[FM10] When The Saints Go Marching In - Crouchy's Mighty Saints Save!

crouchaldinho

Great to see all the CB's can pass that must be an advantage at times. Jack Cole and Decima look wicked, in midfield I would be slightly disappointed in the average rating of the central midfielders although I suppose it doesn't really matter given how easy you won the league just seems strange that players so good are not having high rated games. Strikers are brilliant Ngome looks awesome and well it's obvious how good Vermeer is, does Ngome play deep? seems his stats should warrant more goals. Overall one of the best squads I have seen on FM10.

After the unbeaten season will this save keep going or is it hard to carry on now there is little domestic challenge?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next Season: Time to put this save to one side for a while. When I come back, I want to see out the career of Michel Vermeer and see just how many goals I can get him to score. And, of course, there will be the unfinished business of the Champions League. I badly want a second Champions League win. So plenty still to play for when I do come back to this but for now, a rest. Signing off for now. COYS!

gialloblu.gif

Great to see all the CB's can pass that must be an advantage at times.

Yes, it's a requirement in my teams and I give them passing training. :thup:

Jack Cole and Decima look wicked

Yeah, I love those guys. Decima is the most expensive player in the world in terms of value, I think. Cole is quality too.

in midfield I would be slightly disappointed in the average rating of the central midfielders although I suppose it doesn't really matter given how easy you won the league just seems strange that players so good are not having high rated games.

Yeah, that is a kind of weird one. First choice was Michael Ball and Rodrigo. They both got ratings in the low 7s. Not sure why they weren't higher.

Strikers are brilliant Ngome looks awesome and well it's obvious how good Vermeer is, does Ngome play deep? seems his stats should warrant more goals.

Yeah, Ngome is second striker. I still expected more goals from him but he is still playing very well so I'm not too worried.

Vermeer is just the best player I've ever had on FM. I love that guy. I mean, I literally love him. He's beautiful. :o

Overall one of the best squads I have seen on FM10.

Thanks! My best achievement in my entire CM/FM playing career. Just a shame we couldn't beat Barcelona and get that second Champions League. I desperately wanted that elusive treble!

After the unbeaten season will this save keep going or is it hard to carry on now there is little domestic challenge?

A break for a while, I think.

The lack of domestic challenge is a pain, although maybe some sides will improve in the future? I've seen some sides improve when a new manager comes in. A good manager seems important and, when they leave, things can go downhill for the AI controlled clubs pretty badly.

I'll definitely come back to it because I want to see out Vermeer's career, I badly want another Champions League crown and I would like to get to the top of the Hall of fame, at least for my nation!

Yeah go for Sweden :D it's the bestest ever.

I had the same problem with people wanting to leave for a new challenge in my fm10 save. It really was disappointing especiially as I had the players for 10-15 years. One of them was even a youth product. Terrible loyalty

england-football101_1.jpg

The Three Lions!

ENGLAND UPDATE - CONFEDERATIONS CUP 2029:

England-2-2.png

Manager Comments:

We qualified as a result of finishing as runners-up in Euro 2028. Italy are hosts so we qualified as the European representatives.

England's first trophy since 1966! The Confederations Cup, which isn't really a proper trophy, is it? Well, they all count, don't they? :p

St. Albans City were well represented, as usual, by Dean Smith, Samuel Ottley, Michael Ball, Jack Cole, Alan Thomas, Ross Hutchinson and Grace Ngome.

Yeah go for Sweden :D it's the bestest ever.

I had the same problem with people wanting to leave for a new challenge in my fm10 save. It really was disappointing especiially as I had the players for 10-15 years. One of them was even a youth product. Terrible loyalty

I wouldn't mind but it's so unrealistic.

Oh, I've just signed a new contract, I love St. Albans City, I love you Crouchaldinho.

One day later.

Oh, I want to leave. I want to leave. Wah, wah, I want to leave. :mad:

I could go for Sweden in the future but if I do, I've a feeling a it'll be a Nordic journeyman save with all of the Nordic countries loaded!

Awesome update Crouchy. I want Smithy to beat the appearence record.

Also love the fact that you signed Ngome to be the big man on big money and Vermeer just trounced him again. You just can't get better than Vermeer.

A great season to finish on, shame about the Champions League but at least you'll have something to aim for when you come back to this. When you load up your next save you'll be cursing you don't have these great players!

Awesome update Crouchy. I want Smithy to beat the appearence record.

Yeah, me too. He's about halfway. I make it 258 league apps to go! That's probably 7 or 8 seasons until he gets there!

I also want Vermeer to beat the goals record. He has 128 to go! Should do it in four or five seasons at this rate!

Also love the fact that you signed Ngome to be the big man on big money and Vermeer just trounced him again. You just can't get better than Vermeer.

Yeah, Vermeer is just such a beast! I just love that guy. I almost want to get a Saints shirt and get 'Vermeer 9' on the back but that's just too nerdy imo. :D

A great season to finish on, shame about the Champions League but at least you'll have something to aim for when you come back to this.

Yes. Well, at least I won it once. Funny that when I won it, I didn't get the league though, so I'd like to do both together.

I've also got this quality England team who have just won the Confederations Cup and finished as runners-up in the Euros the year before. They have to be one of the favourites for the World Cup. I've never won a World Cup on FM and I'd love to do it with England!

When you load up your next save you'll be cursing you don't have these great players!

I'm over at my Calcio journeyman save now again. The players aren't as good, no, but I've got Umberto Eusepi and Davide Vangi and I love both of them too. :p

england-football101_1.jpg

The Three Lions!

Crouchaldinho's England Record (September 2026-Present [1083 days in charge]):

P 	W 	D 	L 	F	A	Win % 		Competitions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
36	25	7	4	96	30	60.4%		Euro 2028 Runners-up
							[b]Confederations Cup 2029 Winners[/b] 	

Great set of updates to (possibly) finish the save off! Shame you missed out on the Euros and Champions League at the final hurdle, would have been the cherry on the cake...

See you over in the Calcio Journeyman thread ;)

More often than not, I lose in finals. :(

Do you find that you are playing any differently in finals than normal league games?

I tend to (almost without meaning to) play more defensively in finals (especially Champions League) - not tactically to start with, but in terms of not going all-out for a equaliser/winner till later than I would in a league game...

Do you find that you are playing any differently in finals than normal league games?

I tend to (almost without meaning to) play more defensively in finals (especially Champions League) - not tactically to start with, but in terms of not going all-out for a equaliser/winner till later than I would in a league game...

I don't really play any differently. I approach the game in the same way as I would any other game really. Maybe that's part of the problem! :D

I do think part of the problem is motivational. Take the game against Barcelona - we were noticeably not quite right in the first-half (or maybe Barcelona were just really fired up) but then, in the second, we were fired up and all over them. Maybe my players can't take the pressure of a final or maybe it's a motivation/team talks issue. I don't know but I've frequently struggled with finals. On this save, we've lost two Champions League finals and England lost the final of Euro 2028. There was also three play-off final losses and a League Cup final defeat over the last twenty years. That's quite a lot of big finals lost!

It's quite sobering to think that we could have been in a position to have won three Champions League titles but, instead, just have the one.

On my Fabio Crouchello save, I lost the World Cup final and a Euro final too!

Big cup finals just don't go right for my teams. :(

In a way, it's a good thing though. It'd be boring if I just won everything. For a good career story, you need some failure along with the successes. The constant failure in the Champions League will make it all the sweeter if (hopefully when!) we manage to win it again.

In a way, it's a good thing though. It'd be boring if I just won everything. For a good career story, you need some failure along with the successes. The constant failure in the Champions League will make it all the sweeter if (hopefully when!) we manage to win it again.

I just get the feeling with England under your stewardship and the ongoing success at the Saints, 2029/30 could be the ultimate year for you, whenever you decide to go back to this save.

I just get the feeling with England under your stewardship and the ongoing success at the Saints, 2029/30 could be the ultimate year for you, whenever you decide to go back to this save.

Could be Bedford Bulldog. :thup:

I would so love a crack at that World Cup with England as I've never won it on any FM.

Your still doing well though. If I could get the CL finals I would be ecstatic!

It's a bit different in Iceland though Flamers. :p

I have built such a great squad and I have dominated so well domestically that it feels like a disappointment that I've only won the one CL title.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at how well I've done. It's just still a disappointment to have the best team in Europe and not to have that title.

We've got a better team than Barcelona as well, so we ought to have beaten them in that final.

I hate Barcelona now. Does that happen to any of you guys (i.e. that an FM hatred turns into a real life one)? :D

I hate Breio in Iceland, and KB if that counts? :p They denied me SO MANY BLOODY CUPS in my career....

Domestic dominance is when you play your B team and still win 5-2... I may have just done that :p

On this save, we've lost two Champions League finals and England lost the final of Euro 2028. There was also three play-off final losses and a League Cup final defeat over the last twenty years. That's quite a lot of big finals lost!

It's quite sobering to think that we could have been in a position to have won three Champions League titles but, instead, just have the one.

I couldn't agree more. It does get disheartening to keep dominating domestically and then one bad game in Europe meaning you have to do it all again though! :mad:

I had the same problem on FM10 doing Dafuge's Challenge. I'd taken Banbury to ten consecutive Premier League crowns (in the late 2030's/early 2040's!) and yet kept coming up short in the Champions League. Always seemed to be against Bayern too... Eventually won it 1-0 AET against a Man City team I'd smashed 5-0 & 5-1 in the League earlier in the season. Although I never managed an unbeaten season, so kudos for that! :thup:

I agree with the masses and believe that you won't be able to part with this save just yet, especially as 'Crouchaldinho Park' still eludes you (if I remember correctly!)...

I agree with the masses and believe that you won't be able to part with this save just yet, especially as 'Crouchaldinho Park' still eludes you (if I remember correctly!)...

You do indeed remember correctly, although I want Hayes Park (my surname)!

There is no doubt I'll be back on this save but I think it's good to have a break because I was started to become annoyed and frustrated with it this last season. Hopefully when I come back to it, I'll be itching to set the record straight in Europe! :D

Great season! :) Sometimes saves are better when you come back to it and let the nostalgia take over. Since reading this I started up an old FM10 save and have enjoyed it like it was new again. FM11 is collecting dust while I add more years onto a memorable team. Just having fun re connecting with players and finding new regen undiscovered talents.

Just going to miss reading the Saints' march to glory and Vermeer's incredible goalscoring feats.

This has been a great update and I look forward to it returning at a later date.

I can fully understand the need for a break, pretty much reaching that point with my Stopsley save, I started a lower league game about a month back and might try to get into that a bit more.

I also agree with you about FM10 and FM11, I am far happier with FM10 and I just can't get a long term game going on FM11.

It's like Vermeer inspired The dutch striker on my FM10 team! Since Vermeer's career with the Saint's a Dutch Regen sprung up in my game under the name Jasper Van Damme. Not as prolific, but a season of 34 goals in 34 games made me notice the irony.

Don't think I will be going back to FM11 any time soon!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick post to say that I will be coming back to this save at some point in the not too distant future.

This save is more or less on hold right now but I will definitely come back to it because I have some great players and I really want to see how things will go in the future. I also have to see out the career of Michel Vermeer to see what he is capable of! And it is a dream for me, in the long-term, to have a stadium named after me, which I've never managed on any FM.

The truth is, it's been a miserable season in real life for St. Albans City and so I've felt pretty sad about things and the negativity has ended up coming over to the save. That's the main reason why I'm leaving it alone for a while. Regarding the real life stuff, for anyone who is interested, St. Albans City have had major problems off the pitch with an incompetent and corrupt chairman. The club were deducted 10 points this season for financial irregularities (not playing tax on player wages) and things just kept going from bad for worse as the club's board couldn't pay the players and cheques kept bouncing. It's a disgrace and an extremely shameful episode in the club's history. The club has ended up relegated but not due to on the pitch issues but because of the actions of the club's board off it. So, you can probably see why I feel so negative and how it has had an effect on the save and spoilt it for me a little bit. To be honest, just looking at the name and club colours in FM makes me frustrated, angry and upset at the moment, but I know that I'll be back once the negativity has worn off!

I'm sure that, at some point, I will get an overwhelming desire to come back to Clarence Park and to see how the old boys are doing, especially Vermeer! And as for that pesky Champions League competition, I have unfinished business for sure! So, fear not, I will be back, and the saga will continue. :)

Hi Crouchy. I'm somewhat of a lurker on these boards but just wanted to pop in and say this has been a very enjoyable read and I'm glad to see it will be resumed at some point.

Sad to hear about the real-life situation at Clarence Park, a ground I've visited a few times over the years. As an Aylesbury United fan for the last 15 years or so, I've seen us in administration twice, relegated three times (two of those times miles adrift at the bottom of the league) and evicted from our ground, and as a result of that being forced to play home games 15 miles outside the town. Having been playing alongside St Albans at Step 2 of the pyramid not too long ago, we are now playing one division above your reserves! So I can have some sympathy and understanding of your present situation! Far too many clubs are being mismanaged at this level currently and it's frightening to see how quickly decades and even centuries of history can be frittered away by a dodgy chairman/board.

My only advice would be to stick with it. I'm sure that someone somewhere is working on getting rid of this chairman and ensuring that your club has a more prosperous future. And even if your immediate future lies outside of the Conference South - it doesn't mean supporting St. Albans can't be fun. You'll be a big fish in the Ryman League pond, and as I've discovered this season, seeing your team winning again on a regular basis is made all the more satisfying after a period of real struggle.

Here's hoping that the Saints bounce back! Ryman League champions this time next year? May not seem like it right now but it could happen!

Hi Crouchy. I'm somewhat of a lurker on these boards but just wanted to pop in and say this has been a very enjoyable read and I'm glad to see it will be resumed at some point.

Sad to hear about the real-life situation at Clarence Park, a ground I've visited a few times over the years. As an Aylesbury United fan for the last 15 years or so, I've seen us in administration twice, relegated three times (two of those times miles adrift at the bottom of the league) and evicted from our ground, and as a result of that being forced to play home games 15 miles outside the town. Having been playing alongside St Albans at Step 2 of the pyramid not too long ago, we are now playing one division above your reserves! So I can have some sympathy and understanding of your present situation! Far too many clubs are being mismanaged at this level currently and it's frightening to see how quickly decades and even centuries of history can be frittered away by a dodgy chairman/board.

My only advice would be to stick with it. I'm sure that someone somewhere is working on getting rid of this chairman and ensuring that your club has a more prosperous future. And even if your immediate future lies outside of the Conference South - it doesn't mean supporting St. Albans can't be fun. You'll be a big fish in the Ryman League pond, and as I've discovered this season, seeing your team winning again on a regular basis is made all the more satisfying after a period of real struggle.

Here's hoping that the Saints bounce back! Ryman League champions this time next year? May not seem like it right now but it could happen!

Thanks for the message Aylesbury Duck. :thup:

If things aren't sorted out properly off the pitch then I probably won't renew my season ticket next season, to be honest. I will probably still attend most Saturday home matches but I'm so disillusioned with the current chairman and board that I will really cut back.

If things get sorted out on the pitch properly, with a consortium coming in, or a board who really care about the club and show the fans that they want the club to bounce back, then I will get another season ticket. But things really have to change because this season has been appalling. It's one thing not being good enough on the pitch (which I can take) but to be incompetent, corrupt, ambitionless, directionless etc. off it and for it to cost the club is very sad.

I'm not so worried about playing at a lower level. I follow/sympathise with Hitchin Town as a second team and they've been playing at step 4 over the last couple of seasons. It's actually done them no harm at all and their gates have been good etc., so I know it can help a club to go down and rebuild. The only thing I really want is someone who cares for football and the club to come in and change a lot of things off the pitch.

Be a tough one. The Ryman league is pretty competitive. Can be like being relegated to the Championship in that respect.

I'm actually hoping for the Zamaretto. The potential for more local games in that league! Will have to see where we end up.

I'm not expecting it to be easy, certainly not. In recent seasons, we've met quite a few step 3 sides and I'd suggest that there isn't too much difference in quality between the two leagues (further evidenced by the fact that teams coming up to Conference South normally do quite well straight away).

I'm actually hoping for the Zamaretto. The potential for more local games in that league! Will have to see where we end up.

Yeah I'd assumed that you'd go to the Ryman as that's where you used to be, but it really could go either way with the current boundaries. You've got Hertfordshire clubs in both leagues (Hendon/Wealdstone in the Ryman, Hemel in the Zamaretto) so you're right on the borderline. Hitchin have just been promoted back to the Zamaretto Premier, so that's another reason for you to prefer that option I guess. Much more interesting league in my experience anyway (no offence to the Ryman chaps on here - I just used to get bored of the M25!).

Good luck with it either way! :thup:

• 3 months later...

It's been a long time without an update in here.

I've since played a couple more seasons of this save. I did so whilst the forum was down, so didn't record anything for updates.

So, in order to catch up, I'm going to do some briefer end of season updates.

When we left off, at the end of season 2028/29, the Saints were unbeaten domestically for a whole season and they also won a domestic double of the PL title and FA Cup. We were, however, still seeking that elusive second Champions League win, after being beaten by Barcelona in the Champions League final. In addition to this, England's future was looking quite good after we managed to win the Confederations Cup 2029 with a strong St. Albans City spine in the squad.

Crouchy's Mighty Saints Save - St. Albans City in the Premier League (Season Twenty One at Clarence Park [now the St. Albans Stadium!] - 2029/30)

20091026011547!St_albans.png

We've dominated domestically in recent seasons but still not managed to win that elusive second Champions League title. I was hoping that this would be the year that we would finally manage to crack Europe.

League Table - a pretty weird season really. Last season, we didn't lose at all. This season, we lost 5 in the league but we did score a fantastic 101 goals! Far less cautious than my usual management style. I think I need to go back to my roots!

FA Cup - We got to the semi-final and then lost on pens to Chelsea despite being very much the superior side.

League Cup - An early exit from the League Cup. It wasn't really a priority and I played a young side in the competition.

UEFA Champions League - We blitzed through the group stages before tackling AC Milan, Porto and Real Madrid. It was an absolutely devastating blow in the final though as we lost against Man Utd on penalties. We were hugely superior in the final but couldn't find a winner and couldn't hold our nerve in the shoot-out. Yet another Champions League final defeat. :( The worst thing for me is that it is a game we should have won against a side who were 15 points worse off than us in the league. :mad:

I didn't save any images or tables of the squad unfortunately or of the transfers but the truth is, I barely changed anything and hardly signed anyone of note. So it was very much the same Saints side as of 2028/29, as you'll see from this Best XI screenshot.

Michel Vermeer Goal Watch! - Another outstanding season from Vermeer as he equalled his league record of 37 goals, this time achieving this tally in just 31 games. It was his highest average rating in the league of his whole career, as he recorded 8.10 in the league! Overall, in all competitions, he netted 53 goals in 49 games.

Cups:

| Season 	| Champions Lge	| Europa League	| FA Cup	| League Cup	|  FL Trophy	| FA Trophy		
|-----------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------
| 09/10 (BSS) 	| 		|		| 3rd Rnd    	| 		|  		| 3rd Qual Rnd 
| 10/11 (BSS) 	| 		|		| 1st Rnd    	|    		|  		| 1st Rnd
| 11/12 (BSS) 	| 		|		| 2nd Rnd    	|  		|  		| 1st Rnd
| 12/13 (BSP) 	| 		|		| 2nd Rnd    	|  		|  		| 3rd Rnd
| 13/14 (BSP)	| 		|		| 3rd Rnd    	| 		|  		| 1st Rnd
| 14/15 (L2) 	| 		|		| 3rd Rnd    	| 1st Rnd 	|  1st Rnd	| 
| 15/16 (L1) 	|		| 		| 1st Rnd    	| 2nd Rnd 	|  S Semi	| 
| 16/17 (L1) 	| 		|		| 3rd Rnd    	| 2nd Rnd 	|  1st Rnd	| 
| 17/18 (Ch) 	| 		|		| 3rd Rnd    	| 2nd Rnd 	|    		| 
| 18/19 (Ch) 	| 		|		| 5th Rnd    	| 3rd Rnd 	|    		| 
| 19/20 (Ch) 	| 		|		| 3rd Rnd    	| 3rd Rnd 	|  	  	| 
| 20/21 (Pr) 	| 		|		| WINNERS!  	| 3rd Rnd 	|  	  	| 
| 21/22 (Pr) 	|		| Semi-finals	| 5th Round  	| Runners-up 	|  	  	| 
| 22/23 (Pr) 	| Runners-up	| 		| WINNERS!	| Semi-finals 	|  	  	| 
| 23/24 (Pr) 	| Semi-finals	| 		| WINNERS!	| WINNERS! 	|  	  	| 
| 24/25 (Pr) 	| WINNERS!	| 		| 5th Rnd	| WINNERS! 	|  	  	| 
| 25/26 (Pr) 	| 1st KO Rnd	| 		| 5th Rnd	| 3rd Rnd 	|  	  	| 
| 26/27 (Pr) 	| 1st KO Rnd	| 		| 6th Rnd	| WINNERS! 	|  	  	| 
| 27/28 (Pr) 	| Semi-finals	| 		| WINNERS!	| WINNERS! 	|  	  	| 
| 28/29 (Pr) 	| Runners-up	| 		| WINNERS!	| QFs		|  	  	| 
| 29/30 (Pr) 	| Runners-up	| 		| Semi finals	| 4th Rnd	|  	  	| 

League:

Season      	Team      		League      	Position   	Achievements & Notes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10      	St. Albans City   	BSS	    	4th      	FA Cup 3rd Rnd
2010/11		St. Albans City   	BSS	    	2nd      	Play-off finalists
2011/12		St. Albans City   	BSS	    	[b]1st		[/b][b]BSS Champions[/b], Manager of the Season
2012/13		St. Albans City   	BSP	    	5th      	
2013/14		St. Albans City		BSP		[b]1st		[/b][b]BSP Champions[/b], Manager of the Season
2014/15		St. Albans City		CCL2		[b]1st		[/b][b]League Two Champions[/b], Manager of the Season
2015/16		St. Albans City		CCL1		3rd		Play-off finalists
2016/17		St. Albans City		CCL1		2nd		Automatic Promotion
2017/18		St. Albans City		CCCh		7th		
2018/19		St. Albans City		CCCh		4th		Play-off finalists
2019/20		St. Albans City		CCCh		2nd		Automatic Promotion
2020/21		St. Albans City		Prem		10th		[b]FA Cup Winners[/b]
2021/22		St. Albans City		Prem		2nd		CShield winners. League Cup runners-up
2022/23		St. Albans City		Prem		2nd		CShield winners. [b]FA Cup Winners![/b] CL runners-up
2023/24		St. Albans City		Prem		[b]1st[/b]		[b]Domestic treble: PL title, FA Cup & League Cup![/b] 
2024/25		St. Albans City		Prem		2nd		CShield winners. [b]Champions League & League Cup winners![/b] 
2025/26		St. Albans City		Prem		[b]1st[/b]		[b]Premier League winners![/b] Club World Cup & Euro Super Cup winners
2026/27		St. Albans City		Prem		[b]1st[/b]		CShield Winners. [b]Premier League and League Cup winners![/b] 
2027/28		St. Albans City		Prem		[b]1st[/b]		CShield Winners. [b]Domestic treble: PL title, FA Cup & League Cup![/b] 
2028/29		St. Albans City		Prem		[b]1st[/b]		CShield Winners. [b]Domestic double: PL title & FA Cup![/b] 
2029/30		St. Albans City		Prem		[b]1st[/b]		CShield Winners. [b]PL title![/b]

Next Season

We didn't reach our potential this season, especially on the big occasions. I feel like things got a bit stale this season. I also feel like I need to get back to my roots in terms of the style of football that we play. It's all right scoring 100s of goals but if you can't win the big matches then you're never going to win the Champions League. Things certainly need freshening up and that's my target for next season!

Archived