Athletic Bilbao: Basque Players Only

Le Pays-Basque many interpretations of nationality as it isn't a nation. IMO Bilbao is technically racist, but I wouldn't use that word as it implies negative feelings like hate. Bilbao wants to promote local growth of their local youth, just as other La Liga teams promote Spanish growth with the 3 foreigner rule (EU growth at least).

Talk about contradicting yourself, LMAO, so the fact I have come up with an example which proves my point is not a very good example?

They don't make 'exceptions' as you put it. Apart from one time, the player was Bixente Lizarazu. The fact they signed the Brazilian isn't an 'exception to rule', it's how they operate now.

I'm not arguing with you, I can't be bothered to, you have your idea's, I'll have mine. I'm not bothered if you believe me or not, in fact I couldn't care less so I think we can leave this there. :D

You don't know what you're talking abou do you? If you had known the facts you wouldn't say that I was contradicting my self... Lizarazu is Basque as he is from the Basque part of France..... so he wasn't an exeption... The same with Fernandez who coached them, he was also from the Basque part of France... I don't have to believe you as I know you're wrong. Suggest you check the facts before you post....

Also Patxi was signed a long time ago, show me some examples from the last ten years.... Another element that made them make an exeption signing Patxi is that he started out his career at the Athletic before moving around to A. Madrid, then Sevilla and Valencia before returning to Athletic...

While in theory it does allow non-Basques to play for Athletic Bilbao, at what stage do you become a "naturalised Basque"? Racism, just like that, is subjective.

I don't know if it's worth bringing EU law into this as I don't think it's relevant - EU law prevents discrimination based on nationality, but the Basques do not officially have a country recognised under the EU.

So if an Italian kid asks to join Athletic Bilbao, would he be accepted for a trial?

If no, surely this is racism.

They are discriminating against every other nationality, not just one.

It's racism but not racial hatred, which is why it can be somewhat tolerated. But it's still racism.

That kind of thing happens everywhere.

In USA, if a fat/ugly woman wants to be a hooter, she will be rejected for being hideous.

Sometimes people are deported from europeans coutries and usa for example, only because they're from certain nations.

And a whole bunch of other examples.

That kind of thing happens everywhere.

In USA, if a fat/ugly woman wants to be a hooter, she will be rejected for being hideous.

Sometimes people are deported from europeans coutries and usa for example, only because they're from certain nations.

And a whole bunch of other examples.

I'll talk about the former later while I'm not at work. :)

The latter is a law designed to protect citizens of a nation. Most countries reserve the right to deport foreigners from their country as a means to protect their citizens - immigration is arguably a bigger threat to these nations than racism. I'm not sure maintaining footballing culture is a bigger threat than racism.

Can this be changed in the editor for other clubs?

I hope that this can be done in a DDT or something, like:

"ONLY_SIGN_NATIONALITY" "329" "932"

where 329 is the ID for Athletic Bilbao and 932 is the ID for Basque (fictional IDs, of course).

So if we don't want this restriction, we can remove it.

I'm not criticising Athletic Bilbao for their policy. I'm just saying that it is racist to some degree. It clearly puts them at a disadvantage - if the newest Lionel Messi was Italian and asked to join Athletic Bilbao, they'd reject him, for example.

Racism is beyond "black" and "white".

The Barcelona comparison with Cruyff is different - here, Barcelona will reject players who cannot play in the Barcelona philosophy which has nothing to do with race.

If it's not racist it is at least discriminatory against things other than ability.

You do understand that young players don't just "ask" to join proffesional clubs, don't you? Bibao will do their youth scouting in the Basque region where, guess what, most of the boys will be Basque!

You are one of the biggest blethers I have ever came across on here.

Its not racist.

No player gets offered a contract or is even approached to sign and then rejected because they are foriegn.

Honestly the people arguing that they should be forced to sign foriegners are probably the same people who think that every company must have at least a few token Black people, Gay people, Religious people (be it catholic, protestant, mulsim, jewish etc...), disabled people etc. etc. etc. without regard to the skills required for the job.

(i personaly live by "whoever is best for the position gets it... regardless of race or creed")

Bringing it back to FM-related discussion, I do think it would be interesting to see precisely how the FM10 editor allows changing of rules. Quite a few leagues in the game at the moment have a limit on non-EU players. It would be interesting to see if the league editor allows replicating that kind of a restriction, and even if it allows restrictions to be added per-team, in order to do Basque-type situations.

Athletic Bilbao decision is nationalist, but not racist (they are not against any race! In fact, their "race" has suffered a lot in the past.). Moreover, fifty years ago, foreigners were rarely allowed in any European soccer team (UK, Germany, France etc). Basque country is now just trying to promote their own culture and identity, after decades of repression. But their strict policies are changing. Give them a break please...

I am now playing with Spanish teams, because I am doing some research work about Spain (true, hehehe). A bit off-topic, but if I may suggest, one of the best books about Spain, Basque and Catalan situation is "The New Spaniards" by UK journalist John Hooper. Cheers.

Archived