dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

god damn it, comp crashed and hadnt saved icon_mad.gif

well upside is that i had only moved on by a month and only game i had played was the shield, downside is i am gonna have to scout and find the players that i signed all over again icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsar:

how do you have the green backround in your game btw?

looks like the flex skin to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, is the flex skin.

You will find all the info on skins, face packs, stadium packs etc... etc in this section of the forum.

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Got Southend (Championship) away for FA Cup 3rd round. Which probably means a loss and only a smallish amount of money.

I really need the money too. icon_frown.gif

AFC Wimbledon 3-2 Southend icon_biggrin.gif In front of a disappointing 10k (ground holds 22k).

Made £160 from the gate which is still pretty good.

4th round is fellow League One team Doncaster and a home tie. A good chance to progress icon14.gif

Season Review - Fergus Alexson, Marine - 08/09 - Blue Square North

Having groomed their way through over 80 trialists in the six weeks of pre-season in the hope of finding the proverbial rough diamond, Marine from Crosby, Merseyside, experienced the delights of the Blue Square Northern Section for the first time in their history.

With no budget to speak off, the club carefully selected 26 or so players, keeping tightly within it's budget with whom it felt it could advance and take themselves to the next level.

The board already had lofty ideas of a mid-table finish on such limited resources, and this wasn't helped when the manager decided that looking at his potential squad, promotion was a possibility.

Living dangerously was something the Mariners fans would get to know all too well over the next 10 months...

The season started poorly, two home defeats to Harrogate and Hinkcley back to back, shipping five goals and scoring two, gave Marine a jolt in to the ranks of Football Manager Elite. Already feeling the sting of pride beginning to hurt, they picked themselves up earn draws away at Telford and Worcester, both times having scored early only to be unable to capitalise on their dominance and concede late (75min +) equalisers. Confidence growing from those two results, they went went unbeaten for twelve matches (Drawing five, winning seven), the highlight being a 5-0 demolition of Leigh, away in the FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifier, a match everybody had written them off for.

However, the F.A.Cup Third Round Qualifiers were to be Marine's undoing; losing and inexplicably so, to Malden 1-0. Even though the Mariners were at home, they were thoroughly outplayed and it put them in to a tail spin it took over a month to recover from: in that time losing four straight games, scoring seven and conceding eleven.

Form remained patchy in the run up to christmas, scrabbling draws and the odd win here and there, with the odd loss very likely too, this was compounded by losing in the F.A. Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round, again at home to non-league Redbridge, who, having been totally outclassed for the entire game popped up with a deflected goal from the corner in the 87th minute and sent Marine down and out.

Needless to say, Fergus wasn't in his cups... (Sorry)

The Mariners picked themselves up from that though to give themselves an early Christmas present, a 5 - 2 thrashing of Stalybridge. but again form stuttered throughout the busy Christmas and new year period and Marine found themselves comfortably mired and jostling in and around the top twelve.

The New Year saw little improvement, a weak backline exposed time and again on the counter and only saved by some fine goalkeeping and the firepower upfront with goals coming from the wonderfully named Chris Coward, Stefan Koffi and Mark Laird on loan from Man City chipping in with the midfields' workload.

Going in to Easter, the playoffs still looked a dim possibility, lingering tenth, six points behind Hinckley but a country mile beyond anything else but hindered by a defense prone to lapses of concentration the sketchy form ran it's way through the entire season, the boys from Rossett Park seeming incapable of holding on to a lead or building on one they had established and struggling over the finish line to contemplate what might have been

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/FergusAlex/bsn0809.jpg

Conclusion

A disappointing and dispiriting introduction to LLM where my naivete and inexperience at this level showed. I made some poor player choices, trusting intuition and assistant advise when I should have gone with my gut. It's hard to leave behind the ideas of quality versus naked ability at this level. A striker with finishing of 20 is great, but it's better to have one with strength and pace who can at least beat his man consistently - I was punished a number of times by a number of players whom I'd discarded only to realisetheyw ere exactly what I needed to get me out of this dog-fighting division.

I was too scared of the transfer market and going in for under 18s at big clubs and in the end when I did, it was too late. By then I was patently ignoring the fact that in any given match my back four were sinking faster than the Titanic and getting overwhelmed and I just refused to shore it up - something, which given my extravagent promises at the start of the season SHOULD have gotten me the sack, but I'm clinging on, just, because I beat the media prediction by a good 3 places.

I have a number of good youth players, my full backs look promising as do my strikers but my central defense is woeful and will need rebuilding in the off season. Midfield, might be ok, but a replacement left winger is needed, squad depth was stretched painfully thin when a couple of big injuries rolled in.

In short: a D. Must try harder.

A disappointing and dispiriting introduction to LLM where my naivete and inexperience at this level showed. I made some poor player choices, trusting intuition and assistant advise when I should have gone with my gut. It's hard to leave behind the ideas of quality versus naked ability at this level. A striker with finishing of 20 is great, but it's better to have one with strength and pace who can at least beat his man consistently - I was punished a number of times by a number of players whom I'd discarded only to realisetheyw ere exactly what I needed to get me out of this dog-fighting division.

I've noticed on this version, 10 is good for physical attributes, anything more is a bonus. Players with more than 10 in their important attributes lack too much in most other areas.

Not as easy as previous versions when it comes to good physical players to get out of the league.

Quite simply I think the easiest way to do this is to show how I've done really.

League Table: 2009/10 - 2010/11 - 2011/12 - 2012/13 - 2013/14 (Play-off Final).

Steady progress so far, after a slow start to the challenge with two nothing seasons, we really kicked on and have started to make progress. Essentially relying on my assistant to relay who is a quality signing.

Our cup progress once again started off as rubbish but in the last two seasons we've actually performed respectably. Whilst in the Premier, we managed to get to the semi-final of the FA Trophy, but went out to Stockport County on aggregate. However, we did get our own back by beating them 4-1 in the play-off final.

The last season we got all the way through to the Johnstone Paint Final,, where we played West Bromich Albion. Was pleased just have kept them close all game, but the late finish and surprise win on penalties left me shocked, really expected to get trounced.

Maidstone Information.

Maidstone Comp. History.

Maidstone Records.

Maidstone Finances.

My Profile.

Manager Info.

For some reason, it's not letting me view old match reports from previous seasons, which is rather irritating, which is why I've only included one play-off final and excluded the FA Trohpy semi-final defeat.

At this moment in time I'm rebuilding my team for League One as most of my players were said to be Blue Sq. Premier to League Two standard players, and I scraped through the tail end of last season. I'm hoping to make some decent signings, but managed to annoy a lot of my team by changing their squad status so lets see how that effects my aspirations. In League One I'm hoping for a mid-table finish really. I think the players I have and will sign will be too good to go down, but quite there for promotion to the Championship. It seems funny really, League One is a bit of a nothing league in the grand scheme of this challenge. BSN/BSS is the beginning, BSP is the first promotion, League 2 is professional, League 1 is ?, Championship is one away from the Premier League and the Premiership means the end is in sight. That said, I've not made it this high up in this challenge before, so I'm rather pleased with myself!

If anybody wants more screen shots or information I'll try and get them for you. icon_smile.gif Come on the Stones!

Hitchin Town Season 5 12/13

After 4 seasons promotion is finally achieved from the Blue Square Premier. Spent money for the first time and signed the whole first team up on full time contracts. Glad to say it paid off...

Table http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6387/bluesquarepremierstagesbx8.png

Best Player http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4547/kenrobinsonprofileff4.png

Transfers http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3733/hitchintowntransfershisge9.png

Originally posted by joshpmilton:

Quite simply I think the easiest way to do this is to show how I've done really.

League Table: 2009/10 - 2010/11 - 2011/12 - 2012/13 - 2013/14 (Play-off Final).

Steady progress so far, after a slow start to the challenge with two nothing seasons, we really kicked on and have started to make progress. Essentially relying on my assistant to relay who is a quality signing.

Our cup progress once again started off as rubbish but in the last two seasons we've actually performed respectably. Whilst in the Premier, we managed to get to the semi-final of the FA Trophy, but went out to Stockport County on aggregate. However, we did get our own back by beating them 4-1 in the play-off final.

The last season we got all the way through to the Johnstone Paint Final,, where we played West Bromich Albion. Was pleased just have kept them close all game, but the late finish and surprise win on penalties left me shocked, really expected to get trounced.

Maidstone Information.

Maidstone Comp. History.

Maidstone Records.

Maidstone Finances.

My Profile.

Manager Info.

For some reason, it's not letting me view old match reports from previous seasons, which is rather irritating, which is why I've only included one play-off final and excluded the FA Trohpy semi-final defeat.

At this moment in time I'm rebuilding my team for League One as most of my players were said to be Blue Sq. Premier to League Two standard players, and I scraped through the tail end of last season. I'm hoping to make some decent signings, but managed to annoy a lot of my team by changing their squad status so lets see how that effects my aspirations. In League One I'm hoping for a mid-table finish really. I think the players I have and will sign will be too good to go down, but quite there for promotion to the Championship. It seems funny really, League One is a bit of a nothing league in the grand scheme of this challenge. BSN/BSS is the beginning, BSP is the first promotion, League 2 is professional, League 1 is ?, Championship is one away from the Premier League and the Premiership means the end is in sight. That said, I've not made it this high up in this challenge before, so I'm rather pleased with myself!

If anybody wants more screen shots or information I'll try and get them for you. icon_smile.gif Come on the Stones!

Well done so far.

Looking at your financial page it seems like you've made big money from transfers. Love to see which clubs have been buying your players and if you think it's slowed down your promotions.

Tiverton Town - 14/15 League 1 - Season review

In all my years playing the FM series I have to say this season was probably one of the most exciting seasons. The fans certainly would have enjoyed the first season in our new home for sure.

Only two new arrivals of note this season, however both proved to be very pleasing and excelent business. Fabian Delph and Grzegorz Krychowiak (I am sure the fans had fun singing his name) both were snapped up on free transfers and quickly established themselves in the first team.

Pre season went perfectly, a 4-0 win over Galatasary in the first ever game at our new home set the standard. I so badly wanted to make the place into our own little fortress and for the team to have a record there that would make no team want to come. With that result we set the standard and followed it up with a 4-1 win over Birmingham City.

So into the new season, publicly I gave expectations of another relegation battle while privatly I knew my team was made of stronger stuff and badly wanted us to be threatening the playoff places at least. My high hopes certainly got higher as we started the season with 2-1 wins at home to Oldham and away to Luton, a 1-1 draw away to peterborough and then the best result of my Tivvy career to date a 5-0 demolition in our new home of Premiership Middlesbrough. Defeat came in our second round League cup tie away to Preston 3-1, but that was in between 4 league wins where we scored 14 and conceeded only one, we had hit the top and were looking good.

Our stay at the top however was short lived as we suddenly slumped losing 4 of our next 6 league games and suffering a horiffic injury to Michael Stewart which saw him ruled out for the rest of the season. Luckily for us none of the other teams were able to capatalise on our poor form, Millwall and Doncaster had emerged from the pack as the early pace setters but as it proved over the entire season just as one team looked to be breaking away from the rest they would take a nose dive and allow the others to pass them by.

The new year came and things could not have been tighter at the top 4 teams all on 52 points seperated only by goal difference. Form however was still patchy to say the least and after starting the new year with 3 wins in the league and once more hitting the top we were pegged back once more in a terrible 11 game run that saw us win only 2, taking 10 points from a possible 33. In any normal season that would have been the final nail in our coffin and we would have found ourselves well off the pace but this was proving to be no normal season and remakably we led the table on no fewer than 4 occasions during that run.

So into the home straight we went 7 games remaining sitting in 4th place and still only 4 points away from the top. We ended our bad run with 2 wins and a draw and clawed are way back up to 2nd place reducing the gap down to goal difference. Surely this time we would push on and take the opportunity to secure one of the 2 automatic promotion spots. I believed we had the advantage at this point we had just come out of our bad run while Doncaster in 1st place and Millwall in 3rd seemed to be falling away as we had done so dramatically in previous weeks. With us having on paper what looked like the easier run in and by luck of the draw Doncaster having to travel to Millwall on the final day of the season, I at the very least expected us to hold onto what we had and claim the 2nd promotion place.

The first of our 4 games in the run in came away to Stoke who were currenly lying in mid table. It wasnt long into that match on the monday night that I realised my players legs had gone. We were getting run ragged and just seemed to be tired and second best in every position. The 2-0 defeat doesnt tell the full story I couldnt have complained if we lost 10-0 that day. With goal difference potentially being the deciding factor, in the end it felt like a result. None of the other teams in the hunt capatalised on our mistake and we moved that one step closer still clinging on to 2nd.

If I wasn't thinking my players were spent after the Stoke game, I certainly was in the next game as I watched us go down without a fight to already relegated Accrington. I was sure that was it and still not guaranteed a playoff place our season was threatening to blow up big time. Once more though as I looked over the results by some twist of fate things had once more gone in our favour. None of the top 4 able to win we held onto 2nd and yet again moved that one step closer.

Concerned about the condition of my players in the previous two games and with a week off before the next, I decided to give the entire 1st team squad a 3 day rest in the hope they would recover the energy for that final step we needed to make. It payed off and we looked comfortable for the entire match in a 2-0 win over Bristol City. Doncaster claimed the League 1 title with a game to spare and we went into the final game of the season knowing a win would gurantee us 2nd. With the added advantage of the only team that could now catch us having to face the newly crowned champions things were looking good.

The events of that final day still leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Having taken the lead away to Chesterfield after 6 mins and creating chance after chance, I was a little dissapointed at the break to only have the one goal lead but on learning Millwall were already 2-0 down to Doncaster things seemed to be well on track. Football however is a funny game and in spectacular fashion our lead turned into a 3-1 deficit in the space of 9 second half mins, during which time Millwall had come from behind to draw level in the other game. We managed to pull one back with 25 mins to play but in all fairness never looked like we had it in us to get the result we needed. Millwall however did and they overturned the 2-0 scorline to win 3-2.

Tired, Demoralised and out of form we now had to face the playoffs. Being honest I thought we had lost our chance. I just didnt see how we could pick ourselves up from our poor run. At the same time other teams were heading into the playoffs on a high.

After all the drama of the regular season I was expecting more but in truth the playoffs didnt live up to the hype. A dull 1-1 draw away to Scuthorpe was followed up with a comprehensive 4-0 win infront of a record home crowd. Then 89,205 turned up at webley for the final in which we never looked threatened beating Peterborough 2-0.

Table

Graph

The emergance of Steve King as a prolific goalscorer (44 goals in 48 starts) gives mixed emotions. He makes Anelka look like a saint already falling out with both myself and my Ass man, rejecting contracts to make him the highest payed player at the club and requesting transfers regularly I think it may be for the good of the team to offload him before the new season. Dependant on his mood in pre season I will be considering his future but he really does have the potential to be a class player.

With the new stadium the club made a profit of 1.5M this season and with players to sell in the summer and lots of promise in the youth and reseve teams things are looking good. I have a really exciting young reserve team that I am itching to start to introduce to the first team now. They had an incredable season scoring 186 goals in 38 league games.

I always find league 1 to the championship one of the biggest steps up in class, promises to be a long difficult season but cant wait to get it started. icon14.gif

I can't believe this, but for the first time in years I'm staring at my first relegation dogfight....had to go in and tell the board with utmost confidence that we'd fight for promotion, 29 matches on and we are 3 points away from the cellar and 5th from bottom in the Championship. Hope the board remembers who got them into the championship in consecutive seasons.

Great work on promotion ole (I was trying to think of the best way to shorten your name)

Great read with the story and 89,000 turning up at Wembley for the playoff final is amazing. You must've handed out free tickets or something icon_wink.gif

Steve King unfortunately has to go if he's a bad as you say. You have a lot of great kids there so I'm sure you'll find a more mentally balanced replacement. icon_biggrin.gif

New stadium seems great too. The profit you're making will come in real handy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Got Southend (Championship) away for FA Cup 3rd round. Which probably means a loss and only a smallish amount of money.

AFC Wimbledon 3-2 Southend icon_biggrin.gif In front of a disappointing 10k (ground holds 22k).

4th round is fellow League One team Doncaster and a home tie. A good chance to progress icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4th round vs Doncaster became a 2 leg thriller.

FA Cup 4th Round-Home

FA Cup 4th Round-Replay

Again only a 1/2 full stadium which is disappointing but probably helps me get the result.

Won it through an offside goal which was allowed icon_biggrin.gif It was blatant enough that I even admitted it to the press..lol

Next up, 5th Round, Ipswich away, who are currently leading the Championship, so a very tough match but hopefully they'll put in a weaker side with the focus being on the Championship. icon14.gif

Great work on promotion ole (I was trying to think of the best way to shorten your name)

Great read with the story and 89,000 turning up at Wembley for the playoff final is amazing. You must've handed out free tickets or something icon_wink.gif

Steve King unfortunately has to go if he's a bad as you say. You have a lot of great kids there so I'm sure you'll find a more mentally balanced replacement. icon_biggrin.gif

New stadium seems great too. The profit you're making will come in real handy.

Requested they expand at the end of the season, they said no icon13.gif

Two weeks later they took out another loan and annonced they would be expanding. Not by much but it will take the capacity up to 10156 icon14.gif

Don't know where they get their loans but the 5M stadium loan is going to cost over 9M and the 2.3M expansion loan over 4M icon_confused.gif

Must have been off some shady back street loan shark, hopefully I wont get my legs broken if I get relegated and cant keep up the payments

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

4th round is fellow League One team Doncaster and a home tie. A good chance to progress icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4th round vs Doncaster became a 2 leg thriller.

FA Cup 4th Round-Home

FA Cup 4th Round-Replay

Again only a 1/2 full stadium which is disappointing but probably helps me get the result.

Won it through an offside goal which was allowed icon_biggrin.gif It was blatant enough that I even admitted it to the press..lol

Next up, 5th Round, Ipswich away, who are currently leading the Championship, so a very tough match but hopefully they'll put in a weaker side with the focus being on the Championship. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with that, I have done well against championship teams. They seem to take it for granted and field weakened teams. Maybe a TV game also if your lucky.

No TV but who cares icon_biggrin.gif

FA Cup 5th Round

Considering he's missed his last 3 penalties and I forgot to take him off the penalty taker list, I'm pretty pleased and lucky icon14.gif

£120k prizemoney and about £200k gate.

Choo-choo....all aboard icon_biggrin.gif

6th round: Home vs Aston Villa.

They beat me 6-0 last time we played them (3rd rd fa cup couple of years ago)...time for revenge.

Only non PRM/CH side left so very pleased with the team. icon14.gif

FA Cup 5th Round

Considering he's missed his last 3 penalties and I forgot to take him off the penalty taker list, I'm pretty pleased and lucky icon14.gif

They beat me 6-0 last time we played them (3rd rd fa cup couple of years ago)...time for revenge.

Only non PRM/CH side left so very pleased with the team. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've also getting TV coverage for the game, which will make up for the lesser gate of being at home. Will also be the team's 1st game on TV in 2 years, so hopefully they don't go all deer in headlights on me.

AFC Wimbledon - 2020/2021

Ok, here's a round up of my past few seasons. Other screenshots on request.

League One - 4th

Championship - 19th***

Championship - 8th

Championship - 5th

Premiership - 16th

Premiership - 6th

*** I read on the SI Forums that as the game slows down as the years advance that you can speed it up by deleting 'temp' files. Unfortunately I was stupid enough to delete these files whilst the game was running, which has caused some errors in player historys and some old league tables are no longer available icon_frown.gif here are some of the player history errors:

error 1

error 2

error 3

Anyway, we're currently doing really well in the Premiership, beating some good sides along the way to qualifying for the UEFA Cup, however we've still came nowhere near winning any cups whatsoever! I've managed to capture some players of amazing quality, i'm trying to fend off bids for these players whilst trying to bring in more of similar quality. I found the easiest way to do this was to just bombard the newly relegated sides with bids for their better players.

Savaete

Sterling

Sanchez

Lefevre

Originally posted by Mark Heath:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by José Pandinho:

Premiership - 6th

What happened to Liverpool? Only 9 points! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stevie G retierd as he couldn't carry them anymore icon14.gif

Originally posted by Mark Heath:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by José Pandinho:

Premiership - 6th

What happened to Liverpool? Only 9 points! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea, it was quite strange really as alot of their players were still pretty good. That was the 2nd time they've been relegated since my game started. They are currently top of the Championship though after 14 games and look set to return to the Prem.

Found out that autosave doesnt do them as seperate files this year. Shame it was with 6 games to go of the season whilst I was second.

Had to start again, but I was able to resign the majority of my previous squad, apart from a winger and a striker who were newgens, and a left winger who decided to join another side. I tried to sign Toni Ameobi who had lit up the league last year with Boston scoring 40 goals, but he went to a league 2 side. I did however manage to sign Luke Boden after his contract was terminated at Wednesday.

Im currently top of the league with a simalar points to what I had last year, but Boston have dropped alot more without Ameobi. Boden has scored 10 goals and has got 25 assisst, and his height and strength make him a great target man at this level. My other 3 strikers have socred 40 between them.

wow.. congrats. how large is your stadium? can i see a screenshot of your information sheet and your best 11?

must've felt great..

Originally posted by freelinet:

FINALLY!!!!

Chippenham are the 2030/2031 Premiership champions.

Me winning the premiership was like waiting for a bus, Previously all I had won was the UEFA cup (quite an achievement in itself!) and suddenly all in 1 season I won:

F.A Cup

Carling Cup

Community Shield

Premiership

2030/2031 Premiership table, note Chelsea!

The Boys that done me proud!

I still can't win the Champions League though, for the last 2 years I have gone out against Porto who have gone on to be winners and runners-up in those 2 seasons. icon_confused.gif

Chippenhams stadium is now a healthy 46137 all seater with undersoil heating.

I just want to add that I'm going to continue this challenge until I win the Champions League! icon14.gif

Sorry it's so long but I really enjoyed the ups and BIG downs of the season so I wanted to shame them all with you...

Season Review - Fergus Alexson, Marine - 09/10 - Blue Square North

Season 2 started off brightly for Alexson and the boys from Rossett Park, a quick trip to Ikea had seen him bring in a new back four with a little bit of pace and bite to it, add a little steel and width to midfield and bring back two loanees from last season in the form of Richard Martin from Man City and Scott Spencer from Everton. Spencer spent the final three months of last season on loan with Marine scoring seven in ten, and although he got injured with a couple of weeks left in the campaign, he was deemed too good to give up on.

A 3-0 opening day win against King's Lynn prompted the team to go on an unbeaten nine game spree, a loss and then another five straight convincing wins pushed them up to third and a good run of form saw them sitting pretty on at the start of the New Year in second with, three points behind leaders Burton and having conceded only 14 goals.

December 1st 2009, however, is a date that will long go down in Mariners history: it was the day they actually started playing football.

Away to King's Lynn in the Setanta Shield, Alexson got bolder, urging his team to shrug off the quick direct countering that had served them so well but to use the width of the pitch playing slower, shorter passes to unlock teams.

Three - nil with goals from Barrau, Coward and Spencer said it was a million to one shot but it might just work..

A four - nil thrashing of Leigh at home followed: Webster, Coward (2) and Robson netting pushed them deeper in to the mire of relegation confirmed it and gave Alexson an extra hint of glee. The auld enemy had now been whipped, not once, but four times in the space of eighteen months.

But then disaster!

A freak training ground accident sidelined Spencer for five weeks and the team struggled for form and consistency. Goals were in short supply, Koffi and McKernan proving poor substitues for Spencer leaving Coward to carry most of the burden on his own.

This is why I missed him - his comeback game, on as a HT sub:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/FergusAlex/spencer_returns.jpg

The team stumbled and faltered, choking their way through the dark,awkward winter months, confidence shot, even on Spencer's return and aided by the permanent addition of Liverpool's Michael Scott, the team floundered gleaning only twenty-nine points from their last twenty matches and Burton romped away in to the distance some satisfaction gained when Marine inflicted only their third defeat of the season at Burton. Scott Spencer atoning for an earlier penalty miss late in the game to give the Crosby boys some pride.

Even with a good defence they were prey for teams playing on the counter and had no sting of their own with which to reply. Second become third, become fourth became fifth became the last day of the season.

Four teams were fighting for the last three spots, Hucknall in third with 71 points, Marine, in fourth on 71 points then Worksop, 71, and Farsley on 70. Anything other than a win in their final game, given Farsley and Hucknall were playing two teams already down would see Marine miss out altogether.

Winning would also mean dodging the bullet of Nuneaton who had beaten them comfortably 4 - 2 only a couple of weeks previously until the semi-final.

One more game.

Away.

At Leigh.

At Leigh who were in the third relegation place and needed a win to stay up. Alexson smelt irony at work.

Marine took charge early on although failed to find their way past an inspired keeper but in the twenth-eight minute, with both Farsley and Woking winning the game came to life, Deering cutting in from the right wing and putting Spencer through who finished with aplomb, firing high in to the top left hand corner past a stranded keeper.

As the game the game opened up, both sides realised a win was imperative and started to push men forward. With just over an hour on the clock Alexson realised it was make or break time. To sit back and invite an equaliser was too risky, the team had to push on, so he told his subs to sit down and stretched the play, pushing wider. The response was almost instantaneous; niggling play in the far corner of Marine's area was broken up by Joseph Oastler the defensive midfielder, nipping the ball off the toes of a sulky winger he span and strode forward launching a long ball down the flank to Michael Scott. Scott timed his run perfectly: one touch, two and fired in to the bottom corner of the near post.

Job done.

With Worksop winning and Hucknall being stomped by runaway chapions Burton. Marine jumped up to third, safe in the knowledge that Nuneaton would have to weight if either of them made it there in the gauntlet of the playoffs.

Playoff Semi Final First Leg

Marine vs. Woking

Under growling, grizzling and weeping skies both sides started very cagily with flat 4-4-2's as they tested each other out. Marine got an early break though, Barrau bundled over in the box at a corner. The captain stood up, dusted himself down and marched the ball to the spot before promptly taking probably the worst penalty I have ever seen Someone had forgotten to tell him he was not in off-season yet, so why he seemed to take a penalty with a sand wedge I have no idea. It went up, it came down about three yards wide of the left hand post.

Should have taken a mulligan.

Not to be deterred it was Marine who pushed on, breaking the stranglehold when Spencer pounced on a rebound from a blistering Scott shot just before half time.

Coming back out from half time, both teams had kept the same blunted formations and again Marine took the fight to Worksop. Barrau again bundled down in the box this time passed the honour to his left back, Michael Burns who found the corner without hesitation from twelve yards.

Worksop came back, spurred on and trying to find a precious away goal but couldn't find a way through a resolute Marine defence, only to be killed off in the 88th minute when the Marine right winger, Deeing, played Chris Coward in and from the angle he found the opposite corner with his man and the keeper well and truly beaten. Three - Nil to Marine.

Playoff Semi Final Second Leg

Woking (0) vs Marine (3)

Woking continued where they left off, a very aggressive 4-4-2 that left the Mariners with no choice but to go on the counter, soaking up the long balls and then returning them with interest. The game was deadlocked, each team fashioning openings only for them to be rebuffed until the stroke of half time Worksop's Jake Hyde gave them a glimmer of hope profiting when Ellis misjudged a long ball and it fell straight in to his path,

Two goals right after half time settled it though, with play barely restarted a minute, Spencer latched on to a hopeful long ball from Derring to guide it deftly home and straight from the restart, Worksop earned a corner, Mohammed Dikuiza nipping in at the back post.

For all their fight, the game seemed to fizzle out of Worksop, the away goal had well and truly killed them off. Marine sat back, knocking around square balls and played out time; they had better things to do, they were off to Wem...

Oh wait.

Halifax.

Playoff Final The Shay, (Halifax)

Marine vs Nuneaton Borough

Nobody gave Marine a hope in hell. Nuneaton had beaten off Hucknall 7 - 1 on aggregate in their semi-final. A forward line that had shifted 66 goals between the four of them, one less than the whole Marine team had managed over the course of the season made them look unbeatable. Add to that a comprehensive whipping of Alexson's men back in March, 4-2, well, the bookies stopped taking bets the moment the final whistle sounded in the semi's.

By the look of it from their formation, Nuneaton wanted this over and done with ASAP so they could get on with chugging champagne, Alexson realised there was no way he could hold that irresistable strike force back so they only way to face them was to go on the attack, he pushed his wingers out wide just in front of their back four and hoped for the best.

Nuneaton made most of the early running, forcing a couple of long range saves from Martin but the game got bogged down in midfield pretty quickly. Marine's short passing triangles were pretty and effective, fashioning one or two early chances for the Marine strikers but it was route one that was to prove first blood, Martin punting up the field from a wasted Nuneaton goalkick, Scott smuggled the ball past his man, raced in to the area and fired low in to the bottom corner with the keeper stranded.

Shock, absolute shock but you should never kick a tigers tail.

Nuneaton pushed on, forcing Marine ever deeper as they went long and wide, pressure told: two goals in two minutes right on half time from Donovan Simmonds, both counter-attacking poachers efforts from rebounds left the Mariners stunned.

2 - 1 down and 45 minutes of bombardment to go: Not good.

Alexson refused to buckle though, he reigned in his wide men but told them to push up whenever Marine had possession to keep the Nuneaton full backs penned in.

Nuneaton came on, and on, and on, and on but couldn't find a way past a solid back four and Martin having the game of his life in goal. Marine were countering attacking, but their shooting was wasteful, both strikers looking tired and weary against a stone wall Nuneaton defence.

Scott was replaced with Coward and the captain, winger, Barrau made way for younger fresher legs.

Two minutes later, still soaking up their attacks, it was completely against the run of play when a long ball from the back slipped between the Nuneaton centrebacks, Coward pounced on it with predatorial greed and slammed it home his first touch bringing his team back in to it. The crowd (and the manager who had refused to look!) went nuts. Dead but not buried!

The game slipped in to extra time, each side fashioning half chances, Martin in imperious form in the Marine goal thwarting every effort and Arnold doing the same, each clawing out headers bound for the bottom corner before Coward clipped a post from close range.

Penalties it was...

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/FergusAlex/penalties.jpg

Final League Table

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/FergusAlex/bsn0910.jpg

Scott Spencer

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/FergusAlex/spencer.jpg

FA Cup 5th Round

Only non PRM/CH side left so very pleased with the team. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've also getting TV coverage for the game, which will make up for the lesser gate of being at home. Will also be the team's 1st game on TV in 2 years, so hopefully they don't go all deer in headlights on me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

AFC Wimbledon vs Aston Villa

Match Stats

What a performance!! They held on for dear life for most of the 90mins.

£300k prizemoney too icon_biggrin.gif Oh and a fully green match confidence bar.

New highest attendance (4495) 1 more than the previous..lol, where were the missing 5 people? Highest gate of £90k too, although Villa get half.

It's the semi-final....and it's Arsenal away icon_biggrin.gif

Mixed emotions actually. They're my parent club so 3 of my players won't be able to play. Other semi is Nottm Forest vs Swansea/Newcastle so I def got the tougher, richer match-up.

Me so stupid not realising semi-final is Neutral venue. Wembley to be precise. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll finally be able to expand my stadium or improve my training facilities.

Damn impressive run, straigtened out your financial problems I am sure.

The league still going well?

My Tivvy team is a disaster now, I am in big trouble. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

Me so stupid not realising semi-final is Neutral venue. Wembley to be precise. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll finally be able to expand my stadium or improve my training facilities.

My Tivvy team is a disaster now, I am in big trouble. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame, I'm sure you'll turn it around though. League is going fine. 11th currently and been 8th-11th for 30 games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

My Tivvy team is a disaster now, I am in big trouble. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame, I'm sure you'll turn it around though. League is going fine. 11th currently and been 8th-11th for 30 games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just finished my first season in the championship, will post my report a little later.

We survived, had to play the most dull unatractive football you will ever see to manage it though.

My 4 best players who basically kept me up on their own all want to leave and have days left on their contracts.

we lost 1M this year and the board to my shock just announced they have taken out yet another loan to expand the stadium this time taking it to 17,000.

Should be pleased but the two expansions have cost more than the stadium did to begin with. Now I am paying 170K a month on loans.

Just to make it worse this expansion will take almost the full season (8 months) and my capacity will be at 8000 till its done.

Sounds like a pretty bad season all round. Well done on survival though, hopefully you can turn around the finances soon.

Was the stadium filling each week?

We had a redused capacity the first 4 months which didn't help. After it was finished we were getting 10,000 every game so pretty much a full house.

I am just working out which way to go with the team now, don't want to have another season playing that awful football again.

Plan A

Bring in a load of ageing Premiership players released and available for nothing. Hopefully they would have one good season in them and we could just go for it. Promotion would mean I had the budget to bring in a few key players then to mix in with the youth I have coming through.

Plan B

Sell them!!! Sell them all..... get rid of my current 1st team squad and promote my entire youth team now. The reduced wage bill would see me making a fortune each season. If we could survive in the Championship a couple of years I would know which players have what it takes and have the money to replace the ones who don't.

Either way its the end of the line for quite a few of my current 1st team though.

It's the semi-final....and it's Arsenal away icon_biggrin.gif

Mixed emotions actually. They're my parent club so 3 of my players won't be able to play. Other semi is Nottm Forest vs Swansea/Newcastle so I def got the tougher, richer match-up.

Arsenal v AFC Wimbldeon FA Cup Semi-final

Match Stats

The dream run was finally ended by an Arsenal team with too much class, although only Adebayor really looked like scoring all game.

Very proud of the efforts of all the players. We were missing much of the first team squad through injuries and a few ineligible, so was pleased with them.

The fans were "very disappointed" which is stupid really.

On a more positive note, we made £1.6m from the gate icon_eek.gif and I'm off to pester the board icon_biggrin.gif

Archived