dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guiseley Appoint Calvin Bowers As Manager

As with last year, I have decided to be Guiseley AFC due to it being just 15min up the road

It has the added bonus of that little extra challenge of managing a team with no staff or players. Suprisingly, media prediction is 14th!

I'll keep people here up to date with my progress and thanks again to MikaelS for his save game icon14.gif

King's Lynn 2008/2009 Update

A great first season at king's lynn. The squad was made up of the vast majority of norwich's reserve side and about 5 permanent signings i made. We didn't dominate the league with our loanees though although we did top it for about 2 thirds of the season. At one point we built our lead at the top up to 10 points but some pore results let that slip to a single point. And with around 5 or 6 games remaining in the season we came up against second placed side nuneaton, the gap was 2 points at this time. We overcame these and went on a winning run til te final game of the season where we drew but the league was already wrapped up as nuneaton went on a bad run and we finished the season 12 points clear at the top.

League Table

Positions Graph

Transfers In and Out

Normal Starting Line-up

Boreham Wood; New Manager: Roke 'Moe' Lawn

Well, I've decided to give the challenge another shot. I didn't get out of Conference National in last year's challenge but in the inaugural challenge I made it into League 2 before the end finally coming out. I chose Boreham because of their youth academy, although their low reputation will be my undoing.

Thanks to Dafuge and Allan for their work on the challenge and the website, I really appreciate it.

Also, thanks to those who started with a large database and went back to a medium one because of running older computers. I have an older computer and thanks to you documenting your re-starting the challenge with a medium database I hope I can avoid the problems you did.

Finally, thanks to those who post help on the Graphics & Skins forum. I found a skin I like and with your help was able to get background pictures and (hoepfully) competition logos which I like as well. Off with the challenge!

My Profile

08-09 Expectations

I don't know how I have knowledge of Holland, Norway, Germany and Sweden. In any case time to load up on Canadians if they'll come in on trial!

Chippenham Town - Season 2, 09/10 - Pre-season report

Before we get to the pre-season stuff, a self-indulgent screenie of me winning the manager of the season award.

Anyway, a promising pre-season in terms of friendlies with the highlight being a home win over Blackburn reserves.

Twelve players have come in so far. Narada Bernard and Christian Ribeiro strengthen the defence, with Nathan Joynes looking promising in attack. Frankie Artus rejoins us for another season-long loan spell, however all eyes will be on Mark Preston to see if he can carry his superb form of last season into the BSP.

Although the team looks more fleshed out, i'm still weak in a few areas and will continue to look for better players as the season goes on.

Originally posted by Roke:

Boreham Wood; New Manager: Roke 'Moe' Lawn

Well, I've decided to give the challenge another shot. I didn't get out of Conference National in last year's challenge but in the inaugural challenge I made it into League 2 before the end finally coming out. I chose Boreham because of their youth academy, although their low reputation will be my undoing.

Thanks to Dafuge and Allan for their work on the challenge and the website, I really appreciate it.

Also, thanks to those who started with a large database and went back to a medium one because of running older computers. I have an older computer and thanks to you documenting your re-starting the challenge with a medium database I hope I can avoid the problems you did.

Finally, thanks to those who post help on the Graphics & Skins forum. I found a skin I like and with your help was able to get background pictures and (hoepfully) competition logos which I like as well. Off with the challenge!

My Profile

08-09 Expectations

I don't know how I have knowledge of Holland, Norway, Germany and Sweden. In any case time to load up on Canadians if they'll come in on trial!

Welcome back icon14.gif

After a substantial thumping in a friendly against my parent club Norwich, in which two of their reserve strikers scored four between them i put in a cheeky bid to loan them both for the season.

To my shock (and delight) they both agreed to sign.

Chris Brown

According to my coach, he would be a great signing for any championship side.

Chris Martin

He scored a hat-trick in the friendly and according to my coaches he would be a leading star for any League One team.

They should enjoy themselves in the Blue Square North this season then! icon_biggrin.gif

Des Tiny's Gateshead - Blue Square North - 2008/09 Half Season Update

Well I spent the Pre-Season trying to sign myself a squad and find a parent club, oh and some staff and as such I had a shocking run of friendlies as was to be expected.

July

FRN vs AFC Telford.....1-1 HT: 0-0 Att: 167

Fraser (90)

FRN vs Ebbsfleet.......1-1 HT: 1-1 Att: 106

Hines (32)

FRN vs Kettering.......0-1 HT: 0-1 Att: 92

FRN vs Bath City.......1-3 HT: 0-0 Att: 124

Ward (89)

Well at this point I was looking forward to a very long season in the Blue Square North and told my Board I would avoid Relegation. And I was thinking that is all I would be able to do, until the day after I lost to Bath, when Newcastle agreed to be my Parent Club, and I asked for a few loans from them. This was a possible turning point after a poor July.

August

FRN vs Newcastle.....0-4 HT: 0-2 Att: 11660

BSN vs Blyth.........1-0 HT: 1-0 Att: 827

Hines (8)

BSN at Hyde..........3-1 HT: 1-0

Hines (41) Laidler (86,90)

BSN at Farsley.......1-0 HT: 0-0

Godsmark (56)

BSN vs Barrow........3-0 HT: 0-0 Att: 1001

Tavernier (49) Laidler (59) Lualua (76)

BSN at Kettering.....0-1 HT: 0-0

BSN vs AFC Telford...3-3 HT: 2-2 Att: 760

Henderson (13) Godsmark (21) Charles (71)

Well August speaks for itself, I was in trouble when I faced Newcastle and knew it before I started so that was ok, then I moved into m league games and was delighted to knock off my Rival in game 1. Winning my first 4 games was a delight, but I ran into Kettering, who are on 30 games without losing in the BSN and fell to a defeat while playing at my best. Finishing August in 2nd was acceptable to me.

Pos P W D L For Agst Pts

2nd 6 4 1 1 11 5 13

Player of the Month: Laidler

September

BSN vs Alfreton.....3-0 HT: 2-0 Att: 770

Laidler (13) Godsmark (24) Stevens (80)

BSN at Harrogate....2-0 HT: 0-0

Laidler (68) Henderson (77)

BSN at Burscough....0-3 HT: 0-3

BSN vs Tamworth.....3-1 HT: 1-0 Att: 801

Donaldson (3) Tavernier (53) Butler (90)

BSN at Gainsborough 1-1 HT: 1-0

Own Goal (6)

FAC at Ramsgate.....3-0 HT: 1-0

Laidler (9,56) Godsmark (63)

Well I had a couple of hiccups in September, the worst being the loss to Burscough, but the team was starting to form into a clear starting eleven and some stars were shining already. Finishing September in 4th I was looking to improve and have a fight for the title before the end of the season.

Pos P W D L For Agst Pts

4th 5 3 1 1 9 5 10

Player of the Month: Laidler (again the Captain shows his class)

October

BSN vs Workington....3-0 HT: 1-0 Att: 789

Henderson (42) Wrightson (59) Laidler (85)

SSN at Barrow........3-1 HT: 1-1

Laidler (7,58) Donaldson (90)

FAC at Nuneaton......3-1 HT: 0-1

Wrightson (67) Own Goal (72) Donaldson (87)

BSN at Kings Lynn....3-1 HT: 1-1

Henderson (37) Donaldson (61) Godsmark (65)

BSN vs Redditch......3-2 HT: 2-1 Att: 1581

Godsmark (26) Tavernier (36) Henderson (90)

FAC at Workington....2-0 HT: 0-0

Tavernier (70) Hines (83)

Well October saw me win every game I played, but for the third month running I was given third in the Manager of the month awards. I was slightly disappointed with this especially with having moved my team to the top of the league. And two great victories in the FA Cup to top it off. Even the Media saw it as a Good Start.

Pos P W D L For Agst Pts

1st 3 3 - - 9 3 9

Player of the Month: Tavernier (The Midfielder showed that he deserves the position)

November

BSN at Hednesford....2-2 HT: 1-2

Godsmark (23) Tavernier (75)

BSN vs Stalybridge...1-0 HT: 0-0 Att: 1490

Hines (68)

FAC at Chesterfield..0-5 HT: 0-4

SSN vs Nuneaton......1-1 HT: 0-0 FT: 1-1 ET: 1-1 Pen 4-3

Tavernier (49) Pen: Charles, Henderson, Cottrell, Hines

BSN at Hucknall......3-0 HT: 2-0

Lualua (24) Godsmark (38) Hines (59)

BSN vs Nuneaton......2-0 HT: 2-0 Att: 1636

Godsmark (4,30)

FAT at Tamworth......4-0 HT: 4-0

Henderson (21) Wrightson (30) Godsmark (35,41)

BSN s Histon.........3-1 HT: 3-1 Att: 1617

Laidler (3) Tavernier (13) Henderson (16)

Well November saw an awesome season continue, the only bad look from my point of view was the 2 all draw with Hednesford. The loss to Chesterfield looked bad, but I threw the game away as I had a tough run of matches and couldn't see myself beating them and winning the FA Cup. But the Board and the fans were extremely disappointed with it. I was glad to still be in the Trophy and Shield. Top of the League was looking rosy and finally I won Manager of the Month, very well deserved in my opinion, though I thought Tavernier should've won the Player of the Month as well. All around a good month and still sitting above Kettering at the top of the table.

Pos P W D L For Agst Pts

1st 5 4 1 - 11 3 13

December

SSN at Hucknall.....6-1 HT: 2-0

Hines (9) Godsmark (35,56) Stevens (54) Henderson (76) Donaldson (81)

BSN at Hinckley.....3-0 HT: 2-0

Godsmark (27) Wrightson (37) Laidler (71)

BSN at Burton.......0-1 HT: 0-0

Well I lost the last game, but stayed top of the table at the midway point and still in the Sheild and the Trophy which is quite excellent for me.

Half Season Update

Type P W D L For Ags Pts

BSN...21 15 3 3 43 17 48

Cups.. 8 7 - 1 22 9

Total.29 22 3 4 65 26

Home Screen

The Squad

League Table

Position Graph

Des Tiny

Some Star Players

Tavernier - On Loan from Newcastle and the star of the Season so far.

Laidler - Captain Fantastic and keeping Hines out of the starting squad with his goal scoring.

Godsmark - A star upfront, the winger is doing brilliantly leading by example out here.

Wrightson - Bringing a little bit more to the midfield, the loans from Newcastle are controlling.

Henderson - The Third midfielder on loan from Newcastle is putting up some star performances.

Hines - Well he couldn't make the top team for West Ham, and he is a substitute only for Gateshead, a few good performances. Well outclassed by Godsmark and Laidler.

Wilson - Well the fans love the Defensive Midfielder, but the stats don't really support my theory that he is a great anchor for the team and holding it all together.

Now to continue on the title hunt and try to come out on top in my first season.

Hednesford Town - 2008/09 Season

It was a decent end to a largely disappointing season - though our final position on the table was higher than the media prediction of 13th.

Table

Graph

Transfer Market

After trying (but failing) to sign Super Kyle (which later came back to haunt me), I assembled a squad almost entirely on free transfers. The exception to this was my holding midfielder, Dennis Fenemore, an £8,000 capture from Worcester. Despite his quick temper (10 Yellow Cards and 2 Red Cards during the season), he proved to be a fine signing.

Other key purchases included former Premiership star Simon Charlton, central midfielder Gavin Rothery, who is apparently of League 2 quality, and top scorer Jonny Dixon, who, despite inconsistency, hit the back of the net 18 times in all competitions.

Blue Square North

After a tough preseason (which featured BSP sides Kidderminster and Halifax, along with Premiership side Reading and my parent club Wolves), I wasn't particularly confident about my side. What followed was a 5-0 defeat on the opening day of the season to Workington and 2 consecutive 1-1 draws.

It took 11 games to get my first win, by which stage I was sitting just one place above the relegation zone. A mixed bag of results followed, until, from nowhere, we went to Barrow and got thumped 7-0 - Super Kyle scored 2, and Matthew Ogden 4. This, however, proved to be the turning point of my season. We suffered just one defeat in 17 league games, moving from 20th to 11th on the table, just inside the top half, where I had promised the board we would finish.

After this we suffered a surprise 4-0 defeat at Stalybridge, and followed that performance up with a 1-0 loss to Barrow, with Super Kyle scoring a 92nd-minute winner.

Our final position on the league table was 10th, and hopefully this will provide a stable platform to challenge for promotion next season.

Cups

We didn't have a very good time in the various cups, which turned out to be a relief as it allowed my team to focus on the league. Hednesford reached the 4th Qualifying round of the FA Cup (including a thrilling tie against Grantham, in which we drew 4-4 at home, 2-2 away and won 2-1 on penalties) before losing to Bath City 4-0.

Our performances in the FA Trophy and the Setanta Shield were less successful, as we lost our first round ties in each tournament by a single goal.

My Typical Lineup

Is there not a limit on the number of players you can have on loan in FM for Blue Square North/South? I got a little desparate at the end of the transfer window after losing my first 4 by a goal difference of -11 (two games were 1-0 losses, the other two were blowouts. I may have reached 40% posession once). All in all I brought in 12 players on loan, I thought there was a limit of only 4 players in the game?

I noticed Jimbokav mentioned this but nobody seemed to answer in the next few pages. I think only 2 players were from my parent clubs.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a limit in Blue Square North/South or in the BSP. The limit kicks in when you hit League 2 with only 4 players in the squad, though even then you can have up to 8 at a time with 4 season loans and fill it up with 3 month loans as well.

I have 8 players on loan and 5 of them are in my starting lineup. I think 3 of my starting loanees come off contract end of the season so I may try to sign them myself if I can afford them hopefully as they are only 17 Newcastle will let them go :p Though they are putting in stellar performances for me so may be too expensive come the new season.

I just checked and it turns out there are 6 in my starting eleven and only Donaldson and Lualua don't make the team regularly.

But Tavernier, Forster and Godsmark are all off contract end of the season so I will try to sign them, if not I guess I will just survive without them.

Originally posted by A True Fan:

I have seven players on loan, all of them are from other London clubs(I am AFC Wimbledon). Why can't I get players from other parts of England?

Probably do with players needing to relocate rather than travelling from their existing home to their loan club.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cSnakeman:

Chris Martin

He scored a hat-trick in the friendly and according to my coaches he would be a leading star for any League One team.

They should enjoy themselves in the Blue Square North this season then! icon_biggrin.gif

I was in the Championship and still couldn't sign him icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had these two in the blue square north they both scored about 25 goals but chris brown got dropped at the end of the season for being consistant and another player came in and scored 12 in 12.

Originally posted by butts:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cSnakeman:

Chris Martin

I was in the Championship and still couldn't sign him icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had these two in the blue square north they both scored about 25 goals but chris brown got dropped at the end of the season for being inconsistant and another player came in and scored 12 in 12. corrected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by kaNovi:

Finally!

For the first time in 16 years the england job was availible, and i took it. who knows how long it would take to get the chance again.

Looking forward to the challengeicon_smile.gif

Should be interesting to see how the mighty English regens do against those unbeatable grey players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Finally!

For the first time in 16 years the england job was availible, and i took it. who knows how long it would take to get the chance again.

Should be interesting to see how the mighty English regens do against those unbeatable grey players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, hopefully it will go better than with my small spell at denmark.

England still havent won anything, but finish runner up in the european cup, and third placed in the world cup is the best they have done

Finally!

hm I thought it wasn't possible to be manager of both a team and a national team?

Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Finally!

hm I thought it wasn't possible to be manager of both a team and a national team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you have completed the challenge you are allowed to, but not before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikaelS:

Finally!

hm I thought it wasn't possible to be manager of both a team and a national team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you have completed the challenge you are allowed to, but not before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You misunderstood me. As far as I understand, the game does not allow you to manage both team and national team at the same time. But apparently it still is?

Finally!

Im also England manager icon_biggrin.gif

Have been for a while still not played a match yet though.

The guy that got sacked in mine managed to make England drop from 1st in the world to 9th by finishing bottom of there euro championship group, quite some achievement.

Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikaelS:

Finally!

Once you have completed the challenge you are allowed to, but not before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You misunderstood me. As far as I understand, the game does not allow you to manage both team and national team at the same time. But apparently it still is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was and always has been possible. Its also possible to be offered the u21 or u19 managers job of a national side.

Originally posted by Scoham:

Finally!

You misunderstood me. As far as I understand, the game does not allow you to manage both team and national team at the same time. But apparently it still is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was and always has been possible. Its also possible to be offered the u21 or u19 managers job of a national side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

weird. I was sure I read somewhere that you couldn't do that in fm2008. Perhaps my lack of sleep does strange things to my brain.. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Liverpudlian1984:

Dafuge i live in prescot but they never come into the league as their rep is too low. how did you manage to get them??

Took quite a few reloads to get them but I think I'm the second person here to manage them.

Dafuge

My old man got the new Apple IMAC 24" widescreen for xmas so i am gonna ditch my new game with Boreham Wood before i have even started it really (as they have Arsenal and Watford as parent clubs so not really fair anyway as you get their players which is an advantage) and i am going to start a new game on the IMAC and i am starting with Prescot Cables, came up first load!! Full intro to follow icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by ChelseaDaft:

Dafuge

My old man got the new Apple IMAC 24" widescreen for xmas so i am gonna ditch my new game with Boreham Wood before i have even started it really (as they have Arsenal and Watford as parent clubs so not really fair anyway as you get their players which is an advantage)

those "parent" clubs are not for loaning players, its for aranging freindlies only, so no its not an advantage as they wont send you any players..

The Gate... The Story

A much more interesting season this time round in my opinion, really enjoyed it. Just wanted to start by saying thanks to Michael Murray, jj72guy and ondi for the kit and logo downloads, well worth it and make it that bit more enjoyable. Also thanks to Dafuge, since I’d got so bored of FM before I started this challenge, it’s been fantastic so far!

Season 2

The Squad

The day after the conclusion of our promotion, I received a fax from the Football Association. After scrolling through the congratulatory messages and so on, they had given me the new rules for the Blue Square Premier. For long term deals, only four loan players under the age of 23 were permitted, and four over the age of 23. Any short term deals were limited to 3 months per player per season. It wasn’t exactly a shock, but the realisation that my squad of loan players would soon be returning was somewhat worrying. They had carried the team through the 08/09 season, and now I had to rebuild the team around only 4 of those loan players. As I was mulling over my options, Rene Tucker came into my office. “Congratulations again!†he said, “I know you’re busy, but I wanted to have a quick word. I’ve got in touch with the council, they think an open top bus would be fine. I know it’s only the Blue Square South, but still, we can get everyone out, celebrate a bit. Should be good.†“You’ve got to be kidding me,†I replied. “Firstly, we won promotion purely due to the goodwill of John Madejski. Secondly, I don’t think that another celebration would be particularly apt. Agreed?†He nodded at me. “We’ve got enough work to do getting this team in a stable position for next season anyway.†I said. Continuing, we went into deep discussion about our plans for the next season. We concluded that considering the lack of players, a mid-table finish would be a fair aim, and that a £110k budget should be enough to get us some useful players, accompanied by a healthy wage budget with room to spare.

My initial priority was to look at the loan players. I assessed them, and decided that my primary targets would be Simon Church and Viktor Illugason, my top strikers. Thirdly I would aim for the right winger James Henry, with Sigurdsson, the heart of the team in central midfield, being my fourth and final permitted target. Reading instantly threw back my applications for Simon Church and Sigurdsson, informing me that Church would be required for first team duties, and that Sigurdsson was negotiating a move to Millwall. I decided to look for other loanees in Pearce, one of the rocks in central defence, and Jem Karacan, the skilful Turkish attacking midfielder. However, both were required for first team duties along with Church. I began to wonder how I would fare, with the players that had won the league for me being thought of as Premiership players... that was far beyond the ability of any other players in the BSP. Eventually, I sealed deals for Kelly, the left-back who had served me well, and my replacement for Simon Church when he was available, Kelvin Bossman. After negotiating new deals with Reading, the four joined me for pre-season training.

There were several first team players contracted to Margate, including Xavier Barrau, a French left winger who had been scouted and signed on a free from Darlington in March of 2009. My scouts had assessed him as being a good League 2 player, and despite being unimpressed with him on paper, my scouts promised that he would cut it on grass. Also was Ayden Duffy, scouted and seen as a reasonable backup to my then goalkeeper Mikkel Anderssen in October of 08. Another goalkeeper had been signed in the March of 2009, Bertrand Bossu, another Frenchman who my scouts had picked up. It appeared that these two would be competing with each other for the keeper’s jersey over the course of the year. Poul Hubertz was signed as a useful utility forward in April, but didn’t have a chance to play in the team.

In the Summer, we offered trials to around 50 players who had been picked up by my three scouts. Our first signing was the 36 year old Efe Sodje, who I believed would bring experience to a particularly young defence, albeit with a lack of athletic and technical ability. Then in July came a huge number of signings, with Stephen Evans, an experienced central midfielder at 28, with a knack for free kicks coming for free from Crawley. He was accompanied by his partner in central midfielder, the young Patterson. Up front we signed three promising strikers in Liam Marum for free from Woking, Jarred Stevens, and Arran McCarthy. In defence we captured the versatile Chapman, able to play right across defence, along with the young centre back Aaron Beech. After a glowing report from one of my scouts, I negotiated a fee of £55k with Chelmsford for Brian McEwan, with the potential to become a leading League 2 defender, who I believed would be vital in strengthening my back line. He was followed by a couple of younger prospects in the midfielder Thurlbourne and the front man Will Bown. Just as the season started, Kyle Fraser-Allen arrived for a trial. Showing some promise, we signed him immediately as cover for James Henry on the right wing.

The Campaign

As I was busy trying to seal further signings, and look at players on trials, I gave my assistant manager, whom I had my doubts about, the opportunity to organise the pre-season games. The team lost to our feeder club Thatcham, then to Reading Reserves, before a pitiful draw with Rhyl. We were then thumped 4-0 by the mighty Ossett Town, closing with a 4-4 draw with Taunton. I wasn’t sure what to make of it – was my squad below par, or was the assistant manager genuinely as hopeless as he appeared. Regardless, my signings had been made, and the season was starting.

After taking control of the team again, I could see that something had definitely be awry during the pre-season period. We won our first four league games, scoring 16 goals, including complete demolition of Rushden by 6 goals to 0, who unbelievably would eventually finish third in the league. However, we met our bogey team, Dorchester who had beaten us 3-0 in the previous season, and they didn’t disappoint, beating us again 2-0. This threw us from top spot as we followed it up with a draw and a loss. In October we completed the signing of another promising striker, Sam Higgins, but managed to lose 1-0 to Stourbridge in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round. It might well have been the worst performance of the season, with barely a chance created.

November saw Chapman sprain his ankle, and as the only recognised right-back, this caused me some concern. However, a quick phone call to Reading saw us sign Murty on a 3 month emergency loan deal, who in his retirement year saw Margate as a final chance to enjoy some first team action. December however brought further disappointment in the cups with a 3-1 loss in the FA Trophy, to who other than Dorchester. That was followed by a 4-2 loss to Macclesfield in the Setanta Shield. We had managed to go out in the first round of every cup competition. On the one hand, it was very disappointing, but on the other, it meant that we could focus on the league, which was particularly tough. Finally losing patience with the hopeless assistant manager, we posted an advert for a new assistant manager, and John Hall, a youth coach at Blackpool quickly responded. With excellent coaching abilities in mental, tactical and technical skills, he got the job, although a fee of £45k swallowed up the rest of our budget. Starting in January was a BSP game against the good old Dorchester. I told the team that it was about time we showed that bunch what we were made of, and the boys did what was asked of them, beating them 3-1 to avenge our loss by the same score in the FA Trophy. At this point, star winger Xavier Barrau suffered from broken ribs, and we moved quickly to sign ex-Oldham youngster KC Owen to replace him temporarily. However, we then lost to Aldershot and drew with Woking, to leave us languishing in mid-table anonymity. However, we gathered some pride, and beat Macclesfield 4-2, league leaders at the time, again avenging our loss by the same score previously in the season.

That triggered our fantastic 12 game unbeaten run, starting from the draw with Woking, encompassing several thrilling ties, including the game of the season. At the same time, we chased two goalkeepers on free transfers. The first was Greg Hartley, an all round keeper on a free-transfer from Manchester City who pushed Ayden Duffy to the reserves. Despite saying he wasn’t interested, I still tabled a contract offer for the fantastic Alex McCarthy, just released by Reading. As he negotiated with Grimsby, and rejected their offers, I decided it a foregone conclusion, but unbelievably he accepted our offer, instantly pushing Bossu to the bench. With four senior keepers, we sold Ayden Duffy for £1,000 to Hucknall, and relegated Bossu to the reserves and the transfer list. With his £500 per week wage, I chose to rely instead on the young Greg Hartley.

We beat Northwhich, then came up against Southport in a supposedly easy contest. Illugason put us into the lead after 10 minutes with a stunning 30 yard drive, and it looked like business as usual. However, Scannell was on fire, and equalised just 2 minutes later, before putting Southport into the lead in the 19th minute. Illugason equalised in the 45th with just seconds to go, but Scannell still had time to complete his hat-trick, leaving Southport in the lead at half time. After a half-time team talk that left the players in little doubt about the requirement of a win, there was a blistering response by the front men. Illugason completed his hat-trick 6 minutes after the restart, and Bossman hit a double, scoring in the 60th and 70th minute. Illugason then scored his fourth in the 90th minute with a scorching drive to round off an unbelievable performance, recording a 6-3 win.

At the end of the 12 game unbeaten run, we were sitting in fourth spot in the league, looking like genuine playoff contenders with just 5 games to go, and a healthy gap in front of fifth place. However, in the squad with an average age of 19, the nerves began to show, and the lack of rotation began to take its toll, with many of the stalwarts starting the thickly clumped games with a fitness level of around 75-85%. We lost 3-1 to playoff rivals Shrewsbury, and drew with Stockport, before losing a thrilling game with York. However, we ended the winless run to beat playoff contenders Torquay, leaving us with a photo finish on the final day. We and Shrewsbury were on 81 points, and Weymouth were on 79. A draw would see us beat Weymouth to 5th, with a goal difference superior to every team in the division.

The game started very scrappily, both teams desperate not to concede and playing very defensively, but after a pinball episode in the Margate penalty area, Hutchinson scored in the tenth minute. We instantly went into a more attacking formation, desperately looking for a goal. Weymouth didn’t elect to sit with 10 men behind the ball, employing some conter-attacking football, but we never got the chances we needed. We managed to earn just one corner, and 5 shots on target, never providing a genuine threat. We finished the season in sixth place, as Shrewsbury won as expected, only a point away from the playoffs.

The Review

Viktor Illugason was once again the star man with 43 goals in 44 appearances, while Bossman followed him with 25 goals in 43 appearances. Barrau did exactly as my scouts promised, with 40 appearances and 5 goals, averaging a rating of 7.30. Alex McCarthy achieved an average rating of 7.67 in 12 games, far outperforming Bossu’s 6.86 over 37 games.

We had a reasonable season financially, with the losses caused primarily due to the signing of John Hall, the assistant manager, and Brian McEwan, the centre back for a combined £100k. McEwan had been a massive disappointment, with Aaron Beech usually preferred in the centre back position, and I have to wonder whether he’ll ever reach the heights predicted of him. Whatever happens, I won’t be throwing money like that around again.

League Table

Xavier Barrau

Viktor Illugason

Kelvin Bossman

Best Eleven

Finances

Some more screenshots for you

Firstly, the captain Sam Wedgbury, has been a great servant to the club, has both myself and the club in his favourites. However, his performances let him down and the fans called for him to be dropped. I think his low tackling ability caused him to give away too many penalties at centre back.

URL=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/snootyjim/Season2SamWedgbury.jpg]Sam Wedgbury[/url]

New goalkeeper Alex McCarthy

URL=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/snootyjim/Season2AlexMcCarthy.jpg]Alex McCarthy[/url]

KC Owen was signed as a temporary replacement for Barrau, and seems to be far better in terms of stats. However, the scouts say not, and Barrau does the business on the pitch, so he's a benchwarmer at the moment.

URL=http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/snootyjim/Season2KCOwen.jpg]KC Owen[/url]

The hopeless Brian McEwan. How he's ever going to be a leading League 2 defender I don't know.

Brian McEwan

Archived