Round 1 Dream Team

PMLF

In Brazil we typically give relatively low ratings, 10s and 9s are very rare. I don't think there is a specific reason for that, maybe we are just too demanding, but that happens with pretty much all serious media sources, it's very rare for example for the best player of the Brasileirão get more from Placar Magazine than 7 as the average rating.

Bit off imo, they should have included the entire England team....

....joking of course, they should have put Lahm and Ozil in there though.

Both of them are in the team.

How do they give a rating to the coach? Results versus expectations given the player poll at his disposal?

I don't think Germany's manager deserves a lot of credit for taking them to the 1/4 tbh, yeah the squad is young but I think it's much more impressive to reach the 1/4 for Ghana, Uruguay or Paraguay than for Germany.

germany were expected to reach the quarters before the tournament, but no-one expecting them to trash england 4-1. fully justified that he is the coach of the dream team imo

Uruguay wasn't even expected to get out of the group stage. I'm not saying that Germany's manager didn't do well, I'm saying that other teams had more impressive results.

And the scoreline between Germany and England doesn't really reflect the game tbh.

uruguay were hardly impressive in their game versus south korea especially tactically. they should have killed the game earlier. they sat back and made it dangerous for themselves. germany impressed against england tactically. low knew what the specific weaknesses the england team had and attacked them (as said in his interview)

uruguay were hardly impressive in their game versus south korea especially tactically. they should have killed the game earlier. they sat back and made it dangerous for themselves. germany impressed against england tactically. low knew what the specific weaknesses the england team had and attacked them (as said in his interview)

How did Germany impress against England tactically? They had a two goal lead that they let disapear in a few minutes against a team that had only scored 2 goals in three full games, against much worse teams.

How did Germany impress against England tactically? They had a two goal lead that they let disapear in a few minutes against a team that had only scored 2 goals in three full games, against much worse teams.

Loew explained, "We put on a magnificent display against a very experienced England side. Tactically we were great. Until 2-0 we were in full control and we could have scored a third.

"When they scored we had a very difficult period. But in the second half they had to come forward more and we were extremely successful in our counter-attacks.

"I have to say that today we were dominant over long periods of the game. We were successful in having Klose lure John Terry out of the defence.

"We knew their two midfielders Gerrard and Lampard get forward to support the attack, so we knew that there would be space. We wanted to force Terry to come out of defence to create spaces between the defenders."

Eduardo :cool:

Heinze? :confused:

Eduardo has been great and he's done well for Braga too. Maybe Benfica should have signed him... I'm guessing you are a Benfica fan. Roberto has done well and I'm sure JJ loves his size, but he's unproven, just a good half season isn't enough IMO (although he always was a promising goalie).

Btw, ironically, Portugal, a team known for their attacking players, have their strength at back. If only you guys could find a Rui Costa, that is the kind of player that is missing now. Oh, and although CR is more dominating, I still think Figo was a better footballer.

Eduardo has been great and he's done well for Braga too. Maybe Benfica should have signed him... I'm guessing you are a Benfica fan. Roberto has done well and I'm sure JJ loves his size, but he's unproven, just a good half season isn't enough IMO (although he always was a promising goalie).

Not really. :D I do like some of their players though. I agree that 8.5m was exagerated... LFV (president) is risking way too much. He is very confident in a good European campaign but if for some reason that fails, time to sell the whole squad for half price.. :c

Eduardo has been performing above expectations just like Coentrao.. Some Benfica supporters are already questioning themselves about whether they should have signed Eduardo for 4m when they had the chance. :p

Btw, ironically, Portugal, a team known for their attacking players, have their strength at back. If only you guys could find a Rui Costa, that is the kind of player that is missing now. Oh, and although CR is more dominating, I still think Figo was a better footballer.

Too bad we used the 5th centre back (5th in the WC list because he is worse than some that were left out) as right back... :D (he is slow and can't attack at all...)

Odd that after all those years together at Utd, Queiroz still doesn't know how to use Ronaldo... Basically tells him to get on the pitch with no real instructions... :c

Plus he can't motivate players at all...

Odd that after all those years together at Utd, Queiroz still doesn't know how to use Ronaldo... Basically tells him to get on the pitch with no real instructions... :c

He used Beckham in the central midfield for Real too. And Yes - he cant motivate players at all. The guy has no leader-charisma

Not really. :D I do like some of their players though. I agree that 8.5m was exagerated... LFV (president) is risking way too much. He is very confident in a good European campaign but if for some reason that fails, time to sell the whole squad for half price.. :c

Eduardo has been performing above expectations just like Coentrao.. Some Benfica supporters are already questioning themselves about whether they should have signed Eduardo for 4m when they had the chance. :p

Sorry then, but you are Portuguese, right? We need a Portuguese community and a census. There are many of you, but you guys are only active during big tournaments...

Too bad we used the 5th centre back (5th in the WC list because he is worse than some that were left out) as right back... :D (he is slow and can't attack at all...)

Well, I think I heard that PF was injured and Miguel is Miguel... although he was never going to have a chance against a mobile player like Villa.

The problem with CR is that he should be better when he doesn't have the ball. I feel that he only plays when he gets the ball and that's not good. He gets the ball, does his thing and then disconnects. I hope he improves under Mourinho.

i think steinwire (or whatever his name is) of germany merits a place in this last team in veron's place.

i don't even understand why veron is in this team if he didn't play against greece and he came on as a substitute on the second half against mexico doing an OK job.

Something wrong with the ratings too tbh, it's not like Tevez is by far the best player of the tournament so far yet his grade is far greater than anyone else's.

Re: Low. Don't think that warrants a coach of the tournament award tbh but fair enough.

I can´t even take this serious. I mean, Veron....He plays like a granny on speed. And Heinze, you gotta be kidding me. He is such a bad defender, Germany will rip him apart.

Where is Sneijder (2 goals, 2 amazing assists)?

Heinze, amazingly enough, wasn't half bad this tournament. I'm still expecting his one huge mistake, but hopefully that won't come.

I don't know what Veron is doing here though. Tevez? Don't know if by far, but yeah, he's been one of the best, he puts a lot of effort, even in defense. I am biased towards him though :p

It's a bit weird they've got Robben in there... He had one match as a sub (where he did play well) and one match as a starter (where he also played well) but I would expect he should have played more to be in a Dream Team.

Mind you, that team is based on the 1/8 finals only.

Mind you, that team is based on the 1/8 finals only.

Yes, but these ratings are based on their performances up to the R16, it's just that players whose teams were eliminated in the group stage are not eligible for their dream team anymore.

Marca's dream team of the R16 include Michel Bastos: :eek::D

1278019302_0.jpg

I don't know what the Euros are seeing on him in his WC performances, some other guys too have praised him on this board, while I am yet to find any Brazilian who liked his performances.

Obs: No bias from Marca on that team. :D

Might as well post the one on TF1 then. So far it is:

-------------------------------Kingson (Ghana)

Pantsil (Ghana) - John Mensah (Ghana) - Juan (Brazil) - Salcido (Mexico)

-----------------Prince-Boateng (Ghana) - Sneijder (Holland)

-----Muller (Germany) -------------------------------Robben (Holland)

-------------------Asamoah Gyan (Ghana) - Villa (Spain)

If you want to see the individual grades and the grades of the top players missing out: http://coupe-du-monde.tf1.fr/actu-coupe-du-monde/votre-meilleur-onze-5903540.html

A bit biased too :D

Yes, but these ratings are based on their performances up to the R16, it's just that players whose teams were eliminated in the group stage are not eligible for their dream team anymore.

I was talking about the Goal.com team that Micado posted, not the Globo team, because I thought that was the team Klipdrift was commenting on.

Yeah, the goal.com was only about the R16 games, agreed Robben doesn't deserve a place in the team of the WC (yet) as he played not enough games.

but Bastos :D I love it how the Dutch TV commentators every time bring up he was rejected at Feyenoord/Excelsior and now made it into the Brazilian team.

Archived