FM09: Official Aston Villa F.C. Thread

SeanH91

Aston Villa F.C. Guide - Football Manager 2009

k99b41.png

Basic Introduction

Aston Villa Football Club is an English professional football club based in Aston, Birmingham, who currently play in the Premier League. The club was founded in 1874 and have played at their current home ground, Villa Park, since 1897. Aston Villa were founding members of The Football League in 1888 and the Premier League in 1992. The club was floated by the previous owner and chairman Doug Ellis, but in 2006 full control of the club was acquired by Randy Lerner.

They are one of the oldest and most successful football clubs in England, having won the First Division Championship seven times and the FA Cup seven times. Villa also won the 1981-82 European Cup, one of only four English clubs to win what is now the UEFA Champions League. Aston Villa is the fourth most successful club in English football history, having won 20 major honours, although many of these were won before the Second World War and the most recent was in 1996.

They have a long-standing and fierce rivalry with local rivals Birmingham City, although West Bromwich Albion is actually the closest professional football club to Villa Park. The Birmingham derby between Aston Villa and Birmingham City has been played since 1879.

The club's traditional kit colours are claret shirts with sky blue sleeves, white shorts and sky blue socks. Their traditional crest is of a rampant gold lion on a light blue background with the club's motto "Prepared" underneath. The crest was revised and modified in 2007.

Club Information

Background

Name: Aston Villa F.C.

Nickname(s): The Villa, The Villans

Founded: 1874

Fierce Rivals: Birmingham, West Bromwich Albion

Other Rivals: Coventry, Wolves, Leicester

Legends: Randy Lerner, Ron Saunders, Dennis Mortimer, Paul McGrath, Brian Little, Peter Withe

Club Icons: Martin O'Neill, Charles Krulak, Ian Taylor, Gordon Cowans

Favoured Personnel: Olof Mellberg, Dion Dublin, Juan Pablo Angel

Media Prediction: 6th

European Competition: EURO Vase

Team Captain: Martin Laursen

Vice Captain: Nigel Reo-Coker

Staff

Manager: Martin O'Neill

Assistant Manager: John Robertson

Coach: Steve Walford

Coach: Kevin MacDonald

GK Coach: Seamus McDonagh

Fitness Coach: Jimmy Hendry

Youth Coach: Rafa

Youth Coach: Tony McAndrew

Youth Coach: Bryan Jones

Youth Coach: Gordon Cowans

Youth Coach: Steve Burns

Physio: Stuart Walker

Physio: Alan Smith

Physio: Paul Rastrick

Physio: Roddy McDonald

Physio: Chris Malkin

Scout: Ian Storey-Moore

Scout: John O'Hare

Scout: Mel Machin

Finances

Estimated Value: £128m

Balance: £48.72m

Transfer Budget: £7m (Winner), £6.5m (Title Challenge), £6m (Continental Qualification), £5m (Top Half Finish)

Wage Budget: £650k (Winner), £625k (Title Challenge), £600k (Continental Qualification), £550k (Top Half Finish)

Current Wage: £498k

Stadium & Facilities

Ground: Villa Park

Capacity: 42,640

Expansion Capacity: Approximately 50,000

No. of Season Ticket Holders: 16,323

Average Season Ticket Price: £449

Average Ticket Price: £34

Reserve Stadium: The Bescot Stadium

Training Facilities: Top Training Facilities

Youth Setup: Excellent Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

1. Brad Friedel

13. Stuart Taylor

22. Brad Guzan

Defenders

2. Luke Young

3. Wilfred Bouma

5. Martin Laursen

15. Curtis Davies

16. Zat Knight

21. Nicky Shorey

24. Carlos Cuellar

48. Nathan Baker

Midfielders

4. Steve Sidwell

6. Gareth Barry

7. Ashley Young

8. James Milner

17. Moustapha Salifou

18. Wayne Routledge

19. Stiliyan Petrov

20. Nigel Reo-Coker

26. Craig Gardner

27. Isaiah Osbourne

Forwards

9. Marlon Harewood

10. John Carew

11. Gabriel Agbonlahor

14. Nathan Delfouneso

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers:

Friedel, in my opinion, has been short-changed a bit in this version. Despite his age, I still see him as one of the top 5 goalkeepers in the league in real life, yet on the game he's a bit short in areas, which makes him only good enough for backup. So a new first choice GK should be on your list. However, if needs be, I'm sure Friedel will be able to stay as your No. 1 for the first season, until you can generate some serious money for a quality replacement. Also, the young goalies at Villa aren't up to much, so I'd look for a youngster with great potential.

Left Backs:

Stats wise the 2 best left backs, Shorey and Bouma, are pretty even. However Bouma is injured for 7 months at the start, so Shorey is guaranteed first choice here. I would look to loan in a solid left back until Bouma has recovered from his injury. Youth wise, the best looks to be Shane Lowry who, if you believe John Robertson, has the potential to be as good as Shorey. So keep an eye on this young lad as he could come through and do well for you.

Right Backs:

Luke Young looks pretty good here, however there isn't much in the way of backup for this position. I'd suggest buying a good player here, either to be backup to Young, or to be first choice with Young as backup, your choice. Again youth wise it looks pretty dire here, so youngster should be brought in for the future.

Centre Backs:

This is one position in the team that looks really solid, even the backup players. There are the making of an excellent first choice partnership in Martin Laursen and Carlos Cuellar, with Curtis Davies and Zat Knight providing the backup. However, if I were to make any changes here, then I'd look to sell Knight and bring in a better backup. Saying that, it's not an urgent need to do this so don't if you don't want to. Once again the youth needs investment here.

Defensive Midfielders:

No need for any changes here, you have two very very good players in Reo-Coker and Petrov for this position. A youngster with potential is required here also.

Central & Attacking Midfielders:

Barry is obviously top quality, and should be hitting his peak in a season or so. Sidwell, Salifou and Gardner are all capable of providing excellent cover. And if you take Reo-Coker and Petrov into this category, you've got a potentially world class midfield on your hands.

Wingers:

In my opinion this is the strongest position in the team. There are 3 amazingly talented wingers in Young, Agbonlahor and Milner, and with Routledge for cover, it makes for a deadly attacking flank. Youth wise it's pretty poor here too, invest.

Strikers:

Carew is obviously first choice up top, playing as a target man. That only leaves Harewood, who I consider second rate, so you'd do well to invest in a backup player. Agbonlahor can also play here to support the big man if needs be. There is a very exciting young striker in the youth ranks called Nathan Delfouneso, who has the potential to become a leading Premiership striker in the future.

Recommended Formation and Lineup

I'm not saying this is the way you should play as Villa, but it is the way that I would personally play. Please note that this is without any sales or signings, just the original squad:

GK: Friedel

DR: Young

DL: Shorey

DC: Laursen

DC: Cuellar

DM: Reo-Coker

MC: Barry

MC: Petrov

AMR: Agbonlahor

AML: Young

ST: Carew

So basically I'd go for a Mourinho-esque 4-3-3, with the wingers tracking back when the team is defending, and the full backs providing overlapping support when attacking.

Star Players

player-image-109348.jpg

Martin Laursen

player-image-25775.jpg

Gareth Barry

player-image-101278.jpg

Ashley Young

These are the players I consider to be the best at the club, and wouldn't sell them for anything. Well maybe a silly offer like £60m or something, but no less.

That's all I have to say, so have fun if you're going to play as the Villans this year!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

corbs87

Amateur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playing as Villa on the demo. have bought marcelo for 4.4mil, balotelli for 10.25, rossi for 9.25 and saivet for 2.2 so should be no shortage of goals then.

How did you afford them? You must have sold. Please tell me who you sold, to whom, and for how much. I'd love to bring in Balotelli and Rossi!

used all the old tricks asked for more money off the board, got it. asked for more wages and they refused but the wage budget was well over so adjusted budgets and got like 29 mill. also sold marlon h for about 3 to fulham. and think i sold taylor for about 1 to top it off.

Has anyone got a tactic for Villa thats working well-ish, I'm having real issues at the moment, tried to mimic the real 4,3,3 to no avail. Been through about 5 different formations and end up at the bottom of the league. An upload would be greatly appreciated if anyone is having luck. (or send to me via msn if you prefer, PM for MSN address).

Thanks!

P.S. Good thread.

Has anyone got a tactic for Villa thats working well-ish, I'm having real issues at the moment, tried to mimic the real 4,3,3 to no avail. Been through about 5 different formations and end up at the bottom of the league. An upload would be greatly appreciated if anyone is having luck. (or send to me via msn if you prefer, PM for MSN address).

Thanks!

P.S. Good thread.

4-4-2 been working great for me, and that is Villa's preferred formation, have only played a 4-3-3 this season when they had little other choice from player selections.

So how is everyone getting on today?

Just started the game (with A LOT of faffing around due to graphics card problems) and finding that my budget is £6m with continental qualification. Asked Mr Lerner for more... no. Asked to increase wages.... no.

On the plus it looks like Harewood is on his way to West Brom for £4.5M.

So how is everyone getting on today?

Just started the game (with A LOT of faffing around due to graphics card problems) and finding that my budget is £6m with continental qualification. Asked Mr Lerner for more... no. Asked to increase wages.... no.

On the plus it looks like Harewood is on his way to West Brom for £4.5M.

I bought the game first thing this morning but can't play it until after work, gutted!

How did you manage to get £4.5m for Harewood? Are his stats any good?

His stats aren't great, could (should) be worse... I just offered him to clubs (after TL him and squad status of not needed) with an asking price of £4.5M. Quite a few clubs were interested. It is over 24 months though, and on his game you only get the money in your budget in installments, last game you got it all added to your budget in 1 go.

im playing as villa with a 4-4-2 didnt make any permanent sighings as i thought they looked prity strong i did make some loan signings though, belleti on loan from chelsea is very good, miguel torres from real madrid is also great. I tried eidur gudjohnsen aswell but he hasnt impressed so will not be looking to bring him in permanently

Still not received my copy in the post :( but going to try and do the same with the real game as the demo.

8 games in, 3rd in the league.

Quite a few out including Taylor, Knight, Osbourne and plenty of reserves.

In, Sakho, Saivet, Rossi, Balotelli, Marcelo, Diarra.

Hobgob.

started a game with the villa as i wanted a decent mid tabled club with good prospect...

set myself up like this

Friedel

Gardner  cueller  Laursen  Shorey

Sidwell  R-coker  Barry

Gabi                         Young

Carew

looking to bring in youngsters mainly.. hopefully british..

James Mccarthy

Mattock

Beevers

these 3 are my main 1st season targets

im destroying the league having sold james milner to blackburn for £15 mil, and tweaking the budgets, heres my team

Goalkeeper: Friedel

Defenders: Paulo Ferreira, Cuellar, Laursen, Young

Midfielders: Pedersen, Barry, Veloso, Bullard, Young

Striker: Agbonlahor

play 4,5,1

unlucky, same happened to me, signed ronaldo+donovan on a free transfer earlier in december, which went through on 1st january. on the 26th i played west ham and 2 of my strikers got injured and i play a 4-3-3 so it was lucky i signed the other 2 strikers :)

ive sold:

Marlon harewood to West Brom for £4.5 million

Salifou to salzburg for under a mill

Zat knight to pompy for 2.7mill

routledge to celtic for 1.5

petrov to pompy for 2Mill

signed:

belleti on a loan from chelski(sick player)

fiore for free

owen for 6M

Lassana diara for 16M(rush buy as it was last day of transfer window)

soley for free

donovan for free

ronaldo for free

costa for free

17mill offer for barry what should i do:?

Archived