The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Ashes aftermath

Australia's marks out of ten

Peter English

September 13, 2005

Shane Warne

Stood so far above his team-mates it was embarrassing. Carried Australia with 40 wickets at 19.92 and 249 runs, but was unable to fulfil his promise of never losing a series to England. His hex over the batsmen remained as he picked up Andrew Strauss six times, inflicted new wounds and reopened old ones. Showed immensely committed application with the bat - 42 at Edgbaston gave Australia hope and 90 at Old Trafford restricted the damage in a draw - and passed 600 wickets. Didn't deserve the sorry end or the dropped catch to reprieve Kevin Pietersen on 15.

Brett Lee

No player was battered more as he battled bravely with the bat in heart-breaking circumstances. The constant in a fast-bowling attack that faltered with poor form and injury, Lee picked up 20 wickets at 41.10 as he attacked in every spell. Devastated after Edgbaston, when he was 43 not out when Michael Kasprowicz was dismissed, he was comforted by John Buchanan on the final day at The Oval, but can be proud of his efforts in his first series for 18 months.

Glenn McGrath

Provided the biggest twist of the series when he stepped on a ball at Edgbaston and was ruled out. Australia missed him desperately, just as they did two matches later at Trent Bridge when an elbow problem was the culprit. Joined the 500 Club in spectacular fashion at Lord's with 5 for 53 in the first innings to save Australia and point them towards victory with another four in the second. Added nine more in his two other Tests, averaged 36.00 with the bat and will forever wonder about a freak act ruining his England farewell.

Justin Langer

Australia's most consistent batsman in an order that fired mostly blanks. Finished the series with a century at The Oval, which he did to save his career on the same ground in 2001, and collected 394 runs at 43.77 to lead both tables. Fought hard and enjoyed the bullets sent at him by Harmison, Flintoff and Co, but must have wished he turned valuable half-centuries in Tests two and four into priceless big hundreds.

Ricky Ponting

Under pressure from the first morning when his cheek was cut by Steve Harmison, Ponting's series followed a similar painful pattern. Secured a brilliant draw with his best innings as captain at Manchester and swept to victory at Lord's, but had little else to cheer as his back-up bowlers failed and batsmen slipped to reverse-swing. His captaincy was heavily criticised, especially when he bowled first minutes after losing McGrath at Birmingham, and he snapped from the strain at Trent Bridge to deliver an all-encompassing spray over substitute fielders. Has taken one of the most awkward positions in Australian cricket history as the man who lost the unloseable.

Michael Clarke

Batting was bright throughout but must hone his play against swing bowling to achieve sustained greatness. Almost made it to the Lord's honour board in the first Test but lost patience and fell for 91 from 106 balls, and ended the series with 335 runs. Suffered a back injury at Old Trafford that forced him into bed for most of the match, but showed his fight by batting in winces during both innings. On his debut Ashes tour, he must have thought he got on the wrong plane at times as Australia's 16-year dominance ended in a thud.

Simon Katich

Would have been the man dropped if Australia played five bowlers and failed to cement his spot at No. 6. Shuffled across the crease and was bamboozled by reverse-swing early in the series, but picked up 45 and 59 at Trent Bridge to boost his haul to 248. Needs to do better.

Matthew Hayden

Saved himself for a couple more Tests with his century at The Oval to end a horrible series. Loyalty won him a start in the final match and he repaid with 138, 42 runs short of his combined effort in the previous eight innings. Made starts without going on when it mattered and will be under the microscope whenever he fails during the Australian summer.

Shaun Tait

Bright debut at Trent Bridge and bowled at serious pace - at his peak he was in the mid 90mph range - during his two Tests. Took the wickets of Trescothick and Bell during his opening day as a Test player to show his brutal potential and also dished up loose deliveries that form his intriguing package. Must add fielding and batting to his list of things to improve.

Adam Gilchrist

Forgettable with the bat, he struggled with the round-the-wicket attack, falling four times to Andrew Flintoff, and stained his keeping with sloppy performances. Four bad misses at Old Trafford were the darkest marks, although he showed his brilliance with a fantastic one-handed take on the last day at The Oval. The series proved how much Australia have relied on his rescue acts; he has failed to make in-roads in the only two series he has lost in 73 Tests. Australia craved so much more from their vice-captain.

Damien Martyn

Australia's hero of the 18 months before the Ashes, he was suddenly limp at No. 4 and faces an examination as the selectors consider regeneration. Suffered from two bad lbw decisions when he hit the ball, but found himself in regular trouble against England's probes. Soft dismissals at Birmingham (a run out) and The Oval (a wafted pull) highlighted his attitude and he finished above only Kasprowicz, Gillespie and Tait on the averages with 178 runs at 19.77.

Michael Kasprowicz

Stock dropped dramatically as he was unable to control his line or length on a tour that never got going for him. A rash of one-day matches and lack of tour games restricted his lead-up bowling and was not considered as cover for McGrath at The Oval. Added four wickets to his tally, but will be remembered most fondly for his courageous 20, which ended in a controversial caught behind as Australia lost at Edgbaston by two runs.

Jason Gillespie

In three Tests turned from world-class back-up to support staff in a disastrous fall. Three wickets cost 100 each and he provided England with an easy target - they belted him for 4.47 runs an over. A popular and devoted team man, it's a shame that it will take a stunning recovery for him to add to his 69 Tests and 251 wickets.

Peter English is the Australasian editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

talksport employ mark nicholas, their coverage is abysmal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, they didnt in the winter.

OK only just woke up \o/

Missed the parade /o\/o\/o\

Tempted to go back to bed icon_cool.gif

I'll just lump some replies all in one big post to save me posting 5 or 6 replies to pap that happened 2 or 3 pages ago

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al3:

bring back ali naqvi and imran nazir (nazir can really hit the ball) tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imran NAzir 14 ball fifty just for you icon_cool.gif The cover drive > *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

But yeah, Afridi's debut must be the bestest debut in the entire history of crikeet shirley? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

entire history of sport. probably. it's so far past the next best as well icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll upload that for you at some point too icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jolly Rancher:

As a longtime cricket fan I can only say I am glad to be a big part of this and I will cherish this all my life. You people have NO idea how much all of this really means to me. I mean the atmosphere and all, I never thought I could see the day.

I havent posted in this thread because its too full of amateurs who dont know the score (Sebs and others) and disrespected Kevin Pietersen who undoubtedly is going to such a superstar that it will be his name thats on cricket computer games just a little while down the road.

If you have any questions about cricket, just ask. I will be glad to help out and make you less ignorant of the fine art that is cricket. A lot of you people are new fans who have been attracted by this series and your knowledge might be a little sketchy, but really theres no need to be ashamed, we all started at some point and I wont be patronising to you at all. We are all humans after all even though I must admit that I am indeed a superior human as my charitable attitude towards gloryhunters as well as my willingness to let said apes tap into my infinite cricket knowledge show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): Matthew Hayden - funny one this, since one of the enjoyable aspects of the summer was watching him being exposed as a flat track bully with a ludicrously inflated average. Yet this frailty seemed to strip away the seering arrogance he displayed on the field to his opponent, and even showed some compassion; when Strauss was hit by Lee at Old Trafford Hayden was one of the first guys in there to comfort him and make sure he was okay, and that after Strauss had been heavly involved in the ball throwing contretemps earlier in the one dayers. Also you had to applaud the pure courage of his hundred.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love you :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

2001 PAKISTAN DREW 1-1 - can't remember.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

England spanking Pakistan by an innings in the first test and then the second and final test at Old Trafford was petering out into a boring draw, then Waqar took the new ball and the collapse started and England lost 8 wickets in 20 overs icon_cool.gif

Helped by David Shepherd missing a couple of Saqlain front foot no-balls and then spending the rest of his career trying to get us back for it ;0

The last day collapse

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

this thread should be ended when the tour squad for pakistan is announced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bagsy starting that thread icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

You'll be taking over the Scatter role for that series I assume? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah may as well. Only difference being the little kids won't be creaming their pants every time I post by the end of the tour

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/219137.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Just as Australia thought things could not get much worse, their second string players suffered a comprehensive seven-wicket defeat on the third day of their opening tour match against Pakistan A.

Mohammed Sami was the catalyst for Pakistan's victory as he tore through the Australian top order in their second innings. He removed Mike Hussey, Brad Hodge and Dominic Thornely in his opening burst and returned to dismiss Brad Haddin, the top scorer, for 34.

Pakistan had stretched their first innings into a slender of 17 before Shane Watson wrapped it up to finish with four wickets. Australia were quickly in deep trouble with Sami's opening burst and two wicket for Umar Gul reducing them to 33 for 5.

Haddin and Nathan Bracken fought hard but Shahid Nazir and Mansoor Amjad completed the demolition job, leaving Pakistan with a target of 114. Salman Butt and Shoaib Malik put them on course with an aggressive stand of 76 and despite three wickets for Cameron White they completed the chase in under 20 overs.

© Cricinfo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Australia A 1st innings

MEK Hussey b Shahid Nazir 2

PA Jaques not out 92

BJ Hodge b Mohammad Sami 6

DJ Thornely lbw b Umar Gul 5

SR Watson lbw b Shahid Nazir 1

*+BJ Haddin c Mansoor Amjad b Mohammad Sami 9

CL White c Bazid Khan b Shahid Nazir 23

NW Bracken b Mohammad Sami 4

MG Johnson st Zulqarnain Haider b Shoaib Malik 24

ML Lewis c Asim Kamal b Shoaib Malik 9

DJ Cullen lbw b Mansoor Amjad 0

Extras (b 9, lb 4, w 0, nb 8) 21

Total (all out, 59 overs) 196

FoW: 1-9, 2-20, 3-36, 4-43, 5-72, 6-117, 7-124, 8-167, 9-191,

10-196.

Bowling O M R W

Mohammad Sami 17 0 67 3

Shahid Nazir 16 5 36 3

Umar Gul 14 2 42 1

Shoaib Malik 11 3 32 2

Mansoor Amjad 1 0 6 1

Pakistan A 1st innings

Shoaib Malik c Watson b Bracken 18

Salman Butt lbw b Bracken 0

Yasir Hameed b Lewis 3

*Misbah-ul-Haq c Hussey b Watson 19

Bazid Khan c Jaques b Watson 30

Asim Kamal lbw b Lewis 26

+Zulqarnain Haider not out 37

Mohammad Sami b Bracken 33

Mansoor Amjad lbw b White 24

Umar Gul c Haddin b Watson 0

Shahid Nazir lbw b Watson 0

Extras (b 1, lb 11, w 0, nb 11) 23

Total (all out, 65 overs) 213

FoW: 1-2, 2-9, 3-28, 4-68, 5-82, 6-116, 7-165,

8-212, 9-213, 10-213.

Bowling O M R W

Lewis 15 1 35 2

Bracken 11 3 41 3

Watson 13 2 39 4

Johnson 4 0 18 0

Cullen 16 5 57 0

White 6 3 11 1

Australia A 2nd innings

PA Jaques c Zulqarnain Haider b Umar Gul 1

MEK Hussey c Zulqarnain Haider b Mohammad Sami 11

BJ Hodge lbw b Mohammad Sami 9

DJ Thornely lbw b Mohammad Sami 3

SR Watson c Yasir Hameed b Umar Gul 1

*+BJ Haddin c Zulqarnain Haider b Mohammad Sami 34

CL White c Shoaib Malik b Mansoor Amjad 8

NW Bracken b Shahid Nazir 30

MG Johnson c Yasir Hameed b Shahid Nazir 6

ML Lewis c Misbah-ul-Haq b Mansoor Amjad 17

DJ Cullen not out 1

Extras (b 3, lb 3, w 1, nb 2) 9

Total (all out, 44.5 overs) 130

FoW: 1-5, 2-16, 3-24, 4-25, 5-33, 6-57, 7-94,

8-107, 9-128, 10-130.

Bowling O M R W

Mohammad Sami 14 3 33 4

Umar Gul 11 6 15 2

Mansoor Amjad 8.5 0 38 2

Shoaib Malik 7 3 23 0

Shahid Nazir 4 1 15 2

Pakistan A 2nd innings (target: 114)

Salman Butt lbw b White 47

Shoaib Malik st Haddin b White 38

Yasir Hameed c Hodge b White 10

*Misbah-ul-Haq not out 7

Bazid Khan not out 7

Extras (b 0, lb 4, w 0, nb 1) 5

Total (3 wickets, 19.5 overs) 114

DNB: Asim Kamal, +Zulqarnain Haider, Mohammad Sami, Mansoor Amjad,

Umar Gul, Shahid Nazir.

FoW: 1-76, 2-96, 3-101.

Bowling O M R W

Lewis 3 1 19 0

Bracken 4 0 26 0

Watson 7 1 29 0

White 5.5 0 36 3 </pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lots of Fans </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im kinda in this photo, the guy in the very front with blue shirt on and glasses. Just to his left there is half a head with blue oakleys with the blue jumper. Thats me!!!!!!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

You'll be taking over the Scatter role for that series I assume? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah may as well. Only difference being the little kids won't be creaming their pants every time I post by the end of the tour </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oooh bitchy icon_biggrin.gif

you're right though icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Roshan Mahanama is the match referee for England's tour to Pakistan from November while Jeff Crowe will oversee the ODI series. Billy Bowden and Simon Taufel will stand in the first Test, while Darrell Hair will accompany Taufel in the second Test. Koertzen will replace Taufel in the third.

The Pakistan Cricket Board had specifically requested two neutral umpires for the ODI series instead of using one home official. Thus, Brian Jerling from South Africa and Tony Hill from New Zealand, both Emirates International Panel umpires, will officiate during the five-match series. Darrell Hair will officiate in the first two games and Koertzen will stand in with Hill in the next three matches.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duncan Fletcher has been granted British citizenship after 15 years of trying after Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, stepped in to review his application. All it took was an Ashes series victory, although the Home Office are saying it is just a "happy coincidence" that it occured the day after England's 2-1 series triumph.

The cries for Fletcher to be given a British passport had grown increasingly vocal during the summer as England got closer and closer to regaining the Ashes. However, his application was rejected because he spends more than three months of the year outside the UK.

Fletcher, 56, qualifies for British citizenship as both his parents and all four grandparents were born in the UK. But he had been caught out by the small print which says those applying must have lived in Britain for five years, with no more than 450 days outside of the county, including 90 within the past year.

But Home Office sources confirmed that it was discovered at least half of his time outside the UK was spent touring overseas with England. A spokesman said: "It is right to say the home secretary used his discretionary powers and it was decided Mr Fletcher deserved to be granted citizenship." Fletcher must now attend a citizenship ceremony to confirm his new status.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OF COURSE the timing is just a "happy coincidence" icon14.gif

Unless of course he's terrified of the big scary terrorists and gives all the decisions in favour of the home side icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all you need is a loud boisterous crowd and rudi is a dead set homer... [/bitter]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

boban - tell me about naved latif and mo hafeez? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not seen Naved play enough to form a strong opinion on him but Hafeez is yet another Pakistani all-rounder who looked quite tasty at the start of his career but recently every time he's played for Pakistan in the one day side he's looked completely out of his depth with the bat, he bowled quite well at times in the VB series in Australia but got called for a suspect action afterwards although I didn't see anything blatantly wrong with it myself.

He'll struggle to get into the Pakistan team as a regularly because Afridi and Shoaib Malik are both ahead of him for that spinning allrounder spot, he's still quite young so perhaps England should steal him and he can take over from the King of Spain when he retires?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Billy Bowden and Simon Taufel will stand in the first Test, while Darrell Hair will accompany Taufel in the second Test. Koertzen will replace Taufel in the third. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok Bowden and Taufel have always worked well as a pair when I've seen them before hopefully that will continue.

Darrell Hair is awful. great, at least its only one test i guess.

Koertzen seems a bit clueless to me.

at least Taufel, who i think is quite good apart from his interpretation of light rules, is standing in all three tests.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jordyh:

How come Marcus North isn't playing for Australia A? He left lancs early to join the squad. He is crap though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because he sucks. Where is Andy Symonds though? (obv Lancs but why?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Koertzen will replace Taufel in the third. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least Taufel, who i think is quite good apart from his interpretation of light rules, is standing in all three tests. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes - taufel is good but

um? icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

oh and Boban do you know anything about Karthan? (sp?) the bloke who got 10 wickets on his Lancs debut, (on the pitch that Essex got 550+ runs against Aus in a day icon_biggrin.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Murali Kartik? He's the **** that got Inzi out in Karachi icon_mad.gif

I don't see Symonds in the test side. They will probably go with Watson.

I don't think Symonds will be back at lancs next year either as i read that Brad Hodge is definately back and I would have thought it would be Murali for half a season and another bowler for the other half (maybe Kartik?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cheese On Toast:

freddie is wasted icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The chants at Trafalgar Square were "Freddie is a p!sshead" icon_biggrin.gif

Also there was huge chants of "Channel 4" as fans tried to send a message to the ECB and the government.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Dine:

**** OFF JERUSALEM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stfu </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh no, it's a crap choice for a sporting anthem and you'd realise it too if you actually bothered to read the words yourself

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Also there was huge chants of "Channel 4" as fans tried to send a message to the ECB and the government. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure it wasn't "Michael Vaughan"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Also there was huge chants of "Channel 4" as fans tried to send a message to the ECB and the government. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure it wasn't "Michael Vaughan"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, although his name was chanted aswell.

Archived