FM10: Official Sunderland Thread - The only North East EPL Team

AcidBurn

You can aim a lot higher then avoid relegation, i finished 6th in my first season with a bit of luck, top ten easily though. I would recommend Cardozo for 7 mill, he scored over 40 goals a season for 4 seasons and Angel Di Maria for 4 mill. Bent is 20 goal a season stirker and Campbell will chip in with 15 +. Good luck mate :thup:

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another month and another few thrashings, but there's a few wins as well..:

0 - 3 Arsenal

1 - 4 at Man Utd (Bent)

2 - 1 at West Brom (Campbell, Henderson)

2 - 3 at West Ham (Bent 2)

3 - 0 Sheff United (Reid, Bent)

We've dropped to 7th in the table after the run of games against the top clubs. We totally outclassed Man United and if it wasn't for the unnaturally good Wayne Rooney we'd have probably won. Instead, Rooney got all four goals - as he usally does against me - and I still don't know how to deal with him. I thought it was a bit harsh of the game to send me an email saying "Hopeless Sunderland Lose Again" after that drumming, seeing as I'd only lost four in a row, three of them being Chelsea, Arsenal and United. Harsh indeed, me thinks. With Everton, Villa and Wolves closing in, we needed a result at the Albion. We took an early lead, only to be pegged back ten minutes later. From then on, it was all WBA. After some tactical tinkering, we came back into the game and Hendo scored in the 85th minute from the edge of the area, ending the run of defeats and nursing my ego. West Ham we weren't so great, 2 - 0 down by half an hour, the angry talk was used at half time. Bent eventually pulled one back and they had someone sent off, so I went 3-4-3 for the last five or ten minutes. No sooner then I did, Noble scored a wonder goal. D'oh. Still, Bent pulled another one back in the 90th minute and it was back on, but it wasn't to be. Sheff United we just dominated, whistle to whistle. Eight games to go, we're six points clear of 8th placed Everton so hopefully we can hang on, although we have some tough games to come. But so do they...

well ive had to start again, got sacked after 9 games in the league only returning 1 point, didnt help that i had to play each of the top 4 within the first 5 games of the season and after that the teams morale was poor

No excuses, i managed to get a win against liverpool away from the stadium of light :D

Season two is in the bag and, overall, it was a pretty good season for us. The last month threw up some difficult ties, as I said in my last update, but we did alright, as you can see:

0 - 2 Aston Villa

2 - 4 at Liverpool (Bent 2)

2 - 0 at Stoke (Jones, Bent)

2 - 0 Wigan (Kirkland o.g., Reid)

1 - 1 at Newcastle (Beckham)

2 - 2 Fulham (Jones, Cattermole)

1 - 1 at Man City (Richardson)

0 - 1 Spurs

Not to shabby, really. Would've been nice to beat the Mags, but nevermind. We won the aggregate battle, which'll do for this season. So, those results left the league table looking like this:

leagues.jpg

Which lands me in the Europa League (or EURO Cup if you like...), which I'm pretty chuffed with because I've never, in all my days of CM/FM (since 01/02) I've never played in it - as I've said before. Good times. I was a bit disappointed that we struggled in the second half of the season, but I guess the CPU figured out my tactics or something..? Still, 7th is a good achievement and the £14mil prize has whiped the club's debts out - more or less. Hopefully Quinny resists the urge to expand the SoL and gives me some money to compete in Europe.

Goalscorers:

Darren Bent, 22 (21 league)

Fraizer Campbell, 20 (15 league)

Kenwyne Jones, 9 (8 league)

Kieran Richardson, 5 (5 league)

Darryl Murphy, 4 (2 league)

Andy Reid, 3 (3 league)

Jordan Henderson, 2 (2 league)

David Beckham, 2 (2 league)

Lorik Cana, 2 (1 league)

Michael Turner, 2 (2 league)

Lee Cattermole, 1 (1 league)

Steed Malbranque, 1 (1 league)

Noone any way near the top goal scorer in the league, which Fernando Torres won with xx. I'm hoping to bring in a few players this year and release a few of the dead weights on high wages (i.e. McCartney). I've already got Alex Smithies coming in, which I agreed last summer, and I've got Hugo Almeida from Werder Bremen and Adel Taarabt who was unattatched coming in for free. Almedia because I thought his 17 for finishing would come in handy and Taarabt I think is a good player in real life and might be able to make something of him. There's a fire sale going on at Blackburn at the moment, but they don't have anyone I want. Fulham on the other hand have Brede Hangeland available for 3.8mil, so I've shifted some wages around and made a bid - as have Sevilla though, so I'm not holding my breath. My main targets are new right and left wingers and a left back, but we'll see how much money I get to spend. West Ham going into administration worried me because my finances were rated the same as theirs, "Insecure". Hopefully TV rights will sort that out...

Just started my Sunderland save. i thought their media prediction is very low (only 16th or 17th!) for a team with good quality. i have bought in Beckham and Van der Vaart so far. Was looking at Ochoa, but he went to porto and vieira but he wants for per week than I can offer. Not got much cash left now so looking for some full backs and I'll be done.

I can only say what worked for me, which is a 4-4-2 formation with a ball winning midfielder set to defend (Cana or Cattermole) and a box to box midfielder set to support (Richardson or Cattermole, first season anyway), as well as a deep lying forward set to support (Bent/Campbell), and an advanced forward set to attack (Jones/Campbell). I played mixed passing at a slow tempo, which seemed to work well. Really, you've just got to try different things and see what works for you.

3rd season is about to start with a game with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea all in the first four games of the season. Yeah, thanks for that. I'm pretty pleased with my squad at the moment, even if I didn't have any money to spend again:

season3team.th.jpg

I'd already paid for Alex Smithies last summer, and he's looked alright in the games he's played. Adel Taarabt I signed for free as he was without a club and I've sent him to Derby to see if anything comes of him. Hugo Almeida is looking good with a few pre-season goals under his belt. Rafael van der Vaart was still transfer listed at Real Madrid, so I took a chance and got him in on loan for something like £600k initial fee and I can sign him for £3.6mil whenever I like. Even though I've only got £4mil in the bank these days (which is a lot compared to last season...), the board have given me £10mil to spend, so I might add another defender or winger to the squad before the window closes. We'll see...

Pre-season went pretty smoothly with some big teams coming to town:

4 - 0 Wisla (Almeida 2, Bent, Cana)

0 - 1 at Derby

1 - 1 at Genk (Maraite o.g.)

3 - 2 Fiorentina (Almeida, Bent, Shelvey)

1 - 1 Roma (Bent)

And we've started our EURO Cup campaign pretty well:

5 - 0 Rad (Almeida 2, Bent 2, Beckham)

3 - 2 at Rad (Jones, Turner, Cattermole)

Second leg didn't go as well as the first, but I played a fair few youngsters seeing as we were already through. Next up in the EURO Cup is AC Horsens of Denmark. I've never heard of them, but they've got a team of greyed out players so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Righty started a Sunderland game just before, went with mid table finish and adjusted the budget...

Signed:

Cardozo - £6.25M

Diego Renan - £12.25M [Alot but he looks quality and I don't believe too many changes are needed]

Two youngsters for a few Mil total

Sold:

Reid - £1M Loan Fee

Healy - £450K Loan Fee

O'Donovan - £1M

Started the season with a dissapointing 2-0 defeat to Everton then in my second game after the score being 0-0 at Half Time I went 4-4-2 and won 4-0 with everybody's ratings skyrocketing! After that result this seems to be my formation:

GK: Gordan

LB: McCartney

CB: Turner

CB: Mensah

RB: Renan

LM: Richardson

CM: Cattermole

CM: Cana

RM: Malbranque

CF: Cardozo

CF: Jones

Subs: Bent, Campbell, Fulop, Ferdinand, Zenden, Bardsley and Da Silva

With the opening few games from Hell out of the way, and a new patch that seemingly loves penalties, here's an update starting from the opening game of season three:

1 - 2 at Man Utd (Jones)

2 - 2 at Stoke (Richardson, Bent)

0 - 1 Chelsea

1 - 1 at Arsenal (Jones)

0 - 1 Aston Villa

In all but the Chelsea game, the result was thanks to a penalty. Unlucky, or something more sinister afoot..? Meanwhile, I signed Martin Casceres from Barca for £2.1mil and sold Ferdinand back to West Ham for £3.6mil, not a bad peice of business, eh? The board surprised me with an extra £10mil the seem to have pulled out of their arse, albeit too late to make any major additions but plans are forming for January. Meanwhile, my Europa League campaign is underway after this:

1 - 0 Horsens (Bent) in the 4th Qualifying Round 1st Leg

3 - 0 at Horsens (Bent 2, Almeida) in the 4th Qualifying Round 2nd Leg

Which put me into a group with Sporting, Espanyol and Litex (*shuggs*), which should be tough, especially after this result:

1 - 3 at Sporting (Malbranque)

Not the start I'd hoped for, but I think it's a group I can qualify from. So, with the big boys out of the way, hopefully I can kick on and get some points in the next few games. We're in 18th at the moment, just above Liverpool and Burnley, so I'm not going to worry just yet.

Second season and...yeah.

Sunderland are a hard team.

Transfer budget is 12 million. I've found a few good bargain players which are just below first team standard but for good players that can actually improve the first team...then I'd need to spend most of my transfer budget. Sunderland are just too middling. Too good for the best average players but too poor for the world class players.

I really need a striker but ajax aren't letting up with Luis and my search for a right back now Mensah is gone (I aint paying 7 million for him!) is difficult- Contra is only average at best.

HELLO SUNDERLAND ARE YOU READY TO PARTY.Just started my first season at the S.O.L drew my first 2 games with burnley and the brum and then went 1-0 down to fulham only for kenwyne jones and fraizer campbell to wave their wands and say thou shall not win today fulham. I have made very interesting signings firstly charlie mulgrew form aberdeen for 1.8m (must try pleasure to work with on and off the field) yipi yapo signed his name on the dotted line from young boys for 4.8m many seen it as a gamble with his injury problems me i saw it as a bargain unfortunantly yip(his nickname thought by cattermole and turner after a night out on the town) he got injured in his 2nd game aaaargh!!!!!! Amir Zaki then walked through the doors of the stadium of shhh... light many fans were enraged by this signing but hes working hard on the training ground and recently scored against leicester in the LC.roque junior then made a return to england on a free and is ideal for cover.Ferraria signed from chelsea for 1.7m but is currently injured but i am sure he will recover lead by example and do well up north.I then diped my hand into me pocket and bought myself not 1 but 2 tasty treats from man u, youngsters Eikream who is AMR and Zieler who is a GK 2 for the future these young lads lets hope their as good as their saturday night discos.so in conclusion not a bad start and some good buys too however any help with tactics and signings would be most helpful. EXPELEAMUS!!!!!!!

Just like the guy above me I started a Sunderland game with the new database which means the likes of Beckham which people have previously mentioned aren't available since he's already at AC Milan so playing with the patched database is quite a challenge imo when it comes to signings.

So far I've only picked up Michael Ball on a free, Emmerson Boyce from Wigan for 3m and Benjani on loan.

Hey guys I just won the league in season 3, its was a tough season with liverpool in scintilating form throughout pushing me all the way to the wire. Berg was by far my player of the season he started rather slow in the first half of the season but was on fire in the second half bangin in 47 goals in all competitions. its was a hugely entertaining season and the players performed admirably. my first team squad looks like this

Gordon

anyukov turner Jorgensen Jose angel

Cana Cattermole

Krivets Richardson

Berg Jones

Bench (from): Muggleton GK, Muiniesa DC, Munian ST, Kevin thompson MC, Latanzi RW(regen), Petrov LW, tom Connor LB (regen), McCartney Lb/Rb, michael potts MC, Frazier Campbell ST, Ferdinand DC,

I think I'm going to start doing monthly updates instead of "this is what's happened since last time" updates, because a fair bit has happened..:

2 - 0 Bristol City (Bent 2) in the League Cup 3rd Round

4 - 0 at Wigan (Almeida 4)

3 - 0 Litex (Bent 2, van der Vaart (from 40/50 yards, seriously)) in the Europa League group stages

0 - 1 Everton

3 - 0 West Ham (Bent 2, Campbell)

0 - 0 Espanyol in the Europa League group stages

2 - 1 at Wolves (Bent 2)

After last season's blazing start (I was in the top four until February(ish, I can't remember exactly), the squad seems to think we should be challenging for the title. A bit random I think. Since we've had such a tough start, we're currently sitting midtable, which is what is expected of us in fairness. Still, the players are unhappy that we're underachieving and are losing confidence in my abilities as a manager, a few players are worried about the lack of squad harmony, usually meaning I'm going to get the boot sooner or later. Still, I'll press on and see what happens. We've got some very winnable games coming up, so hopefully we'll climb up the table and everyone'll be happy again. In the Europa League, we're sitting in 3rd at the moment a point behind Espanyol, who I play next. Hopefully we can get something there and nick their spot in the group table.

Just a short update to get me into this monthly updates thing:

1 - 0 Wolves (Almeida) in the League Cup 4th Round

1 - 3 Man City (van der Vaart)

1 - 0 at Espanyol (Bent) in the Europa League group stage

See? Short. I've been a bit lucky with those two wins, I've got to say. The win over Wolves was through a goal from Almeida in the 91st minute, while I played the majority of both the Man City and Espanyol games with 10 men as Turner got straight reds in both. We played very well away to Espanyol though, so I'm very pleased at the moment. I decided to play 4-4-1-1 with van der Vaart playing off Bent, but that didn't seem to be working too well up until Turner got himself sent off. So I shifted Cana into central defence and Cattermole to the holding role (as in just in front of the defence and not my usual CM with defensive instructions), playing a diamond with Bent alone up front. Surprisingly, it worked very well and we controlled the match. Don't you love it when a plan comes together? That makes the group look like this:

europagroup.jpg

Not too shabby. Basically, I need to beat Litex and hope Sporting do me a favor and beat Sporting in the last game of the group, or I need to beat Sporting at the home and hope Litex beat/draw with Espanyol. We'll see I guess, but I'm optimistic. Meanwhile, I've got Blackburn in the League Cup Quarter Finals, who I'm confident of beating. The rest of the teams in it are all big clubs, and Newcastle, but at least I could have a shot at the final here. Elsewhere, my players are suddenly over their worrying and are happy again. What a difference an afternoon makes.

November is over and Christmas 2011 is fast approaching, here's what happened:

2 - 0 at Sheff Utd (Henderson, Almeida)

2 - 0 Burnley (Almeida, Chretien)

1 - 0 Bristol City (Bent)

0 - 1 at Tottenham

1 - 1 Sporting (van der Vaart) in the Europa League group stage

Leaving us 9th in the table, 2 points off my goal of 7th. Meanwhile, that point at home to Sporting could prove to be valuable, with Espanyol beating Litex 3 - 1 at the same time. We're still in second at the moment with 8 points, Espanyol also have 8 points and we have the same goal difference, albeit they've scored one more then we've conceded one less, so we're ahead on the head to head rule. We'll qualify if we beat Litex and have a chance of winning the group is Espanyol beat Sporting by enough goals. We'll see, but it looks like we'll be having a tough game in the next round should we do it.

Well I started a game as Liverpool, stuffed up the first season, got the sack towards the end of the first year and took over at a newly relegated Sunderland, was a perfect job the squad was still relatively happy and there was quite a large transfer pot to play with. So after shipping out a few unhappy players and bringing in some new blood I breezed through the Championship. Winning with 6 or so games to spare.

The next year I had good hopes of a midtable finish in the PL, spent around £40m bringing in Derdiyok, Moutinho, Elia and some others. However I've found myself 3 points clear on top of the table with just 8 games to go. I'm extremely surprised, Derdiyok has been immense, Bent and Jones have been taking turns going in bursts. Even more surprising is the fact that the team in second is Newcastle. Man Utd & Arsenal are 13th and 14th!!!!!

Happy New Year! 2012 is here and I've got some money to spend! Even though I'm £7mil in the red!

December's results:

1 - 1 Birmingham (Cattermole)

2 - 0 at Blackburn (Almeida, Bent) in the League Cup Quarter Final

0 - 0 at Bolton

2 - 1 at Newcastle (Bent 2)

1 - 3 Liverpool (Burdisso)

1 - 0 West Brom (Jones)

2 - 1 Man Utd (Bent, Caceres)

6 - 1 at Luton (Jones 3, Ricardson, Shorey, Almeida)

Not too shabby, bar the Liverpool result and maybe the Bolton game which was pretty dull. That sees us in 9th place at the turn of the year, still three points off 7th. It's pretty tight from 5th down to us in 9th with six points between us and 5th. Meanwhile, I'm getting ready for the League Cup semi final first leg at West Ham without Darren Bent, who broke his ribs against Man Utd. Still, with Jones scoring three in his last game and Almeida scoring a fairly reguarly I'm thinking we'll give them a chance together.

Meanwhile, in the Europa League:

2 - 1 at Litex (Malbranque 2)

So we qualified in second place behind Sporting. We've got a fairly tough draw, playing Toulouse with the first leg at the SoL. If we progress, we'll face either PSG or Wolfsberg with the second leg at the SoL. Should be tough, but I think doable, seeing as we beat Toulouse 6 - 1 a few seasons ago, albeit in a friendly. I'm looking at some free transfers in the hopes of not having to spend anything and risk administration, but I might bring a youngster or two in and some cover for the right wing.

I started a game as Sunderland recently to try and take a mid table club and turn them into a top 4 side and beyond. I thought they would have good potential with quality players and a fair bit of money to spend. My transfers were;

Players in:

Achille Emana - £11m

Roy Beerens -£7m

Juliano Beletti - £850k

Steven Smith - £200k

Players out:

Roy O'Donovan

Phil Bardsley

Daryl Murphy

My first transfer target was a good winger, Beerens was not my first choice and I did not want to pay so much for him but was left with few other options. My second target was two new full backs, I wanted a first choice LB (with McCartney as 2nd choice) but Smith was excellent value and McCartney remained 1st choice. I decided to play Mensah at RB but bought Belletti as cover. My final target was in central midfield, a more attacking alternative to Cana & Cattermole. Emana was expensive at £11m but was my first choice in that position.

We started the season well, beating Birmingham 5-1 but results from then on were mixed with very little consistency. I tried a number of formations before settling on a 4-4-2 with 2 DMC's;

GK Gordon

RB Mensah

LB McCartney

CB Turner

CB Ferdinand

DMC Cana

DMC Cattermole

MR Emana

ML Beerens

ST Jones

ST Bent

With this formation our form picked up and we headed up the table. Emana was outstanding and an unfamilliar right wing position and Bent was scoring freely with 15 in 18. Jones was not so good so in January I bought Alejandro Dominguez and played him as a deep lying striker. Our form was excellent, at one stage going 8 games unbeaten and going one point away from a CL place. Unfortunately our form tailed off at the end of the season and we finished in 9th.

My ambition for next season is to qualify for the Europa League, athough the wage bill will need to be reduced so some of the highest earning players will need to be sold.

Now starting my 4th season with Sunderland, in a network game with my mate who was Aston VIlla for 3 seasons and has now moved across to Spurs.

I think the squad needs a bit of work initially. Bent and Jones are massively under rated.

Squad as it stands atm:

GK Gordon

DR Kyle Naughton

DC Michael Turner

DC Nicolas Otamendi

DL Jean-Alain Fanchone

ML Kieran Richardson

MC Marco Veratti

MC Lee Cattermole

MR David Bentley

FC Adriano

FC Fraizer Campbell

Adriano was a god send for me, scored the goals Bent didn't in the 1st season, since then ive gone from Owen to Campbell whos coming on really nice. Brought Van Der Vaart and had him til Season 3 January, before finally selling him, biggest waste of money and wage. Gave Veratti the chance and hes developing really nice now to.

DC's in Turner and Otamendi i'm liking, full backs were really cheap TL decent full backs i got last season to replace whats their initially.

Must admit i now find myself struggling as i my teams reputation isnt big enough to attract better players at the moment to move on, good enough to avoid relegation, but not good enough to challenge for a Uefa spot.

Got 22mil to spend at the start of season 4 through good financial control and buying/selling etc. But haven't been able to spend it lol waiting to see what the TL brings

Started a new game with Sunderland on 10.2 over the weekend. I said that the ambition would be to avoid relegation. I am now in mid January and here is how things have gone and signings I made:

Transfers in:

Enyeama - 200k

Seb Viera - Free

Shorey - Season Loan

Mo Diarra - 6.25m

Milevskyi - 2m up front/5.5m over 48 months

Gignac - 2m up front/8m over 48months

Jack Rodwell (Jan 2010) - 17.25m over 48 months

Zapata (Jan 2010) - 8m over 48months

Adriano (Jan 2010) - 2.5m up front/5m over 48months

Van der Vaart (Jan 2010) - 7.5m

Transfers out:

Healy - 625k loan fee/future fee 2.5m - Wigan

Da Silva (Jan 2010) - 2m - Udinese

Malbranque (Jan 2010) - 7m - AC Milan

Mvoto (Jan 2010) - 800k - Wigan

Zenden (Jan 2010) - free - Cottbus

Sold a few other fringe/reserve players totalling a couple of million. Currently negotiating a deal with Bremen for Richardson. Just accpeted a £500k loan fee with a 7m future fee

In Mid November the board give me another 13.5m for transfers.

I currently play a 4-3-1-2 formation

Here is my season so far:

Blackburn 1-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-1 Spurs

Arsenal 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 4-2 Scunthorpe (CC2)

Sunderland 1-1 Birmingham

Chelsea 3-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 2-4 Man. Utd

Everton 2-0 Sunderland (CC3)

Man City 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 4-1 West Ham

Sunderland 3-4 Wolves

Liverpool 1-1 Sunderland

Villa 2-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 4-0 Hull

Burnley 2-0 Sunderland

Stoke 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-1 Bolton

Wigan 0-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-2 Portsmouth

Sunderland 2-0 Fulham

Spurs 0-1 Sunderland

Exeter 2-3 Sunderland (FA3)

Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal

Sunderland 4-1 Blackburn

Birmingham 0-2 Sunderland

Sunderland 2-0 Villa

Portsmouth 0-0 Sunderland (FA4)

After a very slow start to the season I have started to rally and after 8 wins in 9 league games I now sit 7th 1 point of 6th placed Everton.

With Zapata, Rodwell, Van der Vaart & Adriano I have a really good squad.

GK: Gordon, Enyeama, Viera

DR: Bardsley, Nosworthy

DL: McCartney. Shorey

DC: Ferdinand, Zapata, Turner, Mensah

MC: Rodwell, Cattermole, Cana, Diarra, Reid, Richardson, Van der Vaart

AM: Milevskyi, Van Der Vaart

FC: Adriano, Gignac, Bent, Jones

Just finished season 1 in 6th place. I use the 'don chida' tactic (i think thats how its spelt!). Worked really well, scored 101 league goals with Bent bagging 41 of them as a lone striker!

made some great signings, my current team at start of season 2 is;

Gordon

Srna Otamendi Jagielka Diego Renan

Moussa Sissoko Cana

Hamsik

Van der vaart Di MAria

Bent

Bench: fellaini, beckham, fulop, campbell (sol), campbell (fraizer)

I found i could pay a lot for players if i payed installments over 42 months which helped me bring in some pricey talent. Should get a campions league spot this year hopefully.

Just finished season 1 in 6th place. I use the 'don chida' tactic (i think thats how its spelt!). Worked really well, scored 101 league goals with Bent bagging 41 of them as a lone striker!

made some great signings, my current team at start of season 2 is;

Gordon

Srna Otamendi Jagielka Diego Renan

Moussa Sissoko Cana

Hamsik

Van der vaart Di MAria

Bent

Bench: fellaini, beckham, fulop, campbell (sol), campbell (fraizer)

I found i could pay a lot for players if i payed installments over 42 months which helped me bring in some pricey talent. Should get a campions league spot this year hopefully.

Do you have a link to this tactic as I can't find it. Plus that is 12 players in your starting line up

Started a new game with Sunderland once i updated to the 10.2 patch, i started my first Sunderland game before the patch came out and it recently started crashing so decided to start again (think it may have been a compatibility issue having steam update the game).

Got a budget for £10mil.

Upon the advice of this thread i got Otamendi at CB for £4.5mil.

I haven't been able to sell anyone, and i can't get offers accepted for either Van der Vaart or Di Mara, although i haven't done the wonderful monthly instalments, been trying to avoid that as my last game with the lads saw me go through two years of financial turmoil.

I'm playing 4-3-2-1

GK: Gordon

DL: McCarthey

DR: Bardsley

DC: Otamendi

DC: Turner

MC: Cana

MC: Reid (Playmaker)

MC: Cattermolle

AML: Richardson

AMR: Malbranque

FC: Bent / Campbell

I want to replace Reid with Van Der Vaart if at all possible, and then my next priority is going to be getting in proper full backs, after that a better striker (if i can offload Jones + Campbell or Bent).

In my last game both Bent and Campbell did okay to be fair, but i was a mid table team even after three seasons and realised it was mostly because i was too willing to settle for mediocrity.

Played my first game against Hull at home and won 4-3 (was 4-1 up), then drew 1-1 with Arsenal at Emirates and finally i've just beaten Wigan 2-1 at the DW Stadium.

So looking good so far, need to get some extra signings in, any recomendations for full backs?

Started a new game with Sunderland on 10.2 over the weekend. I said that the ambition would be to avoid relegation. I am now in mid January and here is how things have gone and signings I made:

Transfers in:

Enyeama - 200k

Seb Viera - Free

Shorey - Season Loan

Mo Diarra - 6.25m

Milevskyi - 2m up front/5.5m over 48 months

Gignac - 2m up front/8m over 48months

Jack Rodwell (Jan 2010) - 17.25m over 48 months

Zapata (Jan 2010) - 8m over 48months

Adriano (Jan 2010) - 2.5m up front/5m over 48months

Van der Vaart (Jan 2010) - 7.5m

Transfers out:

Healy - 625k loan fee/future fee 2.5m - Wigan

Da Silva (Jan 2010) - 2m - Udinese

Malbranque (Jan 2010) - 7m - AC Milan

Mvoto (Jan 2010) - 800k - Wigan

Zenden (Jan 2010) - free - Cottbus

Sold a few other fringe/reserve players totalling a couple of million. Currently negotiating a deal with Bremen for Richardson. Just accpeted a £500k loan fee with a 7m future fee

In Mid November the board give me another 13.5m for transfers.

I currently play a 4-3-1-2 formation

Here is my season so far:

Blackburn 1-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-1 Spurs

Arsenal 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 4-2 Scunthorpe (CC2)

Sunderland 1-1 Birmingham

Chelsea 3-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 2-4 Man. Utd

Everton 2-0 Sunderland (CC3)

Man City 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 4-1 West Ham

Sunderland 3-4 Wolves

Liverpool 1-1 Sunderland

Villa 2-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 4-0 Hull

Burnley 2-0 Sunderland

Stoke 2-0 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-1 Bolton

Wigan 0-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-2 Portsmouth

Sunderland 2-0 Fulham

Spurs 0-1 Sunderland

Exeter 2-3 Sunderland (FA3)

Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal

Sunderland 4-1 Blackburn

Birmingham 0-2 Sunderland

Sunderland 2-0 Villa

Portsmouth 0-0 Sunderland (FA4)

After a very slow start to the season I have started to rally and after 8 wins in 9 league games I now sit 7th 1 point of 6th placed Everton.

With Zapata, Rodwell, Van der Vaart & Adriano I have a really good squad.

GK: Gordon, Enyeama, Viera

DR: Bardsley, Nosworthy

DL: McCartney. Shorey

DC: Ferdinand, Zapata, Turner, Mensah

MC: Rodwell, Cattermole, Cana, Diarra, Reid, Richardson, Van der Vaart

AM: Milevskyi, Van Der Vaart

FC: Adriano, Gignac, Bent, Jones

*update*

Sunderland 1-3 Man. City

Sunderland 3-1 Portsmouth (FA4 Replay)

Man. Utd 2-1 Sunderland

Have dropped down to 8th but nearly have all of the big teams out of the way. I have Everton Next away Followed by Man. Utd in FA Cup round 5

Hi All,

I have started a new game as Sunderland and will update every few game months or so!!!. A bit contraversial the desicions made so far ie. loaning out jones and cattermole, also buying vaughan for 9 mil!!!!. Bad start as expected as awaiting to strenghen midfield with loans and finding tactics. Have posted my transfers, Tactics and table and ready to begin!!!!!.

Sunderland.png

Sunderland-2.png

EnglishPremierDivision.png

Ok Update Time

January window now closed. Have got rid of the players not needed really annoyed with Cana as he got sent off in a crucial match against hull so he had too go. Will offload bent next window if still in a job!!!!. My aim 1st season to stay up and retain my job second season I hope for big improvements. Have started to structure a squad balancing the books well and being financialy astute I hope. Getting rid of big wages and players I feel will get too many red cards etc.

EnglishPremierDivision-2.png

Sunderland-3.png

Sunderland-4.png

Ok Update Time

January window now closed. Have got rid of the players not needed really annoyed with Cana as he got sent off in a crucial match against hull so he had too go. Will offload bent next window if still in a job!!!!. My aim 1st season to stay up and retain my job second season I hope for big improvements. Have started to structure a squad balancing the books well and being financialy astute I hope. Getting rid of big wages and players I feel will get too many red cards etc.

EnglishPremierDivision-2.png

Sunderland-3.png

Sunderland-4.png

I feel you made some terrible moves in the transfer market.

*update*

Sunderland 1-3 Man. City

Sunderland 3-1 Portsmouth (FA4 Replay)

Man. Utd 2-1 Sunderland

Have dropped down to 8th but nearly have all of the big teams out of the way. I have Everton Next away Followed by Man. Utd in FA Cup round 5

*update*

Everton 2-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 1-1 Man. Utd (FA5)

Sunderland 3-1 Liverpool

Man. Utd 3-2 Sunderland (FA5 Replay)

Got a late eqaulizer to take Man Utd to a replay. I was 1-0 at half time in the replay. Man Utd equalized before Fletcher was sent off for them. I took the lead on 82mins but the 10 mean of Man Utd made it 2-2 straight from kick off before scoring again on 89 mins. Was really gutted.

After the Everton defeat, 3 defeats in a row in the premiership, I bounced back with a good win against Liverpool where I should have won by a lot more.

Still 8th in table. Got Chelsea next then after that the remaining 10 games or so are against sides in bottom half. Hopefully maybe able to snatch 7th. 6th place just a little to far I think.

second season is not the vast improvement i'd hoped for - only 8th in the league at halfway and shipping goals like you wouldn't believe!!

andy woods - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=167266

is the link for my tactic - its not the first one, but the update a bit further on.

what instructions do you use for home & away matches as I can't download it?

Also how do you use the attacking mids? Do you set them as trequesta or whatever it is? How do you use bent? Target man etc

Bent is so rubbish, he just cn't score, he always gets into a great position, one on one with the keeper. But then he blasts it straight at him.

My current team:

GK: Enyeama/Gordon

DR: Lucas Neil

DL: Nickey Shorey

DC: Michael Turner (though he's missed half the second season injured)

DC: Anton Ferdinand

MC: Cana

MC: Cattermole

MR: Alejandro Dominguez

ML: Angel Di Maria

FC (back): Luis Suarez

FC (front): Bent/Campbell

Other first team stand ins

Cosmin Contra

George McCartney

Nosworthy

Jones

Richardson

Smolarek (though he's lined up to be sold to a great Spanish team for 2 million...)

David Beckham

Marco Veratti

Paulo da Silva

A lot of good younger players on loan too. They aren't playing as much as I'd like though. :(

Its weird. No one would touch my crap players in the first season but when I did well in my first (only just qualified for champions league and won the fa cup) people were shelling out for my players. Even ones which had done nothing in the first season- Newcastle paid a million for Murphy!

*update*

Everton 2-1 Sunderland

Sunderland 1-1 Man. Utd (FA5)

Sunderland 3-1 Liverpool

Man. Utd 3-2 Sunderland (FA5 Replay)

Got a late eqaulizer to take Man Utd to a replay. I was 1-0 at half time in the replay. Man Utd equalized before Fletcher was sent off for them. I took the lead on 82mins but the 10 mean of Man Utd made it 2-2 straight from kick off before scoring again on 89 mins. Was really gutted.

After the Everton defeat, 3 defeats in a row in the premiership, I bounced back with a good win against Liverpool where I should have won by a lot more.

Still 8th in table. Got Chelsea next then after that the remaining 10 games or so are against sides in bottom half. Hopefully maybe able to snatch 7th. 6th place just a little to far I think.

Sunderland 1-1 Chelsea

Fulham 0-1 Sunderland

Hull 1-2 Sunderland

Sunderland 1-0 Burnley

West Ham 0-0 Sunderland

Got it wrong. After Chelsea game only had 7 games left. After the 4 above 3 left & currently in 7th position 3 points of 6th placed Everton & 7 points above 8th placed Spurs. Hopefully I can pip Everton to 6th. Does anybody know if you qualify for Europe with a 6th placed finish nowadays?

Also got Caesares from Barcelona & Riquelme from Boca coming on a free at end of the season.

im not sure probably Target man have you tried that??:confused:

personaly i just dont play him i have just loaned him out to sheff Utd !!:D

i brought in cardozo and then some cheap backups kikin fonseca 1mil and llorente 1.2 mil:thup:

i think you should bring someone else in ;)

I had a good game with Sunderland going and I bloody deleted it by accident so going to have to start all over again.

Going to sign Salvio, Garrido, Otamendi and perhaps Adam Johnson in first transfer window.

• 4 weeks later...
start of first season and i've sold malbranque and bought salvio (who is a revelation on the right wing) but need a back up for him, have bout £2-3million budget left?

For what you would get for £3m you might be better off just having Henderson as backup? Unless you've loaded the Mexican or French leagues, in which case your coaches usually recommend a couple of good cheap wing-backs from those countries. Or if you're really desperate you might get Melchiot from Wigan for that sort of fee and train him as a right midfielder. Or if you're really really really desperate Nosworthy can fill in there!

Just started a Sunderland save.. Bought a few players on 48 month deals so have invested heavily.

Here's my team.. Hoping to finish in the top half.

GK: Gordon

DR: Bardsley

DL: Mc Cartney

DC:Turner

DC: Mensah

DMC: Cana

DMC: Cattermole

MC:Reid

AMR: Obasi

AML: Ba

ST: Bent

Subs:

Di Maria

Ferdinand

Campbell

Nosworthy

Henderson

Murphy

Jones

Richardson

Malbranque

Da Silva

Fulop

Shorey

Will keep ye posted on progress!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

really happy with this result second season:

4400747604_d8dfdffd1e_b.jpg

Had a chance at Champs League if I beat Wigan last day of the season by one more goal than Everton beat Fulham, but I was only able to draw, which is a shame, because I was winning 3-0, then my computer crashed and it was 1-1 the second time.

Archived