The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kris:

The ashes urn copping a feel of that womens tits on ssn icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost lost my Orange Juice icon_biggrin.gif

F***ing awesome series, F***ing awesome performance from England, f***ing superb coverage from C4 which will be sadly missed.

Gotta say that they ended their last broadcast beautifully by playing the whole Mambo No 5 song with clips of all the greats who have appeared on the channel, the cartoon Benaud waving us all of and finally the "The End" caption from the Mambo video.

A dignified and fitting end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

The end for C4 :*(

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">THE CHANNEL 4 YEARS

YEAR OPPOSITION RESULT

1999 NEW ZEALAND LOST 2-1

2000 ZIMBABWE WON 1-0

2000 WEST INDIES WON 3-1

2001 PAKISTAN DREW 1-1

2001 AUSTRALIA LOST 4-1

2002 SRI LANKA WON 2-0

2002 INDIA DREW 1-1

2003 ZIMBABWE WON 2-0

2003 SOUTH AFRICA DREW 2-2

2004 NEW ZEALAND WON 3-0

2004 WEST INDIES WON 4-0

2005 BANGLADESH WON 2-0

2005 AUSTRALIA WON 2-1 </pre>

Quite a story, eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

muwahaha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

brucie \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

i want to go to traffy square tomorrow but its going to be all 'lohag' and 'jerusalem' bollox icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm seriously tempted...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pop shot:

Does it all go to Sky now??

angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

I never thought I'd see "Mambo no.5" and "Dignified" in the same sentence :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically I didn't use them in the same sentence.

icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kris:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pop shot:

Its a "maybe". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, so the contracts up and its like the footy where everyone bids a couple of quid and Sky offer half a zillion or something like that?

I'm with Kris here. I think there's a distinct possibility if everyone gets on the ECB's back they could be forced to include terrestrial coverage as part of any package \o/

Please! God?!

Ah, so the contracts up and its like the footy where everyone bids a couple of quid and Sky offer half a zillion or something like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky already have it in the bag, it's just a case of whether there's an unlikely change of heart by the government/ECB i guess.

Ah, so the contracts up and its like the footy where everyone bids a couple of quid and Sky offer half a zillion or something like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the contract has been accepted but theres some interesting articles in the broadsheets the past few days on how it could be changed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

What can I say? Without doubt the greatest Ashes series ever played, with some truly memorable performances from both sets of players. All parties deserve credit for the brilliance of the play, and the spirit these Halcyon days have been played in.

It is on a high note we say goodbye to C4, and to Richie. I can't thank them enough for the way they have presented the Cricket over 7 years of ups and downs. They have been a credit to broadcasting.

A great moment in all our lives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Is this a bigger acheivment than winning the Rugby World Cup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say yes, because we were expected to win RWC and were the clear favourites, even if it was in Australia

Also in the Ashes England have been playing one of THE great sides, even if they are on the way down there is no disputing that fact

Also, the rugby team beat Australia and New Zealand (the two main challengers in the WC) in their own backyards a couple of months before the tournament and therefore knew what it took.

The cricketers have not played a team nearly as good as these Aussies before and therefore that is why this is the greater achievement

I think the contract has been accepted but theres some interesting articles in the broadsheets the past few days on how it could be changed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, mind you the winter tours have been on Sky Sports for a fair few years now so no need to worry till next summer I guess.

C4's commentators >>>>>>>>>> Skys tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS times about 640,000,0000,00000 icon_biggrin.gif. I can't emphasise how important C4's coverage has been in getting people interested in this great game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

yas \0/\0/

it was nice of thierry henry to sing that song for the closing credits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pre-empted you on that by about 25 minutes and nearly a full page icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

go away fair-weather fans now please.

go watch rugby again, you're good at that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Anything that raises the profile of cricket in England so that more and more youngsters get involved is a good thing. "Fair weather" or not.

I remember watching the last ashes win on some crappy 14" tv whilst listening to the commentary on the radio and the amount of kids joining up to the local cricket clubs following that meant a great source of talent for quite a few years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bóithéimeach:

yas \0/\0/

it was nice of thierry henry to sing that song for the closing credits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pre-empted you on that by about 25 minutes and nearly a full page icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to have a read through the day's pages in a little bit. and as I thought it at the time when it was happening, I'll just leave it at a "great minds"

go away fair-weather fans now please.

go watch rugby again, you're good at that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah they can all **** off back to football instead of ruining either sport.

Anyway great day for English cricket and a top quality series which was exciting all the way.

Not as big as the rwc but thats becasue ive got no real knowledge of cricket beyond watching test matches for the last few years, and i just prefer rugby in general.

C4's commentators >>>>>>>>>> Skys tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS times about 640,000,0000,00000 icon_biggrin.gif. I can't emphasise how important C4's coverage has been in getting people interested in this great game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky have Bumble \o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

Botham <<<<<<<<<<<< *

Well i'm here now. Woke up, couldn't go on the computer because we made a decent start so I couldn't affod to upset the balance of the cosmos. Then I fell asleep when Vaughan got out, Bell I jjust knew would screw it up, then was in bed 'till about 4pm again because I couldn't afford to risk chainging it as it would have made us lose.

\o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bóithéimeach:

yas \0/\0/

I pre-empted you on that by about 25 minutes and nearly a full page icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to have a read through the day's pages in a little bit. and as I thought it at the time when it was happening, I'll just leave it at a "great minds" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough

If I come by any extra cricket stuff at work over the next few days (which is probably improbable) - you can have first refusal on it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

I hate Bumble, he is so biased it's ridiculous, kind of like Lehman was during the 20/20 game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody who dislikes Bumble needs a bitchslapping. He's biased in a lovable, wears his heart on his sleeve way. He always gives credit to the opposition when they deserve it but he'll make no bones about the fact that he's desperate for England to do well unlike someone like Botham who's just a ****

Archived