[FM10] When The Saints Go Marching In - Crouchy's Mighty Saints Save!

crouchaldinho

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20091026011547!St_albans.png

UPDATE FOR FEBRUARY 2032:

Feb2032.jpg

Manager Comments for February 2032:

A solid month in the league, with the loss to Chelsea as the only disappointment. In reality, we deserved at least a draw from that game. It says everything that their goalkeeper was man of the match. I wasn't too disheartened by the loss, therefore, because we really ought to have got more from the game.

We progressed in the FA Cup with ease and also had a solid first leg of the first knock-out round of the Champions League. With two away goals, I would hope that we will progress in the competition in the second leg.

The real news is our continued form in the league. At times, we have looked unstoppable, and Michel Vermeer has been scoring for fun! 13 goals in 7 games (8 goals in 5 league games)! Amazing. :cool:

11 points clear now of second placed Man City. It's going very well in the league!

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[b]| 1st   |       | St. Albans   |       | 29    | 25    | 2     | 2     | 77    | 15    | +62   | 77    | [/b]
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Man City     |       | 29    | 20    | 6     | 3     | 41    | 14    | +27   | 66    | 
| 3rd   |       | Arsenal      |       | 29    | 17    | 7     | 5     | 33    | 14    | +19   | 58    | 
| 4th   |       | Chelsea      |       | 29    | 17    | 6     | 6     | 42    | 20    | +22   | 57    | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

20091026011547!St_albans.png

UPDATE FOR MARCH 2032:

Mar2032.jpg

Manager Comments for March 2032:

We started the month with progress in the FA Cup. It sent us through to a semi-final where we will meet Everton.

In the Champions League, we hammered Standard 6-1 to progress to the quarter-finals in some considerable style.

The league was a little more tricky. We were average against Everton, appalling against Man City but then recovered well enough against Leeds.

The result against Man City hurt. Everything went wrong in that game really, although we were in it right up until the end and the scoreline is flattering towards them.

At the end of the month, we got our revenge on Man City. An excellent 2-1 win away from home in the Champions League puts us in charge of the tie going into the second leg. I'm hopeful of a classic European night in St. Albans and quietly confident that we can get through to the semis.

We're down to 6 points clear in the league now but that's still pretty terrific. Out of the two Man City games, I definitely would have preferred to win the game in Europe. We could almost 'afford' the loss in the league. We stand in a great position currently as we attempt to defend our treble.

Current League Position:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[b]| 1st   |       | St. Albans   |       | 32    | 26    | 3     | 3     | 82    | 19    | +63   | 81    | [/b]
| 2nd   |       | Man City     |       | 32    | 23    | 6     | 3     | 48    | 15    | +33   | 75    | 
| 3rd   |       | Chelsea      |       | 32    | 18    | 8     | 6     | 45    | 22    | +23   | 62    | 
| 4th   |       | Arsenal      |       | 31    | 17    | 7     | 7     | 33    | 16    | +17   | 58    | 

COYS! gialloblu.gif

Oh my goodness, my FM life has changed forever!

My new PC arrived yesterday. It's amazing! :D

I have tested it on FM and I get 5 stars for performance and for 3D. I can load a ton of leagues, which is amazing. I'm planning a big journeyman career for FM12!

Also tested on Minecraft and I can max it out, so I'm extremely happy with that too.

In the end I went with the Intel Quad Core I5 2500 at 3.30GHz. I also went with the 8GB RAM and the NVidia Geforce GTS450. All in all, it's a superb machine and I'm delighted so far. :)

Yeah I've Gears of War 3 on pre-order so think I'll wait until I'm bored of that. Oh, and some money would be useful!

Actually I should be getting the first bit of my PhD grant in by the time Gears comes out so should be ok for money after then.

Hooray! Man, I want a new computer now

It is a wonderful feeling to get one, especially for FM! Sad really but I'm just a little bit too excited about my new computer!

me too but i feel it would be a waste of money as il probably be living my life on MW3 when it comes out.

I don't even know what that is. I'm going to have a guess. Is it a game called Modern Warfare 3? I presume on the PS3 or Xbox or something? :p

I'm a computer person, not a console person, I must say. I've only ever had a Mega Drive when I was a kid!

I prefer PC games, although I'm not much of a gamer in general. The two main games I play at the moment are FM and Minecraft. I particularly like games where you are free to make your own story, essentially, and you don't have specific goals to achieve. I guess where the narrative is 'free'. Like in FM, you make your own goals and you aren't tied to following a specific route. Same with Minecraft, where you are free to reshape the world and do whatever you want. I guess I really just like to use my imagination when it comes to gaming.

If you guys can recommend any games that I might like though, I would give them a try on my new computer! :)

Yeah I've Gears of War 3 on pre-order so think I'll wait until I'm bored of that. Oh, and some money would be useful!

Gears of War 3. No idea what that is either! :p

Is it a RPG type of game?

Money is always useful but, as you know being a fellow postgrad student, it isn't exactly plentiful when you're studying! :(

Actually I should be getting the first bit of my PhD grant in by the time Gears comes out so should be ok for money after then.

Ah, you are doing a PhD! Well done SnakeXe! I'm jealous. I would love to do a PhD but I think it will have to wait until later in my life as other priorities are about to kick in.

What is your subject by the way. I'm sure you told me actually but I forget. Was it something in the humanities?

Gears of War 3. No idea what that is either! :p

Is it a RPG type of game?

It's a cover-based third person shooter (if that makes any sense whatsoever!). I don't play many non-FM games, but the Gears of War series is one I've enjoyed - mostly because my friends all have it and we all play it online, which can be a good laugh. Can be very frustrating if you have a bad connection to the host, as it's highly dependent on your reactions being good, and a bit of lag really doesn't help!

Ah, you are doing a PhD! Well done SnakeXe! I'm jealous. I would love to do a PhD but I think it will have to wait until later in my life as other priorities are about to kick in.

What is your subject by the way. I'm sure you told me actually but I forget. Was it something in the humanities?

It's with the Mechanical Engineering department with my research based around computational structural analysis of a tennis racquet stringbed's dynamic response when impacted by a tennis ball (if that makes any sense whatsoever :p). I did an undergraduate MEng in Sports Engineering so it seemed an interesting way to go - will be the first paper on the subject published at the University of Bath should I write something publishable! The University of Sheffield have done quite a lot more on the subject so it'll be interesting to compare my work to theirs.

The funding is actually quite good - it's tax free so it's actually comparable to the lower end of graduate salaries, so I don't feel I'm compromising too much. Basically I'm treating it as a 3-year job where I trade a little cash for being Dr. SnakeXe :cool:

Whats Minecraft?

Any good?

Absolutely amazing!

This video probably sums it up -

Essentially, as the name suggests, you mine and craft primarily.

It's an open-ended game with endless possibilities. No specific plot to follow or anything like that. The game generates a giant random world for you to explore. Basically, the primary tasks are to 1) survive and 2) collect resources.

You start out with nothing and need to find resources to shelter before nightfall. It's a kind of survival mode. Then, slowly but surely, you can start building a decent base, exploring, mining deep down into the world, and building stuff. All the time, you have to be wary of creatures/monsters which will attack you. They spawn at night, hence the need to shelter, but even during the day you can be at risk, and anywhere there is darkness (e.g. caves, underground whilst mining etc.)

The graphics are basic/retro, which is part of its charm. It creates some pretty epic worlds to explore.

The great thing about the game is there is a variety of ways to play the game. You can concentrate on exploring, building, fighting with the bad guys, blowing stuff up, harvesting stuff or whatever you want.

You can also get as technical as you want with it. You can live in a hole in the ground if you want. Alternatively, you can build a castle or live in an Egyptian style pyramid, whatever you want! You can also build electronic stuff if you're really nerdy - the furthest I've got is creating a rail track where you can turn and press a button to start moving. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

This is a funny video about surviving the first night -

(Bear in mind that that was an alpha version of the game and that things have changed quite a bit, plus those two are pretty useless at surviving!)

And this video shows the new 1.8 adventure update that has just came out -

It's a cover-based third person shooter (if that makes any sense whatsoever!). I don't play many non-FM games, but the Gears of War series is one I've enjoyed - mostly because my friends all have it and we all play it online, which can be a good laugh. Can be very frustrating if you have a bad connection to the host, as it's highly dependent on your reactions being good, and a bit of lag really doesn't help!

I'm the same. I don't play many games other than FM. Minecraft is my guilty pleasure!

It's with the Mechanical Engineering department with my research based around computational structural analysis of a tennis racquet stringbed's dynamic response when impacted by a tennis ball (if that makes any sense whatsoever :p). I did an undergraduate MEng in Sports Engineering so it seemed an interesting way to go - will be the first paper on the subject published at the University of Bath should I write something publishable! The University of Sheffield have done quite a lot more on the subject so it'll be interesting to compare my work to theirs.

The funding is actually quite good - it's tax free so it's actually comparable to the lower end of graduate salaries, so I don't feel I'm compromising too much. Basically I'm treating it as a 3-year job where I trade a little cash for being Dr. SnakeXe :cool:

Awesome stuff. No idea where I got the humanities from, sorry!

Very impressive though, my friend. I wish you lots of luck in getting that Dr SnakeXe title! Fantastic! :)

This is a funny video about surviving the first night -
(Bear in mind that that was an alpha version of the game and that things have changed quite a bit, plus those two are pretty useless at surviving!)

That is brilliant, really made me laugh :lol:

I've not played minecraft but it looks like something I'd enjoy. The worry is I could see it eating away at my FM time!

I've not played minecraft but it looks like something I'd enjoy. The worry is I could see it eating away at my FM time!

The whole set of Yogscast Minecraft videos are brilliantly funny - don't know how much time I've wasted watching them all!

I don't play Minecraft much, got a bit bored of it to be honest (after quite a lot of time it must be said), but I played a little bit of the 1.8 update pre-release and the new stuff is amazing! Really massive improvement to the game, can't wait for the full release :D

Go for it Iacovone. I thoroughly recommend it. I'm not really into games but Minecraft has joined FM on my exclusive list of amazing games that I love!

Seriously, I would recommend anyone to get it as it's so much fun and has endless replay value.

The whole set of Yogscast Minecraft videos are brilliantly funny - don't know how much time I've wasted watching them all!

Yeah, I love them. The Yogscast guys are hilarious and I really enjoy their videos.

I don't play Minecraft much, got a bit bored of it to be honest (after quite a lot of time it must be said),

I also sort of got to the stage where I thought I had done most stuff and then I watched this YouTube video of a guy who was playing in a totally awesome way. Personally, I'm not much of a builder, preferring to explore and fight the bad guys etc. And this guy on YouTube had a series focusing on exploration and strategies for playing the game, which was really interesting to me. It changed my way of playing Minecraft. I ended up doing loads more stuff, like finding tons of dungeons, spelunking loads, and that kind of thing. Some of my projects included building a 'sky rail' system, which was basically building a 1km Minecart rail out to the North and a 2km out to the West. It was really fun because I ended up discovering loads of cool places on the way. I also converted a skeleton dungeon into a mob trap to collect arrows and bones etc. and did a whole bunch of other cool stuff. I did other stuff like messing about with red stone and pistons too. I even built loads of Nether Portals and used it for fast travel to new parts of my world, which was awesome. When I got bored of a place, I'd just go up on the Sky Rail or through the Nether and start again somewhere new. Anyway, the long and short of it was that I am as addicted as ever! This is the guy who I was talking about on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/lorgon111 - it's worth checking out some of his early videos. He's had a pretty awesome adventure up until now but has started a new 1.8 world.

but I played a little bit of the 1.8 update pre-release and the new stuff is amazing! Really massive improvement to the game, can't wait for the full release :D

The new Adventure Update is pretty amazing. Being the sort of player who isn't really into building (I tend to just build practical stuff) and who prefers exploring, it's totally my cup of tea. I'm going to have a lot of fun exploring the new stuff in the game. And it definitely feels more like survival now. Awesome stuff!

I also sort of got to the stage where I thought I had done most stuff and then I watched this YouTube video of a guy who was playing in a totally awesome way. Personally, I'm not much of a builder, preferring to explore and fight the bad guys etc. And this guy on YouTube had a series focusing on exploration and strategies for playing the game, which was really interesting to me. It changed my way of playing Minecraft. I ended up doing loads more stuff, like finding tons of dungeons, spelunking loads, and that kind of thing. Some of my projects included building a 'sky rail' system, which was basically building a 1km Minecart rail out to the North and a 2km out to the West. It was really fun because I ended up discovering loads of cool places on the way. I also converted a skeleton dungeon into a mob trap to collect arrows and bones etc. and did a whole bunch of other cool stuff. I did other stuff like messing about with red stone and pistons too. I even built loads of Nether Portals and used it for fast travel to new parts of my world, which was awesome. When I got bored of a place, I'd just go up on the Sky Rail or through the Nether and start again somewhere new. Anyway, the long and short of it was that I am as addicted as ever! This is the guy who I was talking about on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/lorgon111 - it's worth checking out some of his early videos. He's had a pretty awesome adventure up until now but has started a new 1.8 world.

That sounds like an interestingly different take on playing the game!

My problem is I'm always worried about having loads of awesome stuff on me and losing it somewhere where I don't know where I am. I guess maps and spawning from beds kind of helps mitigate that risk, but then I haven't played it a whole lot since that was introduced. I guess with the impetus of 1.8 coming out I'll hopefully be sufficiently engaged to give it a proper go again!

Have you ever played multiplayer?

The guy in that YouTube video I linked to has some good strategies for coping with losing your stuff when in caves etc. He recommends loads of good ideas, such as sleeping the night near a potential cave system and also building a base station somewhere accessible so you can drop off any decent stuff occasionally. He also gives quite a lot of tips in order to avoid dying in the first place. I improved quite a bit after watching his vids, although the occasional creeper still lands on my head or something and blows me up! :D

I've also got this minimap mod, which is awesome, that kind of makes it easier to locate your stuff if you die. It gives you the coords so that you can go find it in a hurry. I don't install many mods but that one is awesome. I was always getting lost but the minimap lets you save 'waypoints' so that I can easily locate all of my houses/bases in the world, for example.

I've been playing a bit of 1.8 this evening. It really is an awesome update, I must say.

I've played a bit of multiplayer but I lagged badly on my old computer. Well, either the computer or the internet connection was at fault. Perhaps both. As I mainly like exploring, it sucked that I lagged, because it made fighting much more difficult. If I could get it running at a decent speed then I think I would enjoy it more. I'm also more of a single player person though. Multiplayer seems to mainly be people building awesome stuff and I'm not that bothered about that! :D

The guy in that YouTube video I linked to has some good strategies for coping with losing your stuff when in caves etc. He recommends loads of good ideas, such as sleeping the night near a potential cave system and also building a base station somewhere accessible so you can drop off any decent stuff occasionally. He also gives quite a lot of tips in order to avoid dying in the first place. I improved quite a bit after watching his vids, although the occasional creeper still lands on my head or something and blows me up! :D

I cracked into a dungeon last night and three creepers and two zombies jumped out at me! Total brown trousers moment!

I've also got this minimap mod, which is awesome, that kind of makes it easier to locate your stuff if you die. It gives you the coords so that you can go find it in a hurry. I don't install many mods but that one is awesome. I was always getting lost but the minimap lets you save 'waypoints' so that I can easily locate all of my houses/bases in the world, for example.

That sounds excellent :thup:

The only mod I've ever installed was one of the ones they did a Mod Spotlight on on the Yogscast, it was the "Better Than Wolves" one with stuff like mechanical power and hemp - very very good mod, I hope they eventually include some of those ideas in the full game.

I've been playing a bit of 1.8 this evening. It really is an awesome update, I must say.

I just played some now - haven't found any of the rivines, ruins or mushrooms yet so I might have to explore around once I've got some supplies together. I spawned on quite a small island with no natural caves though, so that limits the fun a bit!

I've played a bit of multiplayer but I lagged badly on my old computer. Well, either the computer or the internet connection was at fault. Perhaps both. As I mainly like exploring, it sucked that I lagged, because it made fighting much more difficult. If I could get it running at a decent speed then I think I would enjoy it more. I'm also more of a single player person though. Multiplayer seems to mainly be people building awesome stuff and I'm not that bothered about that! :D

Yeah it is more about building stuff, especially with all the server mods the one I've played on had. I think spelunking is my favourite part of the game, and it's much less atmospheric if you have someone dressed as Mr. Blobby dancing around in front of you :p

Sorry Crouchie but not even your persuasive skills will let me play this peice of poop

What don't you like about it?

Oh my goodness, my FM life has changed forever!

My new PC arrived yesterday. It's amazing! :D

I have tested it on FM and I get 5 stars for performance and for 3D. I can load a ton of leagues, which is amazing. I'm planning a big journeyman career for FM12!

Also tested on Minecraft and I can max it out, so I'm extremely happy with that too.

In the end I went with the Intel Quad Core I5 2500 at 3.30GHz. I also went with the 8GB RAM and the NVidia Geforce GTS450. All in all, it's a superb machine and I'm delighted so far. :)

How much does a machine like that cost?

I thought it looked rubbish before I played it, but it's like crack.

Exactly.

A friend was showing me the game and I was thinking to myself, this just looks a bit weird, I'll never get into this.

Then I watched one or two YouTube videos and I became curious.

Finally, I bought the game, loaded it up, and couldn't stop playing! :D

I was rubbish at first and kept dying due to monsters and particularly falling in lava. The latter seemed to be my forte! Eventually, I got the hang and I love the game now!

What I love most is just the random uniqueness of it and the replay value. A whole world that is completely unique to me and I can explore it and do whatever I like. There's more to it than that, of course, but that's what first started to draw me in!

Did you finish the season Crouchy? You had 6 games left to play iirc.

I've gone ahead and finished the season. Haven't put the updates on here yet though but they will be coming soon.

Since having this new computer, I've found it has taken me ages to move stuff over from my laptop and my screenshots are still not on this computer. I'll get around to doing it at some point.

I really want to get some more season done on here because I love Michel Vermeer and because I really wanted to work towards the (very) long-term goal of getting a stadium named after me! :)

Oh God what have you done Crouchy. I've started playing Minecraft...gaming crack is the term I'd use...:(

How's it going Iacovone? Are you addicted yet? :D

I cracked into a dungeon last night and three creepers and two zombies jumped out at me! Total brown trousers moment!

I know the feeling! :D Creepers are definitely my most difficult opponent on the game, particularly in cave systems where the area is tight. They have a tendency to fall on my head from above, which I'm not too fond of.

I've done quite well on the new game already. I've found a spider, zombie and skeleton dungeon so far. Also got an abandoned mine near the spawn and found the NPC village. No sign of a stronghold yet.

The only mod I've ever installed was one of the ones they did a Mod Spotlight on on the Yogscast, it was the "Better Than Wolves" one with stuff like mechanical power and hemp - very very good mod, I hope they eventually include some of those ideas in the full game.

Yeah, that did look good.

I'm not a big fan of mods as such but the minimap thing is brilliant for me. I like to explore and it's great being able to set waypoints on the map so that I can easily find my way back to places. That's what I use it for and it really helps with my exploring. Other than that, I tend to be a default Minecraft kind of player.

I think spelunking is my favourite part of the game,

Me too!

You'd like Lorgon111's Youtube channel. He's just like us, loving the exploring and spelunking!

Anyway, I better get more on topic. These last few posts from me have all been about Minecraft, which is a bit ridiculous seeing as we're on an FM forum! :D

Updates of my Saints save coming soon! I promise!

How's it going Iacovone? Are you addicted yet? :D

Yes :(

It's great isn't it? Spent ages building a fairly average house before exploring the island and now have climbed the most enormous set of mountains and built a house/castle into the side of one of them. Killed a couple of Endermen too.

you have to buy mincecraft? crikey what a waste of money. I thought it was like a game built into the pc like solitare

Meow, kitty's got claws!

Did Notch do the dirty with a close relative of yours or something?

Yes :(

It's great isn't it? Spent ages building a fairly average house before exploring the island and now have climbed the most enormous set of mountains and built a house/castle into the side of one of them. Killed a couple of Endermen too.

I absolutely pooed myself when I first saw one, then realised they're neutral until you stare at them. Then I accidentally stared at it and it opened its mouth and went mental, I ran away and then laughed at it when I realised it was dying in the stream behind me :D

Archived