The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway - with that posted, I'll do my first bit of post match stuff.

I didn't post at all yesterday cause I was glued to my sofa listening to TMS and watching the pictures.

When Bell got out, and Pieterson came in and got that ball from Lee, I thought you were going to have to chase 160 or something - and I would be dead of a heart attack at 23.

After I'd had a few beers, I read through the thread from the beginning of the day - and had a few chuckles - particularly at Wrongboy's fanatical support of the short leg position in a 7-2 offside field. I notice he's shut up on that now.

Scat, Flatline and the other Aussies, fair play to you guys - I'm a great fan of Australians, and like I said earlier, it's been great following this epic series with you guys.

I'm leaving for Australia in April (getting there in August) - so I'll be there for 2006/7. How hard is it to get tickets, particularly for the MCG & SCG - do I need to be a member, or can I just rock up?

Also, how hard would it be for me to get a game as an average but enthusiastic village cricketer?

Anyway - I must get on with some work, as I've come into the office today - I'll post all my reviews at lunchtime!

Aside from Warne and Flintoff, your man of the series for each side: Langer - Pietersen

The opposing player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Warne, not an original choice, but this bloke can easily be mentioned in the same breath as Sobers, Pele, Maradona, Bradman, MJ and any other sporting icon you care to name (even Derek Pringle!). He will be very sadly missed.

Your teams player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): Giles - I had a right go at him after Lords, I've seen the light now though, he's a fantastic team player.

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person) - Brett Lee - Disliked him horribly before the series, thought he was a brash, arrogant chucker. He's a very hot and cold bowler, not much better than Devon Malcolm, but a great bloke who tries his heart out.

Same again but with your teams player: Vaughan, never seems to be ruffled, looks at times that the whole things a bit of a laugh to him.

Most memorable moment: Jones! Bowden!

The defining moment of the series: Freddie taking the long handle to Kasper and Lee, that one straight 6 off Lee was mind blowing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

The Aussie test players basically dont play any domestic cricket though do they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no. an altogether different problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

Also, how hard would it be for me to get a game as an average but enthusiastic village cricketer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where abouts will you be living/staying?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Randomly, because I signed him on ICC, what's Paul Rofe like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not bad, nothing great atm.

he's basically a poor mans mcgrath - bowls a nice and tidy line and length that can be difficult to score off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

Also, how hard would it be for me to get a game as an average but enthusiastic village cricketer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where abouts will you be living/staying? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm flying into Cairns (probably, if not Bris Vegas) with my ex-flatmate and staying there for a bit.

Don't know where I'll be come your summer, but I guess Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney. I have friends in all the major cities, so anything could happen pretty much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

I'm flying into Cairns (probably, if not Bris Vegas) with my ex-flatmate and staying there for a bit.

Don't know where I'll be come your summer, but I guess Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney. I have friends in all the major cities, so anything could happen pretty much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it'll be p!ss easy to get a game at club level in the capitals. dunno much about bush areas though...

Don't know where I'll be come your summer, but I guess Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney. I have friends in all the major cities, so anything could happen pretty much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it'll be p!ss easy to get a game at club level in the capitals. dunno much about bush areas though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

noice.

just don't goalt to them about being english and winning the ashes too much

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Scatter

it'll be p!ss easy to get a game at club level in the capitals.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats so ture, when playing for a under 25 team, i was playing under the name Jason Wood lol, i had to keep up the act like i was Jason (jason had gone to NZ) and the whole team calling an Indian Jason Wood icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al3:

just don't goalt to them about being english and winning the ashes too much

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Scatter

it'll be p!ss easy to get a game at club level in the capitals.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats so ture, when playing for a under 25 team, i was playing under the name Jason Wood lol, i had to keep up the act like i was Jason (jason had gone to NZ) and the whole team calling an Indian Jason Wood icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't! I'm a good sportsman, and I'd have got it out of my system by then. Plus we'd be about to play down your way - and it'll be anything but a walkover, especially if a certain S.K. Warne is still about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shpina:

Andrew, if you're coming to Brisbane you'll ask about the Warehouse comp - you'll get a run for sure. If you're in Cairns just make the most of the party town. Go to Gilligans and the Woolshed - cheap drinks and beautiful, horny backpackers everywhere! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, not really sure if I understand everything you've said there, are you talking about cricket clubs, competitions, pubs, or all 3?

On another note, if anyone was listening to the TMS coverage this summer, who was the Australian summeriser during the Edgebaston test?

I'm not thinking about Jim Maxwell or Rod Marsh. It was someone else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Geoff Lawson did a stint on TMS earlier in the summer, might have been him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one, coincidentally, he's on the bbc. I've given in, no work getting done at all this arvo:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4239254.stm#

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

anyone watching the parade thingy ? what are the crowds looking like ? i cant get out 'til 12 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

streets looked packed from the internet.

got no tv in the office - but at least I'm watching it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by Shpina:

Andrew, if you're coming to Brisbane you'll ask about the Warehouse comp - you'll get a run for sure. If you're in Cairns just make the most of the party town. Go to Gilligans and the Woolshed - cheap drinks and beautiful, horny backpackers everywhere!

ok, not really sure if I understand everything you've said there, are you talking about cricket clubs, competitions, pubs, or all 3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to play cricket in Brisbane your best bet is to find out about teams playing in the Warehouse competitions - they are a bit more fun and socialable than the grade competitions. That said, it wouldn't be too hard to get a spot in a lower grade side around Brisbane.

The other stuff about Cairns related specifically to the pubs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cheese On Toast:

on BBC on this coverage. who is the aussie talking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geoff Lawson.

The Internet Feed has stopped!

What the hell is going on?

I think it's truly amazing the difference in public and media attitude towards the team and players now that they are reasonably successful. Remembering back 15 years or so the likes of Gower became figures of pure unadulterated hate, they must be a little envious to say the least!. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boltman:

I think it's truly amazing the difference in public and media attitude towards the team and players now that they are reasonably successful. Remembering back 15 years or so the likes of Gower became figures of pure unadulterated hate, they must be a little envious to say the least!. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think it's also got a bit to do with the personalities of this team. Not just the success.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCranker:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boltman:

I think it's truly amazing the difference in public and media attitude towards the team and players now that they are reasonably successful. Remembering back 15 years or so the likes of Gower became figures of pure unadulterated hate, they must be a little envious to say the least!. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think it's also got a bit to do with the personalities of this team. Not just the success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dg >>>>>> anyone in this england team.

dgwffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffb

THE CHANNEL 4 YEARS

YEAR OPPOSITION RESULT

1999 NEW ZEALAND LOST 2-1 - good series. and channel fours presentation of cricket made it even more enjoyable. ian smith :*)

2000 ZIMBABWE WON 1-0 - can't remember tbh.

2000 WEST INDIES WON 3-1 - awesome series. some great cricket played and excitement to match this ashes series. the 2 day test, and cork hitting the winning runs at lords (?). just awesome.

2001 PAKISTAN DREW 1-1 - can't remember.

2001 AUSTRALIA LOST 4-1 - the first day of the first test was brilliant. stewart and caddick putting on about 100 for the last wicket, then slater taking the england bolwers to the cleaners in the first 10 overs of the aussie innings. just great cricket all series really.

2002 SRI LANKA WON 2-0 - good little series this. giles taking the last two sri lankan wickets in two balls to set up the run chase of 50 in 6 overs, which trescothick and vaughan did with ease icon_cool.gif great way to end the series.

2002 INDIA DREW 1-1 - some really good tests here. we had india on the ropes, but then ganguly, dravid and tendulkar all clicked in the same innings (at headingley?) and that spelt disaster. vaughan's ball to get tendulkar in one of the tests was awesome icon_biggrin.gif

2003 ZIMBABWE WON 2-0 - can't remember.

2003 SOUTH AFRICA DREW 2-2 - brilliant series. smith looked a world beater at first, but we slowly got to grips with him as we saw the emergence of flintoff in to the player we know today.

2004 NEW ZEALAND WON 3-0 - missed it as i was out of the country.

2004 WEST INDIES WON 4-0 - missed it as i was out of the country.

2005 BANGLADESH WON 2-0 - on sky, weren't it?

2005 AUSTRALIA WON 2-1 - great series, but missed most of the last 4 tests due to work and leeds festival.

basically, test cricket > *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCranker:

Think it's also got a bit to do with the personalities of this team. Not just the success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dg >>>>>> anyone in this england team.

dgwffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The English don't agree. Probably because he was always seen as upper class.

I remember that...all the appalling English accents and stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Percy Fender - "At least God is still an Englishman. Or has that changed too?"

fb icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stocksy:

Anyone watching thec ch4 coverage? Wots the song playing now on the 5th test? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Embrace - Ashes icon_biggrin.gif

Freddie's not been to sleep yet!!! \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by herts2002:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stocksy:

Anyone watching thec ch4 coverage? Wots the song playing now on the 5th test? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Embrace - Ashes icon_biggrin.gif

Freddie's not been to sleep yet!!! \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thank you.... Flintoff=Legend.... My dinking idol

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">stewart and caddick putting on about 100 for the last wicket, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't caddick smash a monster six right back down the ground? fb icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

and did he just say that he ca't think of anything worse than playing in the super series ? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was class. icon_biggrin.gif

"Behind these glasses tells a thousand stories I can tell you David" icon_biggrin.gif

I feel terrible today.

Watched the whole day at the pub and then we thought it would be worthwhile for us to drink Champagne for the rest of the night.....

In retrospect my bank balance and head tell me that wasn't such a good idea.

On the plus side we did get to go out live on a Brisbane radio station at about 10 our time.

Lots of chanting and passing around of the 'phone talking to the DJs about how great we are etc etc etc etc.

Archived