Yes or No- Your verdict on FM 10

What do you think of the new game?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new game?

• Major improvement
    • Pretty good
    • Same old same old
    • A step in the wrong direction
    • where is my FM 09 cd?

I've played exactly one friendly, against my reserve team, I've looked around for about ten minutes and already:

A HUGE YES, A HUGE IMPROVEMENT, and a huge disappointment that we have to wait until Oct 30th to get this game.

I haven't even started to scratch the surface and already I'm immensely impressed!

• Administrators
I hate you all. I have work in 6 hours, and simply cannot allow myself to even install the demo until tomorrow night, otherwise I'll just stay up playing it til i have to go to work. Then I'll fall asleep at the wheel causing untold carnage and possibly the loss of lives!

That said, I'm keen to check out the new editor.

I'm sure you are, unfortunately the new editor is not included in the demo, so you'll have to wait until the full game! Sorry!

It's a massive improvement so far. Much smoother and better looking ME, new camera angles, a tactics editor that lets me set an overall strategy that works instead of randomly guessing slider positions, highlighted stats regarding certain roles for players, faster gameplay and so forth. Just brilliant, really :D

I simply couldn't get into 09 properly. The longest save I had was 2 seasons or so long. Kept starting again as I thought it was my team/league choices, but *that* feeling never came around.

FM10 has already pulled me in massively. The only thing I can't stand about it though; the timing of the release. I'm going to be completely rammed for time until the end of the academic year. Damn uni getting in the way of my football management career!

I'd vote for 'pretty good' at the moment. I've played a bit more, played a game in 3D and it's good. I struggle to get too excited because i know this is not an actual career, only a taster, so the real verdict will come when i buy the game; and for that reason i think i'll put the demo down after today. I'll play around a little with the new tactic creator tonight and then leave it until the 30th.

My only one issue with the demo really is the interface. I can kind of see how it's more user friendly as i go through - in fact it certainly is, because i remember the first time i played FM 08 and i was completely lost! I needed to use the manual to find out where everything was. This is more simple. I'm not sure whoever was responsibility for the colour scheme deserves much credit though. It's like... white, on a paler shade of... white. It's a bit blinding. And if i lean forward, my white cursor semi disappears from the white background. I understand there's a dark background though, which is good - i may well use it.

Another small, quite insignificant thing i picked up on was the design of the tabs for tactics and touchline instructions. I don't think it works well visually, the red blob incorporated into the scoreline. But that may just be me.

fm2.png

I voted 'major improvement'.

The game looks nicer, the staff feedback is great, and now that there are player press conferences that's fun.

However, I am very pleased with the tactics. In FM09 (the first FM game I played) I was frustrated because I could never create a working tactic. As premier league teams I was losing to crap teams in friendlies- I don't even want to talk about my results in the regular season. Eventually, when I got TOO tired of FIFA Manager, I sucked it up, and found downloadable tactics that I would plug in and use. However, even after downloading tactics, I was so bad with sliders that I rarely changed the settings, even when losing. Now, I created my own tactics and my team seems to be playing how I want them to and, even if they aren't, it's pretty easy to change things up. Also, the touchline instructions and shortcuts to subs/tactical changes/role changes make things much easier.

Damn good so far!

also the match gameplay is a lot more realistic. the ball bends and moves in the air in a realistic way and doesnt just ping around like fm2009. players dribble the ball in a realistic manner, they sometimes knock the ball past players and race onto it which is good to see. so many things about it are great. i have seen a few buggy things like defenders running away from attackers but that is minimal. game looks awesome!

why is there people voting for where is my fm cd,Same old same old,A step in the wrong direction im not saying this about you Ely-matty i know yours was a mistake ..

i bet they think its good but they are just voting the negative ones for fun ....

My mistake, long shots arnt so bad, i had a couple of players on long shots and high CF. Hard getting round these tactics at first.

However i still cant get messi to play like messi, why is it a 433 only when you have three strikers and why cant we get fabs and xavi to provid lthal through balls.

on the main match screen go Into the match shouts and select pass into space, there'll be more through balls than you can possibly need! ;-)

Downloaded the demo last night, went to bed at 2.30 am, am wrecked today...

So far I'm completely over the moon. The real verdict will come when the full game is out and I've played through a couple of seasons, of course, but I am massively impressed. The improvements to the 3d engine make a huge difference, and the new tactics setup makes a lot more sense than in last year's edition. Also, the virtual world inside the game seems much more alive. I'm absolutely loving it so far.

A thought for (next year's?) edition of the game might be an option to design set-piece tactics. Apart from possibly a re-think of the training setup, this is really the only big thing I'm missing from the game as of today.

Roll on November 30th and well done, SI!

Just want to congratulate you guys on the S.I. team with what certainly looks to be the best FM ever.

A finally!! - The tactics builder is now how it is supposed to be, miles in front of the old glider versions. I mean, do you ever tell Messi before a game that he should be 16 of a scale of 20 in creativity, and 17 of 20 in forward runs...? I think not.

This version is really taking it million miles in the right way of having the opportunity to make a real tactic the way it should be, and I have to give you guys much credit for the work you've done on this.

The layout is great too, though the light version isn't my cup of tea. But this can be changed, so no worries.

All in all, am very impressed, and looking forward to relese date!

First impressions?

Wow...

Skin+GUI: 9.5/10

The first FM incarnation I won't download a skin for.

Really nice work. Nice touches (little example: the star ratings are much better).

Crisp. Clean. Tab menus are bliss!

Very impressed.

Tactics wizard: 9/10

Excellent! You guys have brought the football-language to the game...

Although the system is still as detailed as before, you made it look and feel 200% better; don't get me wrong: I kinda liked fiddling with the sliders and tweaking my tactics. But now I feel like a real world manager giving instructions in stead of a computer nerd programming Deep Blue. I'm basically doing the same things as in FM09 only now I'm talking Football iso Sliderish.

I do miss a manual for the moment because I don't fully grasp all the instructions for the moment...when will the online manual be available?

Match Engine: 7/10

Looks better. Loads quicker. I don't have a high-end PC but it is much quicker than FM09.

Only gripe so far: it seems the substitution bug has not been fixed...

Please prove me wrong; I only have played a couple of matches so I'm not 100% sure.

I had one match with 2 subs: no fitness gained post match

3 other players (not subbed) gained 5-10% in fitness.

But again, I might be wrong as I wasn't really recording the ratings on paper (just in my head).

Overall gameplay: 9/10

You guys promised to polish.

And you delivered!!

Better on screen help (eg calendar pop-out giving you the events of that day)

Better feedback from the game world (eg news subscription: very nicely implented and customizable, backroom advice gives me the feeling I really have a backroom staff iso some robot coaches).

I'm discovering nice little things, better implemented features every minute of the demo.

To everyone involved in the making of FM10 (from Miles to the toilet lady and everyone in between):

Great job guys; have a few beers tonight...

Archived