The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly, there is a difference between having a celebratory drink and an overexubirant (sp) booze up mid season.

This team celebrated together, and obviously some had more than others, but they deserved it.

Also something that has been mentioned has been the fact that most of the players are married with children. They have all come across as genuine family men and that has appealed to the public as them being more 'normal' than our footballers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "That means I can drive a flock of sheep through the town centre, drink for free in no less than 64 pubs, and get a lift home with a policemen when I become inebriated. What more could you want?"

Andrew Flintoff seems just as excited by the freedom of the city of Preston as he does by the Ashes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

and another one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "I'm ugly, I'm overweight - but I am happy," he grinned. "I'd never make a decent celebrity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffitkafb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "That means I can drive a flock of sheep through the town centre, drink for free in no less than 64 pubs, and get a lift home with a policemen when I become inebriated. What more could you want?"

Andrew Flintoff seems just as excited by the freedom of the city of Preston as he does by the Ashes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heard that at work icon_biggrin.gif Was great as they played it straight after all them people moaning about him being hammered icon_biggrin.gif

Also from Cricinfo's quote's page...

"You can have your rugby tests, you can have international soccer, but this is what matters and there has been a frittering away of the spirit and he [Mr Beazley] holds that weasel [Mr Howard] responsible for it. He's [Howard] lost it for us, we will never forget, it's a crime"

- A spokesman for Kim Beazley, Australia's leader of the opposition, makes it clear where his boss thinks the blame for the Ashes defeat lies

Australian politics doesn't do itself any favours, does it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divinity:

Murali was a chucker and Howard, being an avid cricket fan, was asked for his fan's opinion on it. Beazley trying to draw political mileage out this however shows what a f*ckwit the fat slug is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall seeing him give a public apology when his name was cleared, do you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edinho:

Howard's face when he presented the Rugby World Cup to England icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The funniest bit was the manner in which he was shaking the player's hands!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pop shot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kris:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pop shot:

Does it all go to Sky now??

angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a "maybe". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, so the contracts up and its like the footy where everyone bids a couple of quid and Sky offer half a zillion or something like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky already have it in the bag, it's just a case of whether there's an unlikely change of heart by the government/ECB i guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Categorically not going to happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divinity:

Murali was a chucker and Howard, being an avid cricket fan, was asked for his fan's opinion on it. Beazley trying to draw political mileage out this however shows what a f*ckwit the fat slug is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall seeing him give a public apology when his name was cleared, do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone says there nowt wrong with warne's action unlike Mulri, is this because hes an Aussie. The ICC have cleared Mulri twice he cant bowl his dorsa but can bowl his normal delivery which was more devistating anyway.

Cleared? He was no-balled continually and had to change his action. Surely that's a guilty verdict? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was only the doosra that went up to 14 degrees, after some work on it that was reduced to below the ten degrees the law needed at the time. Now it's been changed to 15 degrees as well so even his old doosra is fine.

His stock offspinner was only 3 or 4 degrees iirc which is less than most quick bowlers in the world so I don't see how he's anymore of a chucker than every other bowler on the planet.

Except Sarwan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim, Tim, Dimmer than dim:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

I don't recall seeing him give a public apology when his name was cleared, do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone says there nowt wrong with warne's action unlike Mulri, is this because hes an Aussie. The ICC have cleared Mulri twice he cant bowl his dorsa but can bowl his normal delivery which was more devistating anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's because Warne's action doesn't look half as bad as Murali's?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim, Tim, Dimmer than dim:

Categorically not going to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone says there nowt wrong with warne's action unlike Mulri, is this because hes an Aussie. The ICC have cleared Mulri twice he cant bowl his dorsa but can bowl his normal delivery which was more devistating anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How come you can spell categorically but you can't spell Murali or doosra?

The last time England lost a home series was the 4-1 reverse to the Aussies, since then weve played 8 series, won 6 (SL, Zim, NZ, WI, Bang & Aus) and drew 2 (India & SA). In that time weve only lost 2 test series away against Aus and SL. I think that is pretty good record for the last four years, so the Aussies can hardly say they were not warned about England's form.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Crawley:

Categorically not going to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How come you can spell categorically but you can't spell Murali or doosra? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know? Phil Tufnel couldn't spell Mulri's name on QoS.

The last time England lost a home series was the 4-1 reverse to the Aussies, since then weve played 8 series, won 6 (SL, Zim, NZ, WI, Bang & Aus) and drew 2 (India & SA). In that time weve only lost 2 test series away against Aus and SL. I think that is pretty good record for the last four years, so the Aussies can hardly say they were not warned about England's form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When did they ever say that? icon_biggrin.gif

thinking back to some of the press coverage at the start of the summer is wonderful, omg australians in county cricket! football going to outshadow cricket again in the test series!

hindsight is a wonderful wonderful thing.

Freddie, it gets better and better. Cant quote a source for this by my sister said that on the news they reported freddies mic during the singing yesterday wasnt turned off to the media and becasue he didnt know the words to jeruselam he sang the words to suspicous minds instead icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif another reason why A'F'FIFB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry_14:

Freddie, it gets better and better. Cant quote a source for this by my sister said that on the news they reported freddies mic during the singing yesterday wasnt turned off to the media and becasue he didnt know the words to jeruselam he sang the words to suspicous minds instead icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif another reason why A'F'FIFB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disgraceful behaviour icon15.gif. A terrible role model etc etc etc icon_rolleyes.gif.

Did anyone post this on Tuesday? I didn't see it. Here's various Australian predictions before the Ashes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Glenn McGrath on the Ashes scoreline:

"I think I was saying 3-0 or 4-0 about 12 months ago, thinking there might be a bit of rain around. But with the weather as it is at the moment, I have to say 5-0."

Glenn McGrath on keeping the Poms down:

"To me body language is the biggest key, and that is one thing Australia does so well. During the last two one-dayers it was quite obvious to see that England's body language has dropped - it was terrible. That to me is a sign that it won't take much to get on top of them for it to really quieten down."

Glenn McGrath on why he's so confident:

"Deep down, they don't really believe they can beat us,"

Glenn McGrath on working out Kevin Pietersen:

"It has been good to see Pietersen before the Test match. The way he plays, I think he is very much suited to the one-day game. we have seen a few things in the last few weeks to enable us to make a plan up of how to bowl to him that we think will be quite successful this summer. It's been good to see how he bats.I am sure we will work out where he doesn't like hitting the ball and try to keep it there. We have picked up a few things in the one-dayers, certain shots he plays, and I think we've got a pretty good gameplan ready to go from what we have seen." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And more...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Neil Harvey on going through undefeated: "With Steve Waugh's team and during the last ten years when England have been down, they still weren't able to do it and I'm not sure why. They should do it this year, I reckon. They are not playing many games, let's face it."

Terry Alderman: "I definitely believe if any of our batsmen get out to Giles in the Tests they should go and hang themselves. But I'm confident that won't happen."

Jeff Thomson: "Hoggard's like a net bowler when you compare him to McGrath and Kasprowicz."

Jeff Thomson: "England will lose the five-Test series 3-0 and the margin will be worse for them if it doesn't rain. If you put the players from Australia and England up against each other it is embarrassing. There is no contest between them on an individual or team basis."

Terry Alderman: "If Australia get away to a good start then England have got no chance. They have got to be competitive in that first Test at Lord's or else it's goodnight." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hindsight, is a wonderful thing...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

But in retrospect, who gives a f**k? \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough cough* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, what was that, LOSER?! icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

But in retrospect, who gives a f**k? \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough cough* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, what was that, LOSER?! icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

I blame the umpires icon_mad.gificon_razz.gif

Not seen these posted - the nominees for the ICC awards have been announced:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Inzamam-ul Haq, Jacques Kallis, Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, and Ricky Ponting.

Test Player of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Adam Gilchrist, Inzamam-ul Haq, Jacques Kallis, Younis Khan, Brian Lara, Damien Martyn, Anil Kumble, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Danish Kaneria, Kumar Sangakkara, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh and Shane Warne.

One-Day International Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Herschelle Gibbs, Adam Gilchrist, Inzamam-ul Haq, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Justin Kemp, Shoaib Malik, Kevin Pietersen, Daniel Vettori, Ricky Ponting, Kumar Sangakkara, Graeme Smith, Andrew Symonds, Marcus Trescothick, Chaminda Vaas and Yousuf Youhana.

Emerging Player of the Year: Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Gautam Gambhir, Dinesh Karthik, Manjural Islam Rana and A.B. De Villiers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No England players nominated for Test Player of the Year? I know the cut-off date was the end of July so Ashes performances don't count, but that still seems a bit strange :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Not seen these posted - the nominees for the ICC awards have been announced:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Inzamam-ul Haq, Jacques Kallis, Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, and Ricky Ponting.

Test Player of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Adam Gilchrist, Inzamam-ul Haq, Jacques Kallis, Younis Khan, Brian Lara, Damien Martyn, Anil Kumble, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Danish Kaneria, Kumar Sangakkara, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh and Shane Warne.

One-Day International Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Herschelle Gibbs, Adam Gilchrist, Inzamam-ul Haq, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Justin Kemp, Shoaib Malik, Kevin Pietersen, Daniel Vettori, Ricky Ponting, Kumar Sangakkara, Graeme Smith, Andrew Symonds, Marcus Trescothick, Chaminda Vaas and Yousuf Youhana.

Emerging Player of the Year: Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Gautam Gambhir, Dinesh Karthik, Manjural Islam Rana and A.B. De Villiers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No England players nominated for Test Player of the Year? I know the cut-off date was the end of July so Ashes performances don't count, but that still seems a bit strange :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, especially as we had only lost 1 test in that period (July-July)

If anyone if interested in watching the first ever International 20:20 tournament from Grace Road starting this morning (weather permitting) you can see it for nowt by signing up here

(I have absolutely no idea whether the coverage is any good or not so don't blame me on that aspect....)

Freddie's been robbed icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasnt he injured or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the year from 1/7/04 - 30/6/05 which i think is the period in question he averaged (in tests) 43.85 with the bat and 21.93 with the ball scoring 614 runs and taking 46 wickets. I can assume the ONLY reason he wasnt selected on the shortlist was to give other people a chance icon_rolleyes.gificon13.gif

Bangladesh definitely. A population of 140 million, cricket is fairly popular there, they just need the experience at the top level. Zimbabwe shouldn't be playing top level cricket, firstly because there team has been a shambles and secondly because of the situation there, but the ICC are spineless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Gilchrist in the Test Player Of The Year category is a joke tbh.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?!

ok, it's based on results from july-july

check how he did in the winter?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Gilchrist in the Test Player Of The Year category is a joke tbh.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?!

ok, it's based on results from july-july

check how he did in the winter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, didn't know that. Thought it meant this calendar year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

check how he did in the winter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the summer ffs icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shut it LOSER boy icon_mad.gif

Archived