Laptop or Desktop

Hi all,

I am looking to get a laptop or a desktop computer before i go to Uni, for obvious reasons a laptop would be easier to take, but i have heard many bad things about football manager on laptops.

What do you think i should get laptop or desktop?

I have £600/700 to spend and i want something that will do everything i would need to do at uni and also play football manager (incl 3D match engine).

Thanks,

Andy

The only problem with the game on laptop is the increased scrolling you need to do as the screen is smaller than you would have with a desktop.

Don't need to worry about this thanks to MichaelMurrayUk who made a skin designed for laptops/netbooks, no more scrolling :)

Hi all,

I am looking to get a laptop or a desktop computer before i go to Uni, for obvious reasons a laptop would be easier to take, but i have heard many bad things about football manager on laptops.

What do you think i should get laptop or desktop?

I have £600/700 to spend and i want something that will do everything i would need to do at uni and also play football manager (incl 3D match engine).

Thanks,

Andy

I play FM on a laptop and it's fine. I recommend these laptops for you -

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/satellite-a660-laptops/

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5739G_Laptop_LX.PH602.129/version.asp

- Thanks for the replys, all very helpful :)

- Joe, do those laptops you suggested display the 3D well? and would it take up much of the memory?

Andy

If an intergrated GPU then yes, wil be apportioned some of the System Memory. With a dedicated GPU no. However the game is more reliant on DRAM, so anything on a Core I3 with 4Gig will be very good. Personaly I would go with these. Clicky

I'd personally go with a desktop. The laptop might give you portability but unless you're going to really make use of it then a desktop might be better (I'm not including actually taking your computer from home to uni and vice versa). IMO Desktops give you better longevity, in terms of upgradability and the ability to replace parts and better value for money. Perhaps a compromise of a small form factor PC and a LCD monitor would suit you best. This would give you make transferring the unit easier and still give you some abilty to upgrade in the future.

- Thanks for the replys, all very helpful :)

- Joe, do those laptops you suggested display the 3D well? and would it take up much of the memory?

Andy

They all have a big hard drives so memory isn't an issue. All of them have good graphics cards also so 3d should run well. :thup:

on a side note can anybody tell me if a dell studio 15 with

- an intel i3 2.26Ghz processor

- 3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]

- 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card

would this run FM10/11 quickly

thanks

this comes to £579 on the dell website btw

Yes sounds good so far, can you tell how much RAM it's got as that effects how well a computer plays FM.

- 3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]

3gb of ddr3

my desktop at the moment has currently got 3.25gb of ddr2 on xp so i imagine that the ddr3 should be better

The only problem with the game on laptop is the increased scrolling you need to do as the screen is smaller than you would have with a desktop.

To be fair though, you can get a laptop with a better resolution than a Desktop PC these days.

For that money you have I would recommend a Dell Studio 15 with 4GB of Ram and an entry level Intel Core i3.

Archived