The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost feel sad that it's all over. I mean I always feel sad that I won't see any more Test cricket for a while after a final test, but5 with Richie, Channel4, Warne, McGrath, and a few others that won't be back, well, I dunno.

It just feels like Cricket is moving into a new era.

• Administrators

Tried to put together a top 10 of moments, but I've omitted so many icon_biggrin.gif

10. Shaun Tait stepping out of the way and losing everything

9. Gary Pratt

8. Gilo's test best 59

7. Lee getting Freddie at Trent Bridge. The ball, the celebration, the tension, the moment.

6. THAT Warne ball to Strauss

5. Warne ending his test career in England with a wicket

4. Harmison's slower ball to Michael Clarke.

3. Flintoff consoling Lee after that amazing Edgbaston test

2. Rudi Koertzen and Billy Bowden making such a show of the final act.

1. Simon Jones' inswinger to Michael Clarke at OT. BANG. Best ball I've seen in a long long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

did anyone come up with any ideas as to why Lee turned into a demonic possessed bowler towards the end of play yesterday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think it might have been Hoggy sniggering at the number of pointless "effort" ball bouncers sailing a yard over his head at 96mph.

Its probably been said many times in the thread, but Im actually gutted the cricket has finished. IV enjoyed it more than the football world cup.

I used to play about 6 years ago and I was pretty good, I started playing again for my pub because of it.

Well done England!

I didn't watch today on BBC (not least because almost at the vital moment, their feed died icon_biggrin.gif) but on CH4 as a mark of respect for their coverage this summer.

Thought the way it was conducted worked very well, not too many long interviews. Gower was good. Poor KP looks about fed up with all this stick - hair, earrings, etc.

Aside from Warne and Flintoff, your man of the series for each side: Vaughan - captain fantastic basically. and Lee for me - major contributions with both bat and ball.

The opposing player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Michael Clarke. I can't wait to see him bat again.

Your team's player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Andrew Flintoff - proved he can cut it with the very best.

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): Shane Warne - a credit to the game all series.

Same again but with your team's player: Hoggard, for his on and off the field personality - rather along the lines of what Haz has said.

Most memorable moment: Vaughan's face and him grabbing Flintoff's ears after the Edgebaston victory.

The defining moment of the series Well, they were chanting 'Warney's dropped the Ashes' when he put down Pietersen on 15 yesterday, and it was probably ONLY from then on that there was a clear winner coming into view. A great testament to the two sides and the cricket played that not until the 5th day of the 5th test was a definite result likely.

What a summer it's been.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Tried to put together a top 10 of moments, but I've omitted so many icon_biggrin.gif

10. Shaun Tait stepping out of the way and losing everything

9. Gary Pratt

8. Gilo's test best 59

7. Lee getting Freddie at Trent Bridge. The ball, the celebration, the tension, the moment.

6. THAT Warne ball to Strauss

5. Warne ending his test career in England with a wicket

4. Harmison's slower ball to Michael Clarke.

3. Flintoff consoling Lee after that amazing Edgbaston test

2. Rudi Koertzen and Billy Bowden making such a show of the final act.

1. Simon Jones' inswinger to Michael Clarke at OT. BANG. Best ball I've seen in a long long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Strauss catch?

Yeah I feel a bit sorry for KP. I said yesterday when we got to 140 odd for 5 (and I wasn't watching because I was at work) That I hoped KP was still in and could really step up and prove his worth to this England team.

A lot of focus on his jewellry and hair, but I don't think he should change them, despite several people commenting on it at times when they should have been congratulating him on a spectacular, legendary innings. *cough* Athers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

I didn't noticed it when Sky were previewing their upcoming international cricket schedule so I hope it's not on some diddy subscription channel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are the pakistan fixtures on sky. no mention of whether they are going to show them though icon_frown.gif

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1192257,00.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i'll probably earn myself a yeallow card, but this series was made over twenty years ago, and is still worth a look.

bodyline

great stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary Sweet as the Don. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Yeah I feel a bit sorry for KP. I said yesterday when we got to 140 odd for 5 (and I wasn't watching because I was at work) That I hoped KP was still in and could really step up and prove his worth to this England team.

A lot of focus on his jewellry and hair, but I don't think he should change them, despite several people commenting on it at times when they should have been congratulating him on a spectacular, legendary innings. *cough* Athers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the same line, I felt sorry for the wheelie bin.

They were talking about the 15 runs him and hoggy put on together to win the test and they said it was his greatest ever test score and made no mention at all of his effort yesterday.

I'd put those runs far ahead than the 8 he got previously.

Nicholas almost got a smile out of Fletcher as well.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Aside from Warne and Flintoff, your man of the series for each side: Simon Jones and Glenn Mcgrath

The opposing player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Michael Clarke

Your teams player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Simon Jones - from fringe player to essential part of this attack.

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): Brett Lee. Just seems to enjoy life in general

Same again but with your teams player: Andrew Flintoff. Just an immense man in every sense and deserves absolutely every plaudit and superlative hurled in his direction.

The defining moment of the series: Difficult, but I'd say winning at Trentbridge. It was confirmation that we had the ability to not only comprehensively destroy the Australian side mentally and physically, but that we had the mental strength to survive a torrid short run chase that has been the death of so many teams on the brink of victory in the past. It was also the moment that meant the Aussies could only ever tie the series, which would have been no real victory for either side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aside from Warne and Flintoff, your man of the series for each side. Pieterson, everyone doubted him before the series - and he ended up scoring the most runs, and winning the ashes on the final day! Lee - bowled like a man possessed on numerous occasions, held together Australia's batting when it wasn't his job. Had a smile on his face (almost) all the time.

The opposing player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Michael Clarke - looks the real deal.

Your teams player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Flintoff - rose to the occasion like a true sporting great.

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): Brett Lee. I knew Warnie was a good bloke, but I always thought Bing was a bit of a brat. Turns out he's a top bloke!

Same again but with your teams player: Gilo probably, or perhaps Hoggy - tough one that.

Most memorable moment: Listening to the final 10 overs at Edgebaston or so in a car park outside the Cheltenham College cricket ground. Jim Maxwell and Geoff Lawson commentating as Harmison gets Kasper - and about 100 people jump around in a field in Gloucestershire!

The defining moment of the series: When Punter put us into bat at Edgebaston. Strange choice anyway - but with Pidge injured, just plain barking. If the Aussies had batted first, and then got Warne on the last day, I think they probably would have won.

Got bleedin' close anyway!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

dont know if this has been posted before, but the Beeb (five live) are letting people download an 5 minute mp3 of ashes highlights as a souvenior of the series.

linky poos.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/theashes2005/download.shtml </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic! Still, I want the TMS highlights to be released as a cd boxset.

So many things to remember - Geoff Lawson telling 'Bretty Boy' to get some spray on and get back out there - to Rod Marsh taking all England's wickets yesterday.

I tell you - it's Peter Baxter we have to thank for winning the Ashes when he wouldn't let Marsh go back on until KP had got his 150!

Aside from Warne and Flintoff, your man of the series for each side: Simon Jones - Brett Lee

The opposing player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Brett Lee - yeah, his figures aren't particularly eye-catching but he wasn't helped by Ponting's field settings and the absence of McGrath at times. Love the way he plays the game.

Your teams player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): So many to choose from, but I think I have to say Simon Jones. I always thought he had it in him to become a genuine world-class bowler, but wasn't expecting him to prove that quite so brilliantly in the biggest series of them all.

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): Brett Lee again, largely because I didn't have much time for him before this series. The banter with the crowd, the genuine rapport with the England team and his humility off the pitch has been a credit.

Same again but with your teams player: Freddie's too obvious a choice, so I'll go for Hoggy. Seems a really likeable fella with a typically dry Yorkshire wit.

Most memorable moment: So so many. Freddie and Bing at Edgbaston, THAT ball from Simon Jones, Strauss' catch, various pieces of Warne magic, everything in Phil's list, but it just has to be yesterday and the gradual realisation that the Ashes were coming home.

The defining moment of the series: Just has to be the first day at Edgbaston. McGrath out in the warm-up, Punter putting us in and then smacking 400+ in a day. And me finding all this out by spending an absolute FORTUNE on getting updates on WAP whilst in Brussels.

Watching highlights of the parade on SSN - they all look absolutely smashed. KP and Simon Jones having drinking competitions, all of them with the dark glasses on, brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

I'm off out to buy a copy of every newspaper as a souvenir icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

oh my god, look how slow the download is!!!

2.55 KB/s and I have a 2.2 Mb/s connection! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Downloaded in about 10 seconds for me icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

that mp3 is a bit rubbish using the radio 5 commentary for the last test rather than tms </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, how dissapointing is that - stupid bloody music in the background as well.

I want a TMS cd even more now icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sydney's barmy bus ride

By Jano Gibson

September 13, 2005 - 10:00AM

Sydney's Barmy Army plans to rub in England's Ashes victory from a red double-decker bus.

Self-proclaimed Barmy Army General, Craig Gill, who has lived in Sydney for 18 years, has booked a 73-seat bus to rub salt into the wounds of Australian cricket fans on Saturday afternoon.

"It's been 18 years in the making. I've had to live with nothing but the stigma we get from losing the games," said Mr Gill, who was "drunk and ecstatic" when England won overnight.

Now, he can't restrain his joy.

"Kings of rugby. Kings of cricket. Queen rules your country. That's it. You can't get better than that," he said.

He said more than 250 people had emailed him this morning hoping to score a seat on the Barmy Army bus, which will take its passengers from pub to pub across Sydney, starting at 1pm.

Seats would cost nothing because he has scored a sponsorship deal for the event, Mr Gill said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linkage

It's just not cricket icon15.gificon_biggrin.gif

just got back from trafalger square, it was f*cking awesome. The guys and girls joining in with crowd signing jurusalem made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Pietersen jones and freddie were smashed off their faces and couldnt stand up. Had great spot as well, two rows form the front in the middle right by the barmy army section.

I even make an appearance in the mike gatting interview on ssn, im the guy in the red and blue jumper with shades wondering around behind gatt.

such a great day, well worth the £7 for a travelcard

I've just got back from Trafalgar Square (will post some pics later). Fantastic atmosphere, fantastic feeling, fantastic memories.

Got interviewed by several news programmes and newpapers/press associations due to being one of the first there. And having seen the start of the BBC coverage, I can be seen behind the rather stunning (and very pregnant) Sophie Raworth during her bit with the crowd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Awww man, really wish I'd gone now icon_frown.gif

Especially for Sophie Raworth icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should have! Sophie wasn't even the sexiest there, the n-power girls were rather good looking!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I've just got back from Trafalgar Square (will post some pics later). Fantastic atmosphere, fantastic feeling, fantastic memories.

Got interviewed by several news programmes and newpapers/press associations due to being one of the first there. And having seen the start of the BBC coverage, I can be seen behind the rather stunning (and very pregnant) Sophie Raworth during her bit with the crowd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

any idea which ones?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Got interviewed by several news programmes and newpapers/press associations due to being one of the first there. And having seen the start of the BBC coverage, I can be seen behind the rather stunning (and very pregnant) Sophie Raworth during her bit with the crowd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i must have been standing just behind you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

any idea which ones? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky and C4 aswell as ITV London (and I think Assciated Press TV). The Press Association, and the Sydney City Herald were the papers. Had my photo taken loads by the press photographers so I might end up on the front page of the papers tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

You should have! Sophie wasn't even the sexiest there, the n-power girls were rather good looking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

two of them were a mate of mines sisters

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry_14:

You should have! Sophie wasn't even the sexiest there, the n-power girls were rather good looking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

two of them were a mate of mines sisters </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the twins?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry_14:

two of them were a mate of mines sisters </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the twins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there not twins

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Ashes aftermath

England's marks out of ten

Andrew Miller

September 13, 2005

Andrew Flintoff

Simply immense. A true sporting hero in the absolute sense. Inspiration, perspiration, even desperation - they all melded into one when he was involved with the ball, and there was no more stirring sight than the 18-over spell at The Oval with which he confirmed England's supremacy in the closing stages of the series. His Edgbaston heroics had clawed the series back from the brink; now he closed it out in a final push for the line. Genial and deadly in equal measures, he has just become the biggest star in the game.

Simon Jones

The revelation of the summer, Jones's absence at The Oval was unsettling for team and fans alike. No-one else enjoyed such a matchless command of the old ball, and with him in the ranks, England had a licence to attack, attack, and attack some more, in the knowledge that there was always a fresh seamer around the corner. Driven by the memories of his agonising first day of Ashes cricket - at Brisbane almost three years ago - he found an extra gear that few had realised he possessed.

Kevin Pietersen

He wasn't going to be kept out of the limelight for long. For a man whose approach is so fuelled by confidence, Pietersen's lustre seemed to be fading as the series wore on, as the indignity of those six dropped catches began to sink in. But two early let-offs at The Oval - including a critical reprieve from none other than Shane Warne - and the rest has already taken its place in history. It's hard to believe he was a debutant before this series. He already seems to have been around forever.

Marcus Trescothick

Still no century in 15 Tests against Australia, but invaluable contributions to each and every match of the series. His attitude was every bit as important as his accumulation. After fulfilling every prophecy in the book by becoming Glenn McGrath's 500th wicket at Lord's, he refused to be cowed, and carried on slugging the cover-drives and playing his own - oft-maligned - game. The most intimidating left-handed opener of the series, which is saying something.

Matthew Hoggard

The king of the swingers and England's shop-floor steward. Hoggard took a while to find his feet in the series, aside from a rash of first-ball strikes, but as the tension mounted and series fatigue set in, Hoggard's legendary stamina came to the fore. His 11-over three-wicket spell at Trent Bridge was another of many significant turning-points, while his 4 for 4 in 19 balls at The Oval confirmed England's superiority. But, like Giles, it was his batting that will linger in the memory - not least that cover-drive off Brett Lee.

Michael Vaughan

Desperate form in the first two Tests threatened to destabilise England's entire campaign, but turned his game around after that infamous double let-off at Old Trafford, and recorded his fourth century in eight Tests against the Aussies. Never quite at the peak of his powers thereafter, but how much of that was down to the captaincy is anyone's guess. In that department he was simply immense - planned, proactive and ruthless from first over to last.

Andrew Strauss

Nominated as Shane Warne's bunny before the series, and duly fell to him on six occasions out of ten. But in between whiles he was a rampant rabbit, carrying on his incredible conversion-rate to record his sixth and seventh Test centuries in 17 appearances, including the performance of his career in the first innings at The Oval. Safe in the slips for the most part, he provided one of the iconic images of an epoch-making series with his soaring pluck off Adam Gilchrist at Trent Bridge.

Steve Harmison

Doled out pain as if it was going out of fashion, particularly for the long-suffering Justin Langer, but after a thrilling first morning at Lord's, he found wickets to be a rarer commodity. Even so, Harmison's imprint can be found all over the series - the duelling scar that he left on Ricky Ponting's cheek; the slower ball that castled Michael Clarke at Edgbaston, and of course, the ball that brushed Kasprowicz's gloves the following morning, and made possible everything else that England achieved this summer.

Ashley Giles

For those who love an underdog, Giles's performances this summer were a triumph. Never remotely in Shane Warne's class with either ball or bat, he did his duty when a nation expected, extracting each member of the Aussie top eight at least once in the series, and providing an improbably safe pair of hands in the gully. It was his batting, however, that set him apart. His cool and collected 7 sealed victory in the nerve-shredder at Trent Bridge, while his maiden Ashes fifty staved off the fear of defeat at the last.

Geraint Jones

No man encapsulated the sheer terror of this series better than Jones, whose glovework veered from the ordinary to the simply awful, and yet who clung on to the chances that really, really mattered - none more important than the leg-side snatch that sealed the two-run win at Edgbaston. His impish batting was equally hit-and-miss - take Trent Bridge, for instance, in which he soared into credit with an impish 85, then plumped the depths with a horrific second-innings smear. Brrr.

Paul Collingwood

Only one outing in which to demonstrate his skills, and though the runs did not flow, his 14-over alliance with Pietersen was the moment that England began to believe their destiny. At 126 for 5, had he fallen early, Australia might have streamed through the breach, but with every prodded dot-ball, the nation began to emerge from behind the sofa.

Ian Bell

Twin half-centuries at Old Trafford looked like the start of something substantial, but sadly Bell managed just one other double-figure score in the series, and wrapped up his series with a spirit-sapping pair at The Oval. Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne were simply too wily for this most wide-eyed of rookies, but he will learn from the experience and will be backed to bounce back by a sympathetic management. One undoubted plus was the speed of his reactions at short-leg.

Andrew Miller is UK editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived