Let's not talk about stuff like this......

If a player of mine died. I would be sad but I will find someway to deal with it.

Honestly......I seriously doubt that. If superstar player died in some accident you'd probably rage, re-load the your save so it wouldn't happen, and probably start a thread about how FM is cheating by killing off your best players ;)

As for the OP, I think that its fine the way things are because it allows the player to play however he wants to. At the end of the day its just a game and we can choose to play for all eternity, or we can retire and start again with a new manager.

You want reality?? ok, a ex player of Benfica (Robert Enke), suicides. So if a player have low levels of mentality he'll suicide???

You must be joking!

Hello... I was being sarcastic in the last part of my post. If you bother to read the entire post I said: "See now my point of realism in the game to certain point?"

Which means I do not want realism of death and corruption into the game. Well I'm against realism of Press Conferences and agents in the game, because the first one is way boring, the other has ruins Football, especially since your Portuguese and I know well football in Portugal, you know that agents are one of big factors that ruins the football.

So I want realism in the game, of course i do, but only the football part, without the corruption and all of that sort that ruins Football. An also, a bit off topic, stupidity like portuguese Football federation is doing to Portugal Manager Carlos Queiroz.

I wouldn't have a problem with it or other incidents outside foorball that got them banned if it was only regens, would be funny to see peoples reactions in an important match reading something like 'playerx appears to have had a heart attack and died'. Don't think it will be included though, would be good to see something like a player has been jailed for fighting on a night out or something though

Im sure if they put an age rating to the game that would pretty much solve legal issues involving kids being mentally scared because there regen died.

but to be honest im not a fan of death in games cause what if i eventually get an regen son and he dies....

damn right id sue for the unlawful death of my child!

A manager dying adds nothing to the game: for the AI it would have exactly the same effects as retiring, except in a morbid fashion not appropriate for a football game; for the user all it does is open up the possibility of someone's long-term save and reputation they've built on it being destroyed, which is pointless.

A newgen dying I suppose doesn't do any harm, but again, why on earth would SI code such a morbid thing into the game, when for the same effect we have 'player x has been forced to retire due to injury'? A real-life player dying in the game really would be an awful thing - we shouldn't forget that real-life tragedies happen in real life, but simulating real-life tragedies using real people (not like GTA etc) would just be wrong. We would also have ppl on the forum moaning as soon as their star striker died (quite rightly) proclaiming that the game was being unrealistic, as that player could well live to be 100 and certainly shows no signs of premature death.

there are so many more things that could be in the game than death mate to make it more realistic, honestly cannot believe that, if only a very few, people are actually for this idea. Even the OP said he didnt want it in the game, i mean you cant even see a figure of the manager walking on the touch line etc yet you want people to die to make it realistic??

A manager dying adds nothing to the game: for the AI it would have exactly the same effects as retiring, except in a morbid fashion not appropriate for a football game; for the user all it does is open up the possibility of someone's long-term save and reputation they've built on it being destroyed, which is pointless.

A newgen dying I suppose doesn't do any harm, but again, why on earth would SI code such a morbid thing into the game, when for the same effect we have 'player x has been forced to retire due to injury'? A real-life player dying in the game really would be an awful thing - we shouldn't forget that real-life tragedies happen in real life, but simulating real-life tragedies using real people (not like GTA etc) would just be wrong. We would also have ppl on the forum moaning as soon as their star striker died (quite rightly) proclaiming that the game was being unrealistic, as that player could well live to be 100 and certainly shows no signs of premature death.

not to mention the "Who's the youngest player to die in your game?" thread or the "What date did xxxx die in your game?" thread. Glad SI are smart enough to never allow this into the game

Death needs too be in the game. Add realism. Someone dies of heart attack, then you need check better on your players condition. This needs to be in the game!
I don't know why people have a problem if it's in the game.

"Needing" death in a game that simulates the lives and careers of real people is just twisted in my opinion. Death isn't "needed" anywhere in FM. You really want to open a news item telling you that Player X has just been killed in a car accident? Or that Manager Y has just died of a heart attack? If I ever saw that Player Z had just died of cancer, I would be seriously offended as I've had family members pass away due to it.

But apparently our sensitivity towards this is "ridiculous", in your words, so I guess as long as YOU'RE happy, then nothing else matters. I only hope you're a kid and you don't quite realise what you're saying. However, if you're in your 20's, then you really need to get out more.

Certain people seem to have blurred the line between what is realistic and what is fun.

Sure we want FM to be realistic but at the same time it needs to tweak certain aspects to ensure the game is still fun. Even if death was limited to the manager you are controlling could anyone possibly say their gaming experience would be improved by it being in there?

You have to remember this is a video game and therefore it can't have every little aspect of it being 100% realistic. If you are pedantic enough to want every little thing to be perfectly realistic maybe you should.......I dunno walk out your front door and go and experience that little thing called 'real life'.

Also with regards to forced retirement would anyone say they would be happy to see that they are forced to retire after playing with a manager for 50-60 seasons?

The vast majority of people don't play for that long but I can safely say that 99.9% of those who do would not support such an inclusion

As long as SI are dealing with real life names (players, clubs, leagues, sponsor companies etc.), it will never worth to risk of getting sued.

For the sake of the reality, how about developing a separate game, like Football Manager 2011: Jailbreak Edition or Anonymous Edition?

Everything is already there, same coding, same engine, same formulas. You just need to create a virtual world with fake country names. cities, teams. Game already has a regen system, so no need to worry about that part :D

You can add as much reality as you want: Naked chicks interrupting the match, hooligans rioting, your star player is jailed for having sex in the public etc. etc.

Alright, it seems the majority don't want death in the game and im sure SI wouldn't either. A retirement age for managers however should be consider. Realistically the age of 80 for a manager should be the maximum.

You can already retire at a reasonable age, forced retirements would only frustrate people who want to play for longer.

I think pretty much every point has been covered. I agree that death shouldn't be part of the game. Just the length of time people were playing made me wonder whether there was ever an end point.

Going back to the early football manager thing I mentioned. Am I dreaming that or does anyone else remember something similar. I'm finding it hard to remember exactly what game it was, but it may well have been one of the first championship managers and all the players were fictional. I was pretty shocked when it said my best player had died in a car accident. I was only about 10 at the time. Does anyone else remember anything like this?

I can see why death doesn't get touched with a bargepole, even for newgens. I used to play a play-by-mail F1 management game around the time when F1 cars could still kill people, and the creator/admin of that said he'd never include death, or even injury, in the game, even though all drivers in the game were fictitious.

But on the subject of the manager (the player of the game) getting unrealisitically old, personally I wouldn't complain if you were "forced" to retire once you'd hit a certain age like 80 or whatever, but I won't lose sleep about it. If I ever manage to keep a game going that long (unlikely as I tend to buy FM every year and average about 1 RL month to 1 game year so run out of time), I'll just do the whole retire and create a son trick (or some other much-younger alter-ego), and people who feel strongly about this can do the same.

Also agree with the need to balance realism with fun and playability. For example to make it more realistic, playing as a manager at a big continental European club shouldn't really be able to buy and sell players and negotiate fees, wages and so on (think Perez and his personal influence of Real's transfer policy) - but I sure as hell wouldn't buy the game if that was how it worked(!)

I think that when you reach 100 in the game, the club should offer you the chance to retire and become a member of the board. Then you could create a new manager (your son or just another person) and take over the club. You would then have your old manager still in the game (otherwise after 65 odd years of managering, you don't just dissappear) but you can still carry on bringing in the glory for the family name.

Sorry about that grade.

And about Queiroz, are you against he be punished or against he still be coach???

Going bit off topic.

I don't like Queiroz being the manager of Portugal, because he doesn't have the courage to risk in playing the team into attack when the time comes. However being punished because he called a bad name to someone, just because they wanted to make inspection at 7 am in the morning, is bit ridiculous. I see far worse calling bad names and insulting ones here in these and other forums. What they are doing to Queiroz is pathetic and a joke, just because they don't want to pay the money of the rest of his contract. These last two games of Portugal are the consequences of such pathetic and joke behavior from the people in Portuguese Federation. All of them should be kicked in butt, on the way out.

Thank god things like this doesn't happen in FM.

there are so many more things that could be in the game than death mate to make it more realistic, honestly cannot believe that, if only a very few, people are actually for this idea. Even the OP said he didnt want it in the game, i mean you cant even see a figure of the manager walking on the touch line etc yet you want people to die to make it realistic??

Dude, read again my post and the post I wrote a few posts bellow that one, where I say, I was being sarcastic in last paragraph of that post.

I was being sarcastic, because I once told I didn't want Press Conferences because was too boring and some said they wanted FM as realistic as possible. In that post I was being sarcastic about that.

Going bit off topic.

I don't like Queiroz being the manager of Portugal, because he doesn't have the courage to risk in playing the team into attack when the time comes. However being punished because he called a bad name to someone, just because they wanted to make inspection at 7 am in the morning, is bit ridiculous. I see far worse calling bad names and insulting ones here in these and other forums. What they are doing to Queiroz is pathetic and a joke, just because they don't want to pay the money of the rest of his contract. These last two games of Portugal are the consequences of such pathetic and joke behavior from the people in Portuguese Federation. All of them should be kicked in butt, on the way out.

Thank god things like this doesn't happen in FM.

No one likes the Portuguese Federation, heven us!! They steal the club of my city (Chaves) twice!! They put my team in a competicion with 5 clubs of madeira (the club dont have money, and they want us to go to the islands 5 times)

Going off topic here as some others have, but I don't want to irriate people by constantly making new threads and I didn't see much using quick search (maybe I'm using it wrong) But someone mentioned here about being asked to become part of the board at 100. I think 80 is more realistic and I think it'd be a good addition. But it got me thinking again about another role not in the game (for human managers anyway)

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea to have the option to start the game as a player manager, creating a playing profile for yourself or whatever. I used to always think it'd be pretty cool to be a player manager for a few years before hanging up my boots.

Feel free to say if I should make a new topic about this or if there is one already.

Going off topic here as some others have, but I don't want to irriate people by constantly making new threads and I didn't see much using quick search (maybe I'm using it wrong) But someone mentioned here about being asked to become part of the board at 100. I think 80 is more realistic and I think it'd be a good addition. But it got me thinking again about another role not in the game (for human managers anyway)

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea to have the option to start the game as a player manager, creating a playing profile for yourself or whatever. I used to always think it'd be pretty cool to be a player manager for a few years before hanging up my boots.

Feel free to say if I should make a new topic about this or if there is one already.

But what would you do then as a player-manager in game?

Sure you can play yourself, but in all other aspects you're still just a manager.

"Needing" death in a game that simulates the lives and careers of real people is just twisted in my opinion. Death isn't "needed" anywhere in FM. You really want to open a news item telling you that Player X has just been killed in a car accident? Or that Manager Y has just died of a heart attack? If I ever saw that Player Z had just died of cancer, I would be seriously offended as I've had family members pass away due to it.

But apparently our sensitivity towards this is "ridiculous", in your words, so I guess as long as YOU'RE happy, then nothing else matters. I only hope you're a kid and you don't quite realise what you're saying. However, if you're in your 20's, then you really need to get out more.

If Player X died. It'll be sad but interesting to see how the team deals with it.

Honestly......I seriously doubt that. If superstar player died in some accident you'd probably rage, re-load the your save so it wouldn't happen, and probably start a thread about how FM is cheating by killing off your best players ;)

As for the OP, I think that its fine the way things are because it allows the player to play however he wants to. At the end of the day its just a game and we can choose to play for all eternity, or we can retire and start again with a new manager.

That's possible. But I will be angry though. But hey, I get angry if my team loses so if superstar of mine dies, it will be horrible but there will be some way to deal with it.

'You have been informed by your asistant that you died while supervising training this morning. The board has decided that since you had not accomplished anything noteworthy during your tenure, they have rejected your request for a scale model bronze statue to be built outside the stadium. Good riddance.'

[uLTIMATUM]

Archived