dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by Seasoned Alcoholic:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by José Pandinho:

Just a quick update!

Managed to get my AFC Wimbledon side promoted to the BSP at the first attempt. A 4th placed finish followed up by a 3-1 playoff final win is what got us there.

Enjoying this icon_smile.gif

Congratulations to win promotion in your first season, I bet the board and the fans are already worshiping you, the personal statue outside the ground may be just around the corner icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by José Pandinho:

AFC Wimbledon - 09/10 - Season 2

Not the best season, although I still think we did well, i'm getting used to LLM now and identifying good players. Spurs shipped down a load of quality players including my goal-a-game striker Simon Dawkins.

Anyway we managed to finish 12th, im currently halfway through my 3rd season whilst writing this and we're making a promotion push after losing alot of dead wood and brining in new youngsters. Here are some screenshots.

League

ProgressSquadTransfers

A midtable finish in the Conference National in your debut season is no lack of achievement. Tbh, in a Blyth Spartans game in FM07, I spent the longest period of time in the Conf Nat, struggling against relegation for long periods of time. It is a fairly large step-up from the Conf North / South, but there are some quality teams in there that are desperate to either get back into or make their debuts in league football.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in february 2023, placed 13th in the EPL with Merthyr thydfil. I have promoted every 2-3 years from BSS,

but I haven't won any league (I lost championship in last match: I only needed a draw but lost 1-2 to a medium placed team icon_frown.gif),

and only one title, the premier welsh cup, 2-1 to cardiff at extra time (I lost that final the year before and two years later).

Since I'm only playing with welsh players, I'm quite stuck at the bottom of EPL, but I have recovered an important player that

my chairman sold 3 years ago and signed a couple of good players.

I have won ManU once in 2 and a half seasons (an impressive 6-1), but they are quite bad, around 10-14th always. All other matches

against current top 4 teams ended in losses for me icon_razz.gif

I am currently playing a game with AFC Wimbledon and i'm in my first season. The only problem is that it seems to be taking ages to play. The database i'm using is large but I think I should start the game again and change the database to medium. Is there much difference between Large and Medium databases with the speed of the game? And is there much difference between the palyers that I can buy in the game

Originally posted by kyle_11:

I am currently playing a game with AFC Wimbledon and i'm in my first season. The only problem is that it seems to be taking ages to play. The database i'm using is large but I think I should start the game again and change the database to medium. Is there much difference between Large and Medium databases with the speed of the game? And is there much difference between the palyers that I can buy in the game

At lower league level, I've always believed that you need as many available players (typically free transfers when you start out due to lack of finances) as possible, so therefore a large database would provide this advantage over say a medium sized alternative. I've done this in past versions even when my hardware was seriously outdated - had a slight rebuild recently which has definitely speeded things up icon14.gif

Think about other settings you can switch off / modify to speed up your game time, here are some examples:-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Change match engine highlights to key or only commentary;

<LI>Increase match engine game speed (move slider all the way to the right);

<LI>Only make media / player interaction etc responses when they are necessary (IE, the optional yellow responses, not the mandatory red responses);

<LI>When viewing player searches (with filters activated, EG position), rank players descending by your scouts recommendation;

<LI>In the preferences menu, increase processing speed to fastest - can't interrupt;

<LI>Modify game detail levels so that the only league you are playing in is set to full detail - basically turn all other detail levels to none;

<LI>Consume less alcohol whilst playing FM (sorry, had to squeeze that one in) icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

Remember though that some areas of FM will take ages regardless, EG building new tactics / training from scratch, conducting an in-depth staff search, assessing player form / stats, attaining ad-hoc coach / physio reports and so on.

AFC Wimbledon - Season 3 + 4 - 10/11 + 11/12

Hello one and all! managed to finish season 3 last night, at about 2am whilst watching Black Hawk Down on UKGOLD icon_biggrin.gif. As it was late, I thought i'd leave the season update till today but i managed to push on and get season 4 done aswell.

Season 3

went really well for us, we battled to a 5th place finish in the league and ended up getting promoted to League 3 via two heartwrenching playoff games. Which ended up with a 7-5 aggregate win over Rochdale, and a 81st minute playoff final winner over Rushton.

Season 4

Was really pleased with this season, managing to finish a solid midtable and we turned professional (yay) I brought in alot of free players and chopped alot of dead wood, as per. Also a couple of players came in for actual price tags. Our first ever proper signing was Ben Hutchinson from Middlesborough for 20k (I dont count young keeper James Douglas signed for 22k in season 3 as that was an accident, I thought I was getting him out of contract and didnt realise id have to pay compensation icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif) once again I was really pleased with the performance in League 2, which again was helped alot by Spurs loaning us 3 or 4 key players.

One low point for me was our star striker Simon Dawkins who had been on loan from Spurs for the last 2 seasons, had been released by them when his contract was up, and he won't negotiate terms with me despite being without a club icon_frown.gif. He's the club all time top scorer averaging just shy of a goal every game.

Now, here are some screenshots for you all to enjoy icon_smile.gif:

Season 3

League

Transfers

Playoff Semi

Playoff Final

Season 4

Squad

Progress

League Table

Here are a few of the key players in the side:

Whitley

Hutchinson

Douglas

These two were instrumental in season 3, unfortunately Dawkins won't move to me now, and Fleck wont even come back on loan icon_biggrin.gif

The legend, Dawkins

Fleck

I don't understand! I get promoted to the Premiership, and after 10 games are sitting 14th, with a very very weak squad. Yet my board and fans are on my back, saying i should be performing slightly better in my role!?

Has this happened to anyone else in the Premiership?

Chelseadaft Season 2 09/10 Conference National

Oh well the dream was short and sweet, and we have become the Yo-Yo's !! Straight back down again. Struggled to get my tactics right, but surprisingly enough they worked in the Setanta Shield, I managed to get to the final but lost, but the 22000 crowd at Wembley helped to swell my coffers!!

So back to square one. Screenies below

Transfers

Table

SS Final

Squad

Finances

But after relegation, they gave me a new one!!

Also you will notice, i was offered Juan Ugarte for nothing and he signed which i am pleased about, i plan to unleash him on the BSS this coming season!

Halesowen Town 08/09

Right, finally sorted out transfers, and have brought a few in on long-term loans until the end of the season.

Transfers

The squad depth is there IMO, no real lack of cover in any position tbh. The loan players are all talented kids from the youth teams of Premier and Championship sides.

As I've had a clearout of the playing staff, I've managed to cut back the reasonably high salaries that were in place.

Salaries after taking control

Salaries after completing transfers

All has been going OK so far, even though we haven't played a competitive game in the league yet (just about to start...). However, there could be a potential problem as to my current game, as illustrated below:

Potential takeover

Apparently a fans' group is thinking of buying out the chairman, who is willing to listen to offers. I really hope this doesn't screw my game over as I've spent a fair bit of time setting up with Halesowen icon_frown.gif

Tiverton Town - 10/11 BSP - Season review

A good solid start to the season with 9 straight wins saw Tivvy rise to the top of the table early on. From that point we never really looked troubled. As mentioned pre season promotion had to happen this year with the high wage bill and standard of players brought in, failure would have probably been the end of the line.

Star man for the second season running was again Hotchkiss. Early season form which saw him scoring at a rate over a goal a game for the first 15 matches was ended by injury. On return he didn't look quite as sharp but was still impressive despite mt Ass. man claiming him to be the 2nd worst player in my first team. Another of the new faces Gill was solid and consistant the whole season at the back, chipping in with 6 goals as well. Not the fastest around but he suits our style of play well. We do concede at about a goal a game but more down to tactics than defensive errors.

Another pre season aim was a decent run in all the 3 cups. The less said the better. After needing a replay to make the 1st round of the FA cup that was as far as we got. Going out in all cup competions at the first stage was not the ideal way to solve our financial situation.

Table

Graph

There will be no major additions to the Squad in the summer finances will need to be tightened but there will be the usual search for the new young talent.

The most pleasing part of the season has to be the ability being shown in some of the youth team. With that and the fact the entire team is all 21 or younger we do have a bright future.

Stand out youth players

Clark

Edwards

Harvey

Chambers

So survival will be the aim for next season allthough I have confidence it will not be a struggle. The squad size will be reduced, we currently have 72 players through the 3 squads. I think a top half finish will be a fair expectation in our first season in League 2.

AFC Wimbledon 11/12 League Two Update

Only 10 games in...I did say I was a slow player..lol, but 1 loanee in particular from Arsenal looks set to break all records.

Sunu

Arsenal offered him the chance to play here when we formed an affiliation. He said no, but the scout report I had done at the same time said he would, so I re-offered him a loan chance (with ability to play cups icon_wink.gif) and he said yes, maybe due to the others already being there.

My best scout, who is also the harshest rater of players says he would be a good Premier League player icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

How annoying!!You asked for it.

Get the feeling he isnt going to stop?

nope. I had the same experience with a midfielder. I asked for a coach report and based on that kicked him out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I noticed it was in the bugs forum already. I wasnt about to take him off because you just know with him being in the reserves he would have been asking again before long. Solved the problem by sending him off on loan to a feeder club then getting rid at the end of the season.

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Only 10 games in...I did say I was a slow player..lol, but 1 loanee in particular from Arsenal looks set to break all records.

Sunu

Arsenal offered him the chance to play here when we formed an affiliation. He said no, but the scout report I had done at the same time said he would, so I re-offered him a loan chance (with ability to play cups icon_wink.gif) and he said yes, maybe due to the others already being there.

My best scout, who is also the harshest rater of players says he would be a good Premier League player icon_eek.gif

Should be banging in the goals for you in l" with those stats.

I saw others on here mentioning they broke off agrrements with parent clubs and requested new ones so I figured I would try. Cancelled the one with Plymouth and requested a new one only to be told the board didnt think it would be a good idea at this time. Leaving me with nothing icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Sunu

I saw others on here mentioning they broke off agrrements with parent clubs and requested new ones so I figured I would try. Cancelled the one with Plymouth and requested a new one only to be told the board didnt think it would be a good idea at this time. Leaving me with nothing icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well a couple of thing made my decision easier.

1. As a london based club there would be a number of good clubs around to go to.

2. My curent parent club, Crystal Palace, really had no-one to loan good enough.

Given Tiverton's location, there aren't that many local options so it's harder to find a new or better option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Sunu

I saw others on here mentioning they broke off agrrements with parent clubs and requested new ones so I figured I would try. Cancelled the one with Plymouth and requested a new one only to be told the board didnt think it would be a good idea at this time. Leaving me with nothing icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well a couple of thing made my decision easier.

1. As a london based club there would be a number of good clubs around to go to.

2. My curent parent club, Crystal Palace, really had no-one to loan good enough.

Given Tiverton's location, there aren't that many local options so it's harder to find a new or better option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't remember exactly what they said but they were not even willing to look. Just said they didn't feel it would be of any benifit to the club or some nonesense like that.

Could possibly be me pushing my luck with other requests every other month too though. I will give it another go later in the season when the option reappears. Luckily I have a squad capable of competing to a certain level with loanee's anyway (or so I hope)

AFC Wimbledon - Season 5 - 13/14

A great season for us this year, we fought hard and managed to finish 3rd in the league and gain automatic promotion! Although I was delighted with this, I actually didn't want to be promoted this term as I don't feel the squad is equipped to cope in League 1. We're still lacking a figurehead striker who scores consistently.

For the first time I decided to loosen the purse strings and buy some quality players this year. Spending 54k on 3 players. I've been given a great boost by the fact my new assitant manager with JA 18, and JP 20 thinks my goalkeeper would be a good signing for any Premiership side! This is the keeper I picked up from the free transfer pile in the first season who is also now first choice for Northern Ireland.

Here are a few screenshots:

Squad

League

Progress

Transfers

Firstly, well done Jose.

Now....I know it's wrong and it'll never last (more than this season)....but... I think i'm in love with my striker icon_razz.gif

Here's his latest game:

AFC Wimbledon vs Gillingham

Our last goal was the guy I brought on for him so he could've had another icon_wink.gif

Ha thanks icon_smile.gif

He certainly looks a quality player! I did the same and fell in love with my super striker that spurs sent on loan, now he wont return my calls icon_frown.gif

btw just searched, on my game Sunu is playing for Brentford in the Championship with 5 goals in his last 6 games! Going to scout him now, see what my chances are ha icon_biggrin.gif

I actually originally thought he was a new-gen but checking his history he should be in every game. Just a little shocked I was able to get him. Given he'll be older in your game, I don't like your chances..lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by José Pandinho:

Sunu icon_cool.gif

Hahahahahahaha, how different are his stats in your game and how did you scout rate him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My scouts recon he's better than my strongest striker and should be signed whatever the price. Pretty happy with the deal really, just wish I could get him now instead of July. icon_biggrin.gif

Sunu profile

Sunu history

He still looks a really good player, he doesn't seem to have hit the heights on my game which he reached on yours.

Just looking, the main difference, apart from natural fitness, is that in my game he is a much much better dribbler and in your game he is better at set pieces.

Also, remember I'm in League Two and AI teams tend not to play loan players as often as they should.

Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

Sunu

you should count yourself lucky having a parent club at all. During my first season with Chippenham in BSS my board said it was pointless. Got promoted straight away to BSP but still the board didnt think it was useful. So 2 seasons in now, and still no parent club. Sucks when loans really can make a difference.

Originally posted by Bluenose_92:

does anyone know if Witton ever come up for the challenge, I've tried 3 times and every time haven't had Witton

Certainly do. Witton came up on most of my reloads. They've a fairly high rep so they turn up a lot I think.

I don't think that there's a save uploaded for them specifically as they turn up lots

Originally posted by Peljam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bluenose_92:

does anyone know if Witton ever come up for the challenge, I've tried 3 times and every time haven't had Witton

Certainly do. Witton came up on most of my reloads. They've a fairly high rep so they turn up a lot I think.

I don't think that there's a save uploaded for them specifically as they turn up lots </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh right, I'll just have to try again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peljam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bluenose_92:

I don't think that there's a save uploaded for them specifically as they turn up lots </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh right, I'll just have to try again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the saves on the website for one of the other teams might contain Witton as well, as one of the other promoted teams. Might be worth a quick download and check of them icon_smile.gif

Hitchin Town 08/09 end of season update

A very successful first season in the Blue Square South. Finished first and picked up manager of the year as well as Josh Wright winning player of the year. Amazing that he beat Illugason even though he got 58 goals in the league.

Next season might well be harder without Kyel Reid who is now wanted by Newcastle and wouldn't come back on loan. Still have the 5 other West Ham young guns though.

Witton Albion - L1 - 15/16 - Rodrigo De La Vega

A good season all told. Very good indeed.

There were some key ins and outs. We brought in Daniel Leadbetter, young Saulius Adomaitis and in January Daniel Sanchez Ayala to shore up defence. Defence is still a bit leaky but it improved vastly (though we did concede a couple more goals than last season the defence as a whole was better).

There only two additions in midfield really. Young Laurent Blanchet and older Etienne Esajas. Both on the left wing. Laurent shows some promise and might take over from Evina one day but he's a stroppy git. Etienne was meant to be cover and doesn't really have a future at the club. A bit of a poor buy there.

The real revolution came up front. I brought in two new strikers to supplement the ever awesome Anson..

One was Serge Braun , a promising Luxembourg striker and Darryl Knight.

Both did really well. Serge plays well with Anson and when on form was a constant thorn in the side of defences. At one point in the season he scored two hat tricks over two matches. Knights gave Anson a run for his money and his extra bit of experience seemed to help matters.

Anyways...the season...we were fairly consistant compared to last years showing. Not once dropping out of the top ten. Towards the end of the season we snuck into the play offs, dropped out and then snuck back in a gain with a few games to go.

Another event I should add was the board upgrading the training facillities. Now they were fairly basic, rather than just plain old basic.

We had poor showings in the JPT and League cup but stuck out till the 3rd round of the FA cup where Man United knocked us out away from home.

Anyways, the semi of the play offs were against Carlilse.

Leg 1

Leg 2

The home leg saw us almost fill the stadium icon_smile.gif Only 8 seats were free.

We met Walsall in the final.

Final

It was a bit of a strain but we made it. The injuries had me planning for another season in L1...but Championship here we come.

Table

Graph

The board and fans are very happy. Though for some reason despite promotion they're still holding the poor JPT performance against me icon_frown.gif

Not sure what to do for next season. I think we can just survive it and I'm loathe to add to many players. I might get a few on loan so we have cover but thats about it.

And one more key event this season icon_smile.gif Our bank balance topped 1 mil for the first time. It reached there around mid season and has stayed above it (1.2 - 1.8) since.

Sorry for the double post but...just got the fans player of the year announcement...

Steve Anson has won it three times in a row!

here

4 in total.

Looking at the past winners too...only one of them, Awang, isn't/wasn't a striker. I detect a theme.

MikaelS - Season 09/10 - Chippenham in Blue Square Premier

Well I thought it was going to be a tough challenge. The team looked okay, but I could really do with some reinforcements. So I went on a free player hunt. I found alot and some really gems. Already in the beginning it looked to be a good season. I won some tough matches quite easily and I thought this was perhaps a season that would surprise me and everybody else.

And what a season. I brought home the treble.

League Table

League Progress

I went on a 32 game undefeated streak.

History - Sequences

I did very well in the cups aswell.

FA CUP:

FA Cup Rnd 1: 2-0 win over Leyton Orient (CC League 2)

FA Cup Rnd 2: 4-0 win over Chester City (CC League 2)

FA Cup Rnd 3: 1-1 draw against Ipswich (CCC)

Match stats. Obviously my keeper got MoM

Lost 0-2 in the rematch away.

FA Trophy:

Final: 2-1 win over Aldershot hy:[/b]

Setanta Shield:

Final: 2-1 win over Dag & Red

Players:

Stats

My regen keeper has a fantastic season:

Lennart Christensen

Good season by new signing:

Antonio Bryan

Another good season:

Ryan Charles

Fantastic season by another new signing:

Kieran Gibbs

Another good season:

Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu

Star player when it comes to goals. Signed him only for his finishing and he did very well considering his age.

Richard Walker

Transfers 1

Transfers 2

Manager screen - End of season 2

Finances are still fantastic. Planned a bunch of friendlies for the reserve team.

Finances

Wages are fine too.

Wage budget

Now I just hope the season in CC League 2 isn't a complete disaster.

Originally posted by Peljam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Not seen this one before

Cool. Well cool they suggest it not cool that it's needed. I know you can approach a player and ask them to call a meeting but I've never seen the staff come forward with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peljam, if you could. could you link me to where you get the lower league (witton etc.) logos?

Season 2019/20 Review - Prescot Cables in the Premier League

Following last season's 6th place finish I was hoping for CL qualification this year.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Poor season really, after a while it was clear I was destined for a mid table finish. As sure as I was clear of relegation I started playing a few of the fringe players which somehow improved my results.

UEFA Cup

Got drawn in a tough group and just didn't do enough to qualify. Losing at home in my first match to Marseille meant it was always going to be a struggle.

Squad

Transfers

I went a bit mad in the first transfer window, trying to poach some young talent from around Europe. I'm still not convinced the players I have bought are any good, but my scouts and coaches seem to rate them so time will tell.

Star Player

Yes, him again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peljam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Not seen this one before

Cool. Well cool they suggest it not cool that it's needed. I know you can approach a player and ask them to call a meeting but I've never seen the staff come forward with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peljam, if you could. could you link me to where you get the lower league (witton etc.) logos? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

S'on the website, with instructions too I think.

Are you taking on the challenge with the Mighty Albion then? Good luck!

Just got offered my first job. Championship Burnley want me. I'm very jealous of the huge wage budget they have. Well huge in comparison to mine. It's roughly twice the size.

Archived