The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Walrus:

Popyles - sorry for ranting at you. was in a mmod yesterday afternoon.

cliche alert. It's the internet ffs, rant away if you have a differing opinion. Was all because I read it wrong anyway. Even though now I know what your actual point was I still don't agree icon_smile.gif

We would've played a 4-4-2 without Ballack imo, but Ballack contributed to us trying that strange narrow thing which I hope we give up on. 2 central midfielders, 2 wingers please.

Everone says Tribalfootball is rubbish but I find it quite good.

It certainly told me of all your youth signings this year (Sebek etc) around a year ago, I can't think of any other website who does that.

Benoit2: Do you know what is happening with Bruma (I think that's how it's spelt).. is he still moving to Chelsea?

Hah, it seems after Berluskoni said Sheva's return to Milan is a 80% probability some unrest started. Maldini, Gattuso and Seedorf don't want him back, while Kaka does. Nice. Plus Milan apparently only offered a 2 year loan for 6.7Mil pounds.

He's staying icon_cool.gificon14.gif

And mon the new thread icon14.gif

Blues ready to offload £10m SWP

Chelsea have sparked a summer scramble for winger Shaun Wright-Phillips by admitting he can leave Stamford Bridge for £10million.

Can't believe we would sell him that cheap..past season's performances should have put him up at an higher value than that

Wouldn't mind Chelsea having a stab at Babel if he does have that 6M clause being reported..it' bargain of the summer if he goes anywhere at that price.

We surely can't sell SWP without having another winger in the waiting. Only really got Cole and Robben behind him. Kalou I suppose but he played up front for a lot of last season. Hope this isn't a sign of us continuing with 4 central midfielders icon_frown.gif

Cole Essien Ballack Robben

It's obvious we should be doing that.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

We surely can't sell SWP without having another winger in the waiting. Only really got Cole and Robben behind him. Kalou I suppose but he played up front for a lot of last season. Hope this isn't a sign of us continuing with 4 central midfielders icon_frown.gif

Cole Essien Ballack Robben

It's obvious we should be doing that.

Unfortunately Lampard won't be sold and won't be dropped. So the only way to play the mifield you want is to add Lampard there and have only Drogba upfront. Which I don't like personally...

And considering the rumours of SWP leaving and the rumours of Robben leaving it does seem we will play Mikel, Essien, Ballack and Lamps in the midfield with 2 strikers

Robbie's old man has said he is staying. Plus Jose said on ChelseaTV that wewill be looking towards the 4-3-3 we played towards the end nextseason.

The midfield being a choice between Kenobi, Lamps, Ess and Ballack IMO. With the forwards being Drog through the middle and then the wingers + Sheva on the left and right.

I'd still go for Lamps instead of Obi as I think he's still got it in him to do something silly and get sent off. And Lamps will come good again this season I know it.

The 4-3-3 is the Championship wnning formation and is what we should be playing. But more as a 4-1-2-3-1.

Originally posted by Walrus:

And Lamps will come good again this season I know it.

He's too greedy for a central midfielder. And his set-piece delivery was awful this season.

But as I said he won't be sold and won't be dropped as he, Terry and J.Cole are "the englishness of Chelsea"

God don't get me started on his set piece delivery. Didn't get frustrated much with the rubbish shots as I knew he had the ability to smash one into the top corner at any point, but when he went literally months before putting in one decent corner that was it for me. Unless he gets his act together ****ing fast at the start of the season then that's it. If Ballack was fit in the run in Lampard wouldn't have gotten a look in, if Mourinho has any sense.

Pressure off prudent Blues - Jose

Jose Mourinho expects the pressure to be off Chelsea next season after their summer of prudence in the transfer market.

No longer the extravagant spenders of Roman Abramovich's first four summers in England, The Blues have so far brought Steve Sidwell, Claudio Pizarro and Tal Ben Haim to Stamford Bridge on free transfers this summer.

In contrast, champions Manchester United have already spent around the £40million mark on three players, and Liverpool are also expected to open the chequebook in order to bankroll a title challenge.

With North London rivals Arsenal and Tottenham also looking to strengthen, Mourinho believes the media should not be quick to burden Chelsea with the tag of favourites for the Premier League trophy.

"People ask Chelsea, 'Last season you won two trophies; why did you not win four?' But not many journalists ask Rafael Benitez and Arsene Wenger, 'Why zero?' And not many people ask Manchester United, 'Why only the Premiership?'," said Mourinho in the club's official magazine.

"Is it about money? If it is, I hope that next season the media put pressure on the big spenders because the big spenders for sure will not be Chelsea.

"The spenders will be Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham and maybe Arsenal. I don't know, but it won't be Chelsea for sure.

"So maybe at the beginning of next season they will say that Chelsea are not the favourites any more because the club did not spend so much money."

The ever-quotable Mourinho has also wielded a bizarre analogy to explain the hit-and-miss nature of bringing through his young stars at Stamford Bridge.

"Young players are a little bit like melons. Only when you open and taste the melon are you 100 per cent sure that the melon is good," Mourinho added.

"Sometimes you have beautiful melons but they don't taste very good and some other melons are a bit ugly and when you open them, the taste is fantastic.

"One thing is youth football, one thing is professional football. The bridge is a difficult one to cross and they have to play with us and train with us for us to taste the melon.

"For example, Scott Sinclair, the way he played against Arsenal and Man United, we know the melon we have."

I'm i the only one to think that this won't happen cause the english media will just rather keep pestering JM since he's the only one that will answer back in proper terms

Melon analogy icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif (typical from the part of Portugal he's from icon_wink.gif)

Originally posted by Benoit2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

If you whip out £40m, you can have Mokoena too. icon14.gif

Because you hope he's gonna break Robbens foot again in training? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robben far too pointless to even register on my radar of hate. I thought of the player Rovers need least, and added him.

Jose Mourinho insists Tottenham will be among the five teams chasing the Barclays Premier League title next season.

The Portuguese coach wants to regain the crown he won during the first two years of his stay at Chelsea but warns that Martin Jol's side have done enough to ensure they will be title contenders next season.

Spurs have finished fifth in the last two seasons but Mourinho is shrewd enough to include them within the group of clubs capable of winning the league next term.

Mourinho said: "I think five teams will be fighting for the title.

"I put Tottenham there because they have a group of good players and I don't know why they don't belong to the fight. We are confident.

Nice to see Jose saying something nice about us icon14.gif

Chelsea have threatened to take legal action over newspaper speculation linking striker Andriy Shevchenko with a return to former club AC Milan.

Chelsea say boss Jose Mourinho has not given any interviews to European papers over the 31-year-old striker's future.

"Chelsea and Jose Mourinho refute any of the comments that have appeared in European papers regarding Andriy Shevchenko," said a Blues statement.

"The club and Jose Mourinho are now considering legal action."

The statement added: "The manager has not given any interviews to any media outlets on this subject."

Chelsea have consistently maintained Shevchenko will remain at the club even though he has struggled to adapt to English football following his £30m transfer from AC Milan last summer.

Shevchenko has been continuously linked with a return to the San Siro and only last week AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi said he confident of bringing the Ukraine striker back to the club.

Seems a bit strange really, I didn't read many reports about the whole Shevchenko business but this reads like someone has apparantly quoted Jose on the issue when he has said nothing about it. Can't figure why else they would be talking about legal action just for a transfer rumour.

I do hope he stays icon_smile.gif That goal against Tottenham shows he's still brimming with class. Just got to get it out of him. 'Mon playing 2 strikers next year.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chelsea have threatened to take legal action over newspaper speculation linking striker Andriy Shevchenko with a return to former club AC Milan.

Chelsea say boss Jose Mourinho has not given any interviews to European papers over the 31-year-old striker's future.

"Chelsea and Jose Mourinho refute any of the comments that have appeared in European papers regarding Andriy Shevchenko," said a Blues statement.

"The club and Jose Mourinho are now considering legal action."

The statement added: "The manager has not given any interviews to any media outlets on this subject."

Chelsea have consistently maintained Shevchenko will remain at the club even though he has struggled to adapt to English football following his £30m transfer from AC Milan last summer.

Shevchenko has been continuously linked with a return to the San Siro and only last week AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi said he confident of bringing the Ukraine striker back to the club.

Seems a bit strange really, I didn't read many reports about the whole Shevchenko business but this reads like someone has apparantly quoted Jose on the issue when he has said nothing about it. Can't figure why else they would be talking about legal action just for a transfer rumour.

I do hope he stays icon_smile.gif That goal against Tottenham shows he's still brimming with class. Just got to get it out of him. 'Mon playing 2 strikers next year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few European newspapers quoted Jose saying that "Will Sheva stay? Don't ask me, and don't ask him. Ask his wife. She's the one who decides everything. In my family I decide, and in his it's different. Shevchenko is his wife's slave and is scared of her like a beaten puppy"

That's what this is all about

Jvok...i seem to remmeber the managing director or director of football or whatever at AC Milan saying almost the exact same thing a few weeks ago when he was asked if they'd be buying back shevchenko. Sure you are not confused? If Jose did say that seems Sheva needs to do something about being well and truly under the thumb.

Originally posted by brett.spurs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jose Mourinho insists Tottenham will be among the five teams chasing the Barclays Premier League title next season.

The Portuguese coach wants to regain the crown he won during the first two years of his stay at Chelsea but warns that Martin Jol's side have done enough to ensure they will be title contenders next season.

Spurs have finished fifth in the last two seasons but Mourinho is shrewd enough to include them within the group of clubs capable of winning the league next term.

Mourinho said: "I think five teams will be fighting for the title.

"I put Tottenham there because they have a group of good players and I don't know why they don't belong to the fight. We are confident.

Nice to see Jose saying something nice about us icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He also says Liverpool and Arsenal will be in the fight. He's pished again.

Originally posted by THC_lean:

Jvok...i seem to remmeber the managing director or director of football or whatever at AC Milan saying almost the exact same thing a few weeks ago when he was asked if they'd be buying back shevchenko. Sure you are not confused? If Jose did say that seems Sheva needs to do something about being well and truly under the thumb.

Not confused. It's big news here in Ukraine. Galliani was pretty quiet on the "Sheva return" issue, and Berluskoni was saying about the "80% that we will get him back" until a small player unrest started and Berluskoni declared he want's Eto'O now.

It was really Jose quoted saying that. And even though I don't believe he did - quite a few newspapers published this

Think Etoo would be a much better signing anyway. Younger, hungrier defs a better bet imo. But then again do think Sheva knows how the Italian game works so think his scoring record if he went back to AC would be much better than it was at Chelsea.

Originally posted by zeusbheld:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walrus:

...But more as a 4-1-2-3-1.

does that entail the goalie playing as an outfield player or just addding an extra player? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

New rules next year iirc.

Archived