Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

Defender Riise in talks with Roma

Riise could be on his way to Serie A

Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise is in Italy's capital to discuss a possible 6m euros (£4.75m) move to Serie A side AS Roma.

According to the AS Roma website, the club had been given permission by the Reds to discuss personal terms with the 27-year-old Norway international.

Riise signed for Liverpool in 2001 and helped them to the FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League titles.

Liverpool told BBC Sport they would not comment on transfer speculation.

The Norwegian has been a long-time target for AS Roma and both La Gazzetta dello Sport and La Repubblica report that the clubs are close to finalising a deal.

Riise played second fiddle to Brazilian Fabio Aurelio last season who had established himself as the club's first choice left-back.

When Aurelio came off injured during last season's Champions semi-final first leg against Chelsea, Riise replaced him only to score an own goal in stoppage time.

Last year, Riise was involved in an infamous spat with former team-mate Craig Bellamy after a karaoke night on a team bonding trip to Portugal.

Bellamy was fined £80,000 by the club for his involvement and stated he had "lost control".

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TAYLOR REVEALS REDS SNUB

Birmingham goalkeeper Maik Taylor admits he gave 'serious consideration' to accepting interest from Liverpool before agreeing a new two-year deal at St Andrews.

The Northern Ireland international has confirmed reports that Rafa Benitez showed strong interest in his services as the Liverpool manager searches for reliable back-up to Jose Reina.

However, with Scott Carson returning to Anfield following his loan spell with Aston Villa, Taylor insists he always wanted to stay with Championship outfit Birmingham in order to secure regular first-team football.

"With an offer on the table from the club (Birmingham), it was always going to be the case that I would stay really," Taylor told the Blues' official website.

"It was flattering that Liverpool showed a lot of interest and of course I gave it serious consideration.

"Liverpool could offer the UEFA Champions League and everything else, but it would have been a situation as a No.2 and a year's contract as well.

"Scott Carson has gone back there now as well. There was talk of him going to Villa after his loan, but that has not materialised.

"I still have a big desire to play and, as long as I keep my form and fitness, that's more likely here (Birmingham)."

Originally posted by sifrow:

Mate at work has a friend who works for Umbro who claims Milner is a done deal. Also that Deco has left Barca, but won't say where he's gone.

Doesn't take a genius to work out Deco has gone tbf.

MK favouritism.

Apparently Riise's fee is actually more liek £6m. Good.

Disgusted with rumours of £7-9m for Milner. I'm still in the mindset that a average-decent player should cost about £5m at the very very most.

If he's going to cost that much i'd honestly rather we didn't bother signing anyone at all. I've not recovered from us signing Pennant for that much.

Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Maik Taylor is absolutely cack. He'd be literally number 2. We'd be much better off using David Martin than signing that waste of space.

i agree sends out completely the wrong message, what happenend to that bulgarian keeper we signed did his permit get rejected. would much rather see martin given a chance than signing an overage over the hill back up keeper.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is looking elsewhere for reinforcements rather than his old club at the Mestalla.

With Peter Crouch looking likely to leave this summer – although the Reds have received no bids, official or informal, from Portsmouth – Benitez will need more strength in the striking department at Anfield.

But he is not planning a raid on Valencia for Villa.

Speculation has been intense that Villa could become a Reds target, especially as the Spanish star admits that his closest friends in the national team’s camp are all Liverpool players.

juicy quotes

Originally posted by DeafParrot:

Maik Taylor is absolutely cack. He'd be literally number 2. We'd be much better off using David Martin than signing that waste of space.

yea because signing him on the cheap would be worse than keeping Itandje. Your going to moan about any news today by the looks of it.

Originally posted by Daaaaave:

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is looking elsewhere for reinforcements rather than his old club at the Mestalla.

With Peter Crouch looking likely to leave this summer – although the Reds have received no bids, official or informal, from Portsmouth – Benitez will need more strength in the striking department at Anfield.

But he is not planning a raid on Valencia for Villa.

Speculation has been intense that Villa could become a Reds target, especially as the Spanish star admits that his closest friends in the national team’s camp are all Liverpool players.

juicy quotes

Did anyone see the clip of Villa walking away from the english reporter and Arbeloa patting him on the head?

Originally posted by J4m1e:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

yea because signing him on the cheap would be worse than keeping Itandje. Your going to moan about any news today by the looks of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going to moan about anything that weakens us yes. I would in fact rather keep Itandje than sign Taylor. Thankfully he's turned us down.

Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Apparently Riise's fee is actually more liek £6m. Good.

Disgusted with rumours of £7-9m for Milner. I'm still in the mindset that a average-decent player should cost about £5m at the very very most.

If an average-decent player should cost £5m tops, what would have been wrong with getting the £4.75m Riise was originally said to be going for?

Riise's reputation (rightly or wrongly) is good. He's a player with approx 350 games for us, huge CL experience etc. That's not something you could say about the likes of Milner. The only thing Milner has on his side is his age (though 22's not especially young in football terms any more).

Perhap's im expecting too much? But in a world where Steve Sidwell goes for £5.5m it seems like we're the ones always being taken for a ride.

I liked Riise as well. Just a pity that in his final few seasons his shots were more likely to take out someone a few rows back in the stand than hit the target.

If £3.96m is the fee then we have been screwed over massively.

Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Time for some good news: apparently we're playing Atletico Madrid in a friendly this summer icon_cool.gif

They can leave Garcia here <3[/quote

8th of August I think but the game has not been confirmed yet.

always liked Riise. well, that's a lie. I liked him until he became ****. still never criticised him as much as others. so many great memories from him, just about all his 23 goals for us were brilliant. we've been ripped off.

no quotes from Rafa about not having Villa on his transfer list, therefore I'll keep dreaming. he can live with Pepe if he must.

Originally posted by Jearm84:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

£4m icon_biggrin.gif

aye utter ****take </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it a p*sstake? Year left on his contract, not exactly young, coming off the back of a sh*te season, clearly no longer wanted at Anfield - why on earth would anyone pay any more?

Archived