The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Smith was not released was he?

He didn't appear on their list of released players this year.

As far as I know you are looking to buy him (which may well turn out to be on a free anyway) or loan him again.

Oh yeah I read about that guy. Fulham wanted him too and he was reported to be "widely considered to be the only player in the asian leagues capable of playing in the premiership" and I just thought it was rubbish. Which group of people are widely considering everyone else in the league to be incapable icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Bit like Park Ji Sung?

Park proved himself at PSV, however. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was just a harmless jibe tbh. Sure you understand.

I don’t think Lee is a bad player (not Chelsea material though), just loudmouth, arrogant... He thought he was a star and too good to play at Real Sociedad.

He was good in the WC and apparently he is a new man. In a recent interview on FIFA Mundial (same name in English?), he admitted his mistakes in Spanish football and said he was ready to play in Europe now, even in a small team. icon_rolleyes.gif

The Nigeria Football Association has indefinitely suspended Mikel Jon Obi from all national teams.

The Chelsea midfielder opted out of the Nations Cup qualifier against Uganda three weeks ago citing injury.

And Chelsea sent a letter on behalf of the player confirming he was undergoing treatment in London.

But NFA spokesman Ademola Olajire said: "Mikel's gross act of indiscipline and lack of commitment towards national call-ups is totally unacceptable."

Olajire added: "Since Mikel prefers his club over his country, we can only wish him the best of luck.

As well as missing games for the senior side Mikel, 20, has also not responded to recent calls to play for the country's under-23 side.

"The fact that both coaches do not need him in their squads means his continuous invitation to the national teams is of no relevance," said Olajire.

A country v club row erupted after Chelsea failed to release the midfielder for independent assessment of the hamstring injury by Nigeria's doctors as mandated by Fifa.

Mikel's failure to turn up in Uganda for that assessment led to him being axed by coach Berti Vogts from the Nations Cup squad that defeated Niger 3-1 last weekend.

"The national coach said before the game against Niger that Mikel did not show any sign of commitment that he wanted to play so he left him out," Olajire said.

"The national under-23 coach Samson Siasia also says he does not need Mikel in his squad since he preferred to play for Chelsea rather than Nigeria.

"Siasia is embarrassed that Mikel who played under him - at the Fifa World Youth Championship two years ago - is being disrespectful and disinterested in playing for his country."

Seems there will be no ACoN for Mikel

Originally posted by Walrus:

Just about to post that!

Great news IMO.

Bet they try and call him up for ACoN though.

Definitely. Something along the lines of "If you prove you love your country and come to the ACoN, we might forgive you" icon13.gif

"On June the 16th Pato and his club agreed a deal with Chelsea for a reported £17 million pounds, signing a 4 year deal worth £15,000 per week, the only details yet to be confirmed are when Pato will move to England, reports say the club would like to keep him until December when the Brizilian Football season ends, although Chelsea are keen to take him for the start of the premiership season."

Had that e-mailed to me, no idea of the source though. He's only 17 now but would be 18 by December. If FM is to be trusted with those rules of course. Work permit under the extraordinary talent rulings or is it off to Holland for a year?

Chelsea in Champions League boost

Chelsea have finally been named among the Champions League's top seeds, alongside Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

The Blues had previously not amassed enough 'coefficient' points to be among the top eight sides in the competition.

Liverpool are the highest ranked English club followed by Arsenal, with United and Chelsea on equal points.

Each English side will avoid fellow top seeds AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Real Madrid in the group stages.

England is the only country to have all of its representatives seeded.

Italy's AC Milan, who lifted the trophy last season after beating Liverpool 2-1 in the final in Athens, are the highest ranked team for next season.

Barcelona, winners in 2006, are the second highest seeds and 2005 winners Liverpool are ranked third.

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea will be delighted to be included among the top eight teams after having to negotiate very difficult groups in recent years - including being drawn with Barcelona twice in the last three years.

That was something the Blues boss found difficult to accept, complaining: "For three years we had the European Champions in our group.

"The first season we had Porto, the second Liverpool and the third Barcelona."

As the Stamford Bridge side had only qualified for the tournament once - in 1999 - before 2003, their ranking - which is based upon a team's results over five years, as well as the ranking of their national association - had kept them out of the elite group.

Mourinho moaned: "Being a second seed, you always have a very strong opponent. So when you say, 'What do we have to do to win it?', I think Chelsea need to be first seeds."

The draw for the Champions League qualifying rounds will take place on 29 June.

\o/ Finally. Guaranteed not to immediately face the Champions for the first time in 3 years too. All four English clubs seeded too which is fantastic.

I think that Denilson comment was with regards to my work permit question, not the age limit one FC.

Rumours Man City/West Ham might get Sweep for £10 million - not really fussed whether he stays or goes, would rather he stayed (as cover), but if Roman really wants to stay on even terms this summer I would rather SWP went and we used the money to buy a top right-back.

Originally posted by Go-Go:

Rumours Man City/West Ham might get Sweep for £10 million - not really fussed whether he stays or goes, would rather he stayed (as cover), but if Roman really wants to stay on even terms this summer I would rather SWP went and we used the money to buy a top right-back.

And we would have no backup for our wingers?

Originally posted by ubos:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

And we would have no backup for our wingers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends if we play 4-3-3 or not? Even if we do would still have Cole/Robben/Kalou/Shevchenko and maybe Pato?

Cole and Robben would be first choice, but with Robben frequently injured, we would need a stable and efficient backup. Kalou could be an option but he looks better up front. Shevchenko is debatable and I don't think moving him to the flanks would be a good thing to do if we want him to recover his goalscoring form.

Originally posted by ubos:

Cole and Robben would be first choice, but with Robben frequently injured, we would need a stable and efficient backup. Kalou could be an option but he looks better up front. Shevchenko is debatable and I don't think moving him to the flanks would be a good thing to do if we want him to recover his goalscoring form.

I would prefer we kept Sweep, but if it's a choice between him and say, Alves, I would prefer the latter.

Obviously not that simple though.

Shouldn't be letting SWP go unless we have a firm backup in place. We were short enough on wingers this season and we can't have it happening again. I think SWP would prefer the width he can get in a 4-3-3 too. Always thought he's most effective when he's getting paint on his boots, and that's what a 4-3-3 should be forcing him to do imo.

Archived