FMH for Android?

Another vote for FMH for Android, from a user recently converted to Android from cheap-phones-OS. :)

Though I'm not sure how easy to play would a football management game be in a relatively small screen like my HTC Desire. And I understand your original reasons not to move to Android - though I guess you guys might be regretting that you didn't start on this earlier, as the market REALLY grew quickly...

The other area that's going to drive Android is the tablet market. THe Samsung Galaxy Tab was recently on sale for £249, the 10" Advent tablet is £199, there's lots of average Android tablets for around £150-£160, they are all driving the tablet sales and the demand for decent games. The problem is that the sales on Android market are tiny compared to the App Store so it would have been stupid for the small portable team to develop for it yet. However, the day is coming when it will be, just not this minute.

To all those people who seem to think SI are stupid for not having an Android version because Android has a larger market share might want to read this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/27/distimo_app_store_report/

Basically, Android users tend to buy less apps and are less likely to pay for games. Which is pretty much what Marc said a year ago!

Plus as well as device fragmentation, there is now app store fragmentation starting to apear. Because of the more open nature of the Android platform, anybody can setup a store. But not all stores have all apps. Some stores have exclusives. Which while it gives users more choice it also makes things more confusing to the average user.

Plus not all stores will be trustworthy and even the ones that are won't vet the apps to the extent that Apple do. So while Apple may be criticised for their 'closed' system and the time it takes to vet apps, at least the buying process is simple and straight forward and you can pretty much trust what you're getting.

I guess these are just some of the possible reasons why more apps are sold on iOS than android. That and Apple 'fanbois' like to spend lots of money on shiny things and are more likely to impulse buy than cheapy Android users! :D

Hopefully the new wave of Honeycomb tablets will encourage SI to take a look at an android game. I hardly use my comp anymore, and it takes up a lot of space just to have a FM only machine (plus the wife doesn't like it as much).

Any movement on porting the game over?

You are aware that the FMH series of games is built upon an enhanced CM01-02 engine? ..... if you haven't already give FMH (in one of its guises) a whirl, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Man, I'd buy today a PC version of CM01/02 with a 2d visual of the match on it.

• 2 months later...

FM on a phone seems a waste of time, small screen, less power and inferior quality to the computer version.

As for Dixie's comment; iPhone - bad enough, iPhone 4 - I hope you're not left handed, in white - made a tacky, cheap looking phone even tackier and cheap.

And as for the "crappy phones", quality phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S & HTC's Desire Series quite comfortably curb stomp whatever it is the iPhone claims to be able to do. So if there were to be an Android version then Apple would be shown up (again) by Android in terms of quality.

• SI Staff
FM on a phone seems a waste of time, small screen, less power and inferior quality to the computer version.

FMH isn't meant to be FM PC; its faster and a little more 'fun' to play while retaining the feeling of realism our games have always strived for ... think of it more akin to our earlier PC games and you'll have things about right.

quality phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S & HTC's Desire Series quite comfortably curb stomp whatever it is the iPhone claims to be able to do. So if there were to be an Android version then Apple would be shown up (again) by Android in terms of quality.

I think the iPhone vs Android 'war' is a bit pointless tbh; both sides have very good products which are incredibly popular.

The reason that the Android gets 'knocked' in this way isn't because of the Desire or Galaxy S - its people who've only seen the very cheap early Android handsets and made a judgement on that basis. As you rightly mention there are some very good handsets available on Android today ...

As for Dixie's comment; iPhone - bad enough, iPhone 4 - I hope you're not left handed, in white - made a tacky, cheap looking phone even tackier and cheap.

And as for the "crappy phones", quality phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S & HTC's Desire Series quite comfortably curb stomp whatever it is the iPhone claims to be able to do. So if there were to be an Android version then Apple would be shown up (again) by Android in terms of quality.

....samsung will never be anywhere near apple....sorry got friends that work for various phone shops and apple and i can't personally tell you too much but no phone will come anywhere near the iphone.Especially when they release the iphone 5 :)

• SI Staff
....samsung will never be anywhere near apple....sorry got friends that work for various phone shops and apple and i can't personally tell you too much but no phone will come anywhere near the iphone.Especially when they release the iphone 5 :)

Please don't try and start a fanboy war in this thread - I have no doubt the iPhone5 will be a very nice phone, then the next set of Android phones will do their best to raise the bar again .... thats how technology works, nothing mysterious about that.

Hope Marc doesn't mind me responding to this post as well - but seriously to suggest your friends that work at various phone shops have inside info about Apple and how no other phone will ever come close to iPhone is a bit ridiculous you know...

Personally I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that IS more powerful than the current iPhone but like Marc says the iPhone5 when released will be better until a new Android phone comes out. This is just life. I also have an iPad however and would never play FMH on a phone....it's got to be a tablet! I can see why they are resisting releasing an android version though - android is so fragmented and that's our problem at the moment sadly...

I has the Galaxy SII as well, and given how sluggish FMH is on my iPod I'd love to be able to play FMH on my phone. FMHi is the only thing that stops me dumping my iPod as it comes nowhere close to my phone in terms of any kind of quality (it beat my old phone but not my new). Furthermore the screen on my phone is so much bigger that I'm sure Marc could fit in even more awesome stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I just ask why does all these game companies and media outlets bum iPhones? they release ALL there software for Apple and then never release a version for Android or Blackberry or anything else. It really winds me up, Its like if you aren't an Apple customer sorry we can't help you. Sky (Sky Go - iPhone only is an example) I realize that iPhones maybe easier software to develop for but I think the fact that Android network is out growing Apple's by 2-1 in 2011 just shows how popular Android has become. It's really disconcerting that Android users are ALWAYS getting stubbed on the best programs because Apple are stealing the market. I don't mean to rant Mark but its frustrating, You look at the Android Market and NOTHING is on it that should be in this day and age which is shocking considering how LARGE the Android market is. I had 2 iPhones and I hated them both (1st one I bought was the original the 2nd was a present) user interface is below standard battery life doesn't last and the display when playing games is awkward. It's just frustrating to know currently the only games I can play on My Galaxy S is games like Coin Dozer.....

I haven't tried developing for iOS, but development for Android is incredibly easy. Most companies chuck it on the non-excuse of device fragmentation (easy to work around). In reality, iOS users are much more likely to spend money on apps than Android users.

• SI Staff
I haven't tried developing for iOS, but development for Android is incredibly easy. Most companies chuck it on the non-excuse of device fragmentation (easy to work around). In reality, iOS users are much more likely to spend money on apps than Android users.

Device fragmentation isn't an excuse imho - there are a huge myriad of devices on Android each with different resolutions and capabilities, plus the different capabilities of the OS on each device potentially makes implementing a complex program on the platform somewhat challenging (not impossible - just harder than it could be).

For an example - on Android regardless of the type of app being ran (ie. whether its NDK or Java based) the operating system by default will cull your application out if it feels it taking up too much in the way of resources, on the older devices this limit is VERY small (think 20Mb or so - ie. smaller than the PSP and FAR less than is available on the iOS devices which intelligently limit according to the device being ran upon) .... there is a lovely 'large heap' setting which allows you to over-ride the default Android memory system restrictions HOWEVER this is only available on the very latest operating systems and there is no way of building an application which has the best of both worlds to my knowledge, ie. you can either choose to support most Android devices or just those able to use the 'large heap' (a whopping 3% of current Android users).

This is one of many such fragmentation issues - Don't get me wrong Android is an interesting platform, I've used Linux on and off for years so am excited to see Android (as an open Unix based system) expand and become more dominant .... but that doesn't mean that its totally smelling of roses at this point - especially for larger more complex programs such as FMH.

• 4 weeks later...

Are SI for real? The resolution excuse is a poor excuse, its not difficult to put in 3 different resolution options. The Android market is massive, most Android tablets are now being made with 10.1 screens. Make the game available for the higher end devices if you have to, don't just penalise Android users because you cannot be bothered to develop the game for us. If Pro Evo can do it then so can SI!! Just stop making poor excuses about screen resolution...

Pro Evo is a 3D game, not hard to scale models but when it is raw text it isn't that easy. Also Konami has a bigger team, yes Android is popular but SI have 2 coders working on the Handheld games. Also it is up to SEGA too, there's is a lot of financial and time issues to go with this as long as technical.

Also have you ever developed a game? I trust Marc's knowledge on this more than yours to be honest.

Saying that developing a game from iOS to Android is easy isn't true. But not developing it for Android OS because of its lower selling rate isn't a good reason.

Considering Football Manager is a unique game with a specific market and it would sell the same on Android, I am sure.

Android would make SI and Sega money, have SI thought about bringing in a final year uni student on placement to work on the Android version? Some very talented students out there making complex Android apps and you wouldn't have to pay them much, so would potentially be financially viable, hell I'll test the beta for you!! Aim it at the high end Android phones and give them 2 resolution options, one aimed at the larger screens like the Desire HD, Galaxy S and S2 then at the mid size screens, HTC sensation and standard desire size screens. Then for the tablet option aim it at tablets operating honey comb 2.2 or above and with screen sizes of 8.9 or the 10.1size range. I sure as hell wouldn't mind paying a extra couple of quid for it. My galaxy tab 10.1 lacks FMH, it makes me sad haha.

It really isn't that simple. FMH uses C++/Objective C coding that would need to be pinned onto the device as Android doesn't run on this. Then with all the OS versions it would need a lot of testing - a team of QA and also a , few coders to make it work as currently Marc does the main coding and is assisted by another coder, both with a lot of knowledge and talent so one person in to do this who is a student WOULDN'T be enough.

For all we know though SI could be working on it however I would imagine it would take a year or so to make therefore not going to be released for a while.

I honestly couldn't see this game being such a success on the Android to be honest. Take GTA3 for instance, one of the all time best selling games. It done amazingly on iOS however failed on the Android market. As not all phones running Android have much power, hence they can't play all games. I know graphically it wouldn't matter with a game like Football Manager, but database wise an loading, it may no be anywhere near as fast.

Processing power does not affect data loading speed.*

Besides, few android phones will be slower than my iPod touch which is so cringably slow I go out of my way not to use it.

*Certain forms of data manipulation can though, but that's irrelevant.

Recently Sky made their Sky Go App for Droid, but only compatable with several HTC and Samsung device. Why cannot FMH go down this route, ignoring all but the latest versions. I.e. Gingerbread only with a 4"(ish) screen. Then subsequently a Droid 4 version.

Archived