FM10: Official MLS Thread

Harryseaess

MLS.jpg

The 2009 MLS season runs from March 19 through November 22. The 15 teams in the league are divided into the Eastern and Western Conferences — seven in the Eastern Conference, eight in the Western Conference. Each team plays 30 games, evenly divided between home and away matches. Each team competes against every other team twice, home and away, for a total of 28 games. The remaining two games are intra-conference matches, often highlighting geographic and conference rivalries. The team with the most total points at the end of the regular season is awarded the Supporters' Shield. Eight teams then proceed to the MLS Cup Playoffs ending in the single match MLS Cup final.

MLS has three automatic berths in the CONCACAF Champions League with extra berths possible via the U.S. Open Cup and the Canadian Championship. For CONCACAF Champions League 2009–10, qualifying teams include MLS Cup 2008 and Supporters' Shield winner the Columbus Crew, Supporters' Shield runner-up the Houston Dynamo, MLS Cup runner-up the New York Red Bulls, 2008 U.S. Open Cup winner D.C. United, and 2009 Canadian Championship winner Toronto FC. Columbus and Houston are automatically seeded into the Group Stage. New York, Toronto, and D.C. are required to play in the Preliminary Round.

MLS also has four berths in SuperLiga, a competition jointly organised by MLS and Mexico's national football governing body, the FMF. The top four overall teams from the 2008 season, excluding those participating in the Champions League, qualify for SuperLiga 2009. This includes the Chicago Fire, the New England Revolution, the Kansas City Wizards, and Chivas USA.

Teams

Eastern Conference

Chicago Fire

Training/Youth Facilities: Good Training Facilities/Good Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £41m

Transfer Budget: £550k

Wage Budget: £41k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 20133

Media Prediction: 2nd

Columbus Crew

Training/Youth Facilities: Top Training Facilities/Average Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £33m

Transfer Budget: £110k

Wage Budget: £40k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 22555

Media Prediction: 1st

DC United

Estimated Value: £39m

Transfer Budget: £170k

Wage Budget: £56k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 45000

Media Prediction: 4th

Kansas City Wizards

Estimated Value: £27.5m

Transfer Budget: £160k

Wage Budget: £34k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 10385

Media Prediction: 5th

New England Revolution

Training/Youth Facilities: Top Training Facilities/Good Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £30m

Transfer Budget: £190k

Stadium Capacity: 25000

Media Prediction: 3rd

New York Red Bulls

Training/Youth Facilities: Good Training Facilities/Excellent Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £58m

Transfer Budget: £240k

Wage Budget: £84k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 25576

Media Prediction: 1st

Toronto FC

Estimated Value: £51m

Transfer Budget: £400k

Wage Budget: £67k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 20183

Media Prediction: 7th

Western Conference

Chivas USA

Training/Youth Facilities: Top Training Facilities/Excellent Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £39.5m

Transfer Budget: £140k

Wage Budget: £63k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 27000

Media Prediction: 4th

Colorado Rapids

Estimated Value: £36.5m

Stadium Capacity: 18086

Media Prediction: 5th

FC Dallas

Estimated Value: £37m

Transfer Budget: £250k

Wage Budget: £30.5k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 21193

Media Prediction: 7th

Houston Dynamo

Training/Youth Facilities: Good Training Facilities/Average Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £36m

Wage Budget: £53k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 32000

Media Prediction: 2nd

Los Angeles Galaxy

Training/Youth Facilities: Top Training Facilities/Excellent Youth Facilities

Estimated Value: £113m

Transfer Budget: £230k

Wage Budget: £120k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 27000

Media Prediction: 6th

Real Salt Lake

Estimated Value: £37m

Transfer Budget: £150k

Wage Budget: £46.5k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 24287

Media Prediction: 3rd

San Jose Earthquakes

Estimated Value: £39.5m

Transfer Budget: £130k

Wage Budget: £44k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 10300

Media Prediction: 8th

Seattle Sounders FC

Estimated Value: £32m

Transfer Budget: £140k

Wage Budget: £97k p/w

Stadium Capacity: 32400

Media Prediction: 6th

I hope you guys enjoy a save in the MLS, I will be as active in this thread as I can. Good luck!

I decided to take control of LA Galaxy. Currently I have played 2 games and won 2, a 4-2 win over DC United and a 3-0 win over Colorado.

Transfers In

Edgar Davids - Free

Mark Viduka - Free

German Villa - Free

Christian Vieri - Free

Dave Myrie - Draft

Mariano Trujillo - Free

As you can see, I didn't spend a penny and managed to bring in some decent (but old) players. I went for the typical MLS route of buying well known players in order to improve how MLS is viewed in world football. Davids, Viduka and Vieri were all loved as soon as they signed. I signed these players because I wanted to keep it quite realistic in regards to how MLS actually is. I tried to sign Sol Campbell aswell but he went Tottenham(!) instead.

Transfers Out

Kyle Patterson - £7k

Sean Franklin - £20k

Bryan Jordan - Free

Eddie Lewis - Free

Alan Gordon - Free

Nothing to really talk about here, I had a £3m bid for Beckham and a £4.2m bid for Donovan bit I rejected both.

Starting XI/Formation

4-1-3-2

-------------Ricketts------------------

--Klein--Berhalter--Sanneh--Dunivant--

---------------Villa-------------------

--Beckham-----Davids-------Donovan--

---------Viduka------Vieri-------------

Davids and Viduka have done excellent in their first 2 games, both of them have scored 2 goals. Vieri is yet to score but give him time and i'm sure he will start to score a few.

If you would like any screenshots then please ask and I will be happy to upload them for you. I will be updating in this thread quite regularly and I hope we can get a few people on board to get a MLS save going.

I don't think there is a limit to how many foreigners you are allowed, although, the foreign players do have 'Fgn' next to their names. I checked the league rules on FM and it doesn't say anything about the restriction of foreign players. Does anybody know if there is a restriction on how many foreigners are allowed?

I don't think there is a limit to how many foreigners you are allowed, although, the foreign players do have 'Fgn' next to their names. I checked the league rules on FM and it doesn't say anything about the restriction of foreign players. Does anybody know if there is a restriction on how many foreigners are allowed?

It should say near the bottom of your squad list how mahy international player's you are allowed iirc.

It should say near the bottom of your squad list how mahy international player's you are allowed iirc.

At the bottom of my squad list it says:

Maximum of one Designated player in the squad

Maximum of 8 internationals

Maximum of 20 Senior Roster Players

Maximum Squad Size 0f 24 Players

Maximum Squad Salary of £32,938 p/w

There is nothing about foreign players.

At the bottom of my squad list it says:

There is nothing about foreign players.

Ahh okay. I can't really remember.:o I dont think there is a limit for foreign players but for foregin internationally capped players? Im sure Davids, Viduka and Vieri will count towards the 8 international slots, as will D Ricketts.

Very Nice thread :thup:

Looks like a lot of work, so great job mate ;)

Thanks mate, I hope you can enjoy a MLS save in the near future :thup:.

Ahh okay. I can't really remember.:o I dont think there is a limit for foreign players but for foregin internationally capped players? Im sure Davids, Viduka and Vieri will count towards the 8 international slots, as will D Ricketts.

Yeah, I have used up my 8 international spots, they are taken by Beckham, Ricketts, Davids, Villa, Vieri, Viduka, Birchall and Trujillo.

Internationals is American for foreigners, which means players from outside the US, regardless of whether they were ever capped.

p.s. A lot of players have have green cards, which means they don't count as foreigners, even if they are from elsewhere.

Internationals is American for foreigners, which means players from outside the US, regardless of whether they were ever capped.

p.s. A lot of players have have green cards, which means they don't count as foreigners, even if they are from elsewhere.

Thanks for clearing that up.

A tip for any guys that decide to play as LA Galaxy, sell Donovan at the start of the game. I had bids of £4.2m for him but turned them down, he became unsettled as soon as anybody showed any interest and he refused to sign a contract (runs out 31st December 2009), he has now accepted a contract from Dinamo Kiev. he has been doing well for me this season (17 games, 9 goals, 3 assists) but you may aswell cash in at the start of the game instead of losing him on a free.

On a good note, Beckham became unsettled and stated that he wanted to leave but he has just singed a new £65k a week contract (was on £75k a week) until the end of 2013.

End of Season 1

Overall it was a good season, I managed to finish to finish top of the Western Conference and then win the whole MLS, with a 2-1 win over New England in the Final.

Transfers In

Edgar Davids - Free

Mark Viduka - Free

Christian Vieri - Free

German Villa - Free

Dave Myrie - Draft

Mariano Trujillo - Free

Ante Razov - Free

Razov looks like a great addition to the squad, especially as Donovan is leaving. He is old but has great stats and hopefully should score quite a few goals.

Transfers Out

Kyle Patterson - £7k

Sean Franklin - £20k

Bryan Jordan - Free

Eddie Lewis - Free

Alan Gordon - Free

Tristan Bowen - Free

Israel Sesay - Free

Landon Donovan - Free

Obviously my biggest loss was Donovan on a free due to him being unsettled and not wanting to sign a contract. He will be a massive loss to the team.

Star Players

Landon Donovan - I started him on the left wing but when Vieri didn't perform upfront, I switched Donovan to there and he soon started banging in the goals. 35 games, 20 goals and 4 assists. He is going to be a massive loss next season and I don't really know who can be brought in to properly replace him, so if you guys have any ideas, that would be great.

Mark Viduka - I signed him because he was always guranteed to give you goals, and thats exactly what he did, he played 27 games, scoring 13 goals and getting 7 assits. i can't complain with a goal every 2 games.

Edgar Davids - Probably the best player I had in the team. I played him in a CM role and he thrived under it. He played 33 games, scoring 6 goals and getting 6 assists. He was the heartbeat of the team and pretty much every single move went through him. I'm just worried about the fact that he is 36 now and can't have too many years left in him.

David Beckham - As always, he performed very well, he played 33 games, scoring 5 goals and getting 13 assists. He popped up a few times with crucial freekicks that were required for me to get anything from some games. I got him to sign a contract until the end of 2013 so it looks like he will end his career at LA Galaxy. He is 34 now so his stats are likely to start declining soon.

Potential Signings

I don't really know of any players in particular, but the positions I think I need a new player for are:

LM/AML

ST

I will update again when the transfer window closes at the start of next season. As always, if you would like any screenshots then please just ask.

I also have a LA Galaxy game I'm running with a mate (he's playing as Toronto FC). Here are my dealings:

LAGalaxy.jpg

I only picked up Myrie because he has a high value and I was hoping to move him, but it looks like I'll have to waive him sooner or later.

Amazingly I was able to re-sign both Donovan and Beckham for significantly lower wages. I'm only three games into the season, but thus far I've won them all quite comfortably, with scorers coming from all over the field.

I've just started a save with New York Red Bulls. Picked up the obvious free agents, Vieri, Viduka and Davids. Just working through the friendlies. I very rarely have saves with teams outside of the top euro leagues so struggling a bit with tactics, but have just dumbed down my Spurs 4-4-2 and it seems to be paying off. Will update when more happens. One question though, how do I sign a DP? I have Angel but have another slot, how do I use it?

I'm a seasoned MLS vet on FM, I have a few suggestions for MLS in FM10:

Free Transfers:

Henri Camara: Keep an eye out for him, I got him on a low salary, and his pace in the first couple of seasons(drops a lot as he gets older) makes him an absolute menace for many backlines in MLS.

Amr Zaki: I've had hit and miss seasons with him, he can explode, but has generally been inconsistent for me and eats up your only Design Player spot.

Tomas Rosicky:I got him on a free during the spring of 2010 for 2.7M a year from Arsenal. He's still 29 years old and is a megastar in MLS. The only downside with him is you MUST remember to take him off later in games, don't let his fitness drop into the mid-higher 70's, as he is very injury prone, and the lower stamina, the higher chance players have of picking up an injury.

Recommended Players:

Macnelly Torres: Columbian international from Colo Colo, GREAT MLS playmaking attacking midfielder, he doesn't require a Designated Player spot(costs me 92K a year, absolute bargain), a must buy in my opinion.

Chris Brown:30+ year old American striker you can usually sign at the beginning of a campaign on a free(be quick, he gets snapped up if you don't). I've signed him with several MLS sides and abroad(Ukrainian Premier League, Dutch Eredivisie, Russian Premier League, League One, and more) and he usually scores lots and lots of goals(he has 18-19 finishing). You can usually get him very cheap as well(30-40K a year), he's good for a season or two, and can be effective off the bench for a year or two after that.

Finding Your Designated Player:

Designated Players are a crucial part of managing in MLS. Each team can sign one player to a limitless contract(within the clubs overall wage budget), with only a small amount of their salary actually counting towards your limited salary cap. This means you have the ability to sign a star player for your side. Finding the right DP can be tough, and you should be very very careful when it comes to considering a DP, as you only get one!

A great new feature in 2010 is the ability to ask your assman to search for suitable DP's. It's in the squad screen, right hand toolbar in the "assistant advice" dropdown menu. They can find people that you wouldn't pursue if you had scouted them(somethings you scout them after he recommends them and they come up as not being interested. Don't get discouraged, if you can get to offer them a contract, through a transfer, or contract expiration, offer the max you can with a DP, and there's a good chance they'll sign just for the payday.)

Note: I tend to favor playmaking midfielders or mobile advanced strikers when it comes to DP's. You want to get as much bang for this one spot as you can, and a larger/slower forward, relies much more on quality service(which can be hard to find at times within the MLS salary cap).

Recommended Designated Players:

Amr Zaki:as mentioned, he's not very consistent, but can get very hot in streaks.

Tomas Rosicky: Can get him around 29-30, great playmaker

Alfonso Alves: He's a bit of a headcase, similar to Zaki, he can explode and finish a season with 20 goals, but go 3-4 games without scoring in between multiple goal games.

Scouting:

Since you're on a budget in MLS, you have to be very smart about your scouting. I recommend scouting the US lower divisions(USL 1,2 PDL and NPSL sides) you can generally find good squad players for very cheap. Another area to scout heavily is South America(specifically Brazil, Argentina, Columbia), you can find quality players willing to play for less than 60-70K a year. Central America and the carribean are worth scouting as you can find the occasional strong player. I always like to form partnerships with USL 1 and 2 sides, so I can sign very young south americans(sign at 16/17, they can't transfer till age 18), then I loan them to lower division sides till they become strong squad players or gain citizenship(and don't occupy an international slot).

I generally stay away from Europe, except for Eastern Europe and occasionally Germany/Netherlands and Greece/France. The players are generally on much higher salaries in Europe, getting them to come down to something that will fit with you're budget can be tough.

Defenders

As mentioned above, South/Central America are the main regions you're going to be able to find MLS bargains. One thing to keep in mind when scouting these areas for defenders is Height. DO NOT sign shorter defenders to play in MLS, they will get torn to pieces by taller forwards(of which there are many) and on set pieces. You can always tell a slower defender to drop deeper, but it's tough to tell a player to be 4 inches taller :) I would recommend staying above 6 feet, might be able to get away with 5"10 or 5"11 if they have very good agility and jumping stats.

Waivers:

This is a must, in MLS, players are signed with the league, not just clubs. This means you have the opportunity to snap up a player that's been released for the salary they're already on. And conversely, you can release a player without having to pay a fee or compensate them, which makes taking a risk on a player, or signing a short term replacement a much easier task. Many teams will waived decent players when they bring in big name signings, to help balance their salary cap. You also don't have to immediately register players you claim on waivers, so you can always claim a player on waivers, then deal him off to another MLS side with some money or draft picks in exchange for a player you might need.

Using your draft picks:

A lot of people underuse their draft picks in the MLS. You can use draft picks for future seasons to trade for players, I've been able to pick up some promising players by trading away top picks.

Negotiating Transfers:

Another thing to keep in mind when negotiating transfer is to NEVER offer a percentage of a players future transfer fee to the club you're negotiating with. One of the negatives of MLS is the league gets 33% of ALL outgoing transfer fees. So if you combined the mandatory 33%, less a percentage you work into your deal, you could be looking at half of an actual transfer fee.

Managing your budget:

While MLS has a set salary cap, you still have to keep an eye on your management. When you receive a transfer fee for a player, most of that money will go to allocation money, or you transfer fee. Most folks won't realize that they can increase their salary budget with the transfer money. While this won't increase your league salary cap, it will increase your total wage budget, giving you the ability to offer Designated Players(only a several hundred thousand dollars of a DP's contract is reflected on your league salary cap, the rest isn't reflected on your salary cap) higher wages, which will increase you ability to attract a DP.

@valkingcity: Thanks for that, Camara looks like a good tip. Any idea on how to sign another DP?

Alternate DP's

I just signed Rosicky from Arsenal, his contract was expiring in the summer, got him for 2.7 million a year at age 29(second MLS season).

I also have seen Patrick Viera show interest. Van Nistelrooy is also interested when his contract is within 6 months of expiration(so spring 2010).

A great new feature in 2010 is the ability to ask your assman to search for suitable DP's. It's in the squad screens right hand toolbar in the "assistant advice" dropdown menu. They can find people that you wouldn't pursue if you had scouted them(somethings you scout them after he recommends them and they come up as not being interested. Don't get discouraged, if you can get to offer them a contract, through a transfer, or contract expiration, offer the max you can with a DP, and there's a good chance they'll sign just for the payday.)

Valkingcity - That's quite good advice there mate :thup:.

Thanks! I have another one for everyone, in the 2nd MLS season Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando(arguably one of the top 2 or 3 in MLS) usually doesn't get offered a new contract. I've been able to sign him 3 times(in 3 different campaigns) to a 3 year 34,000 a year contract. That is an ABSOLUTE STEAL!!! He's a quality GK, still young at 30 years old, can easily build a team around him.

Thanks for that guys. My main question though is: how do I offer a DP contract? Every time I try the drop down only has 'senior' or similar. What am I doing wrong?

It can be frustrating but I've noticed it seems to only be for players you've scouted and your assistant realizes is of DP quality. It took several contract offer attempts for me to be able to offer Rosicky a DP salary.

It's unlikely they will include them in a update. Louis Saha was also available during the 2010 summer, as his contract with Everton was expiring. I've also played against NYRB after they sign Inzaghi from AC Milan, he was painfully slow but finished every chance he had, could be worthwhile if you're playing a style he can fit into.

Very very interesting indeed, am tempted to try out with TFC, wondering if they can manage to sign players like Van Nistelrooy?...have never played in the MLS before, perhaps will try it out after a couple of seasons in my current game with Gondomar SC.

Thanks Guys...

I've found that when you offer a player to other clubs for a DP spot, there's a problem with the response you get from interested teams. If a team is interested in the player you offer, they never offer the DP spot. In the negotiation screen, either all the options are faded out and can't be selected making it an offer for absolutely nothing and can't be negotiated, or the DP spot is unavailable to add to the deal, even if the team has a DP spot and isn't using it. I can add an International spot, but never the DP. Is this a glitch or is there something else I'm not doing to obtain a second DP spot?

I've found that when you offer a player to other clubs for a DP spot, there's a problem with the response you get from interested teams. If a team is interested in the player you offer, they never offer the DP spot. In the negotiation screen, either all the options are faded out and can't be selected making it an offer for absolutely nothing and can't be negotiated, or the DP spot is unavailable to add to the deal, even if the team has a DP spot and isn't using it. I can add an International spot, but never the DP. Is this a glitch or is there something else I'm not doing to obtain a second DP spot?

I haven't had any success trading for a DP spot. This a big issue that SI needs to fix for next year, you need to be able to offer players to clubs within MLS, like you can outside of MLS. Meaning, you invite their offers, for allocation money/players/draft spots etc... Instead of a just an international spot or DP.

Very very interesting indeed, am tempted to try out with TFC, wondering if they can manage to sign players like Van Nistelrooy?...have never played in the MLS before, perhaps will try it out after a couple of seasons in my current game with Gondomar SC.

Thanks Guys...

I'd strongly recommend giving MLS a try, it's unlike any other league, you have to maximize your resources and be very crafty. And it's definitely possible to snag a player like Van Nistelrooy, highest chance is when contracts are about to expire, as transfer fees can often be too high for an MLS budget.

I used the editor to add the USL First Division, USL Second Division, PDL, and created the Super Y-League with U-20 teams for all the MLS teams and various USL teams. Now, when I start a new game, the game crashes. In the editor, when I click on "Test Nation Rules", it says everything is fine. Anyone know why this is?

I just finished my first season as Toronto And found it very enjoyable. Signed a few older players whilst scouting for youth, I managed to sign James Rodriguez who added some class between Robinson and De guzman (my two tough tackling centre mids). Am about to launch into my second season with a few new youth prospects...Highly recommended.

I used the editor to add the USL First Division, USL Second Division, PDL, and created the Super Y-League with U-20 teams for all the MLS teams and various USL teams. Now, when I start a new game, the game crashes. In the editor, when I click on "Test Nation Rules", it says everything is fine. Anyone know why this is?

Try asking this in the editing section instead of here. you might get more responces ;)

Has anyone been able to acquire international slots or trade FOR draft picks? How to do this simply eludes me...

You can acquire international slots and draft picks but another club must make an offer for your player first. Unfortunately you can't just make an offer to another club for one of their international slots or draft picks. I hope that's clear.

Yeah, I'm trying to work it out just now. Have signed Jose Burciaga, Jr. (who ought to be, like it says on the game bio) well-known to American soccer fans, as cover for Gino Padula (worry about his injury history even though he's lasted 2 full seasons for us IRL). Snapped up Kelly Gray as well (like Burciaga, highly rated IRL as a youth but starts out unattached on the game), will definitely need him given his versatility, like an American Phil Neville.

Signed young Brazilian Marcos Bambam on recommendation from these boards, and also got Tabare Uruguay Viudez (AC Milan paid a huge fee for him IRL) to sign. Having Guillermo Barros Schelotto tutor him right now. I expect fireworks.

Playing a 4-5-1ish tactic, just like IRL. Looking to offload Iro, Moffat, and Renteria (especially him) to bring in some more foreign talent. Still in pre-season. Will keep y'all posted.

Also, given the salary structure, I had lots of room to hire staff, but not necessarily players (just have to get them on the cheap).

So I jettisoned my assman, Crew hero Mike Lapper, in favor of Martin Vasquez. I can't recommend Vasquez highly enough. He's just been hired to replace Preki IRL at Chivas USA, and was Klinsmann's #2 at Bayern during Klinsi's stint. You will not find another American in the game or IRL with such a pedigree. So sign him up! Only cost $250 more per week than Lapper, and I could afford the mutual termination, so it just had to be on.

Then I added Billy Walsh, the former UVa and MetroStar d-mid. Great attributes, realistically can still play, but not at the highest level. Does well (20) with youngsters, good (12) for fitness, and does well across the board. Walsh is a must. Many lower level clubs are still interested in him as a player, but offer a job as a coach and he won't turn it down.

Also added a fitness coach, Cinquetti, from Argentina. He's class. Was worried initially about the language barrier but haven't noticed any problems thus far. Early signs are positive. Good on the Argie.

Want to sign a scout, and there's the obvious Tino Asprilla link, but I've still not made a move in that area. Probably won't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, my initial impressions are that if you have space you should make moves for young foreigners (think Fredy Montero or Juan Carlos Toja IRL) because the facilities are pretty good in America. Of course I have that luxury taking over the MASSIVE Columbus Crew with a settled squad fresh off of doing the double (only happened once before in MLS), going for youth and building for the future and with a few int'l spots to spare. Just need to get some British clubs interested in Iro and Moffat and generate some funds and open up two more int'l spots. Have my eye on an Ivorian center half, Diabis.

I took the Seattle job, and managed to win my conference easily and then won the MLS Final also. Seattle are a tidy side, managed to pick up Holden from Houston who seems to dominate the midfield in MLS, also I picked up Cristaldo from Velez again he is a scoring machine. Enjoying managing in the MLS, I am however going to edit the Eastern Conference and add my favourite American side into the game. The New York Cosmos!

• 4 weeks later...

I have took over Kansas and so far despite a lot of squad personel and tactical problems we are doing decently in the league. By squad problems, well this side has been built with too many hard workers without enough quality. Claudio Lopez is the only real player who has a lot of quality. Thats where the tactical problems come in as I have struggled to get him in the game enough at times with my 4-3-3, and he has suffered from injuries, so when he does I have to try and win through sheer physicality.

I didn't let go any big players, mainly devloping players who were no good enough or senior players who were not good enough. At the start of the season I had two main problem areas. Central defence where we had only one player of starting quality, the brilliant Jimmy Conrad, so in came Ali Bouabe from Lokeren on loan. He is a Morocan who can play at leftback, centreback or in midfield, and he has been outstanding next to Conrad, dominating in the air and sweeping up behind Conrad.

I also needed more numbers in midfield but I was looking for versatility. In came Kelly Gray and Adrian Serioux. Gray can play pretty much anywhere on the right side and the centre of the field, and brings pure height, strength, workrate and speed. He has been solid enough besides a few positional mistakes here and there. I got Serioux in the waivers and he is an interesting player. He can play anywhere in defence as well as midfield, he is a really physical player with a outstanding long throw, but he can also beat a man although that proved a problem in central defence. He hasn't really impressed thus far and has made several mistakes.

Apart from Bouabe, there have been several standouts. Josh Wolff has caused a lot of problems with his speed and scored goals although his first touch at times is woeful. Zoltan Hercegfalvi has proved decent, but only coming of the bench where he has scored goals. He reminds me a bit of Kanu, as his first touch and flicks put a lot of players through, but you only really see them when he doesn't start.

Chance Myers, a young fullback, has impressed with his pure speed and energy up and down the flanks, while Hirsig, Jewsbury and Arnaud have become a strong trident in the centre of the park. Hirsig is the defensive midfielder who mainly sweeps up attacks and rarely gives the ball away. Jewsbury's just runs his socks of winning balls and trying to create attacks. while Arnaud just makes so many dangerous runs from midfield and has scored some lovely goals because of it.

I am currently sitting 1st in the Eastern Conference, and with a couple of smart transfers in the new transfer window, I really think I can push on to the semi finals at least till I meet one of the better sides such as Chicago, Houston or New England, all who I have struggled against.

• 3 weeks later...

I took control over Kansas too. Managed to get some decent players. My starting eleven is now Hartman - Lauren, Conrad, Shilla, Myers - Larentowicz, Nagamura, Novo, Claudio L. - Wolff, Robert.

Only have played a few matches so far. I´m still searching a right formation to play. In my first matches I was outplayed by Colorado and Seattle away and was very very lucky to win them. At home I lost against Toronto and drew with San Jose. I expect to do better from my players but there are many new faces so they need time.

My defence is working very good, particularly the central defenders Conrad and Shilla and also Hartman has had some very good saves so far. Lauren, the veteran RB is doing good gob, but lacks pace. Myers on the left back is young and very promising, he seems to be nervous in the matches even if I tell him that the pressure is off. Hope it will improve as he will get more competitive matches.

My midfield also works quite good defensively. Offensively I have to find ways how to get more accurate balls to my strikers. The brazilian forward Robert whom I have signed on free is a great finisher. But without the right passes is useless. This is now my biggest concern. To play much better offensively but still maintain the strong defence as I always stress the importance of a good defence.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread. Thanks to valkingcity and all the other posters for some great info.

Here are my two cents, having gotten two saves going as SJ Earthquakes and Houston Dynamo....

Leagues: definitely load up Mexico, Brazil and Argentina (and Central America as a regional choice), as that will get you access to some cheap (and willing) talent. Not only will many be "extremely interested" in joining your club, most will only request wages in the $575-900/week range, which is invaluable for the salary cap limitations in MLS (and w/the Quakes and Dynamo, especially). In my Dynamo save I forgot to add Brazil, and that's definitely cut down on the number of interesting (and interested) transfer talents available.

Also load up the English leagues (at least the top one), not just for the playing talent, but the staff: you'll gain access to a lot of unemployed coaches and scouts with ratings far above what you'd find in just the US, that you can bring over to your team. Brazil and the UK seem to have the best coaches and scouts, it seems.

Also w/the UK leagues, by the second and third year you'll have even more high-quality near-retirement veterans available for free as they're put out to pasture: Michael Owen, Mikael Silvestre (alright, maybe he's not high-quality, LOL), etc.

In my Dynamo save I also loaded up the Belgian and Dutch leagues (I thought it would be useful for young, cheap African and Eastern European talent), and also the Czech league, but unfortunately it hasn't really been worth it, so I would just stick with the South and Central American sources, and the UK.

While this may be obvious to FM veterans, another good way to find free players is to use the player search field, and limit the search to "unattached" in the contract field, along w/whatever attributes you'd like your players to have (hi determination, flair, work rate, etc). From there you can scout the most intriguing ones, and find some amazing bargains.

Also, set that contract search for "expiring in six months," and you can 'approach to sign' for free several young, high-quality talents that would normally cost millions in transfer fees. They'll join your club once their contracts expire. I picked up 'tireless midfielders' Andranik (Iran) and Stephen Reid (Ireland) this way, along with high-quality Czech left-back Rudolf Skacel, Columbian striker powerhouse Jackson Martinez, and Peruvian AMC/LW Donny Neyra, who's simply amazing. Working with the MLS's limited transfer budgets, these are great ways to develop a good squad. I would definitely recommend Neyra; he can be approached pretty quickly into the game.

Other good players available for free or cheap at the beginning of the game:

Said Godinez, Mexico, DM: Superb d-mid, only requests wages around $575/week.

Alceu, Brazil, DC/DM and Lucas Silva, AMC/F: Unlike many other Brazilian players, these lads won't start whining immediately about "having difficulty settling into the area;" Lucas Silva starts off a bit slowly, but after a couple of months was leading the league in assists.

Daniel Opare, FB/WB, Real Madrid Reserves: I later found out through other websites that this player's a supposed "wonderkid," but one of my scouts recommended him here. He's actually "extremely interested" in joining an MLS team (yeah right), and is available pretty cheaply. With super high stats in Pace, Stamina, Determination, and Work Rate, and only 18-19 years old at the beginning of the game, he's now worth over $7million supposedly after the beginning of my 3rd year as Quakes manager. Continuing to raid the Spanish reserves, I later picked up 'wonderkid' Marc Muniesa on a free.

In both my saves the excellent Chicago midfielders John Thorrington and Logan Pause were waived after the draft; both are well worth picking up. By the mid-point of the 1st season the Real Salt Lake striker Robbie Findley (now a candidate for the National Team) was also waived, as was LA Galaxy striker Edson Buddle, useless in real life, but oddly well-statted here. During the endless GK-waiving festival that plagues FM2010, keep an eye out for Will Hesmer from Columbus, as he's one of the strongest.

One "cheat" around the game is to sign a few extra free agents than you can actually use, them use them as trade bait w/other teams to get players you're actually interested in before the squad registration deadline.

While the small size of the squads, lack of funds and transfer dealings is a bit frustrating at first (you'll find a lot of your players unsettled and 'wanting to move on to a bigger club', with plenty of foreign clubs interested in them, but hardly any offers will actually come your way), I found the MLS great fun to play, and I've been getting way more enjoyment playing as the Quakes than in my other saves (Arsenal and Sporting Lisboa).

Apologies for the lengthy response, but hope this is useful. If you'd like details on taking the Quakes from last-place finishers to top-of-the-league, beating Mexico's Club America 3-0 at Azteca Stadium-saga, let me know! God knows my wife doesn't want to hear about it, LOL...

good luck!

So I've researched this here on this board and online as well. I didn't post this in the bugs forum because I don't think it's necessarily a bug rather than me just not being able to figure it out.

I need to change when my team goes on holiday. I'm playing a season in MLS and I've qualified for the Club World Championship. The MLS season ends in November, so the team goes on holiday until mid January. However, the Club World Championship plays in December. They will get back from holiday in time for the tournament but they all lack match fitness. Is there a way to change when the team goes on holiday so I can play some friendly's before the CWC starts?

Just starting a MLS save for the first time i have no idea about anything about the MLS as i am a American who loves English Football Premier League lol. My home town team is The revolution but i don't like any home town team's in any sport lol. I am looking either at Kansas City or San Jose because of there media predictions i love a challenge. any ideas to the true MLS fans?

Archived