It's time: the FIFA 2010 CSE World Cup (OOTP)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain v Honduras

World Cup Group G

Line Ups -

Spain: Casillas, Ramos, Navarro, Amorebieta, Pique, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Navas, Mata, Silva, Villa.

Honduras: Canales, Sabillon, Figueroa, Bernardez, Chavez, Thomas, Oliva, Martinez, Cesar Leon, Palacios, Suazo.

Should be a walk over for what many consider to be the tournament favourites, there are a few surprises in the starting 11 for Spain whether the manager is resting some of his stars for the harder games or whether he thinks this is his strongest 11 I don't know but I think Honduras will be heartened by the absence of Andres Iniesta and Carles Puyol.

First Half

Honduras start things off and it's a relatively quiet start with the only real noteworthy events in the opening 20 minutes being 2 Navas corners being headed over. Finally a little action with 37 minutes gone, Navas send Villa away in behind Figueroa and the striker shoots from a tight angle, the rebound falls to Silva but it's saved well. Spain seem to have come to life all of a sudden, Xavi picks out Mata who cuts in from his wing and tries to curl one into the corner but he just misses. Just before half time Suazo fires in a shot for Honduras from an angle, it doesn't trouble Casillas but at least he tried.

Half Time - Spain 0-0 Honduras

Second Half

A better start to this half for Spain, Xavi works himself some space and shoots from range but it goes wide. Best chance of the game for Spain and it falls to Silva, he has space inside the box but blasts his shot straight at the keeper. Honduras are doing well to hang on with just over ten minutes left, Iniesta is the latest to try his luck but it's tipped over the bar. Three minutes to go and Spain have a great chance, Bojan spreads it wide to Cazorla who crosses low towards Villa who's 6 yards from goal but Canales pulls off the save. Spain pushing hard for the winner with another corner, Honduras partially clear but Pique keeps it alive, he squares it to Villa on the edge of the box GOAL for Spain and Villa comes good in the end. It looked like a pretty tame effort but it went through a lot of bodies and the goalie must have seen it late. Finally Spain have the lead.

Full Time - Spain 1-0 Honduras

Well finally, after 72% of possession Spain finally got the breakthrough. It was a game they never looked like losing but towards the end it was starting to look like they wouldn't find the back of the net. In the end though Mr Reliable David Villa found his scoring boots, despite having an average game at best. Honduras have nothing to be ashamed of, they made it very dificult for the European Champions and were just minutes away from claiming a point.

Man of the Match - Gerard Pique (8.9) improves his ever growing reputation as one of the best defenders out there with a very good performance, in fairness the Hondurans didn't pose much of a threat but stil,l the defender did what he had to and came out of the game with an assist.

Phew ;_;

Yeah I was restign a couple of players, Plus givine Amorebieta some playing time, since he is either far too good in the game, or undervalued in real life, he is deserving of beign able to compete for Spain spots.

Deadline for Groups E, F and G

France v Denmark

North Korea v Cameroon

England v Argentina

Ivory Coast v Mexico

Honduras v Nigeria

Spain v Switzerland

That's your next lot of fixtures and the deadline is 9pm Thursday 1st July (UK time) As always any questions/requests can be posted in here or PM'd and if you miss the deadline but still want to send me tactics that's fine but remember they might not get used if I've already played the match. Once again please double check your squad before you send me your starting 11, it makes it easier for me if I don't have to chase people up about players that aren't even in the squad.

USA v Brazil

World Cup Group H

Line Ups -

USA: Howard, Spector, Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Jones, Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan, Davies, Altidore.

Brazil: Julio Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Alex, Ronaldinho, Felipe Melo, Robinho, Kaka, Pato, Hulk.

Could be an interesting game here as the talented Brazil side take on a USA side that shouldn't be underestimated. There is plenty of attacking intent in both line ups but Brazil boast two former FIFA World Player of the year winners in Kaka and Ronaldinho and it might just be that sort of talent that see's them come out with the win.

First Half

It's the Americans who kick off but are straight away under pressure, Bradley gives the ball away and Ronaldinho sends Pato away down the right, he beats his man for pace and floats in a cross for Hulk to head past the advancing Howard but luckily for the goalkeeper Spector is back there to head it off the line. The USA mount an attack of their own a few minutes later, some slick passing through the midfield gives Altidore a shooting chance but he only finds the side netting. A bright start to the game but it's died off a bit, Pato controls a Ronaldinho cross and turns but Howard is right on top of him and gathers the ball. USA try to counter attack and Bradley fires in a shot from 20 yards only for Julio Cesar to beat it away. Bradley seems determined to score from range today, he blasts a shot goalwards from about 35 yards but it flies wide and that'll be the end of the half.

Half Time - USA 0-0 Brazil

Second Half

An hour into the game and Hernanes is on and causing problems, his cross finds the head of Kaka but he can't keep it down. Just over 20 minutes to go and Brazil are turning on the style, some quick passing down the right plays Kaka in on goal but the angle is against him and Howard is able to make the save, Robinho picks up the scraps and feeds a low cross towards the far post for Pato, GOAL Brazil and it's the youngster who finds the back of the net to put his side ahead. Seven minutes left and again Brazil make progress down the right, Hernanes' cross finds Adriano's head but Howard tips it onto the bar and claims at his 2nd attempt. With less than 2 minutes off normal time left Brazil look to attack again, Pato goes down under the challenge of Jones who has already been booked RED CARD for the USA midfielder for a 2nd bookable offence. Luckily for them they don't have much longer to hold on for.

Full Time - USA 0-1 Brazil

Quite a scrappy game at times and not one filled with excitement but in the end it was definitely the better team that won, Brazil certainly looked the most likely to score especially when they attacked down that right hand side with first Ronaldinho and then Hernanes. USA didn't offer much going forward but did well to restrict Brazil to one goal, both teams will need to play better if they have hopes of winning this World Cup.

Man of the Match - Robinho (7.4) just about edges out Ronaldinho due to his assist I suspect which seems slightly harsh because the left winger didn't do too much else. Good performances also from Felipe Melo and the two full backs but Robinho takes the plaudits.

Portugal v Ghana

World Cup Group H

Line Ups -

Portugal: Eduardo, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Carvalho, Alves, Pepe, Veloso, Deco, Ronaldo, Simao, Liedson.

Ghana: Larsen, Opare, Asare, Vorsah, Mensah, Annan, Muntari, Essien, Pantsil, Quincy, Gyan.

Should be another close match in this tough Group H, on paper you'd say Portugal should win fairly easily but we all know they quite often struggle to produce. There is a wealth of talent in the side so there's no reason they shouldn't win this game but the Ghana team has a few well known players as well and they'll be no pushovers.

First Half

Portugal kick off and start very brightly. Ronaldo skips infield and lays the ball back to Pepe, he advances before sliding a pass into the path of Veloso GOAL for Portugal, the midfielder smashes in a shot from just outside the box, on his left foot and running away from goal it really is a great strike to give his side the lead after 28 seconds. Ghana are seemingly in big trouble here, just 3 minutes in and Liedson almost nets his first international goal after a sharp turn on the edge of the box, only Larsen is able to deny him. Portugal seem very confident after their quick start and Deco tries his luck from a free kick just outside the box, he curls it low and around the wall into the bottom corner GOAL for Portugal, a very clever free kick left the goalkeeper no chance. Ghana try to strike back with a free kick of their own, right on the 18 yard line for Muntari to hit but he can't get it up and then down again in time. Deco and Larsen do their best to liven up a game that has quietened down since the electric start, the former shoots from all over 40 yards but it deflects behind for a corner and the latter comes flying out of his goal to punch the corner clear in style.

Half Time - Portugal 2-0 Ghana

Second Half

Deco seems determined to score a screamer today, a good Portugal passing move gives him room to shoot but his 30 yard effort goes wide. Just before the hour mark Quincy springs into life, he goes past about 4 defenders on his way infield before shooting for the top corner, a good attempt but it goes wide. More good passing from Portugal almost see's them add to their lead, Simao curls in a cross which Ronaldo gets on the end of only to see his effort rebound off the post. Just minutes later they do just that, Veloso heads a ball into the penalty area and Liedson manages to hold off 3 defenders and smash his shot past the goalkeeper at the near post GOAL for Portugal and it's Liedson's dream debut goal. Veloso is involved again as he tee's up Simao for a shot from 25 yards, it's decent but drifts over the bar. Ghana create half a chance with a high cross into the area, Edurado comes out and gets a fist to it and it's enough to clear. Five minutes to go and Nani fancies his chances from 35 yards, it's a fierce effort and almost dips in. Cristiano Ronaldo tries to have the last say of the game, he skips past a challenge and shoots left footed from the edge of the box but can't keep his effort down.

Full Time - Portugal 3-0 Ghana

Portugal with an impressive win off the back of a great start, Ghana were out of the game before they realised they were in it and were always going to struggle to come back from behind. It didn't help their cause that Portugal seemed to be in the mood from back to front, not a bad performance from any of the Portuguese players.

Man of the Match - Miguel Veloso (8.1) was instrumental in the win with that early goal getting them off to a great start, from then on he continued to be involved in everything and got himself an assist for the Liedson goal although much credit should go to the striker for that one. A very good performance all the way through though and Portugal may be a bigger danger than some people might've thought.

Great start for Portugal, Was reluctant about playing Veloso as I thought he may have been to inexperienced but it turns out he is more than ready for a World Cup start. Fantastic performance and even better considering I'm still trying to work out how to get the best out of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Fantastic match report Whoopy, KUTGW!!

Whoopy, I have e-mailed my Paraguay tactics/starting lineup for the match against Greece.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Seem to have missed this before, I haven't got an email from you so if you could re-send it or PM me asap that'd be great. I'm just waiting on you before I can play the game, seems harsh to holiday your manager when you met the deadline but I didn't get it. Have also PM'd you about it Kenco.

Seem to have missed this before, I haven't got an email from you so if you could re-send it or PM me asap that'd be great. I'm just waiting on you before I can play the game, seems harsh to holiday your manager when you met the deadline but I didn't get it. Have also PM'd you about it Kenco.

I'll try the e-mail again this evening, otherwise I will just PM the details.

Slovenia v Italy

World Cup Group A

Line Ups -

Slovenia: Handanovic, Ilic, Jokic, Suler, Cesar, Birsa, Ceh, Koren, Stevanovic, Novakovic, Strbac.

Italy: Buffon, Santon, De Cegile, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Balotelli, Criscito, De Rossi, Gattuso, Amauri, Gilardino.

Should be an Italian victory but having been shocked by Uruguay already it's possible Slovenia could do the same. Having beaten New Zealand in their opening game, a point from this one would put Slovenia in a very good position to qualify so don't expect them to go down easily.

First Half

Italy kick off and it's a rather dull opening 15 minutes with the highlight being a long clearance from the Slovenia keeper being headed over the bar. Finally the game comes alive with Gilardino playing in Balotelli, his low shot beats the goalkeeper at his near post but as the youngster turns to celebrate he see's the offside flag raised. A big chance for Amauri just before the half hour mark, De Rossi played him in but he failed to beat the keeper one on one. Five minutes before half time Koren has the ball about 25 yards out, he lays it off to Strbac who shoots GOAL for Slovenia, it took a massive deflection and loops over Buffon. Slovenia almost double their lead moments later, Novakovic gets himself some space in the area but his shot is straight at Buffon.

Half Time - Slovenia 1-0 Italy

Second Half

Italy start in the offensive and they need to, a loss will see them all but out of the tournament, Amauri tries a spectacular shot from 25 yards but can't keep it down. Less than ten minutes into the half Balotelli whips in a corner, the goalie comes to punch clear but only gets fresh air GOAL for Italy and Criscito has his first international goal to put his side level. Slovenia try to re-take the lead with Stevanovic shooting from range but it goes just wide of Buffon's far post. Both teams seem to be cancelling each other out defensively and are being reduced to long shots, Cassano has the latest but it sails wide of the top corner he was aiming for. Fifteen minutes to go and Birsa has a good chance, he strides onto a pass into the area and takes his shot first time but into the side netting. Moments later and Koren turns his defender well on the edge of the box and produces a great shot, it looks destined to find the back of the net but Buffon tips it over with a brilliant save. Into injury time and Italy create a golden opportunity to take the win, De Rossi gets on the end of a great pass and has only the keeper to beat, his shot is good but Handanovic produces a fantastic save to keep it level.

Full Time - Slovenia 1-1 Italy

Certainly not the result Italy were after but on the back of that performance they may well be happy with a point. Slovenia may have taken the lead with a bit of luck but they deserved at least the point they got today, maybe even all three. It now leaves the Italians in a dangerous position, they'll need to beat the New Zealanders and hope Uruguay beat Slovenia, that is assuming New Zealand don't pull of a shock in the other game today.

Man of the Match - Mario Balotelli (8.0) somehow takes this one, it seems a few of the Italy players got better ratings than I would've given them while the Slovenians have been harshly judged. Anyway the winger set up the goal from his corner and had one ruled out for offside, other than that I can't see much to put him above the rest.

Uruguay v New Zealand

World Cup Group A

Line Ups -

Uruguay: Castillo, Diogo, Fucile, Britos, Caceres, Maxi Pereira, Rodriguez, Gargano, Albin, Suarez, Forlan.

New Zealand: Moss, Boyens, Lochhead, Old, Nelsen, Elliot, Oughton, Bertos, James, Milne, Wood.

After a good start with victory over Italy Uruguay will want to press on and secure their qualification with victory today. Their opponents are certainly not the best but will be looking to try and score their first World Cup points although a draw would be a big success.

First Half

Uruguay get things going and they test Glenn Moss out early, Forlan tries his luck from 30 yards and the keeper passes his first test although concedes a corner in the process. It's been a surprisingly quiet opening half an hour but Uruguay try to inject some energy, Rodriguez gets clear but Moss makes the save. A minute later and Suarez gets way down the right hand side, he crosses and causes mayhem in the New Zealand box, I think there's about 3 touches before Maxi Pereira knocks it in for a Uruguay GOAL.

Half Time - Uruguay 1-0 New Zealand

Second Half

It's been a very slow start to this half as well and it's past the hour mark before we get our first action of any note, Albin plays a pass into the feet of Suarez, he lays it back to Forlan with his first touch who also takes it first time GOAL Uruguay, it absoloutely flew into the back of the net "you would've needed two keepers to save that" says FM. A wonderful goal from 30 yards out. A couple of minutes later Suarez plays provider again and again Forlan is the benefactor, he plays a neat pass into the box GOAL Uruguay, Forlan finishes calmly into the bottom corner but he's hurt himself in the process. Less than 20 minutes to go and the game is well and truly alive, Suarez at the heart of things again as he runs down the right and crosses GOAL for the substitute Cavani as he heads in from close range. New Zealand with (I think) their first effort on goal, Nelsen meets a corner with his head but it goes high and wide. All of a sudden New Zealand are on the front foot, Wood plays in Milne who has a good shot but he's denied very well by Castillo. Uruguay half clear but New Zealand are back again this time with Wood, he's only got the keeper to beat but Castillo holds onto his clean sheet.

Full Time - Uruguay 4-0 New Zealand

Was probably about what we expected going into the game and despite a slow first half they really game out all guns blazing in the second. Some very good football from the South Americans and it's no surprise they seal their progression to the next round. New Zealand would've been quite happy at half time but unfortunately they couldn't hold things together for the whole match.

Man of the Match - Luis Suarez (9.0) had a great game and no one can deny him this award, even the 2 goal hero Diego Forlan. Both of the strikers were on fine form but Suarez's hard work, 2 assists and the fact he posed a constant threat throughout put him just above Forlan who may have scored the goal of the tournament.

Greece v Paraguay

World Cup Group B

Line Ups -

Greece: Sifakis, Seitaridis, Spyropoulos, Moras, Papastathopoulos, Tziolis, Ninis, Tzavelas, Katsouranis, Torosidis, Gekas.

Paraguay: Villar, da Silva, Caceres, Veron, Vera, Ortigoza, Barreto, Salcedo, Cabanas, Santa Cruz, Cardozo.

This is the one we've all been waiting for (maybe) The massive clash of the titans as former European Champions Greece take on Paraguay. Clearly the smart money is on Greece with the genius that is Whoopy Dee'e managing them how could they go wrong? Should be an interesting game as Greece look to a solid defensive unit while Paraguay rely on their flamboyant attack.

First Half

Greece get the game going and have an early chance through Gekas, a long clearance from the goalkeeper is flicked on to the striker and he cuts inside before shooting narrowly over. Thirteen minutes in Moras goes down injured and quite unsportingly the Paraguayans carry on, Santa Cruz has a shot from range but it's too high. Greece break forward again with Gekas as he runs away down the right, he manages to find room for the cross but the resulting header is poor. Seitaridis goes for a goal of the tournament type attempt close the the half hour mark, a corner is headed clear and he takes on a defender with his first touch before driving a shot towards the top corner with his second, it didn't miss by much either. From the goal kick Greece win the ball back and this time Kastouranis has a go from range only to see his shot bounce back off the post. Santa Cruz has looked the most likely so far for Paraguay and he has another shot, this time from 18 yards but again it's too high. Greece go close again with 5 minutes until the break, Gekas again breaks away down the right and his cross finds Kastarounis who heads just wide.

Half Time - Greece 0-0 Paraguay

Second Half

The second half starts with a bang for Paraguay, it's a bang for Santa Cruz and he's had to go off. An early chance for the Paraguayans as a corner is taken short, the Greeks have fallen asleep and it takes a good save from Sifakis to keep things level. Greece seem happy to ping shots in from distance, Torosidis tries his luck but his curling effort goes wide off the target. With half an hour to go Gekas almost scores a great goal, he goes past three defenders on the edge of the box but fires wide from about 12 yards. Into the final five minutes and it's Greece applying the pressure with corner after corner, one of them almost pays off when Seitaridis picks up the scraps and shoots from range again but he still can't find the target.

Full Time - Greece 0-0 Paraguay

Well in the end this much anticipated game ends in a boring goalless draw, neither manager will be too displeased I wouldn't have thought as it puts them both in a decent position, Greece will probably be the happier as they have South Korea to play whilst the Paraguayans still have to take on the Germans.

Man of the Match - Sotiris Ninis (7.4) was one of the few bright sparks in an otherwise dull game, some good passing and running with the ball caused Paraguay a few problems but nothing to write home about. His fellow winger Giorgos Tzavelas would've been equally deserving of the award as he also played well in a very average game.

South Korea v Germany

World Cup Group B

Line Ups -

South Korea: Young-Dae, Young-Pyo, Chi-Woo, Jin-Kyoo, Chi-Kon, Nam-Il, Ji Sung, Keun-Ho, Ji-Hoon, Chu-Young, Young-Rok.

Germany: Adler, Beck, Lahm, Mertesacker, Friedrich, Rolfes, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Ozil, Gomez, Klose.

Should be a good match here with both sides losing in the opening game so both need the points very much, on paper Germany are the better team and should run out comfortable winners but the South Koreans are more than capable of pulling off a shock win.

First Half

Germany kick off and threaten straight away, Podolski crosses to the head of Gomez and his header skims the crossbar. Four minutes in and Podolski looks in the mood already, another cross finds the head of Schweinsteiger but he can't beat the keeper. Slightly more than 10 minutes in and it's no surprise to see Germany take the lead, Gomez plays a great ball through to Klose and he slots past the keeper one-on-one GOAL Germany. The Germans can't count their chickens yet though, South Korea have a go with Chu-Young but Adler saves with apparent ease. Germany press on with 20 minutes gone, Schweinsteiger gives his full back the run around and whips in a cross, Podolski's header is blocked but GOAL for Germany, Rolfes fires in first time from the edge of the box into the bottom corner. A very nice finish. Just under ten minutes until half time and Klose uses his "blistering" pace down the left and gets in a cross GOAL for Schweinsteiger as he slots in with ease from 6 yards at the far post. Almost game over right before the break, Ozil is away and right down the middle but his shot leaves a lot to be desired and it's a fairly easy save in the end.

Half Time - South Korea 0-3 Germany

Second Half

South Korea almost score within 20 seconds of kick off, a good ball down the left side gets them in but the shot from the angle is too dificult. Just a minute later and it's the Germans going down their left with Podolski again, his cross finds the head of Gomez and GOAL for Germany, easy header from 6 yards and that is game over. South Korea go their closest yet and it's from a set piece, a decent shot from 30 yards but it cannons back off the bar. Podolski almost gets himself on the scoresheet almost an hour in, Klose sets him up but the shot from an angle is saved. Fifteen minutes to go and Park Ji-Sung is away down the right, he cuts the ball back to the edge of the box to Chu-Young who slides a great pass into Sung-Hoon GOAL South Korea, he runs it past Adler and straight into the back of the net, no more than consolation though surely? Park Ji-Sung trying to drag them into the game on his own, he makes Lahm look silly before whipping in a great cross but Chu-Young can't get his header on target.

Full Time - South Korea 1-4 Germany

With it being 3-0 at half time the Germans didn't really have to come out and try too hard in this half, a very convincing display from a German team that needed a big result to bounce back from their loss to Greece. South Korea can wave goodbye to their World Cup dreams, regardless of what happens on the final day they will be going home, something that will no doubt please the Greeks as it should hopefully make their job easier. The result sets up what should be an exciting last match of the group as Paraguay and Germany will fight for qualification.

Man of the Match - Miroslav Klose (9.0) a goal and an assist each for the two strikers but a yellow card for Gomez see's his strike partner take the award. Klose once again turns on the style at the World Cup and bags himself a goal.

Chile v Serbia

World Cup Group C

Line Ups -

Chile: Bravo, Fuentes, Medel, Contreras, Fierro, Valdes, Maldonado, Vidal, Valdivia, Suazo, Sanchez.

Serbia: Stojkovic, Ivanovic, Obradovic, Lukovic, Vidic, Krasic, Tosic, Kacar, Kuzmanovic, Lazovic, Zigic.

Looks like the winner of this game will more than likely win the group, Serbia currently sit atop the pile and for that reason you might expect them to continue their momentum with a win in this game. The Chileans will provide a stern test though and there is plenty of talent just waiting to take advantage if Serbia have an off day.

First Half

Chile kick off and Maldonado has an early shot from range which drifts over the bar. Hero of the last game Tosic has a good chance moments later, Zigic plays him in but the keeper comes to the rescue. Fifteen minutes in and Chile put a free kick into the box from deep, the referee blows his whistle and everyone thinks it's for a free kick but PENALTY to Chile, I can only guess for some pushing or shirt pulling by Tosic. Fierro steps up to take it GOAL for Chile, he slots it calmly down the middle and wrongfoots the goalie. Tosic does his best to make amends at the other end and he heads goalwards after a Zigic flick on but the goalkeeper saves. Less than 10 minutes until half time and Serbia are attacking down the right, the ball finds it's way to Kacar in the centre of the pitch and GOAL for Serbia, a fantastic effort that curls into the top corner from at least 25 yards. All level and that's his first goal for Serbia. Just minutes until half time and Ivanovic commits a silly foul on the half way line, the ref calls him over and he's already been booked, RED CARD for Ivanovic.

Half Time - Chile 1-1 Serbia

Second Half

Chile have a chance to take the lead through Suazo after some nice passing gets him in at the keeper but Stojkovic saves well. Chile trying their best to take advantage of the position they find themselves in, Suazo turns and shoots on the edge of the box but straight at the keeper. Into the last ten minutes and Chile try to get ahead while Vidic is down injured, it almost works out but again Stojkovic keeps the game level.

Full Time - Chile 1-1 Serbia

A good result for Chile at the start of the game but given what took place they probably would've been expecting a win. They never really did enough to push on with their man advantage though and in the end a draw is probably fair.

Man of the Match - Milos Krasic (7.2) was one of the better performers but neither team had any real stand out performers, a gritty display from the Serbs to hold on for a point after going a man down.

Japan v South Africa

World Cup Group C

Line Ups -

Japan: Ishii, Yamanaka, Toda, Yamasaki, Homma, Matsui, Seto, Hasebe, Nakamura, Suzuki, Morimoto.

South Africa: Josephs, Mere, Masilela, Mokoena, Gaxa, Mhlongo, Schalkwyk, Kanono, van Heerden, Pienaar, McCarthy.

Probably one of the least cared about games to date by anyone except the host nation, they will look to grab three points from this game against a less than magnificent Japan team. It's one of those games you expect to be boring but could well provide us with a few goals if things go the right way.

First Half

South Africa start the match and a slow start it is, finally after 25 minutes we have a shot as Pienaar cuts infield and shapes to shoot before threading it through for Kanono GOAL South Africa, a good finish past the advancing keeper to break the deadlock.

Half Time - Japan 0-1 South Africa

Second Half

After the borefest that was the first half I really hope this game picks up. South Africa do their best to keep the fans entertained, McCarthy plays the ball through to van Heerden who has a chance but his shot leaves a lot to be desired. Japan have hardly been in the game but they get a free kick 40 yards out, Nakamura whips it in but it takes a deflection into the path of Naka who takes it first time GOAL for Japan, a good first time volley into the roof of the net to level the game. Twenty minutes left on the clock and Japan are on the attack again the ball goes into the penalty box PENALTY for Japan out of nowhere. Nakamura steps up and buries it into the bottom corner GOAL Japan. Japan almost extend their lead through Hasebe, he strikes one from the edge of the area but Josephs saves well. McCarthy almost levels things with a great strike from the corner of the penalty area and it takes a great save from Ishii to deny him.

Full Time - Japan 2-1 South Africa

Not the most exciting game by any means but it picked up a bit in the 2nd half, not the result I was expecting either and one that should see the end of the hosts tournament.

Man of the Match - Steven Pienaar (8.1) may have been on the losing side but he did everything he could for that not to be the case, a nice assist for the opening goal but in the end it wasn't enough.

Holland v Slovakia

World Cup Group D

Line Ups -

Holland: Stekelenburg, van der Wiel, Emanuelson, Heitinga, Mathijsen, de Jong, Kuyt, Robben, Sneijder, Huntelaar, van Persie.

Slovakia: Kuciak, Pekarik, Hanzel, Durica, Cisovsky, Sapara, Hamsik, Sestak, Svento, Weiss, Holosko.

After Slovakia's massive win and Holland's relatively poor performance in the last game it wouldn't be a massive shock to see this be a very close game. Sure the Dutch have the edge as individuals but the Slovakians have momentum after a huge win and will know a win here should see them through.

First Half

Slovakia kick off but Holland start the brighter, Emanuelson comes forward from left back and slots it in for van Persie who turns his defender with ease GOAL Holland, a cool finish into the bottom corner giving the keeper little chance. Just the start Holland needed. Slovakia almost bounce back with Holosko getting in behind the defence, he has to take the shot on an angle though and Stekelenburg saves. The Dutch try to increase their lead through some good build up play, Sneijder gets to the byline before cutting it back but de Jong puts his shot over the bar. Huntelaar has a great chance on the half hour, de Jong shoots from range but it's a poor effort and the striker controls it well, he surely must score from 8 yards out but he puts it wide of the post. Two minutes until half time Robben goes on another run down the left, he's been causing them all sorts of problems, he checks and cuts it back to Sneijder GOAL for Holland as he drives it low into the bottom corner, a nice goal that should make things easier in the second half.

Half Time - Holland 2-0 Slovakia

Second Half

It doesn't take long for Holland to get on the attack again, Huntelaar plays van Persie in on goal, he takes on the keeper who stands up well but the Arsenal man still manages to find the finish GOAL Holland. Just past the hour mark and Afellay comes forward with the ball, he runs straight at the defence who seem scared of him and slots a pass through to Huntelaar GOAL for Holland and another nice finish into the bottom corner. Slovakia almost strike straight back as Holosko lays the ball back to Hamsik, he sets himself with his first touch before curling in a shot with his second, it has the keeper beat for all money but rebounds off the post. Twenty minutes to go and Holland get sloppy in defence, a pass doesn't reach Kuyt in the edge of the area and Slovakia get the ball, it's put into the box and GOAL Stoch gets his head on it and finds the back of the net.

Full Time - Holland 4-1 Slovakia

So after dishing out a beating in their first game Slovakia receive one in this game, the Dutch blew them off the pitch with a very good display. Clinical finishing on the end of slick passing and confident dribbling proved too much for Slovakia and anyone who had high hopes for them after the first game may have just been brought back to reality.

Man of the Match - Robin van Persie (9.0) got the ball rolling with the first goal and the Dutch never looked back, there was hardly a bad performance from a player in orange and it's displays like this one that will make people sit up and take notice of the Netherlands.

Archived